Citizenship

pablo

Hi Pablo,

Nice to see you back on here,I hope things are going well for you.

now on to your question,I'm going to make a comment but I hope you aren't offended by it as I mean it in no way personally.

You ask are there any "real" benefits of Australian citizenship,and I'm afraid I have to ask a question in return,and that is 'Does there have to be any'?

If you read Tyke's post again you will hopefully see what I'm driving at ,being a citizen,at least in my mind,is an emotional thing,it's about having a real sense of identity and a feeling that you really belong here,that you have made a commitment to Australia and that you feel at home here.

I don't see it as being about whether you can vote or get an Aussie passport,if I wasn't a dual UK/Aussie citizen my life would not change much in day to day terms but I would feel like I hadn't completely decided that this is where I want to be.

As Tyke says it's more about the intangible things than anything else,sometimes you have to do things because it's the right thing,not because there is a "benefit" attached to it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I know what your saying nigel,no offence taken,when i say "benefits" im simply trying to understand why some take out citizenship and some dont,I.E are there "specific" reasons/benefits for becoming a citizen? tbh i dont know if me taking out citizenship will make me feel "australian" or not? will i ever be a real australian if im not born there? i guess its something i can only decide when ive been there for 4 yrs? thx N'oz

I know what your saying nigel,no offence taken,when i say "benefits" im simply trying to understand why some take out citizenship and some dont,I.E are there "specific" reasons/benefits for becoming a citizen? tbh i dont know if me taking out citizenship will make me feel "australian" or not? will i ever be a real australian if im not born there? i guess its something i can only decide when ive been there for 4 yrs? thx N'oz

With you there Pab , i`m white rose thro my arse , (last few days passed a bouquet of the buggas nother story) Supposed when citizenship comes round prob do it just for the less hassle of bloody visas and be able to put my bobsworth(bucksworth) in at the ballot box , least then youve stuck your oar in and not wingeing.

Mally

wat a week swine flu and the ****s

Archived