SO fed up.....

Guest tlander56

Guest John Locke
yes I have posted a few in this forum--I'm totally happy here always have been never ever wanted to go back and often find it hard to take when folks who have been here 3 weeks are so down on this fantastic place.

I realize your slight exaggeration is intentional, but those who have made comments in this thread have been here for a number of years and I`m sure they know what they are doing and have their reasons for not wanting to be here (however hard that may be to take). No one`s counting, but the constant `I love it here` has no relevance to the thread entitled 'So Fed up..." in a section entitled Moving Back To The U.K...have you seen what happens when this occurs in the reverse ? Threads get closed!!!!!! you state that the U.K is a great place (like any home port) and that you can understand people`s decisions after 'giving it s go` yet twice you responded to the OP by saying I bet you`ll regret it and I bet you`ll be back within 12 months. I`m sorry if that sound harsh, it`s not, it`s honest!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gabby
I realize your slight exaggeration is intentional, but those who have made comments in this thread have been here for a number of years and I`m sure they know what they are doing and have their reasons for not wanting to be here (however hard that may be to take). No one`s counting, but the constant `I love it here` has no relevance to the thread entitled 'So Fed up..." in a section entitled Moving Back To The U.K...have you seen what happens when this occurs in the reverse ? Threads get closed!!!!!! you state that the U.K is a great place (like any home port) and that you can understand people`s decisions after 'giving it s go` yet twice you responded to the OP by saying I bet you`ll regret it and I bet you`ll be back within 12 months. I`m sorry if that sound harsh, it`s not, it`s honest!

John,LondonGal and anyone else who has taken my responses personally --I did apologise this morning John and so here we go again.

I did not intend to offend anyone .I will not be in this thread from this reply on as I do not want ( as John suggested might happen ) be resonsible for shutting it down or keeping folks away from it--never was my intention .Regards Gabby

Guest prince

how sad to here that, i grew up in brisbane but i moved to england when i was fourteen and i have decided that there are good and bad people everywhere,( thou mums at the school gates are notorious , the wolf packs my mother calls them) im hoping to return to brisbane as i just cant take the violence, costs and bad weather in england, thou im concerned at some of the things ive read on this website , is the jobs situation in brissy bad, what is an average house ( 2/3 beds high level) price say is everton park/ enoggera way?

Guest bentkitty

LondonGal and John I think you are being a wee bit harsh on Gabby, it's obvious she's not intended to offend anyone and also she can post on whichever forum / thread she bloody well likes without people keeping tabs on her comments. I know nothing about Perth so not taking sides here but this is a public forum where everyone is entitled to voice their views, and I dont think people should be driving each other off threads if they disagree with what the other person is saying. There are people who post in the Moving back to the UK forum dissing Australia/Australians who have only been here a few weeks as Gabby said (also people who decided to go back after years).

Just my humble opinion.

Guest John Locke
this is a public forum where everyone is entitled to voice their views, and I dont think people should be driving each other off threads if they disagree with what the other person is saying.

As long as it`s a one way street, eh?

LondonGal and John I think you are being a wee bit harsh on Gabby, it's obvious she's not intended to offend anyone and also she can post on whichever forum / thread she bloody well likes without people keeping tabs on her comments. I know nothing about Perth so not taking sides here but this is a public forum where everyone is entitled to voice their views, and I dont think people should be driving each other off threads if they disagree with what the other person is saying. There are people who post in the Moving back to the UK forum dissing Australia/Australians who have only been here a few weeks as Gabby said (also people who decided to go back after years).

Just my humble opinion.

Sure it is a public forum but what was said sort of epitomises the typical arrogant Aussie attitude which to some extent contributes to drives people back - the "I love it, you must be nuts to think differently and you'll hate it when you go back" rhetoric. I am sure that, being new, Gabby hasnt quite grasped the netiquette thing but for someone struggling to be here and needing to vent, having someone else dissing their thoughts feelings and opinions as being wrong wrong wrong (at length) is not helpful. No-one knows how the OP feels and how she will fare going back to UK. I daresay she would love a crystal ball at this point as well.

I think some people have a really bad case of cognitive dissonance which blinds them to the faults of a place just because they have invested so much in making the move and the only way they can survive is to black out all the things they dont like and bloat up the things they do. Sure if that makes their lives here happy and liveable then that is fine but there also needs to be an appreciation that some people make a choice after 30 days, some of us still feel exactly the same way after 30 years - it doesnt make us wrong, mad, ungrateful, short sighted or anything else, just making and living with a judgement about what suits us. Some of us really arent very good at cognitive dissonance!

Guest Magnetic6

Please tell me i'm not the only thick one on here???!!!

I've had to Google cognitive dissonance....aahh now i understand!

Nat x

Guest jackie Macdonald
Please tell me i'm not the only thick one on here???!!!

I've had to Google cognitive dissonance....aahh now i understand!

Nat x

No not at all, I looked it up too! - An uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two contradictory ideas simultaneously!!

jackie x

Guest treesea

My instinct is to say to people who arrive in a place and find they don't resonate with it, or something important to them is missing, then move on. Don't make the mistake that so many of us have made, lingering for years in a country which isn't ours, or a city we don't resonate with, leaving some part of our lives unlived.

A word of caution though. If you left Britain because of things you didn't like or a past you wanted to leave behind, all those things are probably still here. I still don't think there is much point in wasting time on a place which doesn't resonate with you, but a strategy for how to deal with what you wanted to get away from when you first left the UK might be a good idea when planning to come back.

Guest LondonGal
yes I have posted a few in this forum--I'm totally happy here always have been never ever wanted to go back and often find it hard to take when folks who have been here 3 weeks are so down on this fantastic place.IF they gave it a fair go and still wanted to go back fair enough I can accept that and like I said in all my pots be happy wherever you are . and sorry if I got up your nose --I'll stay off the thread to keep you happy Cheers

I am glad you think this is a fantastic place and are happy here Gabby, but there are many people who don't. Whether they have been here 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years or 30 years is irrelevent. The time it takes to give a place "a fair go" for some is completely different for others and we should accept that and offer what support we can.

Guest LondonGal

Just my humble opinion.

I never said that Gabby could not post in the MBTTUK forum, I just said she was posting in it a lot for someone so new to the forum. I found that a bit strange for someone who loves Australia. I thought her comments were irrelevant to the OP and a little bit insensitive. I am happy that Gabby loves Perth, but not everyone does and that should be respected. Her posts were akin to me going into the News forum and posting on someone’s update thread of how happy and settled they are with comments of “well I bloody hate it and I don’t understand how you could like it” in post after post. It would not add to the discussion at all.

Also the point I think John was trying to make is that if someone goes into the other forums and posts negative comments about Australia they are hounded until they leave or the thread is closed. But those same hounders are able to post in the MBTTUK forum without moderation. (Not that I think this is what Gabby was doing).

I hope my comments will not stop Gabby from posting in PIO as this in an open forum and I am sure she will meet many like minded people on here.

The whole reason of MBTTUK forum though is for people to vent a little and express their dislikes about Australia or their homesickness without being shot down. I also think it provides a much needed balance to some of the other forums for people who are planning on emigrating. If people don’t want to read anything negative about Australia then maybe they should steer clear. The title of the forum says it all really. I for one never go into the Immigration forum as I am have nothing constructive to add to those discussions. I may read some of the others but I don’t contribute unless it is the context of the thread.

People who tend to post in this forum have already made their mind up that they want to return so don’t want to hear how much someone else loves it (many times over) or be told to give it more time or don’t give up try somewhere else. Those types of comments often come over as condescending and don’t really help an OP who is after some support.

I also believe that some people just know as soon as they step of the plane whether they will settle and I think it takes a lot of courage to admit that and cut their losses and return. Even if that is only after a few weeks.

I believe that Gabby can post wherever she likes do you have to have an apprenticeship to be able to post in the moving back forum. No of course not, the whole idea of a forum is people put their views and Gabby's view is relevant just like everyone else.

I believe its very off putting for people to berate new members to the forum and tell them where to post or not to post.

I feel sorry for people who are unhappy here and very sorry that they thought it was just a suburb of the UK. Its not I keep saying its nothing like the UK but I think sometimes it falls on deaf ears.

Its just such a waste to spend 2 years say desperate to get here and then give up and return after a short period of time. What a waste of money and time.

So many ping and pong and they do not post here we know quite a few.

Guest guest17301

I think if there wasn't a bit of balance in threads like this people who were undecided may just get tipped over the edge and go back in haste and then regret it. I think maybe Gabby was just trying to get her own point across and maybe help someone in the process.

Some posters don't have one good thing to say about Australia and that IMO is as unhelpful as those who have nothing negative to say.

At the end of the day the decision is an individual one and no amount of negative/positive posting will change any sane persons mind about the decisions they make.

Guest Gabby
I believe that Gabby can post wherever she likes do you have to have an apprenticeship to be able to post in the moving back forum. No of course not, the whole idea of a forum is people put their views and Gabby's view is relevant just like everyone else.

I believe its very off putting for people to berate new members to the forum and tell them where to post or not to post.

I feel sorry for people who are unhappy here and very sorry that they thought it was just a suburb of the UK. Its not I keep saying its nothing like the UK but I think sometimes it falls on deaf ears.

Its just such a waste to spend 2 years say desperate to get here and then give up and return after a short period of time. What a waste of money and time.

So many ping and pong and they do not post here we know quite a few.

I wasn't gping to post on this thread again for obvious reasons but thank you to the Fioana and Treesa for at least understanding where I was TRYING to come from.

I am not berating folks who want to go back.I was trying to say if you are undecided then give it a go BUT if you do absolutely hate it or are just too homesick well then good luck wherever you may be .I would never ever try to inflict my opinion and if it came accross that way I did apologise. I know that wherever we live we have to work hard and Au is no different.

I also didn't know that because I was a new member that I was restricted to how often I could post ??? or that I had to have approval from longer serving members.

I belonged to a group where we all originated from same town and are now all over the world and we were encouraged to post everyday to keep the threads moving .That was closed down when MSN closed some sites and so I was used to always posting each day or close enough.

I was never rude or agressive to anyone and didn't realise I had over stepped the mark as Londongal feels I did .

I am sticking to the one forum that suits me and will try very very hard to stay away from ones that could be controversial .Take a look now at what I'm saying ----I'm from scotland " original motor mouth ) once we start we can't stop,I'm the youngest of 10 --had to speak up or forever hold yer tongue.

I didn't even know which forum I was in I just kept answering posts --sorry won't happen again Cheers and --'Peace be with you "" Gabby

Guest guest17301

Gabby, just post whatever and wherever you want. If you think it's a valid point to make no-one can argue with that. This is a free forum. Long may it continue to be. Welcome to PIO x

Gabby please don't feel the need to explain yourself, i saw an apology on this same thread from you yesterday or the day before,IMO that is enough as you didn't deliberately start out to create trouble.

As a new member YOU ARE NOT restricted to posting anywhere on the forum, if you have something to say (that isnt a personal insult) then feel free to write it.

All sections of the forums ARE moderated but we do try to stay balanced, however as mod's we can never keep everyone happy,lol.

You will in time learn which threads are best to be left alone,lol, and if ever you read something that you feel doesn't fit the forum rules ,feel free to report it (the yellow diamond to the left) and we shall review the post for you.

More than anything ,enjoy PIO, but be warned it is addictive,lol.

Cal x

Gabby please don't feel the need to explain yourself, i saw an apology on this same thread from you yesterday or the day before,IMO that is enough as you didn't deliberately start out to create trouble.

As a new member YOU ARE NOT restricted to posting anywhere on the forum, if you have something to say (that isnt a personal insult) then feel free to write it.

All sections of the forums ARE moderated but we do try to stay balanced, however as mod's we can never keep everyone happy,lol.

You will in time learn which threads are best to be left alone,lol, and if ever you read something that you feel doesn't fit the forum rules ,feel free to report it (the yellow diamond to the left) and we shall review the post for you.

More than anything ,enjoy PIO, but be warned it is addictive,lol.

Cal x

Cal you forgot to add the bit about it must be p.c! so thats what that little diamonds for eh?! The prefect button:policeman::biggrin:

Guest Gabby

I know it can be addictive but I'll try not to post so often-- I'll find my way around the forums next week and see which ones suit me . .I'm busy getting my hubby organised for his trip back to nottingham and Whitley Bay I hope to have some free time than--Cheers gabby

Guest LondonGal

I repeat again for those posters who do not read posts properly but choose to read selectively.

NOWHERE in my posts did I say that I thought Gabby shouldn't post in the MBTTUK forum so please stop twisting things.

I disagreed with some of her posts ,as she did with posts from other members and made an observation.

As usual because an opinion goes against the masses it is deemed not valid and gets twisted.

Guest bentkitty
As long as it`s a one way street, eh?

Not at all. I enjoy reading all points of view, even those I do not agree with and those that make my blood boil. These forums would be terribly boring if everyone agreed with each other all the time :spinny:

Guest Gabby

Thanks Fiona--last thing I want is to upset folks so please all let us move away from this and get on with something else.

Fiona which suburb are you settled in .We prefer the view to the hills and Vineyards but I have friends who prefer south or further North whatever suits your lifestyle.

We are retired now and are close to our grandies from where we are now and that is a priority for us we have them sleep over a lot .we are very lucky in that respect .One of our sons works overseas and has a house in Philippines so we meet him there when he has a holiday and I love it -shopping great--see I'm rambling again Cheers Gabby ( time for a glass of port )

Guest Gabby

Londongal, I'm over it and hate arguements so come on lets move forward --I didn't intend to sound like it obviously read to some people Cheers gabby

Guest JoanneHattersley

GAbby post where you like and when you like!!

We`re with ya!

Now lets move on,,,,,,,,,,

Guest Aldo
GAbby post where you like and when you like!!

We`re with ya!

Now lets move on,,,,,,,,,,

As can You LondonGal :wink:

London girls are the best in the world there aint no doubt about it....

Archived