Sick of being called a wingeing pom

Guest storyteller

Guest red back

So am I not getting my money's worth from TAFE...;_)

Hey lets be nice, we are in the same boat...

Maybe I should have done a plastering course...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Beach Babe

Dont start all that nonsense of TRIBUNALS, we see to much of that here and most of the time it's just people trying to get a few quid for nothing.

Try and adapt to their lifestyle and thank your lucky stars that you are there, were still waiting for our turn to be called a POM xx

Don't let it get you down, just smile and think of the sunshine.

Guest Paddy Charlie
ABsolutely!!! But some people get annoyed on a thread and get nasty sometimes.

I wasn't being nasty I only pointed out how ironic it was. And I was looking into the thread so I could see other peolples experiences of Oz as I'm looking to move there next year

Guest Paddy Charlie

I was thinking Sydney. Just going to do a working holiday for year or so and if I am enjoying it then get sponsorship and stay. I'd say I'd say but would prefer to get it sorted when over there as I should be able to get a company to sponser me as I'm on the critcal skills list

But will just take it as it comes

Guest Quwa

Storyteller i do agree that its an insult to you and yes it would drive me up the wall if i kept on getting told i was winging pom, ten pound pom ect just as the Aussies get well chuffed off when you call them a 'JAFA' meaning Just another F*cking Aussie. In london there are more Jafas than english i swear so the phrase is used alot ;o)

With that mantality you have described of your works, a tribunal would do nothing just make it worse plus i dont reckon they'd understand why your doing it. Personally if i kept getting that at work id rip then apart in a patronising good old dry sense of humour UK way. Give as good as you get and they will either keep doing it coz they think its fun or b stop doing coz they cant compete with you.

I really hope you find a way to deal with this. I dont think peoples posts of 'get over it 'are helpful in anyway by they way! some people just cant do that and dont have such a thick skin. Just coz you move to another country doesnt mean you should succumb to having the p*ss ripped out of you for where you are orginally from, you do that to some albanian or pakistani over here and you would be crucified for it.

As for missing shops etc, thats only normal if you ask me. But yes i do agree that if you do say this when your at work you shouldnt be suprised if they call you winging POM etc. If someone from a different country did it all the time ect, which i dont know if you do not, but if they did my exact reply would be go home then!

carefully carefully in certain situations but in general dont put up with it, its pig ignorant and rude in my eyes.

Guest Aldo
Precisely. The OP IS a wingeing pom (sic) and does deserve a verbal kick up the backside. Which is what he has got.

I was referring to

You don't like being a pom and yet you log onto POMSinoz.com to complain. Quality LOL

But feel free to whinge away...:spinny:

• 4 months later...
Guest cjones06au

I don't like being called a "POM" because I find it to be incorrect. However, I just put up with it, I have too having an Australian partner and such.

I couldn't stay in England either because I had to move here with my parents 4 years ago. I'm 20 now and yes it still bothers me, but you just have to think positive and choose to ignore it :)

And we call Australians Aussies, isn't that a very similar thing? :) x

Guest JoanneHattersley
I don't like being called a "POM" because I find it to be incorrect. However, I just put up with it, I have too having an Australian partner and such.

You dont have to put up with anything but in the grand old scheme of things.........does it really matter?

And we call Australians Aussies, isn't that a very similar thing? :)

S`pose! How do Aussies feel about it?

Being called a POM does not bother me at all! I laugh with it rather than get offended and annoyed by it. I find that just adds fuel to Australian humour! lol

Guest cjones06au
You dont have to put up with anything but in the grand old scheme of things.........does it really matter?

S`pose! How do Aussies feel about it?

Being called a POM does not bother me at all! I laugh with it rather than get offended and annoyed by it. I find that just adds fuel to Australian humour! lol

no it doesnt matter really, but its how i am after living here in perth for 4 years :)

Guest JoanneHattersley

Fair enough! I was told before I came that if I was caused a pommy b----rd then it was affectionate and nothing to worry about! I held that thought when I arrived. When i finally became an Aussie they all said.....` oh thought that you were`

Guest cjones06au
Fair enough! I was told before I came that if I was caused a pommy b----rd then it was affectionate and nothing to worry about! I held that thought when I arrived. When i finally became an Aussie they all said.....` oh thought that you were`

haha thats cool. good for you :)

I couldn't stay in England either because I had to move here with my parents 4 years ago. I'm 20 now and yes it still bothers me, but you just have to think positive and choose to ignore it :)

And we call Australians Aussies, isn't that a very similar thing? :) x

No..

Aussie is a shortened version of Australian just as others like Brit, Abo, Paki... they are NOT offensive as a word. The term POM usually implies Prisoner of Mother England or a similar interpretation so in essence is derogatory by definition whether people mind or not that's a fact.

Ignore it by all means but you don't HAVE to like it.:cute:

Guest bonefish13

The infamous Pommy bashing. I would imagine that we have all at some stage heard of this expression when we speak, or hear of Australia.

If we are to believe the rumours, each and every Australian takes great delight in casting aspersions on the Brit's character. As I have said previously, because of the media attention that is often focused on Australia over recent years this facet of their character seems to be forever prevalent, and to a certain degree, rife within all echelons of Australian culture.

We may have heard several of our friends say that when they were out there on holiday the inevitable Pommy bashing was part and parcel of their break. It was, if you are to believe these stories, an integral part of everyday Australian life.

So please allow me to try and not only give you the facts about this subject, but also the opportunity to dispel many an unfair rumour.

Take it from me, as someone who has seen the good and the bad of this side of the character of the Australian people, it is indeed a misconception to think that this type of language is common place, and that you will be faced with such 'insults' at every opportunity.

I hope you have gathered from reading previous posts that I have a very keen sense of humour and am able not only to laugh at other people, but also laugh at myself. This is a lesson we would all do well to adhere to, if you are serious about living in Australia the ability to laugh at oneself is of paramount importance.

If you are serious in your efforts to emigrate then you have to have the ability to laugh at yourself. Not to do so is going to cause you no end of embarrassment and suffering. This is not to say that we should all as Brit's abroad be in anyway subservient to anyone, let alone the Australian's. But the ability to take a joke concerning yourself whilst in Australia, will I assure you pay dividends in the end.

To clarify this point somewhat please let me tell you a joke. This is no ordinary joke, it relates wholly to this post, and one that I hope you find not only amusing, but also an education in your ability to laugh at yourself.

There are many thousands of jokes about Brit's in Australia, but in my opinion this is by far the best I have ever heard. Maybe it is not until you have lived and worked in Australia that the full humour and impact can be felt, but I hope to convey to you a little of what this joke means, so here goes.

'What is the difference between the Jumbo jet and its cargo of newly arrived Pommy immigrants when it finally arrives in Australia? When the plane lands it stops whining.'

I hope you have found that joke ever so slightly funny, if not please let me explain a little more. As I said, until you have lived and worked in Australia maybe the humour in the joke will go over your head and admittedly, this is a stereotypical joke, but it does bear some truth within its context.

Please remember whilst you are reading this post that I have lived and worked in Australia for many years, so I coming at this from an unbiased point of view, not to do so would be most unjust of me.

I first arrived in Australia of June 1980, and to me the word Pommy was as new and as fresh as newly cut hay. It took me a long time to understand what was going on. Don't forget that I had only just turned seventeen years old, young and naive in the extreme. To be faced with Pommy bashing was at this early stage in my life not only confusing but also frightening to a certain degree.

One of the main reasons I did not know how to take the word Pommy was that I truly had no real idea of what it meant. To this day the word is open to all kinds of interpretations. Speak to any number of people and you will I guarantee, get a different answer from all of them.

Some of the popular beliefs are that it stands for 'Prisoner Of Mother England'. Of course this relates to the fact that Australia was firstly colonised by the British Empire! The country itself was built upon the backs of convicts deported to the Australian shore.

However through hours an hours of research my own belief is that it is the shortened term for 'Pomegranate' which happens to rhyme with 'Immigrant'. Whether this is true or not I have no idea, but this seems to be the popular belief, and the only one that can be traced back to the very earliest settlers.

I dare say there will be scholars and other academics who would argue the point as to the real meaning of the word 'Pommy'. I would imagine that over the years it has been open to all kinds of interpretation, and I would welcome any new suggestions.

Having (hopefully), clarified that I will go into greater detail about the word 'Pommy'. If had a dollar for every time I was refereed to as Pommy B.....d, Pommy C..t, Pommy F....r, I would I assure you be a very, very rich man. I would be living the life of luxury in some so called paradise having never to worry about money again.

This is far from the truth, but nonetheless true. I could have easily also lost my temper on any number of occasions, in fact I would have been arrested on numerous occasions if I had taken um-bridge at each and every occasion I was referred to as Pommy.

As I have said, I have been to Australia on many occasions. I have lived and worked with many kinds of people. I have met and made very good friends with a whole range of Australian people, from as a varied background as you would wish to meet. So I hope you can see that whilst I am trying to explain the word Pommy I am coming from a completely unbiased and objective viewpoint.

All I am trying to do is inform and educate you about a certain aspect of so called Australian culture. I am in no way trying to defend or castigate such behaviour. I am giving you my honest and informed opinion of what I have experienced over many years.

I am very serious in this next statement, if you take offence each and every time an Australian calls you Pommy, your life will be a living hell, things will never change I promise you that.

There are two distinct ways that the word Pommy is not only used, but also meant. One far more serious than the other. I will deal with the less tasteful aspect firstly as I think this will give you a better understanding of what I mean.

There will of course always be those that use the word with such vitriol and contempt that the word Pommy can become a word that will be the most distasteful word you have ever heard. I would be lying to you if I told you that I had never come across this sphere of the Australian psyche, but to say that this was more prevalent than the next type of saying would be a wholly unjust and false statement.

I could count on one hand the times the word Pommy has been used against me in this manner, and that is the truth of the matter. Generally it used by those that really know no better, even true Australians would have taken offence at the way it was used.

In fact, on a number of occasions those around me (Australian) jumped immediately to my defence and the perpetrator was told in no uncertain terms that if he/she said it again, and in the manner it was meant, they would be shown the error of their ways, in no uncertain terms.

For this I was very grateful indeed. To have friends and work colleagues stand up for you in this way truly was a very emotional feeling. Having said this, in the very next breath these same people who had defended me would take great joy in calling me every name under the sun, and each prefaced with Pommy. Please read further on to really understand this last statement.

But when the word was used by those that really meant it I did take huge offence, and to some extent it made me not only very defensive, but also wary of the term next time it was used, even in jest.

But the vast majority of the times I was refereed by this term it was in a humorous and friendly way. It was, and is to this day a form of absolute and total acceptance. That sounds strange, but it is true in every sense of the word. When it was used in this manner I felt part of a team, part of a community that had wholeheartedly excepted me for what I was and am. Let me explain more fully.

As you do in any functioning society you have to interact with all and sundry on a daily basis, not to do so would make your life extremely difficult in the extreme. At these times when barriers are broken down the conversation is often relaxed and humorous in its tone.

Defences are dropped ever so slightly, and the real person begins to show through. This will only happen after a certain amount of time, and an awful lot of trust has been built up between the individuals concerned.

In such situations I have lost count of the amount of times that nearly every request or question of me was prefaced with the word Pommy. Let me give you a few examples.

'Oh Pom, pass the tool kit'. 'What's Pommy land actually like?' Or as is more often the case simply, 'Pommy'. Which was very often used to simply get my intention.

I remember on several occasions when I had started a new

job the normal introductions were taking place and the conversation went somewhere along these lines. 'Gary, this is Tony, he will be working with you for the time being. Could you show him the ropes etc? Reply, 'Jesus, not another Pommy bastard that I have got to teach again'. This would be the norm from many of my new work colleagues for many weeks to come.

Of course being the 'new boy' as it were I would grin and bear such insults. This would be true even if I had started a new job here in the UK. After all I doubt if many of us would want to start our new jobs on the wrong foot. But the thoughts racing through my mind would paint a different picture. Thoughts that OK, so this is how it is going to be. I will bide my time, keep my head down, and then when I had integrated a little better I would show them what for. But there was very little justification for feeling this way.

But after a certain amount of time, the so called Pommy bashing would not stop, but it would in effect, be said less. Of course it was still used many times, but in a very different manner. A manner that made me feel part of a community, and was absolutely accepted amongst my new found friends.

When it was first used the Australian using such language was in his own indomitable way just seeing how far he could go. Australians are like dogs with bones I warn you now, if they think they can get a rise out of you they will endeavour to push you to the limit, and see how you react.

My general response to the word Pommy was to reply, very tongue in cheek, with as much humour and hilarity as was possible. This is where the ability to laugh at yourself comes into play.

After many weeks, as I said this so called Pommy bashing changed completely in it's tone. It was now used as a total form of acceptance. An acceptance yes, that I was a Pom, but the Australian's had seen that I could take a joke, and their friendship and camaraderie was now complete in every way.

Having said this let me tell you a true story of one particular gentleman not many years ago who had CHOSEN to make Australia his new home.

Obviously, like the vast majority of newly arrived Brit immigrants he had had to go through what most of us have had to. The at times constant and incessant Pommy bashing.

One day he decided that he had enough, and in his quest to be EXCEPTED he decided that he was going to go to the Supreme Court of Australia, and in his wisdom get the word Pommy outlawed.

In other words he wanted the highest court in the land to rule that to use such a word was now illegal, as in his opinion, it carried some kind of racial connotation.

Now I would be the first to agree with the gentleman in question if his argument carried any weight whatsoever. I for one hate to hear any kind of racial abuse, no matter who it comes from. But to say the word Pommy is in any way racial is stretching a point a bit to far.

Suffice to say, that after long, protracted and heated debate his case was thrown out of court as the judges felt there was no case to answer. You could argue that the said judge was Australian, and his views may have reflected that of Australia in general, but to do so is trying too hard to make a case where there simply is none.

I have absolutely no idea where the gentleman concerned is now. If he is still in Australia I dare say his life is no easier. Somehow, I doubt he still remains there. His life from the second he decided to go to court would I dare say be even worse, or rather, in his opinion worse.

Did he honestly think that by going down such a path his life would be any easier, somehow I doubt it. If this was in his mind I think he is either a fool, or so arrogant that his persona

knows no bounds.

However, there is one reason why he may have chosen to take such a path. If this was the case then I take back all that I have said.

He may have come across the first group of people I mentioned. We all have to some degree as newly arrived migrants. Those that use the word Pommy with absolute rage and disgust. But there is no way on God's green earth that all those that surrounded him upon his first arrival were of this disposition, no way at all.

He had obviously been one of the immigrants, and there are many I warn you, who will not in any way, shape or form except or tolerate any form of ribbing as a day to day occurrence that happens all the time. This attitude is one that I have come across over and over again.

It is an attitude that will inevitably lead to sadness and misery on a very personal level. This sounds as if I am extremely harsh, not only to the gentleman concerned, but also those of a similar nature, if this is the case then I apologise.

But what I am trying to say is simply this. The move from the UK to Australia is one of the biggest decisions you and your family will ever have to make. Do not be under any illusions whatsoever that this will not be the case.

Of course there will be those that, for whatever reason will

only have to worry about themselves in their transitional period from one country to another. But the vast majority of immigrants will have their loved ones with them on this journey.

Maybe the first group of people you would think would be able to settle far more quickly and adapt sooner, but in reality this is not the case, far from it.

Whatever is said and done, anything you as a person can do to make your new life easier is not only common sense, but you should do all you can to facilitate this. If you fight against the so called 'system,' you will always be the loser.

I am not for one-second you should curl up and take whatever comes your way. But what I am saying is this. Take things in your stride and take a far more realistic and humourous approach to all things Australian. If you have the ability to laugh at yourself to a certain degree I can assure you that Australia will welcome you with open arms.

I can honestly say that I have friends in Australia who I could call upon today with little notice at all, and I would be met with open arms, a welcoming smile and a cold beer.

When you consider that the majority of these people were the very ones who took great glee at calling me Pommy in the first instance then maybe you have come a little way in understanding what I am trying to say.

They had taken great glee and merriment at the time in calling me Pommy, but in the long run they had seen that I was prepared to not only laugh at myself but to a certain extent, give as good as I got. They therefore realised that I was a person who would in the long run, 'fit in,' and that I did. I am not saying it was easy, but for my own sanity this was the only path to take.

Also bear in mind that if I did call upon these friends without any notice I guarantee you that upon knocking on their front door the first words muttered by them would be, 'You Pommy B.....d, what the hell are you doing here?'

This would be very closely followed by a hand shake or more often the case a deeply meant hug and slap on the back, a beer, and laughter throughout the whole day. The offer of staying with them would follow very quickly. Phone calls to some old and dear friends would entail. The conversation would go somewhere along these lines.

'Hi Trev. Guess who just showed on my doorstep. That Pommy Bastard, Tone. I told him to bugger off, but the Pommy prat insists on staying. Fancy coming out for a drink with us tonight'.

I hope you are coming someway near understanding what I am trying to say in this post. To reinforce my point even more I can think of no greater example to give than the subject of sport.

Until you have lived and worked in Australia you will have no idea about their very deep-set sporting pride. Pride does not convey what I truly man. It can be truly shocking how much passion most Australians have when it comes to sport.

Now unless you come from the planet Zanussi, or have absolutely no interest in sport whatsoever you will be left in little doubt that any sporting contest involving England versus Australia is without a doubt one of the biggest occasions you will ever come across whilst in Australia.

When I say sport, this you would think covers the more mainstream sports. Rugby, cricket, football, in fact most mainstream sports. But in relation to this chapter I will go into greater detail.

Any Australian worth their salt would try to degrade, deride and insult a house fly that originally came from the UK, or was trained by a Pommy that was taking part against an Aussie housefly vomiting on, and then eating a dog pooh.

I kid you not, I am serious in all that I say. No matter what the 'sport,' most if not all Australian's would be of the same demeanour. The banter between Brit and Aussie would be hilarious to watch and listen to. When I say banter I would advise most young ladies to cover their ears at a such a sporting spectacle.

If you think that I am joking then I will wager you any amount of money that this is the case, once you have lived in Australia for an amount of time you will see that I am correct in all that I say.

Anyway I digress somewhat. Picture the scene. England are playing Australia in an international rugby union test match. I have been there so I know what I am talking about.

You are in the middle of thousands of Australian supporters, all around you there is a sea of green and gold. Occasionally you spy a white English jersey, but they soon disappear among the throngs of screaming Aussies. You think to yourself that they have either been beaten to a pulp by the Aussies, or simply that the English supporters waved the white flag of surrender and sneaked out of the nearest exit.

At every conceivable opportunity, and particular when the England team make a mistake, or score a try the cries and chorus of 'Pommy bastard' resounds around you like an earthquake building up to a crescendo that truly deafens you.

This is intermittently interspersed with slaps on the back, cold beer being thrown from great distance, and language that can only be described as diabolical. And all of it is aimed your way. To make sure their feelings are reinforced every single chant and saying is prefaced with Pommy.

This takes place over a period of approximately two hours. At the conclusion of the match you are in fear for your very life, or so you would imagine. No matter who was the winning team, you will be left with little doubt that the end is high.

However after having seen and heard such things the next thing you know is an arm around your shoulder and an Aussie saying, 'Well you Pommy bastard you were lucky.' Or, 'Oh Pommy bastard, we whooped your backside'.

The relief you feel is palpable. Then it crosses your mind that maybe, just maybe, all of this so called comaradae is just their way of lulling you into a false sense of security. You are convinced that at the earliest possible juncture the 'new' friend you have found will lead you down the nearest dark and gloomy back alley, and him or her for that matter along with their friends will give you the thrashing of a lifetime.

With this thought on your mind you do your level best to laugh and share in their 'friendship'. But constantly in the back of your mind is that you never had a chance to say goodbye to your nearest and dearest before your number was up.

Happy memories of childhood holidays flash before your eyes. Your children's faces are ingrained deeply into your brain. Your heart starts to miss beats. For a second you start to hyperventilate.

But with gritted teeth and a very dry mouth you find yourself carrying on the conversation laughing and joking with all those around you. You hope in this way that it will in someway make the inevitable bashing that is coming your way a little less painful.

The Aussies may after all take pity on you, and maybe hold back ever so slightly. However the atmosphere begins to change and you find yourself actually starting to relax, and even enjoy the banter that is now surrounding you from all sides.

You start to join in and find yourself giving as good as you get. At times you think you have over stepped the mark and once again your life flashes before your eyes. But these were indeed false thoughts. The next thing you know you are being swept along with the crowd and end up down the local pub, to either drown your sorrows, or celebrate in victory.

Either way of course the Pommy bashing will carry on, long into the night, the more alcohol consumed the more the banter will continue. But I can assure you that at the end of the night, if you remember it of course, you would have made many friends who shall remain with you throughout your life in Australia.

That is one side of the story, the flip side to this is a completely different story. Of course you could have reacted in a totally different way. You could have reacted with vitriol and contempt. Taken the moral high ground, jumped on your high horse and picked a fight with many dozens of people. Of course this would have soon erupted into something that got out of control, and you would regret it immensely.

I have seen this happen once or twice and it is not a pretty sight I can assure you. There is nothing wrong at all in joining in with this banter, but it has to be done in a way that does not cause offence and is not intentionally meant to hurt anyone. You say to yourself that if the Aussie fans can give it out then it is only fair that they should be able to take it back.

I would like you to try and remember the last time you saw on TV, or in your daily newspaper a report that said there had been serious crowd trouble at any sporting contest between England and Australia.

I would wager that you have never seen such a report, because quite simply it does not happen. True, you will often watch a match on TV, especially Cricket or Rugby, between these two nations and see the crowd baying for each others blood. But have you noticed that this is always accompanied by howls of laughter. The crowds at these events love their teams dearly, so the support shown is understandable. But the atmosphere at such sporting contests is wonderful to behold.

As I have said there is a way of going down such a path to make any such sporting contest an enjoyable and relaxed evening.

If you can give as good as you get, and the language used is of a humorous and tongue in cheek nature, then I can assure you that the evening will be one of the best evenings you will ever have.

I guess what I am trying in this chapter is simply this. You HAVE to expect that you and to some extent you and your family are going to get some ribbing when you first arrive in Australia, it is an inevitable fact of life. It is also true that you will find this an ever present facet of Australian culture.

No matter how many years you live in Australia, and I hope it is for the rest of your life this facet of the Australian psyche will never change. One thing that you have got to remember is that it is no way a personal attack on you as an individual.

It is more of an attack on the mere fact that you are from the UK, nothing more than that. When they first meet you of course they are going to immediately find your weak spot, and that weak spot is purely the fact that you are a Pommy.

As in most walks of life it is the obvious that people will pick up on certain aspects of your character or appearance upon first meeting you. I for one have 'allegedly' ears that to a certain extent are somewhat protruding. My life at school was at times made to be hell, but this was a rare occurrence indeed.

The vast majority of times my ears played an integral part in me making many long term friends who I can count on today. The leg pulling and humour people found in the appearance of my ears not only made them laugh, but I also enjoyed it immensely.

I used the word attack earlier, and maybe that was the wrong choice of word, maybe I should replace this with 'ribbing'. Because that is all it is at the end of the day. If you react in a defensive manner I can assure you that this ribbing will be ceaseless.

The word Pommy has been in the Australian vocabulary for many a year. No matter what you do, or say there is no way that you are ever going to stop this happening, so it is pointless in trying to do so.

I am not for one minute saying that yo have to roll over like a dog and accept all that is said to you, particularly if the word Pommy is used with contempt. No, what I am saying is simply this. That if you can ride out the first few weeks of the so called Pommy bashing, and to a certain extent give as good as you get, then I can assure you that at the end of the day you too will be laughing along with everyone else.

I would like to clarify one point here. For whatever reason, the use of the word Pommy is more often than not the preserve of men. I would like to think that this is because the female of the species thinks a little bit more before she speaks, and they do not want to cause offence.

But I can honestly say that my wife was referred to as Pommy or Pom to a far lesser extent than I ever was. I would estimate I was called it at least one hundred times to her one.

So ladies, you can take this two ways. One is to thank your lucky stars that this is a rare occurrence among the ladies of Australia. Or you could view it as you having never been accepted. I know which one is true, and thankfully it is the former.

Before I finish this post I would like to clarify one point. I have used the word 'Pommy' many times during this post, and I would hate to think that it has come across as normal everyday language.

Yes, you will hear it at sporting occasions, within the workplace to a degree. You will also hear it being used on TV and in the media whenever the subject of Brit's come up. But in no way, shape or form could you call it everyday normal language.

For instance you will not be paying for you're weekly groceries, and the assistant behind the counter says 'That will $127 please, you POMMY BASTARD'. This would only happen if you knew them very well!

You will not be served food in a cafe and the waiting staff each time they bring you your order say, 'There you go, you bloody WHINGEING POM'. This just will not happen.

I would hate to think that you have read this chapter and thought that every other sentence spoken to you in Australia contains within its text the word Pommy. Nothing could be further from the truth, I promise you.

But what I am saying is simply this. The word in question has been used for many years and no matter what, will continue to be so. There is little you can do about this, and the quicker you accept this side of Australian culture the more happy you will be.

Take care

Tony:wink:

Sorry, i dont buy the pomegranate/immigrant theory, I keep saying it over and over but cant get it to rhyme in any accent. Even if those ARE the origins of the word, most Aussies dont know that.

Being a bit of a darker shade of anglo , often confused for a Turk aor italian in the uk and europe wtf, was in a bar with some mates svin a bit of a laff with a lancashire lad and we were givin it the broad accent thing . This aussie informed me in the carzy that they thought i was a pom but after hearin us thought i was a wog ! :shocked:

Mally aka mustafa nuther

HI EVERYONE

I LIVE IN REGIONAL NSW WHERE BELIEVE ME, THEY ARE THICK AS "BLEEP"

THE SO CALLED CORPORATE I WORK FOR IS AS RACIST AS THEY COME HOWEVER ONLY TO "POMS" SORRY BUT I CANT STAND THE WORD ANY MORE.

IF I DARE MAKE A COMMENT WITH "CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM" I AM CALLED A WINGEING POM, SOMETIMES I AM REFERRED TO AS THE TEN POUND POM EVEN THO I AM WAY TOO YOUNG, ALSO REFERRED TO AS THE GREAT UNWASHED.

I AM CONSIDERING TAKING THEM TO THE TRIBUNAL FOR RACIAL VILIFICATION BECAUSE ITS NOT RIGHT. DOES ANYONE ELSE SUFFER THIS TYPE OF ABUSE AND DOES ANYONE KNOW OF THE ORGANISATION THAT IS AGAINST BEING CALLED POMS ALL THE TIME?

OTHER THAN THAT, ITS A PRETTY PLACE, BUT WISH TESCO'S MARKS AND SPARKS AND BOOTS WERE HERE TOO, NOT TO MENTION A MILLION AND ONE PROPER PUBS AND CLUBS,,, SIGH,, BUT HEY, YOU CANT HAVE IT ALL. XXXXXXXXXXXXX ANY HELLP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

NATALIE X:arghh:

Well Natalie, iam in the " give as good as you get" department ,but it has to be done with humour.

If its done in " anger" or if they make you bite, YOU LOSE !

I had a little incident happen on the football/ soccer field ,where after serious provocation over a number of games , i knocked an aussie bloke " spark out".

Iam not trying to justify it or recommend it, but after that all my " aussie" mates,most of whom were Aussie rules players knew where they stood with " THE POM".

Guest sooveroz

For instance you will not be paying for you're weekly groceries, and the assistant behind the counter says 'That will $127 please, you POMMY BASTARD'.

completely agree - this would never happen - $127 for a weeks groceries -never!!!!!!!! more like - that will be $327 you pommy bastard!

:wink:

For instance you will not be paying for you're weekly groceries, and the assistant behind the counter says 'That will $127 please, you POMMY BASTARD'.

completely agree - this would never happen - $127 for a weeks groceries -never!!!!!!!! more like - that will be $327 you pommy bastard!

:wink:

I take it you've been served by me then. :wubclub:

yeah whatever

as me mate Dave used to say "don't p!ss on my boots and tell me its raining"

Welcome BTW

I really wish I could be as supportive as you!

I dont suppose for one minute you considered that not all people are morons and that they can be easily affected.

There are times when being "larconic" is just another word for pig ignorant

Just so i know there are other people with balls around who arent soppy enough to just sit back and say, oh, the aussies like being insulting so its ok...

Im an australian citizen,, but i dont advertise the fact i have had half my brain removed do i.

I don't think stuff like this helps you, I can be supportive to those feeling hard done by whether its real or imagined, but your last comment makes you as bad as them!

If you are a citizen, it indicates you have been here at least three years.

My daughter went through a time being a brit in a big company and her "mates" played her up a bit. She is now their team leader and accepted.

Its about mixing in and being part of the "culture".

As for going to tribunals... why not do that...if you are near retiring age coz it will never look good on your CV!

If you are that unhappy....get another job and a thicker skin

Archived