As a 4 week Canberra 'expert' here's my top 10!

Guest J291B

Hi all -

I used this site to gain info before coming out here and so thought I should repay the kindness shown to my inane questions with my initial thoughts. Please bear in my we have only been here a short time so the views expressed may seem immature to those who have been here a while. Also, while calling this a top 10 I have absolutely no idea what I am going to write so it may be a top 6 or 7 - we'll see.

1. Canberra is great (always good to start with a mass generalisation!). It has everything that a family could want and I agree with all the Canberrans I have met that it is 'easy living.' Everywhere appears to be about 12 minutes from everywhere else, it is clean, we feel safe, nice ammenites, shops and restaurants and - and this is the big one - the people are nice. Granted everyone has good and bad days and some folks are nicer than others, but overall the general attitude towards fellow human beings is much more positive. People start conversations much more readily and seem genuinely interested (unlike Americans).

2. The flight over is fine and kids adjust easily (just like everyone told me they would). My only point on the travel is to be aware of the transfer into canberra. The flights up to Sydney were great but then it is a step down from international travel to a much more localised affair. This means checking kids buggies at check-in not handing them over as you board the plane, small hand luggage allowance and far fewer facilities at the domestic terminal. None of this is insurmountable but forewarned is forearmed.

3. Canberra is not Sydney. But would the reality of living in sydney be an apartment overlooking Bondi beach with sun 365 days a year? For the non-millionaires amongst us I would suggest not, so comparing like with like Canberra has lots of positives and doesn't have: a dangerous 'undercurrent', long commutes, and everyone wanting to be seen to be having a good time. Again I go back to my (long standing) Aussie friends - easy living. Yes I would love it to be closer to the coast but I'm told gorgeous coastline is 90mins away - that'll do.

4. So far the weather has been a really pleasant surprise - it is winter and can get cold overnight but the days have been clear, warm (nearly t-shirt temps), with predominantly blue skies and crisp clean air. Dark early-ish (5-5.30) but this is winter! We'll see what the summer brings (I'm sure I'll complain its too hot).

5. Loads to do (aimed at families primarily but I think true for all). It is a national capital (though acknowledged so begrudglingly) after all. Parks everywhere with well maintained play areas (about a milliion percent better then general UK facilities), all types of cafes (coffee shops every three steps), restaurants (and much more kid friendly), healthy fast food joints in the US type malls (not just McDs but loads of healthy options too), Questicon (think science museum aimed at kids from 0 - 14 (& up to about 36 apparently!), Zoo, Pools, Soft play areas, Cinema, Pubs, Clubs - you get the picture.

6. Some things are a little less developed (don't hate mail me!). For example it - it takes ages to get internet, TV and phone installed; mobile deals are hard to come by and overly complicated, and convenience food is non-existant (no microwave meals - a positive negative). So, buy or bring: broadband USB stick, SATNAV and some patience. They still charge for bank current accounts!

7. Childcare (nurseries) - hard to come by, expensive and I would argue not as professional as the UK. Ratios are 1:5 for all age groups compared to 1:3 for littl'uns in the UK. As a result nurseries are somewhere safe to put your kids as opposed to somewhere that will have the time to develop them (accepted generalisation). Individual staff members obviously vary greatly - we're lucky so far! We are paying $80/day for our kids. To secure places we had to pay for Jun even though we didn't arrive till July.

8. Red meat, milkshakes and petrol are much cheaper. Wine and books are more expensive. I've mentioned this before and Quoll queried me; however, I am an avid reader and book prices here are ridiculous. So I just suck on a milkshake loitering in Borders!

9. People are more forthright - and I mean this in a good way. There appears to be little front with people (the second hand car dealers I've met excepted). What you see is what you get. This is coupled with a welcoming, friendly attitude.

10. I'm told - but have yet to experience firsthand - that this being the capital it is full of souless bureaucrats who don't know how to have fun. In my experience like tends towards like. We're having fun.

11. It is not all BBQs. On an inidivudual level people are laid back. At work the Aussies are not shy of putting the hours in (though I would suggest an element of process monkey presenteeism) and you will be expected to do likewise. Fine - they are welcoming you to their country - its not a free ride.

And that will probably do - just rambling now and I've got the ironing to do (see point 10!). Very happy with the unique circumstances that have put us here for 2 years. Happy to answer any questions from a newbie perspective, meet for a coffee or milkshake or beer - whatever. Wife also here and not working yet, kids are 3 and 8 months (hence we're permanently tired) play dates also an option!

G'Luck you all - be happy with ACT as a choice

Jim

Guest proud2beaussie

Thanks for an extremely comprehensive post,very well written with lots of good information that I am sure will be very usefull for others.

Sounds like it's worked out fairly well for you,I hope your wife is able to find work soon,all in all a really positive post and we all wish you lots of good luck and hope you have a bright future here in Australia.

PIO is always here for you if you need help-just yell and someone will come a runnin! lol.

Thanks again for your post.

Cheers

N'OZ

Guest boothy

Thanks for a great post - we are hopefully heading to Canberra soon (me 29, Hubby 31 & 2 girls 6 & 3)

Any advise/comment would be fab such as - How have you found the process/task of finding accomodation. Did you line up before you left the UK? Are you in rented?

Cheers

Sam

Good to hear!

See, people never believe me when I say that it is a nice place to live:biglaugh:

I think you may be able to get a fee free bank account - mine doesnt have fees because my wages go into it - you may want to ask around!

Ah yes, the domestic transfer - big shock after a big plane - and did you get the bumps on the way in to Canberra, it can get really turbulent which is also a huge shock after the big plane!

LOL I dont doubt that books are more expensive here - what I meant was that you should have seen the prices BEFORE Borders!!!!!! If I see a milkshake loiterer in Borders I will say hi!

Ouch on the child care - when I checked for a newbie a while ago I was told $65 a day but I guess with the ABC closing down places are at a premium and it is a sellers market.

Accommodation is really tight at the mo so if you got something you did well - it will be getting tighter up to Christmas too with all the newbies coming in.

Spring is just around the corner - I'm glad you like it!

Hi Jim

Thank you for your wonderful post & the information.

All going to plan my hubby & me should be arriving in Canberra 14th September and as I expect you found the getting sorted before you leave is stressful enough let alone wondering what its going to be like once you arrive, so your notes have really helped. please keep us all updated on your progress.

9. People are more forthright - and I mean this in a good way. There appears to be little front with people (the second hand car dealers I've met excepted). What you see is what you get. This is coupled with a welcoming, friendly attitude.

I work at Pickles Auctions, we sell about 60 cars a week, if you come down and want a car I will tell you how it is as I don't get any commission on the sale of a car (wish I did though), also you'll prob find you get more car for your money!

Just letting you know if you want one

Guest mikka711

Great post Jim thanks - may I ask how did you find getting accomodation sorted? I'm kind of assuming you're in a rental, so how straightforward/tough is it getting a decent rental?

cheers, Mikka

Hi all glad my post was of some use. To those wondering about accommodation I'm afraid I can't help much as it was all sorted through my work. We spent three weeks in an apartment and have just moved into our house. The apartments were the Mantra on Northbourne and I really can't praise them highly enough. Young, really helpful staff, room service from the restaurant at no extra charge (obviously it takes a while when they are busy), heated indoor pool and just really wilco. We were in a 2 bed and they agreed to put a bed in the lounge area too so it was in effect a 3 bed. I won't lie and say there was no noise from the town but there was certainly nothing the air con didn't drown out! It is close enough to walk into civic but not near enough to hear the noise from the 24McDs under executive apartments!

Work offered me a house in Yarralumla and so far we are very happy with it. Sorry - don't know any other areas well. A friend is in a new estate in Quenbeyan and he loves it, apparently it is fast growing and up and coming. Likewise another friend is happy in Gunghalin - though the houses look a little stepford wives to me :). All I would say is nowhere is too far from anywhere in Canberra.

Must dash as I'm going to see if Pickles caters for the lower end of the car market!! (will be interesting to see if I bump into Nik (above).

Still happy here, still recommending it, still drinking shakes.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for the useful post. We are still waiting for our result .. a long way to go..

Please update us with your progress, would really love to read more from you .

Thank you so much for sharing.

ching

books are more expensive.

Jim

Hi Jim

Sorry this has got b*gger all to do with Canberra (and I don't live there either :smile: )

but just as a thought, maybe do as I do -

browse Borders to find books you like the look of - then order them through Amazon!

even with postage it works out cheaper!

If you have a QBD Bookshop in the area, sign up for their reward card as every little helps.

Fantastic post btw, good to see someone put an honest straightforward post on here.

Lyn

Must dash as I'm going to see if Pickles caters for the lower end of the car market!! (will be interesting to see if I bump into Nik (above).

Still happy here, still recommending it, still drinking shakes.

Jim

Not wanting to take any business from Nik of course but you do know about the used car markets too? At Exhibition Park on the weekends for sure and there may be another one (it's a long time since I bought a car:biglaugh:) Also the CT on Saturdays is always useful - you can get a NRMA vehicle pre purchase vehicle check if you are a mechanical numpty like myself.

Good to meet you too Nik and glad its all working out for you over here. Thanks for your help today - I really am a bottom feeder for my second car!! I didn't buy the standby car - guess I'm still waiting out for the advert by the 65 year old retired librarian selling his cherished Jag that he has kept garaged and polished daily with full service history for a measly $3000. Admittedly this is a long shot but sometimes its the long shots that come off. On a more practical and helpful front...

(car tips and then groceries tips below).

Jim's rough and nowhere near perfect guide to Cars (Nik please supplement as you see fit): Cars here are more expensive and as always you get what you pay for. Wise advice given to me was to avoid the normaly popular european makes (BMWs, VW etc) due to the high cost of replacement parts & servicing if they do go wrong. Holden is Vauxhall (also a stay away for me!) and Fords are well Fords. Toyotas, Mazdas and Hondas are really expensive (really really expensive!). Mitsubushi are the stand-out underated value for money brand from what I can tell.

On the price front - the demarkation line appears to be about $8k. This figure and above you go to the dealers on Melrose Drive in Phillip - all there in a line. We got a great 2003 Mitsubishi Magna from a dealer for $8k. This figure and below and you go to one of 2 places Fyshwick (dotted all around) or Divine Ct (next to the dealers in Phillip). Beware, Sharks abound. If it looks too good to be true it probably is.

General tips. Do not pay the price advertised, this is the top end of what they want for the car. Offer low. (Magna reduced from $10k and second car option from $6500 to $4.5k). They are not as big on number of owners or service history as we are used to in the UK. Rare to find a car with paperwork of all work done on it most of the time it is just stamps in the service book. Look at the top right of the windscreen as garages tend to post last service stickers there detailing next service requirement. Most dealers will throw in a 'Roadworthy cert' which you need to register the car (for register think combination of DLVA owner registration and tax). Roadworthy cert appears to be an MOT minus. Kick the tyres and wobble it a bit. It certfiies the car is safe(ish) and lasts for one month.

Registering car: Go to one of the 'ACT shop fronts' basically a govt counters similar to a post office. You pay 3% of purchase price as stamp duty and about $30 change of ownership fee. You have 14 days from purchasing car to register it. If you buy from out of state or a car registered in a different state then you still have to get an ACT roadworthy (only ACT dealers can give ACT roadworthys).

Websites are: Drive.com.au ,Aus car sales.com.au and thetradingpost.com.au

That'll do for cars - I haven't touched on private selling or auctions because I haven't really looked at that area. The summary: $8k will get you a 'good' family car. $5 will get you a runaround.

On the grocery front. We are spending too much! This is primarily because we go the convenient IGA down the road. Quality produce but you pay that bit more. Think of it like an M&S simply food. Coles is like Waitrose and Woolworths (yep Woolworths!) like Tesco. All the advice has been to get meat and fresh stuff from the markets (Fyshwick named most often). Its just a pain to get yor weekly shop from more than one place. Home delivery service like Ocado appears to be just starting up. I think overall prices are comparable to UK - certainly we are not wallowing in Caviar and Truffles thinking 'God food's cheap'

Next up (when I get a chance) Medicare and my search for a decent beer.

Cheers

Jim

Guest mikka711
Good to meet you too Nik and glad its all working out for you over here. Thanks for your help today - I really am a bottom feeder for my second car!! I didn't buy the standby car - guess I'm still waiting out for the advert by the 65 year old retired librarian selling his cherished Jag that he has kept garaged and polished daily with full service history for a measly $3000. Admittedly this is a long shot but sometimes its the long shots that come off. On a more practical and helpful front...

(car tips and then groceries tips below).

Jim's rough and nowhere near perfect guide to Cars (Nik please supplement as you see fit): Cars here are more expensive and as always you get what you pay for. Wise advice given to me was to avoid the normaly popular european makes (BMWs, VW etc) due to the high cost of replacement parts & servicing if they do go wrong. Holden is Vauxhall (also a stay away for me!) and Fords are well Fords. Toyotas, Mazdas and Hondas are really expensive (really really expensive!). Mitsubushi are the stand-out underated value for money brand from what I can tell.

On the price front - the demarkation line appears to be about $8k. This figure and above you go to the dealers on Melrose Drive in Phillip - all there in a line. We got a great 2003 Mitsubishi Magna from a dealer for $8k. This figure and below and you go to one of 2 places Fyshwick (dotted all around) or Divine Ct (next to the dealers in Phillip). Beware, Sharks abound. If it looks too good to be true it probably is.

General tips. Do not pay the price advertised, this is the top end of what they want for the car. Offer low. (Magna reduced from $10k and second car option from $6500 to $4.5k). They are not as big on number of owners or service history as we are used to in the UK. Rare to find a car with paperwork of all work done on it most of the time it is just stamps in the service book. Look at the top right of the windscreen as garages tend to post last service stickers there detailing next service requirement. Most dealers will throw in a 'Roadworthy cert' which you need to register the car (for register think combination of DLVA owner registration and tax). Roadworthy cert appears to be an MOT minus. Kick the tyres and wobble it a bit. It certfiies the car is safe(ish) and lasts for one month.

Registering car: Go to one of the 'ACT shop fronts' basically a govt counters similar to a post office. You pay 3% of purchase price as stamp duty and about $30 change of ownership fee. You have 14 days from purchasing car to register it. If you buy from out of state or a car registered in a different state then you still have to get an ACT roadworthy (only ACT dealers can give ACT roadworthys).

Websites are: Drive.com.au ,Aus car sales.com.au and thetradingpost.com.au

That'll do for cars - I haven't touched on private selling or auctions because I haven't really looked at that area. The summary: $8k will get you a 'good' family car. $5 will get you a runaround.

On the grocery front. We are spending too much! This is primarily because we go the convenient IGA down the road. Quality produce but you pay that bit more. Think of it like an M&S simply food. Coles is like Waitrose and Woolworths (yep Woolworths!) like Tesco. All the advice has been to get meat and fresh stuff from the markets (Fyshwick named most often). Its just a pain to get yor weekly shop from more than one place. Home delivery service like Ocado appears to be just starting up. I think overall prices are comparable to UK - certainly we are not wallowing in Caviar and Truffles thinking 'God food's cheap'

Next up (when I get a chance) Medicare and my search for a decent beer.

Cheers

Jim

Great stuff - thanks for these posts Jim really useful...esp the stuff on European cars/replacement parts, as OH luvs driving peugeots..

Jim,

all excellent information, but you missed what is, for me, the BIGGEST plus point of Canberra. the nature parks and access to open country. I've never been a city dweller, Plymouth was the biggest city I had lived in before moving over here 8 yrs ago.

To live in a great and beautiful city, and yet to have such immidiate and easy access to beautiful nature reserves and open countryside (to the point of feeling like I live in the country,) is a major selling point for the "Planned Capital".

All the best for your life in Aus Jim, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

• 2 weeks later...

great post!! We have been here since Nov 08 and are still finding our feet, however can only agree with most of the comments.

Although its not near the coast, seriously, in the summer everyone leaves for the beach and there are thousands of rentals and camping and dont forget to try the slopes in winter (2 hrs drive). We took our 2.5 yr old this season who loved it!!

Ho hum - still here, still happy.

Mobile phones - an absolute myriad of choices all explained equally badly! When they say a $29/month plan that the name of the plan and the monthly cost (easy-ish so far). However you then get various amounts of dollars credit for that $29/month. Say $150 dollars worth of calls, $50 dollars worth of texts and then $100 dollars worth of free calls (not so easy now). Then the real fun begins because the different types of call costs different amounts and some are charged per minute some per are charged per 30secs. Those of you with an advanced degree in astro-physics will quickly be able to work out comparative minute based price plans - mere mortals like me will end up tosing a coin. Suffice to say optel and vodaphone seem popular, '3' cheap but suffering from the same poor reputation as the UK and ... then I got bored. Unlock your phone before you come over (not illegal and most providers will tell you how to do it if you have had the handset for over 12 months) buy a monthly SIM deal in the short term and then test and adjust as you go forward. One last point on phones - I think they are slightly behind the UK in terms of handsets - all the phones are avail but the better ones appear much more expensive than in the UK.m Bring to sellhere rather than in the UK.

Was planning to go on about internet but have run out of time as Mrs J291B needs the computer for job hunting (quickly on that - networking appears hugely important to get work, much more so than in the UK. Meet for coffee, meet for another coffee, meet again, meet friend or colleague, job offer follows - almost masonic). However, this is probably a good thing as we haven't sorted out our long term internet solution yet - we're paying $89/month!! Aiming to get out of that deal before cooling off period ends - once again I turn to fellow PIO'ers for advice - cheapest internet providers please for moderate users over ADSL?? Answers in a post please.....!?

Thanks in advance

Jim

No. of scary creatures seen since arriving: None.

No. of ashes series won since arriving: One.

Favourite beer so far: Snowy Mountain Brewery - Crackenbeck.

We have Transact but I dont know that I would recommend it - check out whirlpool for discussion on best providers. iinet gets a good rap from them but with Transact they are the most expensive isp and I am not happy about that - otherwise they havent been bad.

There's also discussion on best mobile companies as well - I'm happy with Virgin having moved over from Optus a year ago - never could understand Optus bills, need a degree in billology to make head or tail of them.

I have gone for Telstra and big pond all the way, I admit I am tied on to a 24 month contract but my first year is half price internet. Home and mobile phones in the same deals. I have some in-laws who live in Bourke, about 10 hours drive into the centre of Aus and the signal out there with other networks is rubbish so telstra was the way ahead. Also if i was driving up there it's nice to have a phone that has a better coverage than any other in case of an emergency etc. I did get confused with all the tarifs as well so I just stuck with what the rest of the family use.

I'm still waiting for that beer, I ventured out last Saturday down in Civic as well as the Mawson club and I have discovered that Carton Draught mixed with JD and coke later on in the evening give you a mega hangover, no good!

- once again I turn to fellow PIO'ers for advice - cheapest internet providers please for moderate users over ADSL?? Answers in a post please.....!?

Internode mate, great (though possibly not the very cheapest) prices, but support and service second to none.

Oh, and don't ignore Kiwi beers, far better than Aussie, try any of Montieth's beers, but especially Summer ale, Winter Ale or Raddler if you get the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

We arrived in Canberra in June and are loving it. Thanks for the post Jim - it's really good to see another person's opinions on things, especially if they're reinforcing your own! We were put up in the Matra on arrival as well and they were great with us too. Funny how all the things I worried about before I got here have all fallen into place.

But... on the subject of expensive books, I've found a great website which delivers internationally for free. I've bought two paperbacks from them for next to nothing, delivered from the UK without any trouble. If I'd bought them here in a shop it would have been 3 times the price. Just find the book you want and scan the page to find the cheapest version of it.

Free delivery worldwide on all books from The Book Depository

And as for scarey creatures, our house seems full of spiders - had redbacks and huntsmen by the time we moved in a fortnight. Some locals say they've never seen a redback in their lives. Sorry to say we've had our landlord organise the house to be sprayed for spiders as we were getting at least one a day - probably harmless but I couldn't relax for the thought of the next huntsman appearing. *shudder*

We've been over to the coast several times since arriving. It is gorgeous! Deserted beaches for miles and miles and always warm. Not tried the Snowy Mountains yet but will soon.

Hi all

Just a few comments from someone who grew up in Canberra (but has been living in the UK for a couple of years).

1. Cars: You will have to give up on the idea of owning a European car unless you are prepared to pay through the nose. I would steer clear of anything manufactured locally (ie. in Australia) although that may be improving now. Don't get a Falcon (Ford) or a Commodore (Holden/Vauxhall) as they are gas guzzlers and you don't need a V8 engine for driving round Canberra. I'd recommend a Korean car like a Kia or Hyundai if you want cheap and cheerful, or a Toyota/Mazda/Honda for decent (don't buy it brand new, get one a year or so old that's still under warranty, private sale if poss.) Having said that, my parents always had Renaults and Peugeots, and if you get one of them, go to Alpine Motors in Philip - those guys are absolutely awesome for all French cars and won't rip you off! Don't EVER go to a dealership if you can avoid it - they are rip off merchants and will charge you double for a regular service, citing that 'only we can provide genuine replacement parts' - yeah right, total lie. You are better of going with a private mechanic who is certified to do warranty services - I used to take my car Lex Courage, an amazing guy who worked out of his home in Yarralumla and charged be literally half of what the dealer charged for services of higher quality. I don't know if they still do it, but there used to be a car fair type thing in the carpark next to CIT at Woden (opposite the multistorey carpark that leads to the shopping centre) - it used to be Saturday mornings and you could go and check out all the cars and take them for test drives, very cool.

2. Accommodation: first port of call is www.allhomes.com.au - this is where the majority of Canberra (and surrounding area) rentals and homes for sale are advertised. There is also a classifieds parter site - www.allclassifieds.com.au - which can be handy too, if you want to buy bits and pieces to furnish your house etc. Try the ANU (university) accommodation site, as there are houses advertised there too. If you know anyone working for the Department of Defence, they have their own classifieds system, very comprehensive and worth looking into for rental places and buying stuff, as Defence people tend to move around a lot so are always buying and selling. I own a house in Canberra - three bedroom, two storey 'townhouse' (like a bungalow but with stairs? hard to explain!) in Rivett (south west suburb, about 15 mins drive from centre of Canberra) and my tenants pay $380/week, which I think is relatively good value (they've been paying that same amount since July 07). Another thing to note about renting: tenants don't pay 'rates' (Council tax) or water/sewerage - this is the landlord's responsibility. You will pay just your rent and phone/electricity/gas bills. The only time they can make you pay for water is if you use excess water, but this almost never happens. The Residental Tenancies Act, which governs all rental properties in the ACT, is geared towards the tenant, not the landlord (unlike in the UK where you have limited rights as a tenant). Read 'the renting book', issued by the ACT Government (check www.act.gov.au and log on to Canberra Connect, this should lead you in the right direction, the booklet and other info is online) - the book will tell you all your rights as a tenant, and there is a free advice line if you get stuck.

3. Locations in the ACT: One thing you'll get to know once you settle in - there's a divide between north and south in Canberra. If you're a 'southsider', you generally get lost when going anywhere in the northern suburbs, and vice versa. You are either a southsider or a northsider, and you have loyalty to your 'side'! It's not a war or anything, but there is often banter between Canberrans on this topic. That said, the north and south have all the same aspects - eg. Chisolm or Isabella Plains is the 'dodgy' sort of area of the south, and Charnwood is the dodgy area of the north (visit the Chisolm Tavern or the Charnwood Inn for a first hand experience!) In terms of where to live, I've biased (southsider!) - my fave suburb is Yarralumla, but it's very expensive. in the north, if I couldn't afford inner north like Watson, Hackett, Lyneham, I'd go for Aranda or Hawker perhaps. In the south, if I couldn't afford Yarralumla, Narrabundah, Kingston, I'd look at Mawson, Farrer, Rivett, Fisher and surrounding areas. Don't be too concerned about distance as everything is close in Canberra and there really isn't anything you could consider a traffic jam, if you've lived in the UK (especially in London!)

4. Beer and socialising: I'm told the relatively new Belgian Beer Cafe (somewhere in Civic I believe), is great. I would also put in a vote for Coopers as the best Aussie beer. Go to the Leagues Club (one in the city) or the Workers Club or Labour Club, or even the Canberra Southern Cross Club (in Woden) if you want cheapish drinks and cheapish food. The clubs like these (also RSL clubs) are usually open late, and often have free tea and coffee and cakes quite late at night, so you can retire there after a nice meal at a restaurant or a movie session. Best cinemas are Belconnen or Woden (they're the newest Hoyts ones).

5. Food: go to Dickson if you want authentic Asian food (we mean Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai when we say Asian). There is a vietnamese vegetarian place called Au Lac (hope it's still there!) which is delicious, fresh and cheap. The Asian Noodle House is yum (also one in the city on Northbourne Ave) - if you've never had it before, try Laksa, a Malaysian soup, soooo good! In Canberra, Chinese places won't serve you chips with curry sauce like they do here! And hangover food or drunken food is less likely to be kebabs and more likely to be burgers (the infamous Chicken Gourmet in the city, next to King O'Malley's pub is the god of dodgy, late night takeaway food). Best kebabs are at Ali Baba (a chain of takeaway places, only in Canberra I believe - ask for humous and tabouleh with yours, yum!) Best takeaway in general is Kingsley's Chicken, another Canberra-specific gem - chicken fillet burget with coleslaw and gravy - heaven! Definitely go the Fyshwick Markets (just off Canberra Ave after you go through the big roundabout intersecting with Sturt Ave and Wentworth Ave) - cheapest and freshest fruit and veg and great for fresh seafood and meats. Best coffee will be had at Cafe Essen, just off Garema Place, and they have the best range of fresh coffee beans to buy there, plus the most delicious cakes ever. Also try Gus', which is next door, for lovely long breakfasts and brunches, and for chats and whiling away hours in the sun, with good coffee and good atmosphere, you can't go past Tilley's Divine Cafe in Lyneham. Go to Debacle (Mort St or Lonsdale St in the city) for pizzas and sport watching (favourite hang out of professionals after work)...

6. Transport: the only form of public transport in Canberra is buses. These are ACTION buses (acronym, ACT something Omnibus Network), government run, and generally clean and efficient. Cycle paths are excellent in Canberra and a lot of people cycle to work - fewer issues with risking your life in traffic there. However, as a rule, everyone drives!! You'd be doing it tough not to have a car in Canberra.

There's plenty more advice I can offer, and I'm sure fellow Canberrans would have slightly differing views - there are always different perspectives - but there you go, hope you got to the end and you found it helpful.

Kat

Guest AnnChovy

Great thread- a few comments:

The Sydney transfer: There are two versions of this. In both versions you have to collect all your luggage in Sydney and walk it through customs. However, if your long haul airline is the same as, or has an agreement with, your SYD-CBR carrier, your luggage can be checked in for your onward flight at the time you check in for your international flight. If this is the case, you can drop your bags off at the Qantas or Virgin Blue desks in the International terminal and they will take them across for you. If however you have not been able to do this, you cannot drop your luggage there as it is not a check in desk. You have to lug all your stuff on the TBus, (stops right outside the international terminal). This is a monumental PITA especially if, like us, you then get off at T2 instead of T3 for your connecting flight hand have to wheel it all through the carpark to check in (oh how we laughed).

Supermarkets:

Jim I am LOL at your description of the IGA, but then I remembered you live in Yarralumla (remember I gave you the descriptions of Y on that other thread- was I right or was I right?). Look at the little sign beside the deli counter. Yarralumla IGA is not typical of IGA in general- they are prize winners for their deli (with the downturn the deli is a cool place to see and be seen buying lunch- recession chic). Stop doing your shopping there and start going to Woolies in Woden! Get yourself a loyalty card and start clocking up Qantas airmiles while you are at it. (If you prefer Coles, go to Woden or Manuka but don't bother signing up for the loyalty card because you never get anything back on it.)

Beer:

Two words for you: "Wig" and "Pen"- nice microbrew place in Civic.

For home consumption, check out various brews of Western Australia Breweries in Western Australia - Tourism Western Australia (I like Little Creatures Pale Ale myself)

Glad you are enjoying "Keambrah" mate

Archived