NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi again Hayley,

We're starting off in Rockingham, but as a district nurse, it'll depend where I can get a post, IF I can get my registration! Otherwise I'll look at a change in career, although what I'll do after 23 years nursing, I really don't know! Let's stay positive.

Best wishes

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

We stayed in Rockingham when we went over to activate, but think we are going to move north, but I'm happy to go where the work is, whether I'm a nurse or a florist/hairdresser/etc haha. Let me know how you get on : )

And yet no state in America accept the UK nursing qualification if streamed as good enough for RN status.

Australia no longer looks at the UK for anything, they decided nurses need to be generalists. They also decided, after the NMC told Australian nurses that their degree was not good enough that the UK diploma is not good enough for Australia. Look in your own backyard.

I did not see anywhere where Australian nurses posted UK diploma was shite and so were their Nurses. Perhaps the Australian degree teaches a bit of critical thinking skills and cultural sensitivity thats missing in the UK diploma.

Hi Tracey,

We stayed in Rockingham when we went over to activate, but think we are going to move north, but I'm happy to go where the work is, whether I'm a nurse or a florist/hairdresser/etc haha. Let me know how you get on : )

I'm thinking of kennel maid! As I absolutely love dogs! How sad that we get our visa on the basis we're nurses, but then can move and do what we like,

Silly in't it!

Edited by geordiegirl68
mistaje

Fingers crossed someone Degree or Dip He will awake to some good new from AHPRA in the morning, because the not knowing is terrible. Someone please put us out of our misery.

I think we may have a better chance of seeing flying pigs, but need to stay positive!

Goodnight & Good luck everyone

How rude! Perhaps a few pommy nurses with diplomas with attitudes towards Australian nurses with ttelling them their Bachelor of Nursing was less than the UK Dip HE and they were shite at nursing started this all off in the first place like this. Dam colonists.

Makes me ashamed.

It was a tad out of order what was said but I feel it was just frustration. Ceridwyn you seem to troll the nursing section of sites chipping away with bitterness towards the nmc. Poms on here would be less critical of ahpra if they were up front. They are quick to take our dosh and even quicker to nudge them goal posts further out of reach. Cheers ned

I feel with you all!

I submitted my application in Oct 2013 and I am still currently waiting. I cannot believe people who applied long before the new guidelines can be affected by them. AHPRA is doing my head I tell you.

Unlike many of you I have spent around $3000 already trying to get my nursing registration over here. I completed my nursing degree in Norway, which means I've had extra costs related to english tests and translating documents. Even though my UNI provides my diploma in English, that wasn't good enough for AHPRA who required the original Norwegian Diploma to be translated from one for THEIR recognised translators. With the subject outlines that came to about $1300. It was ridiculous.

When I compare getting my registration with the NMC to AHPRA, the NMC is by far the winner here. It took me 2 months as an overseas nurse to get my registration with them and they did accept the english version of my UNI diploma without question. So I didn't have to spend any money on translation. It was so quick and easy when I think about it.

Can't understand what AHPRA possiblly would need next time they get in contact with me. Maybe they want to know what the questions were at my final exam and what time I left the building. :P

I'm a Swedish nurse who have been reading this forum for quite a while hoping for some good news about the registration with AHPRA.

I put my application thru in one the beginning of October last year and before Christmas they came back to me and asked for more documentation. I mailed everything to them in the beginning of January. In the end beginning of March I got an email stating that the law for international nurses had changed and that they would come back to me shortly with more information. In April, the letter with requests for the new criteria came and in the middle of May I finally got a letter that all information that they needed at this point had arrived. No timeframe could be given...

With just a few more days until 8 months since I applied I am feeling like walking in chewing-gum or something... Nothing happens!

I'm already in Sydney thou because my family moved her and we are permanent residents. Just want to start working as a nurse again!

I'm in exactly the same boat. Norwegian nurse though hanging around in Sydney forever waiting for my registration when I should be working. Applied in Oct 2013. It sucks:(

I'm in exactly the same boat. Norwegian nurse though hanging around in Sydney forever waiting for my registration when I should be working. Applied in Oct 2013. It sucks:(

I am in the same boat. Applied 1st October and living in Melbourne with a PR. The waiting sucks. It makes you feel that all that you studied for can be threw out of the window. Shame

I hope you all get some news soon, even at this point I think the majority of people would even prefer some negative news than no news at all. It just seems ridiculous now that they can carry this malarkey on, changing the goal posts each week.

Ceridwyn, as I have said before this is a UK based site 'Poms in Oz' that supports mainly UK based nurses in getting to Australia. This is a thread for us to support each other in our journey in getting our UK nursing qualifications recognised with AHPRA, this is not about the injustice of NMC not recognising your qualifications. All your posts come across as harsh and negative and I feel that they are against the aim of this forum. We have no news as of yet, it may be bad news, it may not be. You quote statements as if you are 'in the loop' and that you have factual evidence, when in fact all you have is hearsay. What you don't realise that moving to Australia is a dream for many of us Brits, and reading your posts may deter people who are perfectly capable of emigrating. The fact is, you do not know. You appear to have nothing positive to share on this thread and I just wonder what your aim of being here is to achieve?

Guest NuriootpaSA
How rude! Perhaps a few pommy nurses with diplomas with attitudes towards Australian nurses with ttelling them their Bachelor of Nursing was less than the UK Dip HE and they were shite at nursing started this all off in the first place like this. Dam colonists.

Makes me ashamed.

Hmmm, it was a bit tongue in cheek I suppose. Didn't realise Aussies had got so sensitive!

For what it's worth, I've heard a "rumour" that AHPRA might be about to reconsider. What a big back down that would be, eh?

Guest NuriootpaSA
I hope you all get some news soon, even at this point I think the majority of people would even prefer some negative news than no news at all. It just seems ridiculous now that they can carry this malarkey on, changing the goal posts each week.

Ceridwyn, as I have said before this is a UK based site 'Poms in Oz' that supports mainly UK based nurses in getting to Australia. This is a thread for us to support each other in our journey in getting our UK nursing qualifications recognised with AHPRA, this is not about the injustice of NMC not recognising your qualifications. All your posts come across as harsh and negative and I feel that they are against the aim of this forum. We have no news as of yet, it may be bad news, it may not be. You quote statements as if you are 'in the loop' and that you have factual evidence, when in fact all you have is hearsay. What you don't realise that moving to Australia is a dream for many of us Brits, and reading your posts may deter people who are perfectly capable of emigrating. The fact is, you do not know. You appear to have nothing positive to share on this thread and I just wonder what your aim of being here is to achieve?

Oooh Jac your are a *********

Guest NuriootpaSA

Makes me ashamed.

One other point whilst we're on this subject. Many of the nurses affected by AHPRA's actions are Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish. Thus your argument above, suggesting it is only pommy nurses (correct spelling is POMMIE btw), is technically flawed, unless of course, you are rewriting "The History of Australia". I note your "dam colonist" (should be "damn") statement leads us all to believe that you are of Aboriginal descent. If not, I suggest you read up on Aboriginal culture and apologise for insulting that great race!

Guest NuriootpaSA
$10,000 for a bridging programme. To cover 200 hours for the theoretical component and 240 hours of clinical placement.

I'm speechless.

It probably won't teach you anything new which is the worst part of this whole stupid charade!

I am hoping to hear something this week/early next week. They set a deadline of 19th Jun to make a decision on my case, (they chose to extend the assessment period). They haven't contacted me to extend it again....yet! but as it is tomorrow, I am hoping this will be result time.

I am hoping for a yes, expecting a no and a suggestion of bridging :wacko:

I am hoping to hear something this week/early next week. They set a deadline of 19th Jun to make a decision on my case, (they chose to extend the assessment period). They haven't contacted me to extend it again....yet! but as it is tomorrow, I am hoping this will be result time.

Fingers crossed for you! I have heard nothing, keep reading about extensions and deadlines, but that's never been mentioned to me. All so frustrating, would be great to hear of someone finally getting a decision!

Good luck.

Good luck. Any news would be progress just now x

I can help with the English thing...

I answered yes and simply listed my education - degree 3 years and college 2 and I just provided my certificates as they need these anyway. No need to bother with anything else there. Then I got my ielts sent to ahpra.

Nothing else way requested and my application was processed very quickly

Could I ask your advice aswell please regarding education section? I have my diploma certificate and prior to that I did a'levels but can't seem to find my certificates, only my gcse's. I have my IELTS though. Do I need to try & get copies of my a'levels (wouldn't know where to look though as 20 yrs ago!) or as I've done IELTS would that be enough? Thanks, Nat x

Fingers crossed x Hoping it is a positive outcome for you!