regrets when you get home?

Guest Mark and Sharon

Guest Mark and Sharon

Just wondering if people who have gone home regret it,we`ve been here for 10weeks and we`re thinking of going home mainly because of the work situation ,i can`t get any and i have a job back home.Really want this to work out for us here as i`v said before it`s the right place to be just the wrong time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi we only stayed 4 weeks on gold Coast. We loved the sunshine coast especially mountain creek and mooloolaba but hubby couldnt get work.

We could of stayed longer but knew deep down that we wouldnt spend the rest of our lives there. We spent a fortune and kids were not in school so we all decided to go home.

hubby was sooo pleased when we landed at Heathrow. I was soooo sad and could of got right back on another plane to oz. on the drive back up to manchester, i thought what the hell have we done. it was cold, rainy and grey.

After a day or so of being back, we enrolled son in school, and are appealing for eldest to attend local secondary school.

We are living in a nice village and i have to say its the best thing we have done. hubby got his old job back and i am trying to get work.

By going to oz it has made us realise uk is great. there is so much to do (even in bad weather), the people are great and we belong.

We wont be going back to oz, i dont think its worth it. its not that great. imo

Jill

xxx

Guest slipshot
hi we only stayed 4 weeks on gold Coast. We loved the sunshine coast especially mountain creek and mooloolaba but hubby couldnt get work.

We could of stayed longer but knew deep down that we wouldnt spend the rest of our lives there. We spent a fortune and kids were not in school so we all decided to go home.

hubby was sooo pleased when we landed at Heathrow. I was soooo sad and could of got right back on another plane to oz. on the drive back up to manchester, i thought what the hell have we done. it was cold, rainy and grey.

After a day or so of being back, we enrolled son in school, and are appealing for eldest to attend local secondary school.

We are living in a nice village and i have to say its the best thing we have done. hubby got his old job back and i am trying to get work.

By going to oz it has made us realise uk is great. there is so much to do (even in bad weather), the people are great and we belong.

We wont be going back to oz, i dont think its worth it. its not that great. imo

Jill

xxx

Sorry to hear that and gald things are working out.

That said, a month is little more than an extended holiday. To give up after a month is not saying much and I wonder whether a different location would have helped.

I also wonder how much you spent getting the visa's, shipping both ways etc etc, and thus equate that to the amount of hands-on research that you did. Surely good research would have hlped make the decision better.

I'm not having a go as I'm sure you know this, but people do seem to think everything is perfect and then things like this happen....

Guest guest22466

I have found that you really need to live near a city as that is where most of the work is. So to live as close to the city is a good idea (if you can afford it ) and before you move check out the job vacanices. It depends what type of jobs your looking for too? From my expericence the jobs are in or around the suburbs of the city. There are so many nice places to live in Australia but with no jobs.......so its a balancing act.

Guest JoanneHattersley

What type of work are you looking for? Is moving an option? Interstate or closer to the city???

Guest Perth Princess

Don't throw in the towel now. At 10 weeks you are at the lowest point. If someone had offered me tickets back at 10 weeks I would have taken them, but thank god that didn't happen! Obviously you need to work so if that doesn't work out you may need to go back, but stick it out a bit longer if you can. In my opinion it most definitely IS worth it.

Sorry to hear that and gald things are working out.

That said, a month is little more than an extended holiday. To give up after a month is not saying much and I wonder whether a different location would have helped.

I also wonder how much you spent getting the visa's, shipping both ways etc etc, and thus equate that to the amount of hands-on research that you did. Surely good research would have hlped make the decision better.

I'm not having a go as I'm sure you know this, but people do seem to think everything is perfect and then things like this happen....

We didnt GIVE UP and we did lots of research.regaring jobs, areas and schools. You dont know anything about us to make judgements. :frown:

At christmas still in uk, hubby had 3 phone interviews for jobs and they told him jobs would be waiting when we arrived. When he went to see companies not 1 had any jobs due to the recession. He drove around all companies through looking in yellow pages, internet and just driving to industrial areas. He left around 20 cv's.

We DID try another area (Adelaide) but that was not our cup of tea.

We never expected it to be perfect and we dont dislike australia, we just feel australia isnt for us.

We are glad we have tried it and so appreciate how fantastic UK is.

I was only giving our experience and I do feel you are "having a go" Keep your digs to yourself.:realmad:

Guest Gunner

Couldnt agree more

I sometimes feel people look at pictures of nice beaches on the internet or in a glossy magazine and proclaim that will be there new home. Primarily go where the chance of work is greatest

We didnt GIVE UP and we did lots of research.regaring jobs, areas and schools. You dont know anything about us to make judgements. :frown:

At christmas still in uk, hubby had 3 phone interviews for jobs and they told him jobs would be waiting when we arrived. When he went to see companies not 1 had any jobs due to the recession. He drove around all companies through looking in yellow pages, internet and just driving to industrial areas. He left around 20 cv's.

We DID try another area (Adelaide) but that was not our cup of tea.

We never expected it to be perfect and we dont dislike australia, we just feel australia isnt for us.

We are glad we have tried it and so appreciate how fantastic UK is.

I was only giving our experience and I do feel you are "having a go" Keep your digs to yourself.:realmad:

I would have let this go, and you are perhaps a bit stressed, but seeing the quality of he answer you just gave:

1. You ARE giving up after 10 weeks

2. You came here without a contract signed and sealed?

Now rude retort to a rude retort over. You asked if you would regret the return to the UK.

1. Possibly, as the UK is not very rosy at the moment, but if you have a job lined up (you do have a job lined up, I hope) then you are sitting pretty.

2. Possibly, as the reasons you left the UK in the first place will still be there, and you already said you would prefer to be here (right place, wrong time) and so it might be even more expensive to ping pong.

3. Possibly not, if you are happy to be back in a familiar place doing a familiar job with familiar friends.

Up to you

Guest treesea

Well, based on our experiences of moving back to the UK, I don't think it would have mattered how much research you did before you went to Australia. I am originally from London and did heaps of research before we came back, just to reassure myself there would be jobs and close to where I was brought up (Hayes, west London). And there were plenty of jobs when we came back - the recession wasn't on in 2004 - , within reasonable commuting distance from Middlesex, (in Slough, Bracknell, Basingstoke and environs). I even applied for places at my previous primary school for my children. What I hadn't counted on was the effect of living away from the sea. How do you plan for something you have lived with for so long you take it for granted?

Regrets about leaving Australia after being there for so long (16 years, two separate stints)? Not really. Well, I miss my friends and family still over there, though they have visited every now and then. But that's pretty much it for the more important things.

Guest janeubu
we`re on the sunshine coast about 15mins from mooloolaba.

hi ya what are your trades?i,m a hairdresser and oh is a carpenter,we are looking on moving to buderin on a 176 visa.This is worrying reading work situation as would have to stay qsl for 2 years.cheers jane:smile:

Guest tayella

I think thorpe's was right

I wish i had listend to my heart nothing wrong with oz but when i touched down in oz it didn't feel right but i thought i should really give it a go when we leave it will have been a year i wish i had gone back at the beginning saving money

so i think it doesn't matter if some one is only in oz 4 weeks i think every one gets a feel for something in the beginning wether they want to stay or not

nat x

Guest guest22466

Its huge moving to another country and everyone will experience it in a different way , so the best thing to do is to do what makes you and your family happy and content in life regardless of which country it may be you live in.

Guest LoveUK

We arrived in Perth on the 6th Jan 2009, had a job to go to.

Found the heat was debilitating! The cost of living was high and we got ripped off by the owner of the property we rented!

We seemed to be spending our money so fast and we were shocked by the prices

Started the job but it didn't turn out as we had expected and the wages were lower!

Afer a month of heat exhaustion, boardom and Hubby losing a stone in weight cos the food was crap ,with our wallets a lot lighter we decided to return to England.

We were so glad to be back.

Then a week later my Dad was diagnosed with an inoperable tumour, he didn't make it and we had his funeral 2 weeks ago.

I guess that lot would all rate high on a stress metre! But in a way it was so much more stressful organising the move than returning.

At least we now know that Oz is not for us and we will make sure not to watch "Wanted Down Under" again!!

If there is anyone out there who needs any advise about migrating to Oz either to Perth or Queensland ( cos we tried there too!) just send us a pm:nah:

Guest TheArmChairDetective

If there is anyone out there who needs any advise about migrating to Oz either to Perth or Queensland ( cos we tried there too!) just send us a pm:nah:

Sorry about your dad.

Glad you stumbled across us, welcome to the site.

So have you joined PIO because your going back to Australia or just to put people off going in the first place?

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Just wondering if people who have gone home regret it,we`ve been here for 10weeks and we`re thinking of going home mainly because of the work situation ,i can`t get any and i have a job back home.Really want this to work out for us here as i`v said before it`s the right place to be just the wrong time.

Hi guys, everyone's reasons for going or returning are different so really you can't base an individual decision on the experience of another person, what they tell you is just more information to be used or discarded.

However, your question id a good one.

It is fair to say that there are loads of people who go...don't like it...come back and then realising they made a mistake go back.

My wife got into a deep conversation in Adelaide with a couple who did just that. They went out, struggled with it all and came back. They are classic pingpongpoms and now live in Adelaide, but they had a career sea change once they got back. Now it works for them.

Good luck with where life takes you, but unless that job in the UK is cast iron are you REALLY SURE that in the current climate, that job will be there?

I regrett being so unhappy and not take out all the good Australia had to offer.

Educating myself in things Aussie's do diffrent to us back hear.

But still Happy to be home in the Land of the Living

John

hind sight is a wonderful thing, i know that once i had my visa i would have regretted not coming out here even if it was 'just to see'. i have only been here 3 months myself, been looking for work for 6-8 weeks and had my first interview today!! i have never experienced this before as always got work from my reputation rather than resume.

Personally if you do what you think is right and what your heart is saying you should have no regrets, things don't always go as we think they should.

I am slowly getting quite a few contacts mainly in the construction industry, most people quiet at the minute, what are you looking for??

I hope the above dosn't sound patronising it is not meant that way. If I can be any help let me know?

Guest Mark and Sharon

I had an interview today it`s only water/electric meter reading but it`s a job and i`v got it,it`s casual for the 1st 3month`s then permanent which is all good i thought,then the fella told me the wages $20 anhour on casual then $16 when i`m permanent is this normal to be on less when permanent?i could manage on the $20 an hour and a job`s a job at the moment but $16 an hour is that a p*** take or what.

Guest guest22466

Yes thats about right im casual and $20 per hour then less if perm but you will get paid hols and sick on perm but not on casual.

Guest burnsb

hi,

We lived in adelaide from 1990 to 1997 and then came home to n.ireland was ok for a while but then started to regret it. Was in Adelaide duing last recession so my husband was in and out of work. Wished we just had the hindsight to move and try out another place. we're now coming back to Brisbane at the end of June to live this time i won't be coming home

Guest guest17301

At the end of the day you need to make your own minds up...if you land and immediately feel uncomfortable and think OMG then what the hell where you expecting?? I can't quite get my head around that one...I do however think that if you feel that bad on day 1 that is maybe an indicator of things to come?

Most people (IMO) are that excited/over-awed when they first arrive it could be Beruit and you'd still find positives..would be interesting to know if those who only give it a few weeks had serious reservations before leaving? And I don't mean the butterflies that we all get.

Archived