Can't believe they forgot us so quickly.

jaq4chop

Hi there,

Feeling a bit sad today as it is our first "occasion" away from the UK when we would normally be with family. We have only been here for 4 1/2 months but......

Today is my daughters second birthday & out of 4 sets of grandparents, a half sister, 3 aunts & 2 uncles & countless cousins & great aunts & uncles only 2 sets of the grandparents remembered to send her a card. I checked the e-mails all day to see if she got any e-mail cards, she did but from her UK playgroup friends, we waited for the postman this afternoon but he only brought the water bill. (For me not her!!). I thought they would call in the early evening to wish her a happy birthday & all through dinner I waited. Eventually I put her in the bath as I thought sod's law being what it is they will call at the most awkward time, but no calls for Scarlett. My parents had arranged a Skype call before she went to bed & she was delighted to see them & shout to them & show them all her toys.

I know I am probably being very silly about this but I feel so sad for Scarlett that hardly any of her family have remembered her birthday, I doubt she will have even noticed but she will as she gets older, how do I explain to her that her family do care about her very very much, they just don't remember every thing that is important to her?

I have been waiting for some form of homesickness to kick in since we got to Melbourne but there has been nothing, I have always said it would only be people that I missed not the UK. Just right now I am not sure how much I miss them at all.

This makes me very sad.

Sorry to dump all this on here but hopefully someone understands how I feel.

Guest LondonGal
Hi there,

Feeling a bit sad today as it is our first "occasion" away from the UK when we would normally be with family. We have only been here for 4 1/2 months but......

Today is my daughters second birthday & out of 4 sets of grandparents, a half sister, 3 aunts & 2 uncles & countless cousins & great aunts & uncles only 2 sets of the grandparents remembered to send her a card. I checked the e-mails all day to see if she got any e-mail cards, she did but from her UK playgroup friends, we waited for the postman this afternoon but he only brought the water bill. (For me not her!!). I thought they would call in the early evening to wish her a happy birthday & all through dinner I waited. Eventually I put her in the bath as I thought sod's law being what it is they will call at the most awkward time, but no calls for Scarlett. My parents had arranged a Skype call before she went to bed & she was delighted to see them & shout to them & show them all her toys.

I know I am probably being very silly about this but I feel so sad for Scarlett that hardly any of her family have remembered her birthday, I doubt she will have even noticed but she will as she gets older, how do I explain to her that her family do care about her very very much, they just don't remember every thing that is important to her?

I have been waiting for some form of homesickness to kick in since we got to Melbourne but there has been nothing, I have always said it would only be people that I missed not the UK. Just right now I am not sure how much I miss them at all.

This makes me very sad.

:hug::hug:

I understand how you feel.

Unfortunately this is one of the downsides of being an expat. Most of us I think find that it only tends to be the Grandparents who make an effort after the first few months.

My son had his 1st birthday 4 months after we arrived and it was an awful day for me without extended family around me. Only got 3 cards from the UK too.

Once you join playgroups kids birthdays get better!

I am sure there will be alot of guilty consciences when they realise. It does take a while for post to get through at times! You have remebered they are a good few hours behind in which case you might get calls in the morning (there evening). It sounded like she enjoyed herself, thats the main thing, wish her happy birthday from me in the morning and apologise that i was late saying it!!

Andrew

Guest JoanneHattersley

Not silly at all! I havent had a Chrissy card from some family now for ages!

Our wedding anny last week and 1 family member gave us a card!

Guest Trakki

Sorry you are feeling like this but also remember that it may just be that they sent cards but didn't time it right and you will get them over the next few days. I felt the same with the first birthday here but the cards dribbled in over the next weeek.

Guest funkymonkey
Hi there,

This makes me very sad.

Don't fret yet the post can be terribly slow....We have had Birthday/Christmas cards posted on the same day from home take between 3 days and 4 weeks, so there are probably lots of cards on the way... I have been through the same thing here, thinking people have forgotten and then the cards arrive often very late, not anyones fault at home they posted them on time!!!:biggrin:

Guest 0405delboy
Hi there,

This makes me very sad.

Well, youre the one that left the country.

The more you try and put them out of your mind, the sooner they do the same. :err::biggrin:

You may find that people have posted late, not realising how long it takes for mail to get here, we're used to receiving mail for a good seven days after a birthday ... just keep her cards up longer.

I have to say that our close family and friends are pretty good - especially for the kids birthdays, it does take them a bit to adjust to having to be organised to send cards off well in advance. Parcels can take forever!!

Mmmm.... an email saying card in the post ... Aus Post terrible - hope it arrives soon! I'm as bad, it's my nephews birthday at the end of the month and I still haven't been to exchange some $ so I can send him some money.

Ali

Thanks for all the birthday wishes for Scarlett, I will print them for her to put with her cards in the morning.

Feeling a bit better now after reading all the messages you have sent. When I think about it, I don't think my brother has ever remembered any family members birthday in his life ........... Not in a malicious way just in a big brother way.:huh:

Hopefully you are all right & our postman on his moped with very squeaky brakes will deliver lots of cards in the next week. Next year I will just drop subtle reminders well in advance.

Guest acbh2

I used to feel bad for the kids when cards/pressies didn't arrive...As most people have said they tend to dribble in.

I have to hold my hands up though and say I have become terrible at sending cards and gifts. Keep thinking I should write bdays on the calander a month in advance...life just gets in the way and when you have to shop with postage in mind it becomes a nightmare.... I used Amazon for the first time last week, u can buy toys, books, computer games and dvd's and have them gift wrapped and delivered.

Hope Scarlett had a gr8 bday and the post is just a bit behind:hug:

Guest fatpom

It goes with the territory I'm afraid, but then you already know that?

You only have yourselves to blame for it. You can't expect those you left behind to make any effort. :smile:

Guest ashmalog

we feel like that sometimes and we are still in the uk. its not fair on yor daughter but she will learn as she gets older, sometimes you feel like you are the only ones keeping the contact.

i hope it doesn't happen to us but people have their own lives to live and they do forget. I wouldn't mind if it was mine they forgot but not the children, its not their fault there is a 10-12hr time delay.

i hope she had a lovely day and got all that she deserved. Perhaps the calls and cards will come later - blame the post office.

Guest oggie1

:wub:Happy birthday Scarlett:wub:

Look on the bright side though,How much money are you going to save now on cards,postage and pressies for their birthday

Chris

Hi ITS RIKKI, DONT FEEL SAD, It happened to us , they just dont think, as well as being 9hrs in front it complicates them too.Im still waiting for my kids easter box going into my uk account , they were sent an english cheque wot use is that here, so was told 4 weeks ago it was going to be put into the bank account, checked this morning .............. Still nothin, i was lucky to get my cards on time wen i lived in the uk, living out here there is no chance.I always send my cards via MOONPIG, coz they are delivered the following day i use the uk site for the uk family There is no excuss , with the way some people are, just remember your in the better place, I didnt call you yesterday coz we thought you would be busy , will call you later, hope scarlett had a lovely day regardless, she has her mummy and daddy with her , we will get together very soon , take care and keep your chin up, im always at a loss as to why its always us that have to phone the uk never our family ringing us, i guess thats families for you and why i especially left .See you soon

Guest The Pom Queen

Oh Jaq

BIG BIG Hugs and hey a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Scarlett!!!!!

Unfortunately, a lot of family forget about the time difference and because it isn't Scarletts birthday in the UK, they totally forget she has already had it here. One positive side is that from this side of the world you always have an extra day if you forget someones birthday!!!!

Who knows maybe they have sent cards through the post, sometimes it has taken weeks other times months for us to receive something from the UK, so keep your chin up. At the end of the day she has YOU and that is the most important thing for her!!!!!

Hugs

Kate

Guest JoanneHattersley
Well, youre the one that left the country.

The more you try and put them out of your mind, the sooner they do the same. :err:

It goes with the territory I'm afraid, but then you already know that?

You only have yourselves to blame for it. You can't expect those you left behind to make any effort.

:arghh:Comments like this infuriate me! Put yourself in the OP shoes. How do you tell a child that family have "forgotten" them!! You cant! A child will think that they have done something wrong or that someone doesnt love them anymore!!!

A grandchild remains a grandchild whether they are 2 or 20,000 miles away! Leaving the country does not mean that we put them out of our mind!

TO SCarlett, Hope that you had a wonderful birthday! If Mum puts your birthday in the PIO calendar we can remember you every year!

Scarletts Mum: Dont let them grind you down! Come rant on PIO when it all gets too much! Remember just because you moved out of the country does NOT give them the right to forget you! Im sure that you have not forgotten them!

We`re with ya!

Archived