Top 5 reasons for leaving Australia.

Guest earlswood

Guest earlswood

For some its family, for others its not settling.

What’s yours in order.

1.Lower earnings with longer hours.

2.Lack of culture and history in Australia for me.

3. Australians, I found the ones I worked with shallow and materialistic.

4.Crime and anti-social behaviour in Australia

5.Missed the UK and my quality of life was better for me back home.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What’s yours in order.

hi earlswood,that is exactly how i see it here,and are too returning for a better quality of life,plus you missed better telly haha:jiggy:

Guest earlswood
1. Work/Life balance heavily weighted in favour of work. (well it was when there WAS work)

2. Boring, dull, sterile.- pubs, people, general

3. Red tape; I tried putting an ad in the local paper for reforms and hard landscaping and was told i needed to have a doctorate, ok slight exaggeration but you will need a license and that'll leave you a couple of grand light!

4. The chest beating aussie males with their "fit in or fkuc off" mentality.

5.Friends and family; you may eventually make aussie friends (if they are kind enough to let you into their circle) but you cannot beat real mates with which you have history. How can you get drunk and reminiss with some bloke youve hardly known?

Forgot that... the red tape over there is unreal...:goofy:

Guest lovediving

Not forgetting

More expensive than the UK

Lack of integration with other communities

The constant Aussie hype everywhere you look

The lack of consideration and acceptance of dangerous driving

The red tape for everthing you do

As a woman, the arrogance of aussie men

And shopping, buying decent clothes like Next, Monsoon, Mark & Spencers where everything is not made in China.

What’s yours in order.

1. The boring blandness of it all once you have got past the honeymoon period

2. The overwhelming bullsh*t and PC cr*p of Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!

3. The heat, flies, mozzies (not necessarily in that order)

4. Lack of history and culture relevant to me

5. Much inferior quality of life (my life's quality includes people with whom I "belong" and can relate easily to)

Not forgetting

More expensive than the UK

Lack of integration with other communities

The constant Aussie hype everywhere you look

The lack of consideration and acceptance of dangerous driving

The red tape for everthing you do

As a woman, the arrogance of aussie men

And shopping, buying decent clothes like Next, Monsoon, Mark & Spencers where everything is not made in China.

just looked at 2 Next, 1 M&S and a kids Monsoon item and they were made in Sri Lanka, Turkey, Vietnam and China. Nothing is made in the UK anymore.

Guest Perth Princess

I'm not leaving Australia as we've only been here for 4 months and are planning to give it 2 years. However, I do sometimes think I would like to go back for these reasons

1 I miss my friends and family so much more than I expected I would.

2 I hate the traffic systems in Perth. Why no round-abouts? Way too many traffic lights.

3 cockroaches and spiders

4 no personal connection to the country i.e. no sense of belonging

5 schools better in the UK

What’s yours in order.

Hi Earlswood

Been here 6 months and realised a lot in the time we been here, these are my own personal views:

1. Similar earnings but with 50% more hrs

2. Very much a "them & us" culture at work

3. Education - my kids are covering work they did 3 years ago !!!

4. Living costs - silly prices for somethings (phone, broadband and pay tv(don't bother))

5. Realisation that my life was pretty good in the UK after all

Not sure whether we will be heading back just yet, but I doubt we will stay in Aus, and I have stated 5 good reasons to do so.

Do I regret coming here ? Hell no. It s an experience, and I won't be thinking "if only"

Ste

Guest 0405delboy
Hi Earlswood

Been here 6 months and realised a lot in the time we been here, these are my own personal views:

4. Living costs - silly prices for somethings (phone, broadband and pay tv(don't bother))

Not sure whether we will be heading back just yet, but I doubt we will stay in Aus, and I have stated 5 good reasons to do so.

Do I regret coming here ? Hell no. It s an experience, and I won't be thinking "if only"

Ste

If I could leave tomorrow it would be because:

1) I miss a real good laugh and banter with long time friends and like-minded people.

2) I miss intelligent discussion with impartial people on every topic under the sun/grey sky. (Not suggesting for a moment that Im intelligent - perish the thought)

3) A sense of belonging.

4) The hustle and bustle of a big city and having the brain switched to 'engage' again.

5) A renewed enthusiasm for UK and Europe.

But alas, Ill be here for a while yet much to the displeasure of the Aussies!!! :biggrin: :biglaugh:

0405delboy

Guest lovediving

I have just been out in my car and my experience today was

Some ******* dented my car door by ignorantly opening it onto it and not giving a ****

Rude abusive drivers all with no respect for anyone but thereselves

A motorcycle accident on the way and the look of the motorcyle and the car do not think the driver is alive and this is in a 50km zone

Finally I go to get some water from a petrol station and someone nearly runs me over while I walk in and then puts his finger up at me.

You know what I can go tomorrow, what the hell am I still doing here. I seriously cannot make this place work no matter how hard I try I can never accept the people's attitude.

Guest lovediving

Really, well then the standards must be stricter, I dont recall any of my clothes from England falling apart after one wash. Even buying designer labels in David Jones is a pile of ****.

just looked at 2 Next, 1 M&S and a kids Monsoon item and they were made in Sri Lanka, Turkey, Vietnam and China. Nothing is made in the UK anymore.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Right, There was no need for any insulting posts to start. Please do not continue in this manner! This is Earlswoods thread and he asked a question. Lets respect that please.

Guest guest17301

Hi Earls, in the spirit of a balanced view I have to disagree with the longer hours/less pay.

I just picked up my first wages and am being paid around 20% more than I was in the UK for a similar role. Hours are the same.....no unpaid overtime expected but if you do get off late get the time back, get to leave early if quiet, called in late on a weekend late shift (nursing perk!) Finding my days off/time at home to be of a better quality than in England..if I can stay awake long enough to go anywhere (this working full time is killing me.)

Unfriendly Aussies?? I got given an Aussie colleaugues home/mobile numbers within a day or 2 of meeting her and told to call anytime for anything.....think it depends on the individuals and not the nationality.

However...I have found my colleaugues to be 'different' to my British ones..can't put my finger on what the difference is , not bad, just different. Also missing being able to talk in my local dialect/use british slang etc...conversation just doesn't flow the same!

Also no-one says 'Bye' it's always see ya! or worse..catch ya.

Wow just five lol !!!

Im not going back JUST YET as have kids here so at least another 6 year sentence for me :

1. Depth

2. Culture

3. History/sence of belonging and I have been here 22 years

4. Pubs ( where I can take my family and not have "****" as every second word

5. variety of food

:arghh:

Guest Swing low sweet chariot

Interesting thoughts and views.

I agree with many of them and we too will be heading back to the UK when my contract is up. We miss our family & close friends more than we imagined. Simple things like old buildings, English country/town/city pubs. I feel totally detached and have zero sense of belonging to Australia. I'm not knocking the country or the people, it's just the way we feel. The thought of never being able to visit Twickenham again to watch an Army V Navy game is unbearable. I long to smell autumn, see an English spring, jump on a cheap flight to the Mediterranean. It's just the buzz of England, the great shops, so what if the weather isn't reliable. The excitement of the six nations rugby, watching it in the local pubs. I even miss the premiership football, decent fish & chips, cornish pasties ahh! We've realised that we've made a mistake, we are treating it as an adventure and not a lifetime commitment.

Right, There was no need for any insulting posts to start. Please do not continue in this manner! This is Earlswoods thread and he asked a question. Lets respect that please.

Um, exactly which post was insulting?

Guest sparkyinoz

To all the above WHAT DID YOU THINK IT WAS GOING TO BE LIKE...........................

1 all roses

2 loads more money and less hours

3 open arms WOW u just moved from the UK thats GREAT

4 No bugs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 The same as ...................................................................................................

1 work at it u get what u put into life

2 Yeah more hours prove yourself to fellow workers the reap the rewards once you are proven better

3 You have life long friends in the UK not here why should people open there doors to you friends come with respect EARN some first..............

4 Everyone new OZ is full of bugs u have a problem with them Stupid u for coming

5 MMMMMMMMMMMM otherside of the world............................

I understand different views of people yeah for sure it aint easy but WHY DID U COME IN THE 1st PLACE if you are not going to give it A GO....................... OZ is so big try somewhere else if you dont fit in at first , money is alsways an issue and yeah times are a bit hard at the mo

To all the above WHAT DID YOU THINK IT WAS GOING TO BE LIKE...........................

1 all roses

5 The same as ...................................................................................................

2 Yeah more hours prove yourself to fellow workers the reap the rewards once you are proven better

3 You have life long friends in the UK not here why should people open there doors to you friends come with respect EARN some first..............

4 Everyone new OZ is full of bugs u have a problem with them Stupid u for coming

I understand different views of people yeah for sure it aint easy but WHY DID U COME IN THE 1st PLACE if you are not going to give it A GO....................... OZ is so big try somewhere else if you dont fit in at first , money is alsways an issue and yeah times are a bit hard at the mo

I came here when I was 18 am now 40....as soon as my kids are old enough I shall be leaving.....I have given it time and most people do give it a go. Its the myths that people perpetuate about aus " lucky country syndrome" that a lot of brits find amusing even when the fact that it just is not like that is staring them in the face.....

Guest 0405delboy

1 all roses

Simplistic ********!!!! Either youre cashed up to the eyeballs with plenty of options or youre an Aussie or have you gone troppo???

Guest earlswood

Can you please read the title of the thread,

Guest earlswood
Hi Earlswood

Ste

This is what so many folk realise when they leave these shores......the grass is......

Guest treesea

Reasons I came back:

1) A different sense of connectedness to the land. The excitement of flying into Sydney (though not so much Melbourne) and going into the outback never wavered all the years we lived in Australia, but this is different, a connection to the island of Britain that feels like it stretches back thousands of years.

2) The weather. I think of Brits as children of the frost and native born Australians as children of the sun. High white skies, a silver sea, the haar, breathing white air, - I missed them all. And yes, I missed the snow, because when we left it regularly snowed in London. Well, lol, I still miss it, because it hardly ever snows in Edinburgh.

3) The insects. Have you ever been chased down the street by a fly? A fly that was persistent, intent on your face, your mouth, and wouldn't take "get lost " for an answer? Or heard a scrabbling, turned on a light, and been confronted with giant cockroaches? In the middle of the night? Its lovely here, just the faint hum of my computer, no mozzies, no flys, not a bug in sight. The same outside. I suspect insects here live in the countryside, not the cities.

4) Some foods. Silly things, like D&B, or Tizer. This will probably sound daft, but smarties taste different here.

5) Places - like Knaresborough, now only a quick couple of hours away down the A1. Being able to go and see the Angel of The North. Cornwall, definitely NOT a quick spin down any motorway, but worth the trek all the same. Not London though,more's the pity. Spent too long living in Australia's version of light pollution to appreciate the heavy eye stinging version that Bayswater and Paddington favour.

6) Well, I couldn't have missed this, because I didn't know it existed, but now couldn't live without my....unlimited movie card from Cineworld. Movies for £1 - £2 a pop. Wonderful.

Guest Perth Princess

1 all roses

It is helpful for some of us to get these things off our chest by having a bit of a moan on this site. It does not mean that we are not giving it a go. I mentioned bugs, and yes of course I knew there would be bugs before I came but it doasn't stop them annoying me. It doesn't mean that I shouldn't have come to Australia, and it doesn't mean that I won't work really hard at making this work for me and my family. We are just expressing opinions.

Archived