Sick of being called a wingeing pom

Guest storyteller

I really wish I could be as supportive as you!

I dont suppose for one minute you considered that not all people are morons and that they can be easily affected.

There are times when being "larconic" is just another word for pig ignorant

Is that like one of them lucozde type drinks?:wink:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a similiar experience when I worked for a year with some Greek Australians. I changed company and work for Anglo Australians.

The Greek guys were always on my case, and did not get the humour.

The Anglos are too laid back and 'she'll be auroight.

I prefer the Anglos. But I dont give a ****, I go in, do my work, make sure its alright.

Let other people worry about the 'telling what to do'

and take it easy.

Guest scouse Alan

Natilie we are all differant for some 1 to call me a pomme doesnt do anything Im proud of where I come from, dont let it get to you if people see things affend you some will say it more, you are a pomme just relax. Saying things like you want to go to a tribunal what idea is that, does that sound like a winger it does to me. when you say the pubs the shops arnt the same well dah its another country go to spain or france they arnt the same there look at what you have and why you left the uk now ten pound pomme your answer to that is I wish I only came with a fiver, I wish it would have only cost my fam a tenner to come. To every 1 that reads this aussies are just the same as the english or (pomms) if scouser goes to london he s picked on if a cockney comes north he s picked on but thats life, for my family australia is the best place for us to live and when I see my 14yr old running down the road to catch the 5am bus to the beach with his buggy board under his arm I think thank god for this great life,my children are truelly living a dream so to 1 winging pomme to another Nat get over it and make friends of the team. Alan

Guest sh7t man no way
HI EVERYONE

I LIVE IN REGIONAL NSW WHERE BELIEVE ME, THEY ARE THICK AS "BLEEP"

THE SO CALLED CORPORATE I WORK FOR IS AS RACIST AS THEY COME HOWEVER ONLY TO "POMS" SORRY BUT I CANT STAND THE WORD ANY MORE.

IF I DARE MAKE A COMMENT WITH "CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM" I AM CALLED A WINGEING POM, SOMETIMES I AM REFERRED TO AS THE TEN POUND POM EVEN THO I AM WAY TOO YOUNG, ALSO REFERRED TO AS THE GREAT UNWASHED.

I AM CONSIDERING TAKING THEM TO THE TRIBUNAL FOR RACIAL VILIFICATION BECAUSE ITS NOT RIGHT. DOES ANYONE ELSE SUFFER THIS TYPE OF ABUSE AND DOES ANYONE KNOW OF THE ORGANISATION THAT IS AGAINST BEING CALLED POMS ALL THE TIME?

OTHER THAN THAT, ITS A PRETTY PLACE, BUT WISH TESCO'S MARKS AND SPARKS AND BOOTS WERE HERE TOO, NOT TO MENTION A MILLION AND ONE PROPER PUBS AND CLUBS,,, SIGH,, BUT HEY, YOU CANT HAVE IT ALL. XXXXXXXXXXXXX ANY HELLP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

NATALIE X:arghh:

thats just the way most aussies are natalie---they can dish it out--but when it comes to them getting it back they go to that old chesnut saying (whinging poms) .its all a bit like year 9 at school.

Guest siamsusie

thats just the way most aussies are natalie---they can dish it out--but when it comes to them getting it back they go to that old chesnut saying (whinging poms) .its all a bit like year 9 at school.

An extremely broad generalisation there, I have a broad spectrum of Australian friends and we bounce off one another. I felt great shame when I was being driven by an Indian taxi driver in Perth who related how badly he was treated in the UK by its residents and how he was immediately accepted by the Australians who "always give him a fair chance". It works both ways and after all its all words from the Aussies, in general I find they would rather do you a good turn than a bad turn,:wubclub:

Guest brummie39

There is a good aussie saying " suck it up princess".

It goes both aways too, being an ausie in u.k, i soon get the pee ripped out of me when aussie's lose in any sport.

I just get on with it. Fair play i say, you did good. It is an age old thing between english and aussie', and will always be there.

I think going to a tribunal is definatley not a good idea, just have a good banter with them, and give it back, its all in good humour, not meant to be offensive.

Guest tiarnizak

I am an aussie and have lived and worked in the UK for the last 10 years (going back to aus next June - yay) and I have had my fair share of stick from this end I can tell you - rusty ankled convict, skippy (from my boss no less) and many other more obscence remarks.

My approach, take it all in good humour and give as good as you get. If the remarks made are particularly made and obviously not directed with any humour then of course you have the right to make a complaint but this may well alienate you and you will be known as a 'dobbing pom' not just a whingeing one and it could all just become too much for you.

I do sympathise to an extent but think that if you give it back as a aussie would say 'you'll be right'

good luck

Guest Yvonne MacFarlane

Dont miss Boots, M and S is available on line (if you really are desperate) and Tesco's? With wonderful fresh food markets and huge variety everywhere who needs Tesco's?

Australia RULES.

Guest Guest31881

I have read through most of the threads on here and agree with most of them, I do not take being called a Pom as an insult.....

Over the years i have worked with, taffy, jock, scoucers (great sence of humor) geordies, cockney, i moved from the west mids to work down south and was called a Brummie (even though i dont come from there). Now i am in Australia I am called a Pom. I will often introduce myself as Marges Pommie husband (Marge is an Ozzie).

Its all part of the banter and is part and parcel of living here, I have never been called winging but that could be because I do not compare the two countries when chatting to Australians. If someone moved to the UK and immediatly started to give 'constructive critism' I think I would tell them where the airport is so they can go back home. :notworthy:

Guest The Spoonies

I never knew about the 'Prisoner of Mother' England thing!! Learn a new thing every day, I assumed it was referring to Pompey (as in Portsmouth), oops.

I actually don't give two monkeys hoots to be honest. I rib them as much as they rib me and as long as its done with a sense of humour its fine. If you let it get to you they will just keep going.

No..

Aussie is a shortened version of Australian just as others like Brit, Abo, Paki... they are NOT offensive as a word. The term POM usually implies Prisoner of Mother England or a similar interpretation so in essence is derogatory by definition whether people mind or not that's a fact.

Ignore it by all means but you don't HAVE to like it.:cute:

I am an aussie and have lived and worked in the UK for the last 10 years (going back to aus next June - yay) and I have had my fair share of stick from this end I can tell you - rusty ankled convict, skippy (from my boss no less) and many other more obscence remarks.

My approach, take it all in good humour and give as good as you get. If the remarks made are particularly made and obviously not directed with any humour then of course you have the right to make a complaint but this may well alienate you and you will be known as a 'dobbing pom' not just a whingeing one and it could all just become too much for you.

I do sympathise to an extent but think that if you give it back as a aussie would say 'you'll be right'

good luck

Welcome to PIO

Fellow Aussie here, agree with what you say it's amazing how many cricket and rugby fans England have when they win......... just can't find any when we win, CRICKET/RUGBY what's that???? No No soccer is my sport...

Originally Posted by Aldo

No..

Aussie is a shortened version of Australian just as others like Brit, Abo, Paki... they are NOT offensive as a word. The term POM usually implies Prisoner of Mother England or a similar interpretation so in essence is derogatory by definition whether people mind or not that's a fact.

Ignore it by all means but you don't HAVE to like it.

I never knew about the 'Prisoner of Mother' England thing!! Learn a new thing every day, I assumed it was referring to Pompey (as in Portsmouth), oops.

I actually don't give two monkeys hoots to be honest. I rib them as much as they rib me and as long as its done with a sense of humour its fine. If you let it get to you they will just keep going.

'Prisoner of Mother England' is just a theory like many other....most people couldn't give two hoots what it stands for in day to day use...stating that that is the correct meaning of the word and therefore it is offensive seems a stretch....just means English like Kiwi means New Zealander.

Guest bendeeg
'Prisoner of Mother England' is just a theory like many other....most people couldn't give two hoots what it stands for in day to day use...stating that that is the correct meaning of the word and therefore it is offensive seems a stretch....just means English like Kiwi means New Zealander.

so if pom really means 'prisoner of mother england' surely it should be the aussies that get called it!!!!!..lol:biglaugh:

Guest flipflop

good luck

Mate, you know the Poms love an Australian accent and you know we are treated well in the UK and you know a lot of Aussies do not like Brits even if they will not admit it.

Guest scouse Alan
There are some academics that believe that a pygmy tribe where here before the abo's

The tribe you are on about where called the fucarewee tribe they where a really small race of people who lived in the outback, The aboriginees where frightened of them but they died out as they couldnt find there way when the grasses got really high so tcouldnt find water, the aboriginees always new when they where there because when they where walking through the long grass they used to have to jump up and you could hear them they used to shout where the fucarewee. believe it or not

The tribe you are on about where called the fucarewee tribe they where a really small race of people who lived in the outback, The aboriginees where frightened of them but they died out as they couldnt find there way when the grasses got really high so tcouldnt find water, the aboriginees always new when they where there because when they where walking through the long grass they used to have to jump up and you could hear them they used to shout where the fucarewee. believe it or not

LOL, I can't believe i was actually believing you until i got to the last bit,lol

Cal x

Guest Working to fish
Cal,,,,whats the word I am looking for??? Gullible????? lol

Joanne ,:hug:

your new avator is a little off putting ,i mean in a nice way

we know you mods are there ,but this some how makes it more real :eek:

seems harder now to take the pi£s

if you know what i mean..................

Pom from pomegranate is because of the pink in the fruit's skin. Our 'rosey cheeks', ahh we really are so cute!!

After the Aussies lost the Ashes the joke doing the rounds in England was "What do you call an Aussie with a bottle of champagne?"......A waiter...

Got some bites from that one..HOOK LINE AND SINKER!!

Archived