SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Guest mjandmum
Good luck with the job chat. Let us know how you go! Thanks for letting me know about the time frame for the descent and certificate. We will apply later this week, when my hubby arrives from Oz. I asked my CO about applying for a 6mth tourist visa, and he seems to think it's ok to do that, but I ahve to admit, I'm either really thick, or his emails are answered very ambiguously, so feel like I'm not really getting a straight answer!!

:confused:

Hey Jomac

All answers from Immigration are ambiguous in my experience. Its almost a case of if you dont ask a specific question that they can answer yes or no to, then they try to be as vague as possible. I was also once wrongly informed when I called to ask a question about whether I could appeal my 'no further stay clause' so when I did based on their advice I was actually denied. My suggestion would be to always err on the side of caution. As tourist visas are handled by a different department they really dont know the ins and outs of them. I had to jump through quite a few hoops to get my initial tourist visa (12 months) so if you can get away with going for 3 months and doing it online, I would. If you want me to post what they said about going to live with my partner on my tourist visa just let me know.

Hey Jomac

All answers from Immigration are ambiguous in my experience. Its almost a case of if you dont ask a specific question that they can answer yes or no to, then they try to be as vague as possible. I was also once wrongly informed when I called to ask a question about whether I could appeal my 'no further stay clause' so when I did based on their advice I was actually denied. My suggestion would be to always err on the side of caution. As tourist visas are handled by a different department they really dont know the ins and outs of them. I had to jump through quite a few hoops to get my initial tourist visa (12 months) so if you can get away with going for 3 months and doing it online, I would. If you want me to post what they said about going to live with my partner on my tourist visa just let me know.

Hi Mjandmum

Thanks for that, yes it would be helpful to know what they said to you about living with your partner on a tourist visa. I am only worried that I may initially get in to Oz fine, then have to leave after the 3 months, then be refused entry back to Oz when I try again for the next 3 months. That would be a disaster as we are taking a gamble it will work and starting our daughter in school there too. If I get refused entry again and have to return to UK, we will have no school place for her! It's a big worry... Hubby is too optimistic! You can PM me if you wish.

Thanks

Jo

Guest mjandmum
Hi Mjandmum

Thanks for that, yes it would be helpful to know what they said to you about living with your partner on a tourist visa. I am only worried that I may initially get in to Oz fine, then have to leave after the 3 months, then be refused entry back to Oz when I try again for the next 3 months. That would be a disaster as we are taking a gamble it will work and starting our daughter in school there too. If I get refused entry again and have to return to UK, we will have no school place for her! It's a big worry... Hubby is too optimistic! You can PM me if you wish.

Thanks

Jo

Hi Jomac

Here is the initial response I got to my application for a 12 month visitor visa to stay with my partner and see if I liked it over there. We also wanted it so that we might build up the time so we had 12 consecutive months of living together. Anyway this is what they said...

The Tourist Visa (subclass 676) is intended for people travelling to

Australia for tourism or other recreational activities (holiday,

sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, to visit relatives or friends,

or other short-term non-work purposes including study). This may also

include spending time with their partner with the possibility of

investigating future visa options, however the applicant must have an

intention at the time of lodgment and finalisation of their Tourist visa,

to depart Australia at the end of their "visit". The Tourist Visa does not

exist to facilitate the entry of an applicant into Australia with an

intention to lodge a permanent visa application Onshore.

....Tourist visas are not granted to those persons whose true intentions, at the time of applying for a Tourist visa, are:

- to remain in Australia illegally;

- to make refugee claims onshore;

- to apply for migration or long term temporary residence onshore;

- to use one or more Tourist visas to maintain ongoing residence in

Australia;

- to work illegally in Australia; or

- to not abide by the conditions of a Tourist visa.

Obviously you have already made your application offshore so it is slightly different but I would still be conscious of the "to use one or more Tourist visas to maintain ongoing residence in Australia" comment they make.

I really dont want to put you off as I am obviously not an authority on this subject but I just wanted to share my own experience. Hope it helps.

Good luck

mjandmum

Guest Sam C

Hello all!

Atty, hang in there for the C/O they will be with you soon I’m sure! I think it’s natural for everyone to feel uncertain some times, how long have you been in the UK?

Jomac, it will be interesting to see how we all go in the coming weeks, how are you feeling about it all?

TracyC, sound’s good that you’ve got some areas thought out. We are heading initially to Eastwood (where my GF’s mum lives) then hopefully off to somewhere around inner west.

Hey Amanda 74! We were assigned a C/O on the same day! Welcome along to the waiting crew!

I got my CO assigned yesterday!!! She asked for 2 extra bills/correspondence from 2008 so that I will be granted permanent visa straight away rather than temporary :-) Have booked medicals in Birmingham for 20th April and have already sent off for police certificate! Looking at 5-6 months processing time- so should be flying out beginning of October!! Soooo excited!!! :cute:

Good luck with the job chat. Let us know how you go! Thanks for letting me know about the time frame for the descent and certificate. We will apply later this week, when my hubby arrives from Oz. I asked my CO about applying for a 6mth tourist visa, and he seems to think it's ok to do that, but I ahve to admit, I'm either really thick, or his emails are answered very ambiguously, so feel like I'm not really getting a straight answer!!

:confused:

It's in the bag!!! OH negotiated start date etc so it looks like he'll be heading out in 4 or 5 weeks. I never slept a wink last night, trying to figure out the practicalities of the move, selling car, renting out my apartment, packing up, cancelling dd's etc.

My parents are delighted that I'll be joining them in Scotland for a month or so. I'm a bit aprehensive about spending the rest of my life with my in-laws being less than a plane ride away. There are reasons why my OH has spent the past 6 years in Ireland!!

I've got my medical on Monday so I'll e-mail my CO after that and see if he can give me a more precise timeframe so I can apply for a tourist visa.

So much to think about.....................and plenty of sleepless nights ahead.:SLEEP:

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering for those of you that have already had your visa's granted (congrats!), is it just an electronic visa? or did you have to send your passport back into have a visa sticker inserted?

Hi nbt ,

The visa is electronical. I am going to AH, London on 3th of May to get my sticker. I do not have an appointment but i will be there at 9 am.

Guest Sam C
I got my CO assigned yesterday!!! She asked for 2 extra bills/correspondence from 2008 so that I will be granted permanent visa straight away rather than temporary :-) Have booked medicals in Birmingham for 20th April and have already sent off for police certificate! Looking at 5-6 months processing time- so should be flying out beginning of October!! Soooo excited!!! :cute:

Hi Nicola, that's great news! I've also got my medical booked for 20th April, but in London. There seems to be a fair few sharing our timeline ATM. It's exciting to have company going through this process! Maybe I'm just easily pleased by coincidences! Good luck!

Guest Savannah1
Just means your CO has scanned in everything she needs and is returning the originals to you as a courtesy..

Hi peach,

You seem to be very knowledgable about all things visa related so just wondered if in your, or any one elses experience, they would turn down a visa app without requesting any further information. I sent my app on 25th Nov, money taken 29th, CO assigned on 30th and medicals and police forms requested same date. Had my evidence posted back to me early Jan 2011 and then emails from temp CO just giving the timeline of 5/6 months whenever contacted. I am assuming now its just a waiting game as was never asked for anything else but wondered if you have heard of anyone who has been refused after all this.

Any help or experience from anyone welcome please!

Hi peach,

You seem to be very knowledgable about all things visa related so just wondered if in your, or any one elses experience, they would turn down a visa app without requesting any further information. I sent my app on 25th Nov, money taken 29th, CO assigned on 30th and medicals and police forms requested same date. Had my evidence posted back to me early Jan 2011 and then emails from temp CO just giving the timeline of 5/6 months whenever contacted. I am assuming now its just a waiting game as was never asked for anything else but wondered if you have heard of anyone who has been refused after all this.

Any help or experience from anyone welcome please!

If your CO requests your medicals and police certificate it is generally seen as a sign that you have met all the other criteria for the visa - DIAC are compassionate enough to not make you spend the extra money until it is necessary. So from what you've said I think your application is just waiting its turn to be approved.

Guest Savannah1
If your CO requests your medicals and police certificate it is generally seen as a sign that you have met all the other criteria for the visa - DIAC are compassionate enough to not make you spend the extra money until it is necessary. So from what you've said I think your application is just waiting its turn to be approved.

Thank you. I think I am in the stage of forgetting this is real as its simply waiting for something virtual but also life changing!

Hello all!

Atty, hang in there for the C/O they will be with you soon I’m sure! I think it’s natural for everyone to feel uncertain some times, how long have you been in the UK?

Hi Sam! Hi Everyone!

We got our CO today (DP) :jiggy: My OH was asked for police and medical checks and to fill in a question we must have missed, doh! I'm guessing this means they're satisfied with the relationship side of things. Has made my otherwise dreadful day brighter (got a bout of gastro last night).

Sam, I've been in the UK just over 4 and a half years.

Atty

Atty ......rotten egg no more! Congrats!

I too managed to miss out a question - it wasn't number 82 as well was it??! Checked it over and over and still missed it out.

Can anyone spread any light on why CO have returned 2 of my 4 photo's. Seems strange they ask for 4 and then don't use them all.

Also, does anyone know if permanent visa's get granted any quicker than temporary ones?

Atty ......rotten egg no more! Congrats!

I too managed to miss out a question - it wasn't number 82 as well was it??! Checked it over and over and still missed it out.

Can anyone spread any light on why CO have returned 2 of my 4 photo's. Seems strange they ask for 4 and then don't use them all.

Also, does anyone know if permanent visa's get granted any quicker than temporary ones?

Yes! Question 82! Similarly double checked everything but it's the one that got away. I guess coz he's not lived anywhere other than England we just assumed that he didn't have to answer. Oh well, we weren't the only ones :-)

Got my visa approved today!! Woohoo! It's taken 4 months and 4 days.....

Better start packing!!

Good luck people with all yours!!!

Xxx

Guest Eragwyn

Can anyone help with this - we applied for my OH's Partnership Visa on Monday, they say 5-6 months MINIMIM wait. Has anyone else heard back any quicker than this? We haven't got a CO email yet.

We have been together for 16 months and are 15 weeks pregnant...I'm not sure how the pregnancy will affect how quickly things are processed...help or any comments would be appreciated!

Guest mjandmum
Can anyone help with this - we applied for my OH's Partnership Visa on Monday, they say 5-6 months MINIMIM wait. Has anyone else heard back any quicker than this? We haven't got a CO email yet.

We have been together for 16 months and are 15 weeks pregnant...I'm not sure how the pregnancy will affect how quickly things are processed...help or any comments would be appreciated!

Hi Eragwyn

Firstly congratulations! Try not to allow the worry of this process spoil a very special time for you both. Are you and your partner separated whilst you wait for you visa? I'm sure you'll hear at the end of the week re a CO. I assume you let them know about your pregnancy? Might be worth a follow up email when you find out who is procesing you just to reiterate the fact and confirm your due dates etc.

My partner and I have a 7 month old so we're hoping they're more sympathetic to those with children who are separated from one or other parent too.

Good luck and enjoy the next 3 months - they're definitely the best time in pregnancy!:biggrin:

Guest mjandmum

Better start packing!!

Xxx

Wow congratulations - thats an amazing time scale. I pray the rest of us are that quick. What were you quoted originally? Was it the 5-6 months the rest of us have been told?

Good luck with the packing. In my experience if in doubt, throw it out!

Have a wonderful new life in Oz :biggrin:

Better start packing!!

Xxx

Hi sparklesocks,

congrats!! So jealous though! Just wondering what your time line was like? Was your application pretty straight forward? And where you given the 5-6 mts standard reply in the first email from your co?

Thanks!

And congrats again!

Guest dadoftwins

Better start packing!!

Xxx

Congratulations!!!!4 months and 4 days is a great result. Who was your CO?

Guest DaneD
Congratulations!!!!4 months and 4 days is a great result. Who was your CO?

Please be DP, please be DP, please be DP.....

Guest Sam C
Hi Sam! Hi Everyone!

We got our CO today (DP) :jiggy: My OH was asked for police and medical checks and to fill in a question we must have missed, doh! I'm guessing this means they're satisfied with the relationship side of things. Has made my otherwise dreadful day brighter (got a bout of gastro last night).

Sam, I've been in the UK just over 4 and a half years.

Atty

Congrats Atty, as if by magic! Hope you get better soon.

And congrats Sparklesocks! I've seen a few great timelines recently (around the 4 month period) - it gives us all hope!

Guest WaitingPatiently

Hi Eragwyn,

Congrats both on the baby and the visa application being submitted, both great and life changing events! Unfortunately having young children or being pregnant is unlikely to be grounds for a faster visa grant timeframe. I'm also pregnant (20weeks, yay!) and separated from my OH while his visa is being processed. While this isn't ideal it's not really ground to be bumped up the line and although we did inform the CO, it was basically ignored we we're still given the 5months timeframe. The only difference it would make is if it was your visa you wouldn't need chest x-rays while pregnant.

One positive is that some people recently are getting visas granted around the 4month mark although this seems to be more to do with the CO they are allocated rather than frontloading, simple cases or compassionate grounds (but I don't want to start that debate again and I'd LOVE to be proved wrong haha).

From my experience we just accepted it was 5 months and have been focusing on the pregnancy, our goals for the future in Aus together and we're both working hard to save money for the little one! Time does go faster focusing on the positive rather than how long the visa is taking (although there are always difficult times). Also if you guys are separated and it's getting too close to the due date (or it's too difficult being apart) you can always go down the toursit visa route while you wait but your OH won't be able to work in Aus until the partner visa is granted, that's why we are trying to hold out being separated. Skype is fantastic too! Good luck and enjoy this special time xx