Top 5 reasons for leaving Australia.

Guest earlswood

Guest Murra

I have been here for 11 years. I think Australia is a lovely country, with stunning scenery and true wilderness - a beautiful land. However, I miss 'my' country and have felt 'unsettled' for many of the years I have been here, despite all the great things about the place. I miss many things about the UK, but it's not just a simple case of 'missing' things. It's about where your heart is, no matter what the weather, crime rate etc is doing over there. Its about your land. Some people feel as if they belong when they live in another country, others never seem to, however hard they try to fit in and embrace it. I happen to be one of these. There are many reasons for wanting to leave, but that does not mean that I don't like Australia. If I do return to the UK, part of me will always love Australia and think of it as another 'home'.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lorna & Clint

well we are looking to get back, here are our 5.

1/ wife had her salary cut in half 2 days bfore she started (because of credit crunch yah right)

2/ My job didnt work out so now just existing (beans on toast every night can get boring)

3/ life may be same in the uk but at least we will have friends and family

4/spent over a month looking for work to no avail

5/ Made a few friends but always feel on the "outside"

Guest treesea

why I might want to go back

2. Sorry the driving is sooooooo bad amongst the terrible few- I think it might just be the unpredictability as driving into London or even Leeds with all the tail gating has been equally terrifying but at least I know what to expect!

As you have said it is not a personal thing just an obversation! However, I can honestly say I have been lucky enough to vist many, many countries and I have NEVER come across such bad drivers (on the whole) as I have in Australia. I honestly don't know how so many are allowed to drive?:confused:

They are shocking aren't they. I instictively cover the break now when approaching a junction - never ever did that in the UK. Its the white UTE drivers that are the worst!

Yes, what is it with the tail gating in Britain? I used to enjoy driving in Australia. Plenty of room in front and behind, not many doing any tailgating. Sure, some of the people had obviously won their licences in a lottery, or perhaps had grown up learning to drive on the right instead of the left, and nobody deserves to have that peculiar, dangerous driving rule called the hooked turn inflicted upon them. But at least the men in Australia were relatively well trained, - to speed up if a woman was behind them and to back off if there was one in front.

Back in the UK, some streets so narrow they seem designed for a horse and cart rather than four wheeled vehicles, I keep my foot close to the brake even along the straight on roads, because every now and again someone in front who is feeling like being kind to people in side streets will suddenly slam on their brakes.

And then there are the roundabouts. Sure, it's nice to have no lights to impede the flow, but do Brits who have lived here all their lives realise that the half of the world who live here but don't actually come from here (well, a slight exaggeration, but it sometimes feels like that on the roads) don't really know how to get around a roundabout safely.... I hold my breath and hope for the best every time I come to one.

As for all the manual cars. I now stay half a car length behind anyone on a hill, because I have realised that those who didn't grow up here haven't driven a manual car in years, and wouldn't pass a driving test the way they roll back on their hill starts. At least in Australia most people (no proof of this, lol, but manual Commodores cost more and are a lot rarer than automatics) drive automatics so hill starts aren't an issue.

Guest 0405delboy
Yes, what is it with the tail gating in Britain? I used to enjoy driving in Australia. Plenty of room in front and behind, not many doing any tailgating. Sure, some of the people had obviously won their licences in a lottery, or perhaps had grown up learning to drive on the right instead of the left, and nobody deserves to have that peculiar, dangerous driving rule called the hooked turn inflicted upon them. But at least the men in Australia were relatively well trained, - to speed up if a woman was behind them and to back off if there was one in front.

Back in the UK, some streets so narrow they seem designed for a horse and cart rather than four wheeled vehicles, I keep my foot close to the brake even along the straight on roads, because every now and again someone in front who is feeling like being kind to people in side streets will suddenly slam on their brakes.

And then there are the roundabouts. Sure, it's nice to have no lights to impede the flow, but do Brits who have lived here all their lives realise that the half of the world who live here but don't actually come from here (well, a slight exaggeration, but it sometimes feels like that on the roads) don't really know how to get around a roundabout safely.... I hold my breath and hope for the best every time I come to one.

As for all the manual cars. I now stay half a car length behind anyone on a hill, because I have realised that those who didn't grow up here haven't driven a manual car in years, and wouldn't pass a driving test the way they roll back on their hill starts. At least in Australia most people (no proof of this, lol, but manual Commodores cost more and are a lot rarer than automatics) drive automatics so hill starts aren't an issue.

I enjoy driving over here. In my opinion the worst drivers are old men! They weave all over the road, drive 15 ks too slow, pull out in front of you, and if they indicate at all, its 10 minutes after theyve made the manouevre.

P-platers are shocking, which is why every second stobie pole in Adelaide is a place of mourning, covered in flowers and photos.

What really annoys me is when a car wants to turn right into a supermarket car park and it blocks the traffic, they should have to go up and do a u-turn and drive back to the car park. :realmad:

Been here seven years, but me and the wife will be going to UK to live in four years time. (F0r 4-5 years approx)

Reasons?

a) My wife (an Aussie) wants to live in a foreign country for some time.

b) Use the UK as a base for us to explore as much of Europe as we can.

c) Give her the chance to experience why I love Dartmoor, and Lands End Cornwall, and to live there rather than just visit for a holiday.

d) For her to spend time with, and develop a relationship with, my friends and family (again more than just can be exerienced on holiday)

e) It'll be easier to sell up my cottage there if we are living there, so we can retire back to Aus!

Guest itskaren
well we are looking to get back, here are our 5.

1/ wife had her salary cut in half 2 days bfore she started (because of credit crunch yah right)

2/ My job didnt work out so now just existing (beans on toast every night can get boring)

3/ life may be same in the uk but at least we will have friends and family

4/spent over a month looking for work to no avail

5/ Made a few friends but always feel on the "outside"

Hi

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you?

Karen:smile:

Guest earlswood
Been here seven years, but me and the wife will be going to UK to live in four years time. (F0r 4-5 years approx)

Reasons?

a) My wife (an Aussie) wants to live in a foreign country for some time.

b) Use the UK as a base for us to explore as much of Europe as we can.

c) Give her the chance to experience why I love Dartmoor, and Lands End Cornwall, and to live there rather than just visit for a holiday.

d) For her to spend time with, and develop a relationship with, my friends and family (again more than just can be exerienced on holiday)

e) It'll be easier to sell up my cottage there if we are living there, so we can retire back to Aus!

That is one of the main reasons I love living in the UK.:yes:

Guest Guruju
That is one of the main reasons I love living in the UK.:yes:

One of the main reasons that I love living in Australia is that you live in the UK. :SLEEP:

Guest itskaren
One of the main reasons that I love living in Australia is that you live in the UK. :SLEEP:

That's a bit harsh!:skeptical:

Guest Guruju

Hi Karen

Normally I would say that is harsh but not on this occasion.

I have only been posting on PIO for a very short time and the issue is for me that anyone, like Earlswood, who continually just trolls and baits people without actually contributing anything useful is abusing the privilege of being on the forum.

It not only wastes precious time (for those that have to read it and those that have to mod it) but it can also detract from other posts that are genuinely seeking help; struggling with something and those that try and help.

It doesn't help either when anyone who does not live here or has not lived here very recently posts misinformation (may not be deliberate just out of date in some cases) which other people, in one of the biggest decisions of their lives, then uses to either decide to move or not move to Aus or the UK.

Earlswood has been reprimanded by the site's moderators and by other users but continues to bore us with his inane, diversive questions (many are the same question, remodelled and reposted) instead of actually posting useful information.

Cheers

Julia

Guest itskaren
Hi Karen

I have only been posting on PIO for a very short time and the issue is for me that anyone, like Earlswood, who continually just trolls and baits people without actually contributing anything useful is abusing the privilege of being on the forum.

It not only wastes precious time (for those that have to read it and those that have to mod it) but it can also detract from other posts that are genuinely seeking help; struggling with something and those that try and help.

It doesn't help either when anyone who does not live here or has not lived here very recently posts misinformation (may not be deliberate just out of date in some cases) which other people, in one of the biggest decisions of their lives, then uses to either decide to move or not move to Aus or the UK.

Earlswood has been reprimanded by the site's moderators and by other users but continues to bore us with his inane, diversive questions (many are the same question, remodelled and reposted) instead of actually posting useful information.

Cheers

Julia

I understand what you are saying!:yes:

Kind regards

Hi Karen

Cheers

Julia

Sounds to me as if there's a organised agenda to rid the forum of Earlswood.

And the agenda sounds really desperate !

Can't UK people make up their own minds about whether or not to move to Oz ?

They're so relient upon other people's point of view, are they ?

They don't want to take responsibility for their own actions ?

And they need to blame Earlswood for not telling them what they want to hear ?

WHY does Guruju's whine above sound like a POLITICAL announcement ?

A PAID political announcement --- ' spoken and authorised by the Australian Government, Canberra ' ?

Consider this ....

The Oz government is STILL advertising the alleged million or so jobs 'just waiting' for UK migrants.

Okey doke. * IF * the Australian government is SO SURE that UK migrants will find employment in Oz and 'enjoy a better lifestyle' --- why don't they back their claims with some form of gaurantee ? I mean, retailers do that all the time ... ' if you're not entirely satisfied with our products and send them back within 30 days, we'll give you a full refund '.

So why doesn't the Oz government do the same ?

... if the Oz government is * SO * confident in its product --- the same product it's been flogging over in the UK for decades.

Why not ?

Why, for instance, doesn't the Oz government have a 'fly home for free within 3 years of emigrating to Australia if you're not happy with our product ' offer ?

If Australia is as good as the Oz government says --- then there wouldn't be very many applying to return to UK ... would there ? So it would cost the Oz government next to nothing, in which case ... what would the Oz government have to lose by making such an offer ? And why wouldn't the Oz government be as prepared to back its product as it insists other retailers do ? For as you know, the consumer-protection laws in Australia entitle the consumer to a refund or replacement if they buy a product which fails to match the manufacturer's and retailer's claims. You can get a refund on a toaster --- but the Oz government isn't prepared to offer you a refund on your life ?

So no more orchestrated attacks on Earlswood, thank you.

It's clear what's going on here.

It's clear the Oz government is terrified of the few home-truths Earlswood imparts.

Do you really feel confident trusting the sales-pitch of a government which can't even stand up to the opinions of ONE poster ?

Do you really want to trust a government which uses underhanded tactics to SILENCE one poster's opinions ?

Guest earlswood
Hi Karen

Cheers

Julia

Read the forum (going back to the UK) then read the thread...if you do not like what people post or talk about in the "going back to the UK forum" I suggest you just steer clear of it....ok..:idea:

Guest earlswood
Sounds to me as if there's a organised agenda to rid the forum of Earlswood.

And the agenda sounds really desperate !

Can't UK people make up their own minds about whether or not to move to Oz ?

They're so relient upon other people's point of view, are they ?

They don't want to take responsibility for their own actions ?

And they need to blame Earlswood for not telling them what they want to hear ?

WHY does Guruju's whine above sound like a POLITICAL announcement ?

A PAID political announcement --- ' spoken and authorised by the Australian Government, Canberra ' ?

Consider this ....

The Oz government is STILL advertising the alleged million or so jobs 'just waiting' for UK migrants.

Okey doke. * IF * the Australian government is SO SURE that UK migrants will find employment in Oz and 'enjoy a better lifestyle' --- why don't they back their claims with some form of gaurantee ? I mean, retailers do that all the time ... ' if you're not entirely satisfied with our products and send them back within 30 days, we'll give you a full refund '.

So why doesn't the Oz government do the same ?

... if the Oz government is * SO * confident in its product --- the same product it's been flogging over in the UK for decades.

Why not ?

Why, for instance, doesn't the Oz government have a 'fly home for free within 3 years of emigrating to Australia if you're not happy with our product ' offer ?

If Australia is as good as the Oz government says --- then there wouldn't be very many applying to return to UK ... would there ? So it would cost the Oz government next to nothing, in which case ... what would the Oz government have to lose by making such an offer ? And why wouldn't the Oz government be as prepared to back its product as it insists other retailers do ? For as you know, the consumer-protection laws in Australia entitle the consumer to a refund or replacement if they buy a product which fails to match the manufacturer's and retailer's claims. You can get a refund on a toaster --- but the Oz government isn't prepared to offer you a refund on your life ?

So no more orchestrated attacks on Earlswood, thank you.

It's clear the Oz government is terrified of the few home-truths Earlswood imparts.

Do you really feel confident trusting the sales-pitch of a government which can't even stand up to the opinions of ONE poster ?

Do you really want to trust a government which uses underhanded tactics to SILENCE one poster's opinions ?

ARM CHAIR DETECTIVE gave me a 24 hour ban yesterday and I challenge anyone to read through the posts I made and the posts he made and make up your own minds.

Guest TheArmChairDetective

Eh?

This site is so influential that it's monitored by a government?

here's one

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABTYH5RIjWU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABTYH5RIjWU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

:wubclub:

hahahah WTF's that got to do with your paranoid conspiracy theory hahahahah

ARM CHAIR DETECTIVE gave me a 24 hour ban yesterday and I challenge anyone to read through the posts I made and the posts he made and make up your own minds.

I wondered where you were yesterday I missed you!:wubclub::wink:

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Its defiantly plausible. When my thread was locked I couldn't believe it.

Stinks of conspiracy, possibly Illuminati

Back on track please Aldo.

Wow ... astonishing how much interest there's suddenly been in this thread, huh ?

And gee ... didn't take long before the 'derail --- divert --- distract ' posts sprang into life to bury my post and keep it out of the public's eye, did it ?

But no-one has seen fit to comment on the 'Oz Government Refund ' suggestion, I notice .......

Archived