SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT

Hi every-one...

I'm, glad I found this thread though I'm beginning to panic now. My husband was granted citizenship by decent summer last year and we have waited until the house sold before applying for my 'partnership visa' thinking it would only take a couple of weeks to come through (OH received his within 10 days of application)

We have now sold, police checks will be through this week and once that arrives, we're taking the trip to Oz house in London to make the application...

So it looks like our timeline of me and our 2 daughters being in Oz by September this year are unlikely???

Is is possible to go out on a tourist visa and wait on my visa to be granted???

Hi every-one...

I'm, glad I found this thread though I'm beginning to panic now. My husband was granted citizenship by decent summer last year and we have waited until the house sold before applying for my 'partnership visa' thinking it would only take a couple of weeks to come through (OH received his within 10 days of application)

We have now sold, police checks will be through this week and once that arrives, we're taking the trip to Oz house in London to make the application...

So it looks like our timeline of me and our 2 daughters being in Oz by September this year are unlikely???

Is is possible to go out on a tourist visa and wait on my visa to be granted???

In short, yes you can go to Aus on a tourist visa, but when it is time to grant your visa you will have to leave the country. This is because if you apply offshore then you need to be offshore when it is granted. You will need to let your case officer know of your plans so that they can tell you when it's about to be granted.

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT
In short, yes you can go to Aus on a tourist visa, but when it is time to grant your visa you will have to leave the country. This is because if you apply offshore then you need to be offshore when it is granted. You will need to let your case officer know of your plans so that they can tell you when it's about to be granted.

Thanks wakeboard1980,

when you say offshore when it's issued, does that mean hopping over to Bali or NZ to have it issued? or coming home to UK???

You've just liefted a ton weight off my shoulders, thanks for that :o)

Guest WaitingPatiently

Hi Andrea, You can go to Bali or NZ, anywhere as long as it's outside Aus for a few days (I think 4 but don't quote me). Great excuse for a holiday!

Guest WaitingPatiently

Hi all, I haven't posted for a while but just an update. We've made it to the estimated visa grant date with our sanity intact so far (despite being seperated for 2 months and a baby only 10 weeks away). The estimated date we were given was YESTERDAY(!!:arghh:!!) and still no email. We've tried so hard not to pester our CO as we learned from this forum that it rearly helps and is more likely to hinder progress (thanks for the tips guys!). Should we call or email now?? My partner has his flight booked for 10days time, even though they tell you not to book flights, I think this helped us stay a little bit sane.

Guest GeorgeD

Definitely call your CO...they may be on holiday!

If you meet all the criteria and you've waited the standard processing time then you have every right to call your CO for an update. Tell them about the flights which have been booked. Unless there is a reason for them not to grant the visa then they should be able to process it in time for the trip.

Hi Andrea, You can go to Bali or NZ, anywhere as long as it's outside Aus for a few days (I think 4 but don't quote me). Great excuse for a holiday!

Hi, just came across this and wanted to mention....I flew to Auckland, landed in the afternoon, stayed the night, had appointment with my CO in the morning and was back on a plane to Australia in the afternoon. It may be different as I applied and had my visa processed in New Zealand but certainly I didn't bother staying in Auckland for a few days. I think the main reason for this is that they want you to enter Australia on the correct visa so it goes into the system. If they were to grant the visa while you were onshore then you wouldn't have entered the country on it, if you see what I mean.

Again though, for anyone in this situation, just check with your CO as you would have to advise them of your plans anyway. :biggrin:

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT

Thank you, hurls, waitingpatiently and wakeboard1980.

I really can't tell what a relief reading all this Morning has bought me :)

Waiting patiently, good luck with everything :)

Thanks again folks

Guest halfad

Hi all

After much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair, today we finally got an estimated grant date of 30 June. That will be 5 months since we submitted.

I said it before (got my knuckles wrapped by fellow posters) however I'll say it again. Anyone with CO initials SV has gotten the short straw. Has put us through torture this past 5 months (for no reason other than to cause distress). We will be departing these shores for Australia shortly and she will be a distant memory however. Onwards and upwards.

Can anyone advise if you have to take your passport to London for stamping or do you fly with your email and present at immigration in Australia upon landing? If so presumably they insert your visa into your passport there?

All the best

Halfad

At last after years of talking and planning i can join this thread...

our application was posted to australia house on monday 13th.....

they tried to take money out the next day on 14th byt my o.h had put wrong card number on...!!!! imagine!

anyway crisis averted, money taken out today, 15th June... and so we wait!!

Guest GeorgeD
Hi all

After much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair, today we finally got an estimated grant date of 30 June. That will be 5 months since we submitted.

I said it before (got my knuckles wrapped by fellow posters) however I'll say it again. Anyone with CO initials SV has gotten the short straw. Has put us through torture this past 5 months (for no reason other than to cause distress). We will be departing these shores for Australia shortly and she will be a distant memory however. Onwards and upwards.

Can anyone advise if you have to take your passport to London for stamping or do you fly with your email and present at immigration in Australia upon landing? If so presumably they insert your visa into your passport there?

All the best

Halfad

I had the same CO. I understand what you mean about the torture. Looking back on it, I really don't think there was anything personal or deliberate in it. In fact, I think the torture I went through was pretty much all self imposed! At the time I probably felt like you, but what we all need to remember is that it is a highly emotional and stressful thing for all us applicants. For Case Officers, it's basically just a job. They don't have the same emotional rollercoaster as us, they just have a job to do as laid out by legislation and have bosses standing over them demanding more when their departments are given less and less resources. It's probably not an easy job to do.

As for the visa in your passport. I believe you can send your passport to London for a visa label to be inserted, but you don't actually need that. I didn't bother with it. You don't need any proof of visa entitlement at the border as it is all electronic linked to your passport. You may want to have a stamp to show to other people, like employers etc, but I haven't had any situations where it's been asked for or required.

Guest Chimpy chops

VISA GRANTED!!!! Processing time... 4months and 3.5 weeks (17th Jan - 14th June)

Thank you to everyone on this forum for their helpful information. The long wait is horrible, but worth it in the end. I hope everyone receives their visa's soon... good luck!!

We have lived apart for over a year, so it's going to be so special to be finally together again!! Partner flying to Sydney 28th June.. yay!

Timeline:

17th Jan 2011 - Visa application lodged at the London office

21st Jan 2011 - CO (RF) assigned to case

27th Jan 2011 - CO requested my partners parents write up statements, pledging that our relationship is genuine and ongoing

19th Feb 2011 - My partners parents are called by our CO and were asked questions about our relationship to verify everything said in their statements.

21st Feb 2011 - Our CO requested more information supporting that our relationship is genuine eg: hotel receipts, concert tickets, just anything that we did as a couple. We were also required to both have a telephone interview.

23rd Feb 2011 - My partner and I had separate interviews over phone.

24th Feb 2011 - Extra proof was sent through to our CO, he then replied within a few hours and requested that my partner complete health and police checks.

1st March - New case officer (MW) assigned... RF was going to another section.

10th March - UK police check sent to London office.

14th March - Medical completed and Australian police check posted to office in Canberra

16th March - Email written to CO, asking how long the visa will take to process once medical and police checks have been received.

23rd March - Received a reply from CO (MW), saying that current processing time is 5-6 months and they will email us once the visa is granted. In other words... “be patient”

6th May - I sent an email to our CO (MW) asking for an update. She said she will try to grant our visa right on the 5months, which is June 17. She suggested that my partner come out to oz on a tourist visa and then do a visa run to NZ once it's granted. We decided not to go with that option and just wait.

1st June - I sent an email to our CO ( MW) asking if it's still looking more than likely that our grant will be on the 17th.

14th June - I didn't receive an email back, so I called her office. Her voicemail said she was out of the office and to call another case officer (AH). He granted our visa straight away.

Guest Tillyloola

Wow, you two really did get put through the mill for your visa, its all worked out well though and thats the main thing. Congratulations :smile:

VISA GRANTED!!!! Processing time... 4months and 3.5 weeks (17th Jan - 14th June)

Thank you to everyone on this forum for their helpful information. The long wait is horrible, but worth it in the end. I hope everyone receives their visa's soon... good luck!!

We have lived apart for over a year, so it's going to be so special to be finally together again!! Partner flying to Sydney 28th June.. yay!

Timeline:

17th Jan 2011 - Visa application lodged at the London office

21st Jan 2011 - CO (RF) assigned to case

27th Jan 2011 - CO requested my partners parents write up statements, pledging that our relationship is genuine and ongoing

19th Feb 2011 - My partners parents are called by our CO and were asked questions about our relationship to verify everything said in their statements.

21st Feb 2011 - Our CO requested more information supporting that our relationship is genuine eg: hotel receipts, concert tickets, just anything that we did as a couple. We were also required to both have a telephone interview.

23rd Feb 2011 - My partner and I had separate interviews over phone.

24th Feb 2011 - Extra proof was sent through to our CO, he then replied within a few hours and requested that my partner complete health and police checks.

1st March - New case officer (MW) assigned... RF was going to another section.

10th March - UK police check sent to London office.

14th March - Medical completed and Australian police check posted to office in Canberra

16th March - Email written to CO, asking how long the visa will take to process once medical and police checks have been received.

23rd March - Received a reply from CO (MW), saying that current processing time is 5-6 months and they will email us once the visa is granted. In other words... “be patient”

6th May - I sent an email to our CO (MW) asking for an update. She said she will try to grant our visa right on the 5months, which is June 17. She suggested that my partner come out to oz on a tourist visa and then do a visa run to NZ once it's granted. We decided not to go with that option and just wait.

1st June - I sent an email to our CO ( MW) asking if it's still looking more than likely that our grant will be on the 17th.

14th June - I didn't receive an email back, so I called her office. Her voicemail said she was out of the office and to call another case officer (AH). He granted our visa straight away.

Congratulations!!

Writing my statement - how personal do you get? I thought I'd find it really easy, but I've been working on it for days now and I just keep chaning my mind about what to say! Perhaps I am thinking about it all too much. OH and I have known for the last year and a bit that we would be applying for this Visa, but now that submission is imminent I am getting nervous! Hoping to submit on Friday, so long as we get all the necessary bits through in the post this week

Guest TaniaandRob
Writing my statement - how personal do you get? I thought I'd find it really easy, but I've been working on it for days now and I just keep chaning my mind about what to say! Perhaps I am thinking about it all too much. OH and I have known for the last year and a bit that we would be applying for this Visa, but now that submission is imminent I am getting nervous! Hoping to submit on Friday, so long as we get all the necessary bits through in the post this week

Bite the bullet - send it and send any other paperwork as it comes... Good Luck - hope it is the best thing you ever do - it was for us! :wubclub:

Guest siamsusie

Hi Shoveover,

I didnt get personal at all.. when DIAC ask how you both emotionally and physically support each other, I veered towards the emotional angle at all times.

A brief essay is all that is required, I think mine was an A4, my DH was a 1/4 of an A4:wink:.. you are painting a picture of your relationship thats all.

Very best wishes and I hope your visa is granted quickly.

Susie x

Guest LeeJay

Okay guys here's the timescales for my Prospective Marriage Visa

20th January 2011 - Application Lodged

31st January 2011 - CO allocated. Request for Further Information from CO (medicals & police certs)

7th March - Police certs lodged with AHC

14th March - Medicals submitted to AHC (I had to have a second medical to clarify an existing medical condition)

Then .... silence.....

Until.... 5 months later to the day, phone call from my migration agent to say that my visa had been granted - WOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!

Guest colcase

Hi everyone, 1st time posting.

Applied for offshore spouse visa for my husband, received and money taken 03.06.11. Medicals undertaken on 02.06.11. Police checks- Irish and Australian sent with original documentation.

request for more information (specifically 06.09 -06.10) requested on 06.06.11 I sent these on 11.06.11 and rcd an email on the 16.06.2011 saying CO will look through the paperwork to see if there is anything else he requires. CO is now out of office till 30.06.2011.

I can not wait to go home - it has been 14 years!!!!

Guest LeeJay
Congratulations LeeJay!!! I bet your buzzing! :o) what was the initials of your CO?

Ummm mine was DP

I have the email letter he sent to my Migration Agent (which in case anyone is wondering is Go Matilda), and have read it about a dozen times to make sure it's real !!

Guest Tillyloola
Hi everyone, 1st time posting.

Applied for offshore spouse visa for my husband, received and money taken 03.06.11. Medicals undertaken on 02.06.11. Police checks- Irish and Australian sent with original documentation.

request for more information (specifically 06.09 -06.10) requested on 06.06.11 I sent these on 11.06.11 and rcd an email on the 16.06.2011 saying CO will look through the paperwork to see if there is anything else he requires. CO is now out of office till 30.06.2011.

I can not wait to go home - it has been 14 years!!!!

I know how frustrating that it is, but the stage that your application is at, its not going to matter one little bit if your CO is off for a week or not. Without wanting to sound harsh, its at the back of the queue and it most probably wont be looked at again for another three to four months.

If there is anything that he requires then he will simply ask for it when he gets back, its not going to hold up your application in anyway.

Now if your visa was due to be granted and your CO was off on their jollys (as has happened more times that I care to remember in the past couple of months), that would be spectacularly crap.

Guest Tillyloola
Ummm mine was DP

I have the email letter he sent to my Migration Agent (which in case anyone is wondering is Go Matilda), and have read it about a dozen times to make sure it's real !!

Awww buggering bum nuts, he's ours as well. If he's only just granting visas lodged back in mid January, he may well have a little bit of a backlog.

I feel like I may be waving good by to my July grant.

Congrats on your grant though :biggrin: