SO fed up.....

Guest tlander56

Guest Gabby

There was an expression used when Immigrants came here then got homesick and went back --only to find that they really wanted to be here after all--they called it the $10,000 trip ( costs would change now) this was by way of renting or buying and taking personal possesions back and forth Best if you are homesick to take a holiday back -expensive but at least you would know for sure

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your post stuck a chord for me. We came back over five years ago now, and at first I worried I would miss Australia - and I have missed it here and there. Now and then, like a bit of nostalgia. But I too wanted different things for my children than what Australia was offering. Like a decent state education, and extended family who are a few hours away rather than a day and a half in an airplane. I like the outdoors too, and that was one of the reasons I came back, so we could enjoy the outdoors in a sunny, dry and cool climate, which is pretty much the east coast of Britain's climate in a nutshell. As to the before school and after school "treadmill" in Australia - music lessons, riding lessons, choir practice, tennis lessons, swimming club - I am SO glad to have escaped that burden. Here, the schools do seem to offer most of these things, even skiing lessons, but here they happen during school time. It's love-ly :-)

For making friends in a new city, I would recommend following your interests and joining relevant groups. The thing is with groups of people like workmates or mums at the school gate, these, in some ways, are quite random groupings of people. The chances of finding someone who shares your interests and is a kindred spirit are relatively low compared to those people you find through following your own interests.

thats part of the problem in oz - you MUST join a club for people to want to bother knowing you - there is no randomness here because it's so insular and conservative

in uk i can go out with mates - meet a group of girls and end up having a little party at they're or my place

that would be absolutely un heard of where i am

there is no substitute for being able to meet random people and have a good time with them

my god the suburbs are terribly souless and boring

a dirty high street in east london is more fun

Guest guest12791
I used to love doing the school/kindie run just to see the coven of bitches look down their noses at me in disgust. The kindie was on the same estate (didn't even have to go past the security barrier and the speed limit was 15kmph so i used to let thekids hang out of the windows/sunroof saying hello to folk but they never even got a wave in return:wacko:

I got a letter telling me off for it!!

Oh, how glad i am to be out of that "laid back" place.

That must have been awful for you and the kids, cant imagine how the kids spent all day at school if that was the way you were treated. you know the more i read on this website the more i dont want to go back to brisbane :unsure:

Guest guest17301
I used to love doing the school/kindie run just to see the coven of bitches look down their noses at me in disgust. The kindie was on the same estate (didn't even have to go past the security barrier and the speed limit was 15kmph so i used to let thekids hang out of the windows/sunroof saying hello to folk but they never even got a wave in return:wacko:

I got a letter telling me off for it!!

Oh, how glad i am to be out of that "laid back" place.

You were in the wrong place mate, Dan is always saying Hi to random strangers and waving at people, he almost always gets a cheery greeting in return. People walk past the front of the house..almost always say 'hows it goin' or 'hello'

It's very friendly in Perth. Should have moved to Perth Aldo..should have moved to Perth!:cute:

thats part of the problem in oz - you MUST join a club for people to want to bother knowing you - there is no randomness here because it's so insular and conservative

in uk i can go out with mates - meet a group of girls and end up having a little party at they're or my place

there is no substitute for being able to meet random people and have a good time with them

Well we were in the burbs for 3 weeks on our reccie to S.A,and EVERYTIME we went out we ended up with 6 or 7 other people in our company, EVERYTIME we were invited back to parties or the local "footy" club for a "late one",and EVERYTIME we were offered some of the local "herbal stuff",we were just a cpl,and we didnt know these people from adam,btw i WASNT a member of a club:biggrin:

Well we were in the burbs for 3 weeks on our reccie to S.A,and EVERYTIME we went out we ended up with 6 or 7 other people in our company, EVERYTIME we were invited back to parties or the local "footy" club for a "late one",and EVERYTIME we were offered some of the local "herbal stuff",we were just a cpl,and we didnt know these people from adam,btw i WASNT a member of a club:biggrin:

you should try doing that in blacktown

you should try doing that in blacktown

Cant comment on "blacktown" wherever that is,just saying how i found it thats all,you did say....."you must join a club in OZ",we were in OZ and in the burbs,maybe places/the locals are different from place to place?I wouldnt know tbh,but we found the people sound.:biggrin:

Guest Gabby

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience bUT know what it all gets back to individual.I have lived here for 35 years and I can say to my husband --just popping to shops be back in an hour and HEY pRESTO I bump into someone and have a coffee ,etc and make plans to catch up at weekend bBq .My suburb is quiet during day and I remember living in Nottinham and it was same I can hop in car and 10 mins to major shopping centre --same in Nottingham.I don't know what you expect really life goes on --work and play where ever you are .I don't and never have been a neighbour drop in here or IUK I'm always busy never bored and I have friends of all ages .I'm retired but don't do the seniors circuit --they are all old and I refuse to join that .I have young mums who invite me to lunch with them and we can have a good laugh .I think I feel a bit sad for your attitude .I think you should never have left UK because you sound like the type of person who doesn't want change SO why tryI don't mean to be rude but what were you looking for ??? We brought up 3 sons here and now 9 grandies and we are all well and happy .I hope you find what you are really looking for -- Happy EX-Pat

Guest Gabby

Ihink you should have saved your money and not moved from UK.I feel that your attitude is one of --I'm always better than or I come from UK and it's better.The whole idea of moving is to participate in new surroundings and adjust nd make your own way -- and still be yourself.

I only joind one group ever and it was a craft class we had fun . I am always busy never bored and don't hang out with mates all day.I meet up with at RANDOM and enjoy the moment .Why would you want your kids to hang out the windows /sunroof anyway is it part of the --look at me I have a car with a sun roof --sorry but I can only imagine you to be one of the W P's that give the rest of us a bad name.

SCHOOLS. my sons went to a local private one --our choice.one of my grand daughters went to public school and is now at UNI so there are some very very good public schools here !!!! Hope you found what you wanted in spain or are they all idiots too.

I'm sorry if I sound annoying but I see your attitude is not good .Have a nice day mate !!!

Guest Gabby

I posted earlier to yourelf and aldo .I would say I got a wee bit heated so I'll say sorry to both for that bUT you are both exactly where you want to be at this time --because you are the only ones who can change it --be happy wherever you are Cheers Gabby

Guest Gabby

because you too seem to have wrong attitude-- get out of your comfort zone and smile and enjoy life

Guest Aldo
Aldo !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think maybe they were all glad you left mate---

Good. I'm also glad i left.

Every one's happy :hug:

Guest treesea

There are parts of Australia where that kind of culture is in full swing,as in meeting up with strangers and spending the evening hanging out together. I think of that more, in Australia, as bayside or inner city living, rather than suburban, and more the 20s -30s scene, rather than the "married with children" suburban lifestyle.

I would say suburban life in Australia would take some getting used to if you came from a city in Britain, because the dividing lines, between one world and another, aren't the same. Cities here in the UK, I have noticed since I came back, feel like the same city from one end of the city limits to the other. Edinburgh feels like Edinburgh, for pace, atmosphere and general feel of being in the city whether you live 1 mile from the city centre or 7-8 miles away. I thought the same in Manchester, Coventry, Sheffield, Cambridge. But cross the city limits, and you are in a different world. From city to country in the blink of an eye.

In Sydney and Melbourne those dividing lines are within the city. When we lived in Melbourne at one stage we moved from Carlton to Coburg, just a mere 9km north. I crossed some kind of invisible line. It was like waking up to a different city. The people, the way they lived, what happened at night, or rather what didn't, the lack of people on the streets, the eerie emptiness of getting off the train at night. So we lived there a few years then one day went up to Broadmeadows to check out a house there for sale. Put it this way, if you fancy a completely quiet life, with invisible neighbours, just an endless suburb with hardly any shops, cars, activity, - then Broadmeadows would be a good choice.

When we lived in Sydney I felt a real East/West divide at about Balmain. So to the east of Balmain was alive and buzzing, like a city the way British cities feel, but to the west of that line was a different place. A quiet place, where nothing much happened, where the city infrastructure didn't quite stretch to. Straight, endless roads (the Great Western Highway comes to mind) with suburban isolation on either side.

Guest Gabby

Perth W A is a good example --North of river including eastern hills and surroundig districta are totally different to south .They are more cafe strip and lunch meets where as we are more likely to be dressed more casual and head for a winery for a ploughmans lunch or such.We have totally different wants and needs than South and just don't like crossing that --invisable line -- We have the hills and countryside they have City and river views. Perth City would be the most boring and dead at night where in Fremantle they have atmosphere and beautiful old historical buildings and interesting lunch spots. and North we have Hilary's Boat Harbour with plenty to do .We have the best of the choices really and we still keep that slower pace than Melbourne / ydney etc.

I haven't heard anyone mention Hobart or Launceston !!! a lot cooler than mainland Au but absolutely unbelievabe scenery . We recently had a holiday there and drove from one side to other and back just doing bed n' Brekfast --cleanest place to visit and most friendly would be Hobart Tasmania -- delightful and would live there in a flash if I could get my grandies to move too.The houses are much lower in price too--- Aussie -aussie - Aussie!!!!

Guest Working to fish
Good. I'm also glad i left.

Every one's happy.

I heard Aldo left as when he was here in the late eighties he allegedly fathered 18 kids ,and it turned out that they caught up with him ,There was a guy on the tv not so long ago who fathered loads of kids to loads of women (mm, ring any bells ).

Allegedy.:biglaugh:

eddie:policeman:

Guest guest30038

I haven't heard anyone mention Hobart or Launceston !!! a lot cooler than mainland Au but absolutely unbelievabe scenery .

Agreed! The finest in Oz...............from what I've seen so far.

Hobart from Mount Wellington

welly+__-.jpg?timestamp=1239682286311

Liffey Falls

liffey.jpg

kev

Guest Gabby

Wow thank you so much .I have a snap of myself sitting ontop of Mt wellington--bloomin' freezing but breathtaking.We want to go back again next year and maybe arrive in Launceston and drive to Hobart and enjoying it all on the way over 2 or 3 weeks and then depart from Hobart.--I'll take the warmer clothes next time.

My Husband basically wears short sleeves and shorts all year round ( ex butcher so used to cold )

Ray caused a bit of a stirr walking around like that I was rugged up and scrunched down to keep warm and he just stroll around --silly Pom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.I doubt very much I would enjoy the English climate in winter or even worse in Scotland where I came from originally --thanks for lovely photo's .

My brother lives in Birkdale Brissie

Guest fa66ster
Sorry guys...just wanting to vent...

We came her almost 3 yrs ago.....have decided to make the move back....just struggling with the time it will take to actually get back (ie..getting jobs, accomodation bla bla bla)...Anyway, I went out on a girls night out in Brisbane on friday night and wish i'd never gone....A couple of the girls (school mums) got drunk and turned nasty...we were chatting away within the group and they started saying things like 'ignore the snobby poms opinion' (and other similar nasty comments) I got really fed up and came home.. Want to leave more than ever...I'm not stupid enough to think this this sort of thing doesn't happen everywhere...but just adds to my woes....espec when i had to face those parents yesterday morning ! YUCK

My Aussie hubby just laughed it off but......:no:

You're gonna get bitches in any country...........the aussie's are after all outspoken (in my experience)

Guest Gabby

I agree outspoken wherever !gosh I'm from Scotland and my Aussie boss called me "keepem hopnest Annie " 'cos I did keep them to the word -- Just don't let a few spoil it for you --take some happy memories back with you .We are not all bad. I actually in the two weeks since I first joined have made contact with several lovely people on line. Attitude makes a difference --good luck

To the OP, this topic has rambled somewhat but I hope that you are not still quite as fed up. Remember too that there is nothing in the rule book that says you have to think Australia is the best thing since sliced bread - even with the best attitude in the world you cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! What you think and feel about the place is based on your experience and know that there are many other folk who would agree with your appraisal just as there are those whose experiences would make them think otherwise. It isnt utopia, it is just another place to live your life in.

I hope that everything goes brilliantly for you and that you get that warm glow of going to where you "belong". All the very best!!!

Guest LondonGal
Perth W A is a good example --North of river including eastern hills and surroundig districta are totally different to south .They are more cafe strip and lunch meets where as we are more likely to be dressed more casual and head for a winery for a ploughmans lunch or such.We have totally different wants and needs than South and just don't like crossing that --invisable line -- We have the hills and countryside they have City and river views. Perth City would be the most boring and dead at night where in Fremantle they have atmosphere and beautiful old historical buildings and interesting lunch spots. and North we have Hilary's Boat Harbour with plenty to do .We have the best of the choices really and we still keep that slower pace than Melbourne / ydney etc.

I haven't heard anyone mention Hobart or Launceston !!! a lot cooler than mainland Au but absolutely unbelievabe scenery . We recently had a holiday there and drove from one side to other and back just doing bed n' Brekfast --cleanest place to visit and most friendly would be Hobart Tasmania -- delightful and would live there in a flash if I could get my grandies to move too.The houses are much lower in price too--- Aussie -aussie - Aussie!!!!

Gabby, that’s got to be one of the most ridiculous descriptions I have read of Perth in a long while. How on earth can you say that people in the Northern suburbs have totally different wants and needs to people in the Southern suburbs, Perth aint that big!! Huge generalisation.

I have been here nearly 10 years and have travelled the length and breath (and inland) of Perth and have found apart from the exclusive Western suburbs most of Perth is pretty much the same. If anything I have found people in the Southern suburbs to dress more casually. I have friends North and South of the river and from my experience I have not come across a difference in what our needs and wants are.

I agree outspoken wherever !gosh I'm from Scotland and my Aussie boss called me "keepem hopnest Annie " 'cos I did keep them to the word -- Just don't let a few spoil it for you --take some happy memories back with you .We are not all bad. I actually in the two weeks since I first joined have made contact with several lovely people on line. Attitude makes a difference --good luck

In the two weeks you have been on PIO you seem to have posted in the Moving Back to UK forum a disproportionate amount for someone who professes to love Perth and Australia so much.

“The lady doth protest too much, methinks” ;-)

Guest Gabby
Gabby, that’s got to be one of the most ridiculous descriptions I have read of Perth in a long while. How on earth can you say that people in the Northern suburbs have totally different wants and needs to people in the Southern suburbs, Perth aint that big!! Huge generalisation.

I have been here nearly 10 years and have travelled the length and breath (and inland) of Perth and have found apart from the exclusive Western suburbs most of Perth is pretty much the same. If anything I have found people in the Southern suburbs to dress more casually. I have friends North and South of the river and from my experience I have not come across a difference in what our needs and wants are.

In the two weeks you have been on PIO you seem to have posted in the Moving Back to UK forum a disproportionate amount for someone who professes to love Perth and Australia so much.

“The lady doth protest too much, methinks” ;-)

yes I have posted a few in this forum--I'm totally happy here always have been never ever wanted to go back and often find it hard to take when folks who have been here 3 weeks are so down on this fantastic place.IF they gave it a fair go and still wanted to go back fair enough I can accept that and like I said in all my pots be happy wherever you are . and sorry if I got up your nose --I'll stay off the thread to keep you happy Cheers

Guest Gabby

I have lived in Perth since '74 and I too have friends in area's all over Perth AND 1 from Mt Pleasant 1 from Como, 1 from Claremont were surprised at the amount and variation of restaurants we have around here i the Mt Pleasant lady couldn't believe that some of the houses could be higher in price than South Wow she said and she said I can't understand why you don't move South. We all belong to a networking group and they just don't want to travel in this direction --too country they say---so I don't find my comments wrong I live here too and again sorry if I upset you and since you are counting I'll make this my last comment on this topic.Cheers and happy days Gabby

Archived