NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Guest Nikstq

Hi, I have a question relating to my qualifications, I am unsure if my quals will be good enough. I qualified as a nurse in 2004 but only worked as a nurse for a short period of time before I joined the ambulance service and worked as a paramedic which I have done for past 8 years. I am interested in working in Australia as a nurse, pref emergency or community which is my background. Would it be poss for me with what I have, even though I don't have much experience as an actual nurse? Will I be knocked back or accepted? Would like some advice before starting visa application process.

Thanks

nikki

Hi, I have a question relating to my qualifications, I am unsure if my quals will be good enough. I qualified as a nurse in 2004 but only worked as a nurse for a short period of time before I joined the ambulance service and worked as a paramedic which I have done for past 8 years. I am interested in working in Australia as a nurse, pref emergency or community which is my background. Would it be poss for me with what I have, even though I don't have much experience as an actual nurse? Will I be knocked back or accepted? Would like some advice before starting visa application process.

Thanks

nikki

Did you maintain your nursing registration?

Guest Nikstq

No only for few years as I had to pay hpc reg for paramedic which was too expensive! This is what I am wondering do I still have to be registered in the uk or is the qualification enough with relevant experience? X

No only for few years as I had to pay hpc reg for paramedic which was too expensive! This is what I am wondering do I still have to be registered in the uk or is the qualification enough with relevant experience? X

It is very difficult to get registered with APHRA. Have you looked at the requirements to do so? Their standard on recency of (nursing) practice for instance?

The Nursing CV they ask for. The CPD/PREP required by both NMC and APHRA to keep your skills up.

They ask for a statement of good standing from your current regulatory authority (NMC).

Why not talk to the NMC/APHRA and ask their advice, your's is a pretty unique situation and you need expert advice.

I'm awaiting transcript of nursing diploma syllabus and general transcript from uni and have requested it to be in hours with full breakdown of theory+ placements , I was hopingthat someone who has had successful APHRA application wouldn't mind sharing an example of this so when mine arrives I can check it is in correct layout? Please pm me if you don't mind doing this , it would be greatly appreciated as dont want to get anything wrong when I eventually send thingsoff if can help it x

I'm awaiting transcript of nursing diploma syllabus and general transcript from uni and have requested it to be in hours with full breakdown of theory+ placements , I was hopingthat someone who has had successful APHRA application wouldn't mind sharing an example of this so when mine arrives I can check it is in correct layout? Please pm me if you don't mind doing this , it would be greatly appreciated as dont want to get anything wrong when I eventually send thingsoff if can help it x

Is your uni sending it to you or direct to APHRA? My uni would only send it direct to maintain the 'integrity of the information' and the 'standing' of the university. They did send me a photocopy though.

With almost 5 weeks after they received it they have not queried the info sent by the uni. Good luck with your application. :biggrin:

Is your uni sending it to you or direct to APHRA? My uni would only send it direct to maintain the 'integrity of the information' and the 'standing' of the university. They did send me a photocopy though.

With almost 5 weeks after they received it they have not queried the info sent by the uni. Good luck with your application. :biggrin:

I assume they are posting it direct to me because it didn't state for me to give them a different address or even a reason for requesting the info - at £85 I certainly hope I get to see what I'm paying for !

good luck with your app , it is obviously in the correct format xx

Hi ,

just wonder if anyone has any advice:wink:. My husband has 10+ years of experience but was only able to get 1 reference in the format required by ANMAC ( from his most recent employer). The previous employer in the US doesn`t give out references due to privacy laws and he sent the email from his manager explaining the situation to ANMAC. ANMAC says that unless they have the references they will only count 5 years of experience ( enough for ANMAC but not enough points for DIAC). He has all his employment statements of course proving he indeed does have the experience. We used to live in Saudi in the past, now it`s impossible to get any "fresh" references because the manager has moved on just as we did:eek:. The reference that he has from there is not in the format required by ANMAC. I can`t help it but it really seems dumb to me:mad:, official statements prove the experience but they need a personal letter ?!!!!

Did anyone encounter this situation ( especially I need to know what happened with DIAC and how many points were you awarded)

will appreciate any advice

Hi ,

just wonder if anyone has any advice:wink:. My husband has 10+ years of experience but was only able to get 1 reference in the format required by ANMAC ( from his most recent employer). The previous employer in the US doesn`t give out references due to privacy laws and he sent the email from his manager explaining the situation to ANMAC. ANMAC says that unless they have the references they will only count 5 years of experience ( enough for ANMAC but not enough points for DIAC). He has all his employment statements of course proving he indeed does have the experience. We used to live in Saudi in the past, now it`s impossible to get any "fresh" references because the manager has moved on just as we did:eek:. The reference that he has from there is not in the format required by ANMAC. I can`t help it but it really seems dumb to me:mad:, official statements prove the experience but they need a personal letter ?!!!!

Did anyone encounter this situation ( especially I need to know what happened with DIAC and how many points were you awarded)

will appreciate any advice

I don't know about the US but here I have a supervision file which includes monthly meetings, reports etc, I also have a compulsory KSF appraisal which states the competencies under the Agenda for Change Knowledge Skills Framework that I am required to have for my post/role and how I measure against them. I must reach certain levels at 'gateway' appraisals so I can move up the incremental payscale.

Did your hubbie have annual appraisals? Does he have payslips or would the HR department confirm he worked for that employer between the dates you are asking to be allowed? Would a statutory declaration help if accompanying any of that information.

Someone told us here on the forum that the ANMAC staff were really approachable and even read the forum, could you ask them in person what would satisfy?

Good luck Maruska! :biggrin:

I don't know about the US but here I have a supervision file which includes monthly meetings, reports etc, I also have a compulsory KSF appraisal which states the competencies under the Agenda for Change Knowledge Skills Framework that I am required to have for my post/role and how I measure against them. I must reach certain levels at 'gateway' appraisals so I can move up the incremental payscale.

Did your hubbie have annual appraisals? Does he have payslips or would the HR department confirm he worked for that employer between the dates you are asking to be allowed? Would a statutory declaration help if accompanying any of that information.

Someone told us here on the forum that the ANMAC staff were really approachable and even read the forum, could you ask them in person what would satisfy?

Good luck Maruska! :biggrin:

Thanks,

he sent them the explanation together with his managers email ( where she states why she can`t give reference AND the number to call to confirm employment) but ANMAC sent us a "copy and paste" article with the requirements for the reference pulled from their website:mad:. When we left Saudi we canceled our bank accounts, people in that area are constantly on the move and none of the managers - his or mine- is in there presently. The HR are the only people really to confirm that he worked there ( they gave him the employment statement in the first place).

My worry is that it`s enough for ANMAC but to miss the extra points for DIAC is really a bummer:frown:

Hello :)

Russ is a RMN, which ANMAC assessment should he be going for? The full or mod assessment? Sorry if this has already been answered. Also getting a bit confused with AHPRA, for Perth, where does Russ have to apply and how much is it?

Claire

Edited by russ and claire

Hello :)

Russ is a RMN, which ANMAC assessment should he be going for? The full or mod assessment? Sorry if this has already been answered. Also getting a bit confused with AHPRA, for Perth, where does Russ have to apply and how much is it?

Claire

ANMAC assessments are skills assessment for all nursing and midwifery. Full is if you are not already fully registered with APHRA. If you are fully registered with APHRA, eg been on a working holiday and was registered already you can go for modified. :biggrin:

Guest Krazy

also, if im going on a 176 do i need my APHRA before I lodge my visa application?

Krazy (even more so since starting this)

How much is the skills assesment?xx

http://www.anmc.org.au/ current fees on this page.

APHRA will give you a year to turn up to complete registration in Australia, unless you meet the full identity requirements before going to Oz, so it is best to wait until a few months before you go.

If you do meet the full identity requirements for APHRA getting registered first will save you money though.

Get your ANMAC docs certified to APHRA's stricter requirements and ANMAC will forward to APHRA for you when they are finished with them, saving you time and money too. :biggrin:

Hi, ive got my APHRA approval letter through and ive got a deadline of November 30th to present myself to Brisbane Office. Im getting married October 20th in England so were planning on getting there mid november (and basing ourselves in Perth). Were going on a 457 visa. Ive got two questions

1. When is the best time to strart applying for jobs? I figured end of may time but do you think that it too early/would they hold a job that long for me?

2. Also as i will be getting married just before i go out, ill have to change my maritial status and circumstances on my APHRA and probably my visa. Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Is it a massive b***ache or is it quite simple. Ive emailed the woman who dealt with me at APHRA but shes curently on holiday.

ANY help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

THanks in advance

Polly x

Hiya I'm in the same situation getting married before I go and changing your name. For your visa: contact your CO and advise them of the change and email them a scanned copy of your new passport and marriage certificate if you change your name. For AHPRA: You will need to provide documentary evidence of your change of name from the maiden name to the married name. Usually a certified copy of your marriage certificate would be considered documentary evidence of this.

Hope this helps!:cute:

Hi all,

Just a query as in a quandry.....

Have started gathering the docs to register with NZ Nursing council (IELTS complete; police checks done; transcript from NMC) but am going to Australia later in the year for a good look around as I have, for ages, been in two minds about which country to go for!

If I do get NZ reg and then I decide on going to Oz instead, can I transfer it across?

OR which is the easiest to get initially to then transfer under trans-tasman or whatever it is??

I've been reading that when you get Oz reg you have to present in person at an office to complete the process; this is something I could do on my visit I guess?

Does that make sense?

Any advice welcomed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi can anyone help?

457 ? whats required. I am a midwife hoping for 457 as I want to go over to Perth this year, I have an employer who is looking into if they can sponsor me. Is there anything i can be doing in preparation. From what i have read i cant arrange medical yet. Does my OH need medical (not a healthcare worker) Do i need a penal clearance? is this a CRB? and does my partner need one? any useful info would be gratefully appreciated. I did post on immigration thread but no response as yet.

Thanks in advace sunbeam :wub:

Hi can anyone help?

457 ? whats required. I am a midwife hoping for 457 as I want to go over to Perth this year, I have an employer who is looking into if they can sponsor me. Is there anything i can be doing in preparation. From what i have read i cant arrange medical yet. Does my OH need medical (not a healthcare worker) Do i need a penal clearance? is this a CRB? and does my partner need one? any useful info would be gratefully appreciated. I did post on immigration thread but no response as yet.

Thanks in advace sunbeam :wub:

I am a nurse going on a 457. I registered with ahpra and have applied for job and been offered the job. I have received email confirming the sponsorship with a trn number and now i have to lodge my application. I am told that I will be contacted and then will be asked to complete medical (£385) as will need full medical as going as a nurse and I will also have to complete police checks ( I have the pack ready to go when they say I can ) I have filled all the paperwork in as requested for the job and part of that was a crb check in australia. the police check i will have to complete here is through Acro. I hope this is useful and sorry not more informative but I am just at the point of lodging my application so not sure of any other things at present! good luck :)

Hi Delaneym

thanks for the reply

what pack do you have ready for police check? i have AHPRA eligibility are there any other documents i will need? and any other advice warmly welcomed x

I will send you the link in a pm as not sure I can post it here. x

Hi guys, can anyone please help me! At my absolute wits end with AHPRA. 7 months and counting.

Because I did the nursing diploma as opposed to the degree in the UK, they're asking....

Every applicant applying for registration as a registered nurse (Division 1) in Australia, is required to meet the NMBA’s minimum education requirement of a bachelor degree or comparable qualification together with experience, to be eligible for registration as a registered nurse (Division 1) in Australia

"In order to determine if your qualification together with your experience is comparable to an Australian bachelor degree, please provide the following: Certified evidence of additional education (either post-graduate or professional course in relevant field) or certified evidence of anyprofessional development courses you have undertaken since gaining your registration "

Now, I have sent them everything I have. I have very good references and over 5 years neurosurgical and neuro interventional-radiology experience.

WHAT MORE COULD THEY POSSIBLY WANT!!!

Obviously they're the most difficult bunch of idiots to contact, donotreply@AHPRA and all the rest of it. I'm absolutely sick to death.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! :-S

Chris, Sydney x