Citizenship

pablo

Good Luck Ali and Nigel.

Tomorrow you officially become Australians and part of the gang!!!

We`re proud of you and will be having a drink here for you tomorrow!

Happy Citizenship Day

OK.....i wasnt going to ask this question yet because i dont want to get ahead of myself ( i.e will i still be in oz after 4 years?!)but while were on the subject......what are the benefits of being a "citizen"? if i am a permanant resident for 5,6,7 years "without" taking out citizenship am i still not afforded the same benefits as a citizen?I.E can i not still come and go as i please? or is the main benefit simply that once you are a citizen you could "in theory" move back to the UK/wherever for 5/10 years and be allowed back in to australia whereas someone who isnt a citizen cant?? never realy looked into it tbh,######g SERVER!!!!!!!tried to post this about 6 times!!!doesnt matter,im not going out or nothing tho:radar::realmad:

OK.....i wasnt going to ask this question yet because i dont want to get ahead of myself ( i.e will i still be in oz after 4 years?!)but while were on the subject......what are the benefits of being a "citizen"? if i am a permanant resident for 5,6,7 years "without" taking out citizenship am i still not afforded the same benefits as a citizen?I.E can i not still come and go as i please? or is the main benefit simply that once you are a citizen you could "in theory" move back to the UK/wherever for 5/10 years and be allowed back in to australia whereas someone who isnt a citizen cant?? never realy looked into it tbh,######g SERVER!!!!!!!tried to post this about 6 times!!!doesnt matter,im not going out or nothing tho:radar::realmad:

Hi mate

you can vote if youre a citizen or dual citizen aussie gaffer calls them mongrels lol hes one himself , and you have to vote compulsory ,no restrictions on kids etc and you get a free lobotomy , certain things as well i`m not too up on and you can get a job in the government woopy do .

For us I guess it's that we feel we're here for the long haul and we'd like to be able to vote not only in federal elections, but state and local ones - which will probably have more of an impact upon our daily lives.

Re visa's you don't have the hassle of having to apply for resident return visa's - I know someone who forgot and had a really difficult time getting through customs - not to mention the hassle of being granted a bridging visa and having to go and sort it all out at immigration.

For us I guess it's that we feel we're here for the long haul and we'd like to be able to vote not only in federal elections, but state and local ones - which will probably have more of an impact upon our daily lives.

Re visa's you don't have the hassle of having to apply for resident return visa's - I know someone who forgot and had a really difficult time getting through customs - not to mention the hassle of being granted a bridging visa and having to go and sort it all out at immigration.

Thx for that ali, i "think" that explains things, just wondering was there any REAL benefits or downsides if you dont take out citizenship thats all,congratulations btw

Guest Guest9973

No.................. we don't want pot smoking heads here!!!!

Kidding.......

Citizenship is something nearly intangible.

It gives you the icing on the cake and total permanency - as in they cannot send you back!@

You can ( and have to ) vote so have a say in this countries future.

You have the right to be proud of the country you live in.

You are able to serve in the forces/police force or Govt positions.

The best thing is though.............. the right to belong here - your fellow Aussies love it and will keep making that bruise on your back larger and bluer by slapping it and sayer "ONYA!"

I've perhaps wandered from some of the finer details but you know what I mean :_)

No.................. we don't want pot smoking heads here!!!!

Kidding.......

Citizenship is something nearly intangible.

It gives you the icing on the cake and total permanency - as in they cannot send you back!@

You can ( and have to ) vote so have a say in this countries future.

You have the right to be proud of the country you live in.

You are able to serve in the forces/police force or Govt positions.

The best thing is though.............. the right to belong here - your fellow Aussies love it and will keep making that bruise on your back larger and bluer by slapping it and sayer "ONYA!"

I've perhaps wandered from some of the finer details but you know what I mean :_)

I blame it on you for suggesting the pubs we went to russell:biglaugh:! so.......citizenship...........? does it give me anymore rights "besides" the ones you mention? i guess what im trying to get at is........ can i come and go ( hypothetically ) as i please once i have been a permanant resident in oz for 4 years,or does that right only apply to those who have citizenship?. p.s jan was wondering how the lamb dogs were?!( we were looking back on the camcorder the other day!)

Thx for that ali, i "think" that explains things, just wondering was there any REAL benefits or downsides if you dont take out citizenship thats all,congratulations btw

Hi Pablo

I have been here 40 years and I am not a citizen, I don't really feel the need for it personally. I had to vote, which i do, I have worked for governments, no problem, even returned from an absence in Kuwait for a year, with my return visa expired, a few checks done no problem. Some may criticise me for not taking it up, Australia has been good to me, and I feel I have been good to Australia, increased the population, paid taxes etc. So apart from the actual ceremony I don't feel it would make any difference in my life or love for Australia, just a piece of paper.:tongue:

How are things treating you in Adelaide Pablo?

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Pablo,

Nice to see you back on here,I hope things are going well for you.

now on to your question,I'm going to make a comment but I hope you aren't offended by it as I mean it in no way personally.

You ask are there any "real" benefits of Australian citizenship,and I'm afraid I have to ask a question in return,and that is 'Does there have to be any'?

If you read Tyke's post again you will hopefully see what I'm driving at ,being a citizen,at least in my mind,is an emotional thing,it's about having a real sense of identity and a feeling that you really belong here,that you have made a commitment to Australia and that you feel at home here.

I don't see it as being about whether you can vote or get an Aussie passport,if I wasn't a dual UK/Aussie citizen my life would not change much in day to day terms but I would feel like I hadn't completely decided that this is where I want to be.

As Tyke says it's more about the intangible things than anything else,sometimes you have to do things because it's the right thing,not because there is a "benefit" attached to it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Guest Guest9973
I blame it on you for suggesting the pubs we went to russell:biglaugh:! so.......citizenship...........? does it give me anymore rights "besides" the ones you mention? i guess what im trying to get at is........ can i come and go ( hypothetically ) as i please once i have been a permanant resident in oz for 4 years,or does that right only apply to those who have citizenship?. p.s jan was wondering how the lamb dogs were?!( we were looking back on the camcorder the other day!)

As far as I know once you have perm residency you can come and go.

I'd certainly check this officially though - heard a few horror stories of folk not able to get back in!

Tell Jan the Lamb dogs are great.Just had a haircut.

We are on that big boat next for hols,I don't know who will miss each other the most.:hug:

Guest proud2beaussie
As far as I know once you have perm residency you can come and go.

I'd certainly check this officially though - heard a few horror stories of folk not able to get back in!

You can come and go freely but you need a return resident visa in your passport and you have to spend two out of every five years in Australia to have it renewed,otherwise it can be difficult to get back in.

Guest guest30038

This may have changed but I doubt it............and I think this is really important.

if you're out of the country and get yourself in the proverbial brown stuff (hostage situation, arrested etc).......... if you are a citizen, Australia (it's diplomats etc) have a legal obligation to come to your rescue in some way. If you are simply a PR, then they are not legally obligated to help you.

kev

Guest proud2beaussie

True Kev,

But as you would still be a citizen of the UK they would surely be obliged to assist you anyway.

Guest proud2beaussie
once you have been outside the uk for 2 years they won't help you either

I don't think that's correct ,a friend of mine is a journalist who is now a dual Australian/UK citizen but at the time of this incident he was still a UK citizen despite having lived in Australia for 5 years.

Anyway he was in Fiji on a holiday when there was an uprising against the government,the opposition rounded up people who they thought would make useful hostages and as he was a journalist he was picked on.

The Australian embassy wouldn't help as he was not a citizen but the UK embassy pulled some strings and got him out and on a plane back to Australia within a few days.

If you are still a citizen I can't see that any government would abrogate it's human rights responsibility by saying that 'you haven't lived here for two years so we won't look after you'.

This may have changed but I doubt it............and I think this is really important.

if you're out of the country and get yourself in the proverbial brown stuff (hostage situation, arrested etc).......... if you are a citizen, Australia (it's diplomats etc) have a legal obligation to come to your rescue in some way. If you are simply a PR, then they are not legally obligated to help you.

kev

true, but then it would be the British government

Guest JoanneHattersley

For me it just cements the fact that we have commited to Australia and citizenship is showing that. Most Aussies I have met are proud as punch that we became Aussies and see it as a good thing!

For me it just cements the fact that we have commited to Australia and citizenship is showing that. Most Aussies I have met are proud as punch that we became Aussies and see it as a good thing!

I know what you mean Joanne for you both you feel it has cemented you as an Aussie, I feel and call myself an aussie not a Brit, except i haven't got a piece of paper, it is all a personal thing and how you feel and deal with it.

Cheers

Guest Guest9973
I don't think that's correct ,a friend of mine is a journalist who is now a dual Australian/UK citizen but at the time of this incident he was still a UK citizen despite having lived in Australia for 5 years.

Anyway he was in Fiji on a holiday when there was an uprising against the government,the opposition rounded up people who they thought would make useful hostages and as he was a journalist he was picked on.

The Australian embassy wouldn't help as he was not a citizen but the UK embassy pulled some strings and got him out and on a plane back to Australia within a few days.

If you are still a citizen I can't see that any government would abrogate it's human rights responsibility by saying that 'you haven't lived here for two years so we won't look after you'.

Don't you start telling me about Fiji!

We are off on a cruise around those parts next week - all my mates are ribbing me about revolutions in Fiji and the Pig Flu!:arghh::arghh:

I have Aussie citizenship + Aussie passport but have let my UK passport lapse.

kev

But as a uk passport holder ,the brits must have an obligation , think id rather have the hereford boys sort the poo out .

swine flu now the squits not my week

maLLY

You can come and go freely but you need a return resident visa in your passport and you have to spend two out of every five years in Australia to have it renewed,otherwise it can be difficult to get back in.

We are holidaying in the uk (why?) in August will we need the return visa and where do you get it , please

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Mally,

If you are permanent residents you will need an RRV to re-enter Australia,you apply to DIAC .

Five Year Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155)

It's a pretty easy form to fill out and I think it costs about $240.00 although it may have gone up recently.

You can either send your passport in the mail and they will put the visa in and mail it back to you or you could go to the DIAC office in Perth,whatever is easy for you.

Cheers

Edited to add that I have just checked the DIAC website and it is still $240.00 application fee.

Without Citizenship, Uni student aren't entitled to HECS (student loan for their Uni fees). Our son started Uni in QLD this year, but has a friend from the UK with PR who had to take a gap year until he got his citizenship, otherwise he'd have had to pay his fees up front.

Hi Pablo

I have been here 40 years and I am not a citizen, I don't really feel the need for it personally. I had to vote, which i do, I have worked for governments, no problem, even returned from an absence in Kuwait for a year, with my return visa expired, a few checks done no problem. Some may criticise me for not taking it up, Australia has been good to me, and I feel I have been good to Australia, increased the population, paid taxes etc. So apart from the actual ceremony I don't feel it would make any difference in my life or love for Australia, just a piece of paper.:tongue:

How are things treating you in Adelaide Pablo?

Thx for that kernow,so other than a feeling of "belonging" kind of thing it doesnt matter that much in your opinion?,as i say ive never looked into it too deeply,btw we only went on a reccie to adelaide for a month,not there yet( im afraid ),cheers again

Archived