regrets when you get home?

Guest Mark and Sharon

Guest fluffy1984

I wouldn't give up!! My partner and i lived in Sydney for 2 years. We have been back in the UK for a little under a year and are in the stages of lodging our application for permanent residency! The UK is home and i love it, friends, family, pubs, the footie but in the long run australia has so much more to offer. I'd defo try a different state/city before running back. You will regret it! Good luck and i hope everything works out for you :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes thats about right im casual and $20 per hour then less if perm but you will get paid hols and sick on perm but not on casual.

If you do your sums casual can ework out more beneficial you get 20% extra on csaual so effectively 1 day a week extra , as you only get 10 days sick and 20 annual leave , you get a litle bit more on casual , and more for overtime

Guest guest22466

yes yorkshire pom I was offered perm but I worked it out and I'm better off on casual at the moment and its more flexi for me too with having a child. I suppose if you need a mortgage a perm job looks better but it depends on your situation really.

I wouldn't give up!! My partner and i lived in Sydney for 2 years. We have been back in the UK for a little under a year and are in the stages of lodging our application for permanent residency! The UK is home and i love it, friends, family, pubs, the footie but in the long run australia has so much more to offer. I'd defo try a different state/city before running back. You will regret it! Good luck and i hope everything works out for you :)

Sorry but I must disagree because I don't think you can say a blanket you will regret it I have friends who have gone home and not looked back...its a very very personal journey !

Sorry but I must disagree because I don't think you can say a blanket you will regret it I have friends who have gone home and not looked back...its a very very personal journey !

I've been back a year and not regretting it yet.

Guest barab

I've been back 5 months and not regretting it one bit,and I don't miss one thing about Oz..Maybe the coffee...That's it!

Britain is best!!

Guest Mark and Sharon

I think we`ve made up our mind`s and we`re be booking flight`s up very soon,i will probably regret going back but i think i will regret not going back think we`re in a lose lose situation but at least i`ll be working in the uk.

I think we`ve made up our mind`s and we`re be booking flight`s up very soon,i will probably regret going back but i think i will regret not going back think we`re in a lose lose situation but at least i`ll be working in the uk.

good luck in your decision, im sure its not made lightly, but hey you have the visa , whats to say you may come back in a couple of years , after the recession .. never say never!

I am sure that you know but Singapore is offering really cheap airfares between now and november ! $1500 adult full fare with taxes

I've been back 5 months and not regretting it one bit,and I don't miss one thing about Oz..Maybe the coffee...That's it!

Britain is best!!

I used to say that about the coffee but something has changed this trip and I have had some very nice coffees - even Little Chef's cafetiere is really very good with cream. I can live without latte and cappucino, they still have a way to go IMHO. The chocolate more than makes up for any coffee deficit and if I lived here permanently would be taking out shares in Hotel Chocolat!

I did think of something else I missed - ah yes, wide parking spaces would be one thing and another would be the deposit facility at an atm. You have to pay in cheques in the bank here in UK.

Have had some absolutely glorious weather this past few days - not the brash, harsh sunshine of Aus but a much more mellow and friendly sunshine. Havent missed it one bit since I have been here.

Guest barab
surely you miss the sun?

i bloody would

Not really,

I never liked working in it all day everyday (I had an outside job),It became a scourge for me personally,and it was damn harsh like Quoll says.

I think you come to appreciate it more when you don't get it all year round.

Guest kerry flack

Hi,

Just thought i would let you know our best friends emigrated over there to Merimbulaa NSW 6 years ago he couldnt get work plumber, came back home after 18 months, since they have been back they have regretted it and are now filling in there visa application to go back now just could not settle back here in the Uk. They wish that they had stayed and moved to another part of Oz by a city before coming back, but as they say you live and learn!!! Good luck with whatever you decide,

We are also in the process of filling in forms and going with them this time, Hopefully!!!

Kerry

Guest theturnerclan

It's a hard one.

We came over last year and spent over a month on the Gold Coast and I have to say I wanted to go home... I was soo glad to be getting back on that plane to Manchester. OH and kids like it it was just me... can't tell you why.. it just didn't seem to fit... Long story but the OH was made redundant at christmas so he basically applied for jobs in Oz and the UK to leave it up to fate (!!) was offered a job in Melbourne so we took it and have been here for over 5 weeks..

Feels totally different this time. We all love it now to the crap part... the job has disappeared, we are both applying for jobs and neither of are getting anyway. Like another poster said about himself.. my OH has always been asked to apply for jobs... christ he's even applied for jobs that most people wouldn't want to do for money he wouldn't have worked before... what do you do... do you stick it out where you can get a job... jury's out. Don't give you crystal balls with the visa.... If you don't like the area - try somewhere else, Australia is that big somewhere has to fit... if it's lack of work... dunno still trying to figure it out... just hope it's not a £30k holiday

Guest barab

The thought of going back on a plane destined for Australia particularly Brisbane literally sends a shiver down my spine.

I actually had a dream the other night we were all on a flight bound for Brisbane,I was so glad when I woke up and was still in Glasgow,I was horrified with it!!

I'm not mental or anything!!:wacko:

The thought of going back on a plane destined for Australia particularly Brisbane literally sends a shiver down my spine.

I actually had a dream the other night we were all on a flight bound for Brisbane,I was so glad when I woke up and was still in Glasgow,I was horrified with it!!

I'm not mental or anything!!:wacko:

No Barab

I don't think your mental. I still have little heart skips about Aus and think what if.

But I too have dream's that I'm still there. I wake and realise I have done the right thing coming home.

Guest tony sutcliffe

Hey we know how hard it is to 'get it right'.....lived on one side of Brisbane last year, hated it, went back to the UK over xmas, now back the 'other' side of Brisbane & this time round feels so different! Who's to say we'll stay here in OZ, dunno? guess you just gotta go with your gut feelings coz who knows what the future holds?

Guest guest12791
hi,

We lived in adelaide from 1990 to 1997 and then came home to n.ireland was ok for a while but then started to regret it. Was in Adelaide duing last recession so my husband was in and out of work. Wished we just had the hindsight to move and try out another place. we're now coming back to Brisbane at the end of June to live this time i won't be coming home

Hello there, we stayed only four months in brisbane 2007 but have deeply regreted returning to the uk. We are saving to go back asap, would be nice to keep in touch, annemarie

Archived