NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Emailed Aphra for the progress of my application on friday

Got a reply today, they still have a high volume of

International applicants and my application is still in q.

Its just a waiting game, cant even get job offers coz of this.

Here's our story - we applied for AHPRA (both UK Nurses) and got a confirmation email 10th August with the following "In the transition to National Registration, the criteria relating to Internationally Qualified Nurses and Midwives underwent significant change. This change and the increased volume of applicants for Australian Registration as a Nurse or a Midwife resulted in a delay in processing your application. AHPRA acknowledges that you have been waiting and appreciates your patience".

On the 29th October got the "all documents received email" (we'd sent them all at the beginning of Sept) but with this message "In recent weeks the National Board issued an directive that all assessment of international qualifications be placed on hold. This is due to extensive review of the framework under which these assessments is undertaken in Australia. As such there will been no further movement in your application and it will remain open. I have not been advised as to any time frame for the recommencement of assessment. I will be in touch when I have a further update regarding your application status".

After waiting and waiting, i contacted the NSW Nursing Union and they got hold of AHPRA and were told that "they're assessing all diploma trained nurses" which is also what NSW Health were told (we have jobs with them in Coffs Harbour). We are both diploma trained but also have BSc & Post Grad stuff in nursing.

However, when we contacted AHPRA they just repeated the "delays, waiting list, lots of applicants etc" and mentioned nothing about qualifications. The last contact we had they said "it's waiting for final sign off, it will be finalised shortly, keep checking your emails for you LOE"

We contacted ANMAC and they said that the framework they use for assessment was just reviewed with AHPRA in 2013 and ANMAC still accept UK Diploma trained nurses.........so we now think that they have a standard list of reasons that they randomly pick to fob you off!

We have our fingers crossed for Feb as that will be around the 3 month mark for 'all docs received'........and keep checking our emails :skeptical:

Here's our story - we applied for AHPRA (both UK Nurses) and got a confirmation email 10th August with the following "In the transition to National Registration, the criteria relating to Internationally Qualified Nurses and Midwives underwent significant change. This change and the increased volume of applicants for Australian Registration as a Nurse or a Midwife resulted in a delay in processing your application. AHPRA acknowledges that you have been waiting and appreciates your patience".

On the 29th October got the "all documents received email" (we'd sent them all at the beginning of Sept) but with this message "In recent weeks the National Board issued an directive that all assessment of international qualifications be placed on hold. This is due to extensive review of the framework under which these assessments is undertaken in Australia. As such there will been no further movement in your application and it will remain open. I have not been advised as to any time frame for the recommencement of assessment. I will be in touch when I have a further update regarding your application status".

After waiting and waiting, i contacted the NSW Nursing Union and they got hold of AHPRA and were told that "they're assessing all diploma trained nurses" which is also what NSW Health were told (we have jobs with them in Coffs Harbour). We are both diploma trained but also have BSc & Post Grad stuff in nursing.

However, when we contacted AHPRA they just repeated the "delays, waiting list, lots of applicants etc" and mentioned nothing about qualifications. The last contact we had they said "it's waiting for final sign off, it will be finalised shortly, keep checking your emails for you LOE"

We contacted ANMAC and they said that the framework they use for assessment was just reviewed with AHPRA in 2013 and ANMAC still accept UK Diploma trained nurses.........so we now think that they have a standard list of reasons that they randomly pick to fob you off!

We have our fingers crossed for Feb as that will be around the 3 month mark for 'all docs received'........and keep checking our emails :skeptical:

Oh dear it sound like there has been a lot of changes at AHPRA but they do not want to say what they are and they just keep fobbing every off. My OET expires in July and am hoping they would have given me my LOE by then. i check emails like a mad person..lol

Really sounds like a bit of a shocker that!

Our journey has come to an end, my wife is now a fully registered nurse out here set to start shifts once the obligatory manual handling etc courses are done. All in all, the lack of actual information provided by their communications is massively frustrating. Turns out it appeared on the website before she was notified by APHRA...

i think we've got to the apathy stage! visa's and jobs but no registration. The crumb of comfort is knowing that they're still registering diploma trained nurses

hi, but you said you do have a bsc too so why are they going to assess you only on the diploma? I sent mine with documents end of september and still waiting. I was allocated a case officer 2 weeks ago. Hope they decide fast because I am tired of waiting and leaving to australia in march so I will surely need it.

Keep updated so we ll see if they are giving any LOE or not. To keep hopes up. :)

Hi,

they said they would assess on my diploma as this was my original nursing qualification but they also take into account further studies and experience etc. when making a decision on registration. We rang them last night and they said "we have all of your required paperwork, all components have been confirmed and all we are outstanding is your proof of ID" which means absolutely nothing! They then said that they would send a service request to the professional registration officer who is dealing with the case to update us on progress as all enquiries have to go through them......and that was it. Fingers remain crossed as we are at the 6 month stage now!

Having applied for my registration last august, they received all my paperwork end of October. I've received an email this morning saying as they have breached the 90 days and they have yet to complete my assessment they are extending the period by 30 days ending 28th feb this month. Has anybody also received this extension and what the likely hood of them completing my assessment by the new date?

It also says that if i don't agree to the extension they will refuse my registration. This process has been long and stressful gaining my visa was far more straight forward.

Hi guys, hope someone can help. I've been waiting to send off my paperwork to ANMAC for skills assessment after waiting what seemed like a decade for my professional reference! It's been mentioned that I should send a letter from HR detailing my employment history. Do you think I could get away without this? My professional reference outlines how many years I've worked there as a registered nurse so would that be enough? Has anyone successfully done theirs without needing this from HR? I've been asking them to do it for a month now and still nothing! I'm getting a bit impatient!!! Obviously if I do need it I'll just continue to badger them til it turns up!

Thanks for any advice!!

Bouncy x

Hi guys, hope someone can help. I've been waiting to send off my paperwork to ANMAC for skills assessment after waiting what seemed like a decade for my professional reference! It's been mentioned that I should send a letter from HR detailing my employment history. Do you think I could get away without this? My professional reference outlines how many years I've worked there as a registered nurse so would that be enough? Has anyone successfully done theirs without needing this from HR? I've been asking them to do it for a month now and still nothing! I'm getting a bit impatient!!! Obviously if I do need it I'll just continue to badger them til it turns up!

Thanks for any advice!!

Bouncy x

I didn't send a letter from HR, just my professional references stating my hours/years of service & this was acceptable to ANMAC.

Hi Jenski, if you go back through this thread from page 1 someone else has had the exact same email; we're on the same timeline as you but haven't had that email as yet; agreed on the visa experience, it was way easier than AHPRA, they seem to tell people different things!

Not sure if this helps or if anyone can clarify for me. I am just getting a reference from my current band 7, not seen anything asking for or about history from HR! I have been with my current employer for 8 years so any previous experience I am just putting in a covering letter.

Alcrock I totally feel your pain , my uni told me they didn't have mine as it was too long ago so I got nmc to send their equivelant to anmac, then randomly I got an email a month later from uni apologising for the delay, and it turned up in the post 2 days later ! Got there in the end!! Hope you get yours soon! X

i've just rang them, customer services said "all components have been confirmed all we are waiting on is your ID check" when i asked what that actually meant they said "as you are aware, all international nurses must present themselves at an AHPRA office in person with proof of ID etc" but then added "i'm not a registration officer so am not able to confirm this 100% i am just looking at what it says in your file" they also repeated the mantra "as you know we have had a high level of international applications that has caused a significant delay in processing and the nursing & midwifery board are also reviewing the assessment process which is increasing these delays".........still no LOE

i've just rang them, customer services said "all components have been confirmed all we are waiting on is your ID check" when i asked what that actually meant they said "as you are aware, all international nurses must present themselves at an AHPRA office in person with proof of ID etc" but then added "i'm not a registration officer so am not able to confirm this 100% i am just looking at what it says in your file" they also repeated the mantra "as you know we have had a high level of international applications that has caused a significant delay in processing and the nursing & midwifery board are also reviewing the assessment process which is increasing these delays".........still no LOE

hi, but do you have a case officer assigned? You should ask him directly. I dont know what is happening they usually give it in 6 weeks. I have a case officer, she told me that they assessing the qualifications. I will ask for an update next week. Can they refuse our registration although we were accepted by ANMAC?

hi, yes got a case officer, can never get hold of her! as far as i can tell i've been assessed and am just waiting on final sign off by the professional registration officer, that's why i've not been sent an extension letter and they keep going on about final ID check. I suppose until we get the LOE or a refusal we won't know.

Hi, i'm looking for some advice... I completed my AHPRA registration document, sent it off along with all supporting information etc. on 27/01/2014 to the Darwin office as I've heard registration times there are much shorter.

I'm now wondering when i'll hear anything - will they let me know they've received my application? Or will the first thing I know be the money taken from my account? I've never been so keen for money to leave my bank account!!

I know I haven't left it long, but I'm excited and feeling a little helpless now it's all out of my hands!!

Any experiences in this area would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Alex x

Did you get the application tracked .like airsure or something? So you'll know when its arrived? My money came out about a week after i posted it and couple of days after that I got an email to say they had received my application..mine took 8 weeks from sydney office. Good luck :)

It seems they changed the international nurses section. I hope that they wont refuse those who ve been waiting for 5 months. Its funny how they left our application pending till the new changes. :mad:. So this means that no Diploma nurses are accepted anymore in Australia. Just degree nurses and now are they going to hurry the process or we need to wait another 5 months to know something!!! I am frustrated and tired of all the pending and waiting.