QLD State Sponsor - update - where are you now?

Taz2008

All being well with your visa applicaton, when are you hoping to move to Queensland?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. All being well with your visa applicaton, when are you hoping to move to Queensland?

• September 2009 or before
    • October 2009
    • November 2009
    • December 2009
    • January 2010
    • February 2010
    • March 2010
    • April 2010
    • May 2010
    • June 2010 or later

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys back quicker than i thought..

PROPERTY

Rentals on the Sunshine coast do vary but i'd say the average for a 4 bed 3 bath 2 car is around $500-550 per week, some would also include a pool..Rentals do become limited in the summer as Aussies from SA, Victoria and NSW etc come up for the summer and believe me they will get the nod before you..Our friends arrived last September and secured a rental eventually through an agent where a lady from the UK was working..These guys will vet all applicants and do push onto the renter their recommendations..Also if you sell in the UK ask your agent to write you a reference to say you left your house in the UK in good nick, this will help you secure a rental in Oz..

Only bills on a rental you are obliged to pay are Electricity and phone..There is no gas supply, only gas bottles you see are for BBQ's, no water rates as most houses have own underground tanks that collect rain water..

One word of advice we got from agents while over here, is if you come over before your furniture then try and get a deal with a holiday complex..There fully furnished and have all your needs, laundry, pool etc..You can haggle a deal if staying a few months of around $400 per week and then get a reference at end towards your rental..

Homes for sale also vary in price, the type of house described above would be around $450000 to $700000 dependant on area..But you could buy a new build house and land package for about $350000 but beware these houses are nearly on top of each other..

The interest rate was running at 6% and the morgages being offered were 10 x combined salary but cheapest fixed rate morgage we could find was 8.5%..

Gotta go again guys but i'll be back...

Hi fellow Qlsd peeps!! :hug:

Heres a little info regarding our reccie...

The Flight!

We flew with Singapore Airlines and boy were we impressed, service, food and entertainment was excellent and you can see why they won the award for Ecomony travel of the year 2009..Constantly offering drinks, basically anything you want! water, pop, beer, spirits etc..Food you get a menu!! Yes there is a choice!! Kids meals great and they served them first so no whinning..Plenty of entertainment with movies, music and games on your personnel TV..Latest film offering examples were District 9 and MJ's This Is It, Kids were G Force and Up..We flew the new Airbus 800 which seems smoother and has plenty of leg room even in Economy.

Singapore Airport is huge and very clean, loads of shops and boy its cheap..Currently 2.20 SG $ to the GBP..Typical buffet style meal for 4 plus drinks is around £25!!

If you go straight through to Brisbane then on landing at Singapore your cases are automaticaly sent to your next flight.But we do not recommend this!!

We flew 12hrs 30mins to Singapore and then laid on the airport floor for 2 hrs before boarding our 8 hr flight to Brisbane!!! Basically you get on another plane in the same seats looking at the same entertainment if you get my drift!!

Would recommend stopping off for a few days at first port of call be it Singapore or another, also if you can fly out at end of month then they change the entertainment on the first of evey month so you aint stuck with the same stuff you just watched..Example, first flight around 30th and next after stop over say the 2nd..

I think it would add to a more pleasant journey..

Aussy Roads and Traffic

We headed for the Sunshine coast on arrival and actualy headed for Tewantin which is next to Noosa..This is the top of the Sunshine coast and is around a 2hr drive from North Brisbane on the main Bruce Highway (M1)...Yes its the M1 but once leaving Brisbane is only 2 lanes and occassionaly drops down to one..The speed limit is 100Km but you find most Aussies overtake you at this speed even though in Qsld speeding is really a serious offence...You can actually lose your license and on holidays they double the fine..One area cops hang out is roadworks and traffic does slow down to 40KM, but roadworks are only carried out at nite..The nearest point on the Sunshine coast to Brizzie is Caloundra which is around 1 hrs commute permitting no accidents..

You can also travel the Sunshine coast as we did other ways too without heading to the M1..The Sunshine Highway links all resorts but apart from Kawana and Maroochydore its only 1 lane each way and its approx 1hr between top and bottom. The David Lowe way runs up the coastline and is my favourite, not fast but the scenary is awsome, this also takes you through all the places the Sunshine Coast has to offer.

Driving is easy enough as not much traffic, and most cars are automatic, didn't encounter many traffic lites as most junctions are controlled by roundabouts, but two words of advice..One) Pedestrian crossings rule, ppl just walk out without looking and they do have right of way so just be careful..Two) Aussies do not giveway, if you are travelling a small road or are at a giveway and flash them to go first they basically just sit there, they do not have the slightest idea what you are saying!!

Cars are cheap in my view, new cars offer good warranties and i think are the way to go especialy if your a cash buyer as used cars seem to hold there price very well.. Examples

2WD HYUNDAI PPL CARRIER(SUV) $24000..

4WD NISSAN PATHFINDER (7 SEATER) $38000..

Cars come with Reggo's which basically cover the vehicle 3rd party so there is no obligation for you to have insurance, in Oz the vehicle is insured not the person!

Fuel was at $1.19 per Litre but in Oz they have wots called cheap Tuesday where everything on a Tuesday drops down in price including fuel?? Yep sounds nuts but its true..

One good thing about driving is parking is practically free everywhere, town centres, beaches infact i only paid once in 3 weeks for parking which was down in Mooloolaba on NYE? But be aware of parking correctly, although its free some bays are 1, 2 or 3 hrs only and some are rear in parking or front in only!

You can drive on your UK license for 3 months but its best to get a Qsld one ASAP as its proof of address, so can be used to join clubs such as the RSL..Its also law that you carry proof of ID at all times..Geting license is easy, just go to local council show UK license,proof of address and have your picture taken..Hey presto you have it, yep its just a laminated piece of card with your picture on and no you dont need any test..

I will add more later...

:hug:

Thats brilliant thanks for that !!

I always thought you had to do a test once in OZ am sure i read that some where but things must have changed thank god....i was dreading that having to change ways and learn it all again....being a woman driver !!!!!! :biglaugh:

Hi Crowded House,

If you havent managed to complete your advanced course before heading out to Australia, then give me a shout when we're out there and I shall help you as much as I can. I wont be able to instruct and pass you but I can tell you what to expect and brush up on any skills.

If your every about Manchester then be sure to contact Orca Divers and head out to Capernwray one weekend. In the summer that place is great.

As far as I can remember, the Advanced is much easier than the Open Water. You have to choose I think its 5 speciality courses to choose, two are compulsorybut the other choices are Deep, Wreck, navigation, drift etc.

I am just watching the Perth Wanted Down Under.

Cheers

Matt

Cheers Matt

Sounds like we will be out round the same time anyway so would be good to probably join a dive club. Im heading down to Stoney Cove in the spring. hopefully when its warmer will go with there local club. Off for a beer mate. turned 30 today, dont know if i should laugh or cry ha ha :no:

Hi Carl, It was only today i was thinking about...and then you come on here to post, I will have a read of your post now and hope it perks me up as im loosing the will to live with this visa wait.

Proview

Hi

Funny you said that "loosing the will power " my fella said the same to me tonight before watching WDU !!!

Were in Manchester are you? Utd or City?????

Lindsey

Hi

Funny you said that "loosing the will power " my fella said the same to me tonight before watching WDU !!!

Were in Manchester are you? Utd or City?????

Lindsey

Utd or City, dont want to talk about it, need i say anymore, lol.............Man u all the way

WDU does my head in she is full of s***

Utd or City, dont want to talk about it, need i say anymore, lol.............Man u all the way

WDU does my head in she is full of s***

Hello mate

I have'nt seen the new WDU but watched all the others. From what I saw its nothing like what we have experianced and can be a bit misleading, but they never done a plasterer sorry renderer did they?

Hi Carl hurry up and get out here mate theres a 'cold one' waiting for yer mate.

In fact theres a cold waiting for all you blokes.... Glass of white wine for the ladies.

Hi guys back quicker than i thought..

Gotta go again guys but i'll be back...

Wow Carl what a great write up, lots of interesting points.

Thanks and keep them coming!

Hows it going with the house sale? Any offers yet???

Tasha:wubclub:

Hi guys im back with more info..

Education

Looked at schools when over, education is free BUT! you have to pay for school uniform and resources for the coming year..Dont worry its not because your a migrant Aussys also have to pay, when i say resources i mean books, pencils, paper etc..

Our friends said it cost around $92 for the year...Also Aussy kids start school at age 6, so your children when starting school there will be repeating the year they just did!!

School is open from 8am so you can drop your kids off early if you need to work..

The school we looked at in Tewantin had play grounds, a sandpit and outdoor heated pool!!

The Aussy Curriculm puts PE high on the list and no child leaves school unable to swim, another weird thing was Environmental and Society studies which also comes before Maths, this teaches em about the wildlife and to look after the surrounding area from a young age...Hence a clean and tidy town!!

Wildlife

In the month we were there we encounted no snakes... We caught one Huntsman that got into the house due to leaving front door open (see my pics).. Did get some smaller spiders in bedding that we left hanging out for 3 days on washing line to dry, but not sure if they were nasty ones.Just remember to shake all bedding before putting on. Kangaroos seem to roam free, they tend to make an appearance mainly at dusk and its strange to see them just hopping around your garden but really dont bother you..Koalas also roam free and you have to be careful when driving at night as loads are killed on the roads, but signs do warn you...Also eventually you get used to the lizards, Geckos roam around your home and are harmless, infact they do a good job in ridding you of troublesome insects like the cockroach and mozzies.. Ants are a pain and no matter how much you lock your windows, doors and spray repelant if you leave a single crumb on the floor then their in!! Get ready to return home from work to a trail of the blighters!! Also get ready for maggots in the bin!!..

If you are interested in wildlife though i recommend a trip to Australia zoo the home of the crocodile hunter, you wouldn't think Steve Irwin was dead if you went there..

The place is fantastic and is located just south of the Sunshine coast and north of Brizzie..Takes a full day to get round and is around £70 for a family of four...

You can feed Roos, elephants and hold Koalas and snakes...Well worth a visit! Also recommend Underwater world at Mooloolaba for the sealife, in fact very much like sealife centres in Uk but on a bigger scale..

Right guys gotta shoot again but stay tuned for more...

Hi guys im back with more info..

Education

Looked at schools when over, education is free BUT! you have to pay for school uniform and resources for the coming year..Dont worry its not because your a migrant Aussys also have to pay, when i say resources i mean books, pencils, paper etc..

Our friends said it cost around $92 for the year...Also Aussy kids start school at age 6, so your children when starting school there will be repeating the year they just did!!

School is open from 8am so you can drop your kids off early if you need to work..

The school we looked at in Tewantin had play grounds, a sandpit and outdoor heated pool!!

The Aussy Curriculm puts PE high on the list and no child leaves school unable to swim, another weird thing was Environmental and Society studies which also comes before Maths, this teaches em about the wildlife and to look after the surrounding area from a young age...Hence a clean and tidy town!!

Wildlife

In the month we were there we encounted no snakes... We caught one Huntsman that got into the house due to leaving front door open (see my pics).. Did get some smaller spiders in bedding that we left hanging out for 3 days on washing line to dry, but not sure if they were nasty ones.Just remember to shake all bedding before putting on. Kangaroos seem to roam free, they tend to make an appearance mainly at dusk and its strange to see them just hopping around your garden but really dont bother you..Koalas also roam free and you have to be careful when driving at night as loads are killed on the roads, but signs do warn you...Also eventually you get used to the lizards, Geckos roam around your home and are harmless, infact they do a good job in ridding you of troublesome insects like the cockroach and mozzies.. Ants are a pain and no matter how much you lock your windows, doors and spray repelant if you leave a single crumb on the floor then their in!! Get ready to return home from work to a trail of the blighters!! Also get ready for maggots in the bin!!..

If you are interested in wildlife though i recommend a trip to Australia zoo the home of the crocodile hunter, you wouldn't think Steve Irwin was dead if you went there..

The place is fantastic and is located just south of the Sunshine coast and north of Brizzie..Takes a full day to get round and is around £70 for a family of four...

You can feed Roos, elephants and hold Koalas and snakes...Well worth a visit! Also recommend Underwater world at Mooloolaba for the sealife, in fact very much like sealife centres in Uk but on a bigger scale..

Right guys gotta shoot again but stay tuned for more...

I've clicked your chick for the great info your sharing....big thanks :smile:

Sorry All just realised i made my validation trip piccies private...

They are now public...Enjoy!!!

Thankyou yorkshireclan for your very informative posts I really enjoyed reading them.

I read your first one at 3am this morn!!! couldn't sleep......too much worrying about stupid things:wideeyed: After reading your post my head was full of happy thoughts of Oz and I soon fell back to sleep and slept like a baby :SLEEP:

Thanks again

debsxx

Guest washer rs
Sorry All just realised i made my validation trip piccies private...

They are now public...Enjoy!!!

Hi Yorkshireclan,

Thanks for all the info you have posted & also letting us look at your pic's, i was in Noosa this time last year, (it seems so long ago..!)

I love Noosa, such a cool & chilled out place, its a must for everyone to visit :cool:

Just wish i could get back there sooner, guess it will have to be another holiday with no signs of any Visa's:cry:

Jason

Guest washer rs

Hi everyone,

Whats happening with the SS..?? :cry: They seem to be on a go slow again :SLEEP:

Someone out there must have some good news this week..????

Guest KellyandTom

Hi Yorkshire Clan - thanks for your posts. Really helpful info. Sounds like you were very busy on your reccie trip - how long did you go for? Kelly & Tom

Guest Sandisonsonthemove

Hi all

Many thanks to Yorkshire Clan for all the information - is there anything there that you really did not like? I know you should not compare it to the UK but surely to start with that cannot be helped!?

Just to let you know I spoke to Qld again on Tuesday last week and our papers were delivered in the morning and our application had gone for a decision. Lord knows how much longer we will have to wait for that but I will let you know once our letter is received - one way or another!!

take care all

Donna xx

Guest washer rs

Hi Tasha

I'm not sure if you would know but i have a question that i thought you might be able to help me with,,

My sister was going out with an Aussie guy for some years in which time they had a son together, she now wants to go back to Australia with her son (he has an Australian Pass Port)

The question is would she have a right to stay there or would she still have to apply for a visa? if so what visa would it be?

Many thanks

Jason

Hi Tasha

I'm not sure if you would know but i have a question that i thought you might be able to help me with,,

My sister was going out with an Aussie guy for some years in which time they had a son together, she now wants to go back to Australia with her son (he has an Australian Pass Port)

The question is would she have a right to stay there or would she still have to apply for a visa? if so what visa would it be?

Many thanks

Jason

Hi Jason

Oooh no sorry, have no idea what-so-ever! I would think she would need to have a visa as you need one for everything else!

Why don't you try posting the question on the open forum and see if anyone can answer the question for you??? One of the agents on here might help you.

Cheers

Tasha :wubclub:

Hey Tasha

An update for you!!!!! Hang on to your seats.. got an email this morning saying we have till 22 Sep to leave Oz and get our visa's validated.... so currently looking at planning a trip to NZ hopefully this month or Feb just trying to sort it out now..... am very excited, we've been waiting for this so we can move forward with buying a house etc and just can't wait to get sorted...... will keep you updated... J xx

Hey Tasha

An update for you!!!!! Hang on to your seats.. got an email this morning saying we have till 22 Sep to leave Oz and get our visa's validated.... so currently looking at planning a trip to NZ hopefully this month or Feb just trying to sort it out now..... am very excited, we've been waiting for this so we can move forward with buying a house etc and just can't wait to get sorted...... will keep you updated... J xx

Yeah, about time hey! Seems like you have been waiting ages... So glad you are now finally there properly.

Hope you have a nice trip over to NZ.

Make sure you stay in touch...

Tasha:wubclub:

Hi guys

Works picked up and girls start 1st day at school tomorrow so another big step coming up.

Just had Australia day went to the local event and then on to the beach. It was the busiest I've seen the place since being here had a really good day. Working Noosa tomorrow reckon there will be some soreheads.

Got pm Tasha. No worries.

Luv Lance..

Hi guys im back for more..

Shopping

Supermarkets its either Coles or Woolworths, we found the food shopping to be slightly higher if not on par with the UK..They also have Big W which is basically Woolworths superstores, here you can get most things just like the superstores in the UK.All towns on the Sunshine coast have all or one of the above, we also found a few Aldi supermarkets knocking about..

Be prepared though for a taste bud shock as nothing tastes the same, meat is mainly beef including beef sausages and risoles, which are basically large meatballs with spices..

Alcohol is only available from liquor stores like liqourland and BWS, again we thought ale was more expensive than the UK.. Stella was around $84 for 2 boxes of 24 bottles, cheapest Aussy beer was XXX Gold which was around $60 for the same..The good thing about these stores is they are drive through, which for us idle folks is a bonus..

Drive in , order and they stick it in the boot for you and then collect the cash!!

Biggest shopping place we ventured to was the Sunshine Plaza in Maroochydore, this had most of the big stores but again expensive!! $29 for a beach towel!! There doesn't seem to be any cheaper stores in Oz so think its best to stock up on stuff in Uk before going and defo take all your belongings with you..Noticed most mens cloths stores were centered towards surf gear like Quicksilver and Ripcurl, very expensive..

Eating Out

Plenty of choice with this and lots of steak places and chip and fish shops..

Tend to find fish is expensive which is strange considering your right next to the ocean? But it was around $50 for four to eat fish and chips.. Beer out is around $5 a bottle so again expensive..Typical price for a meal out for four was around $50-$90 depending on restaurant..

RSL and Surf clubs are popular, you pay around £90 for a 5 year membership..They have casinos in them, bars and dining areas also have entertainment like live bands.

We were taken to these places as guests of our friends and found meals and drinks priced ok, family of four to eat around $40. Children have to leave by 9pm but this ok as you find most Aussies are done for the night by then..Infact most places are empty at this sort of time.. Another good thing about RSL clubs is they have a free bus which takes you home if your wrecked, or you can ring the club and ask them to pick you up if your wanting a drink..So i'll be on the blower most nites!!

Gotta dash now will continue later!:hug:

Archived