NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi there guys, can they make it any harder for people...

Me and my partner are trying to escape HULL and trying to emigrate to WA and do all the paper work our self (trying to save around £2000 with agent fees) with confusion already...

Got a few quick questions.

The Uni transcript, we have got these from the Uni with ease But, can i send it with the rest of the paper work or does the uni have to send them direct...

Also, the IELTS test paper Can i send or again, do they have to send a copy direct...

Also i have been reading about people sending disclaimers what are they sending a disclaimer about, will i have to send one...

And what is this skills assessment...

Thanks for any HeLp...

Dave...

Hi sh3p69

Are you talking about the information you are sending to AHPRA for registration? I sent my transcripts to them direct, they don't have to come from uni. You don't need IELTS for AHPRA but you do for ANMC and they like it sent direct to them. As you'll know in the UK NMC do everything from registering you to telling other Nursing councils you have the skills to be a nurse etc etc. In Australia AHPRA register you, but ANMC http://www.anmc.org.au/ assess your skills and tell DIAC that you can work as a nurse. DIAC require this when you submit your visa application no matter whether or not you have your AHPRA registration. I submitted to AHPRA first thinking I was being clever to only find out that had I done my IELTS, got the result, then submitted this along with my nursing paperwork to ANMC, ANMC would then have used this same documentation I sent them to send to AHPRA and tell them that they can register me so I wouldn't have had to get two lots of paperwork certified (well 3 if you include the paperwork for the visa!). I say get your IELTS first because you need this before you can submit to ANMC- unless you are willing to pay for the full assessment- you'll see this on the right hand side of the page on the ANMC link. The disclaimer is what AHPRA have requested before they will register you to say that you have studied and been taught in English. Some people on here have said that they got their school and uni to send this direct, others have said they wrote it and got it witnessed. I rang AHPRA about this and they said what I had sent them was sufficient and I didn't need to send one. I just sent all my school certificates and transcripts, which are in English and shows I did English as a subject. They haven't requested a disclaimer so far....but watch this space! I started doing everything myself, but after I messed up with the ANMC/AHPRA thing, I decided to use an agent company who was used by my sister-in-law 10 years ago and highly regarded, they've been fab so far and much much less than £2k. I do think it is well worth it and saves you the headache because they do everything for you and know all options- especially with the changes coming in July. If you are interested PM me and I will give you their details.

I know exactly how you feel lol! Its the same for my husband, James, & I. Where are you hoping to go in Oz?

Ideally Queensland or Adelaide but it does depend on where James can find work as an electrician. It all seems so far away and lots to resolve in this country first. We would like to go across on my visa as its cheaper but it all rests on whether I will find the necessary work after qualifying. :)

Guest pandj6224

A couple of serious questions!

1. AHPRA Even though my wife is British from birth, Taught in English and a native english speaker and has already sucsessfully passed an IELTS test in Dec 2007 for the visa application due to points system change, (we weren't awarded our visa until Aug 2010!!) am I now reading correctly the AHPRA paperwork in that she will need to sit one again?? Senseless if this is right and another stumbling block again, when we contacted the ANMC now ANMAC after we were awarded our visa to get them to send onto QLD Health/ AHPRA they said that they only hold said documentation for one year so her's had been destroyed due to it being over that time, IS THAT RIGHT?? If so wifey says forget it, as she looked like a right idiot sat in Cardifff Uni, as only two of the people in the room, one being her! Were native english speakers, overall score was 8.5.........Now it seems to us that this one will be classed as out of date would I be right in assuming that??

More questions to follow.....

Thanks in Advance..

Pat..

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I hope you don't have to take the stupid IELTS test again, my wife said it was awful and wouldn't take it again, we already have our visa, surely a nurse with over 20 years experience will get a job in Oz without having to taking another stupid English test.

Guest pandj6224

Seriously hoping she doesn't I know for a fact that she won't be very impressed, I cringed when I mentioned it earlier, face like thunder would be an understatement....

Thanks

Ropey Hoff

A couple of serious questions!

1. AHPRA Even though my wife is British from birth, Taught in English and a native english speaker and has already sucsessfully passed an IELTS test in Dec 2007 for the visa application due to points system change, (we weren't awarded our visa until Aug 2010!!) am I now reading correctly the AHPRA paperwork in that she will need to sit one again?? Senseless if this is right and another stumbling block again, when we contacted the ANMC now ANMAC after we were awarded our visa to get them to send onto QLD Health/ AHPRA they said that they only hold said documentation for one year so her's had been destroyed due to it being over that time, IS THAT RIGHT?? If so wifey says forget it, as she looked like a right idiot sat in Cardifff Uni, as only two of the people in the room, one being her! Were native english speakers, overall score was 8.5.........Now it seems to us that this one will be classed as out of date would I be right in assuming that??

More questions to follow.....

Thanks in Advance..

Pat..

Hi pandj6224

No you don't need the IELTS for AHPRA just for ANMC. If you've had your skills assessed with ANMC then you are ok. AHPRA don't request an IELTS test, just to prove you were taught and studied in English. So make sure you send them as much paperwork and as many exam results and transcripts as you can including those from secondary school as they may ask you for a disclaimer stating you have studied and been enducated in English. Though if you're getting all your paperwork certified anyway to send to AHPRA then you may as well get a disclaimer witnessed at the same time!

Out of interest did you apply for a 175 visa? It took a very long time to come through!

I hope you don't have to take the stupid IELTS test again, my wife said it was awful and wouldn't take it again, we already have our visa, surely a nurse with over 20 years experience will get a job in Oz without having to taking another stupid English test.

I don't blame her not wanting to take it again! I have mine next week and I've been practising lots, but I am really worried about the reading...sounds really stupid but the Academic tests are so much harder than the General, I just hope they are nice to us on the day!

I'm sure a nurse with so much experience will not have any problem getting a job in Oz.

Ideally Queensland or Adelaide but it does depend on where James can find work as an electrician. It all seems so far away and lots to resolve in this country first. We would like to go across on my visa as its cheaper but it all rests on whether I will find the necessary work after qualifying. :)

I'm sure you will. Have you done your elective placement yet? I did mine over in OZ was a great experience. Hoping to get a job at the same hospital I went to. Fingers crossed!!! Although we have been talking about moving out there for a while now it was only in Jan we decided we were definitely going to do it & we are hoping to be out by the end of the year but as you know it all depends on Reg, Job & visa. At the moment were on a mission to save save save!!! :biggrin:

Guest robnnic

Can you not just get your paperwork sent from ANMC to APHRA......thats what i did (only if you got justice of the peace to sign ANMC paperwork) and i signed my CV myself. Got my APHRA registration in 6 weeks and didnt get requested for any other info so it must have been ok.

Nic

Guest pandj6224

Thanks RachelmO

Our's wasn't a simple case and we did expect some sort of a delay, but not to wait for 3 and a half years!! Yes we did go the Skilled Independant 175 route, in the end our case officer was taken away and replaced by a senior case officer who spoke with our agent and within days made the decision to award the Visa's though prior to this, between Aug and Oct 2009 we were led to believe through a letter from DIAC/DIMA that we wouldn't be awarded, we were devastated and so in January 2010, we brought back the £10k fund we had sent down and we bought a pony built a stable block and paddock for our daughter, took finance out on a brand new Freelander and out of the rest of our savings back here I got myself a nice Volvo s80.............So how gutted were we when in June 2010 we received a call from our agent in Brisbane asking whether or not we still wanted our Visa's..........Very as we knew at that point there was no way we could afford to move anytime soon.....They awarded them but the dropped the bombshell they wanted us in oz by the end of August.....Couldn't do it and we started negotiating, as we had a Son who was getting ready for GCSE's etc, so we asked for Aug 2011 for activation which they refused and stated they would only extend until the end of October 2010 and so we flew down for 3 weeks just to get them activated.......this is only the latter part of the very very long saga................

Pat...... Great news though on the IELTS front, we'll battle the rest of the paperwork soon, of course now we have our Daughter going into yr10 in Sept and shortly afterwards starting her first two GCSE's and so our aim now is for Sept/Oct 2014,.....Watch this space.....I'm happy to share our story..

Pat..

Guest pandj6224

Should say......Even our Agent was shocked at the time frame and the way we were messed around, she made representations about our treatment by DIMA/DIAC, in October 2010 I wrote a number of strongly worded emails and sent to th Australian PM, Deputy PM who is now Priminister and the Minister for Immigration, I also sent copioes to our friends in Queensland, I'm aware that some of them made representations through their organistation, I also wrote a press release which I forwarded along with the emails and pointed out that I would circulate to the media within Australia, I must admit it was a last ditch attempt but when the end of January came and we hadn't heard anything we believed the dream was over..........

Pat..........Please read, long reply... before this one......

I sincerely apologise everyone I've digressed from the main topic, MOD/ADMIN I'm happy to move to another area ....Apologies again...

Thanks RachelmO

Our's wasn't a simple case and we did expect some sort of a delay, but not to wait for 3 and a half years!! Yes we did go the Skilled Independant 175 route, in the end our case officer was taken away and replaced by a senior case officer who spoke with our agent and within days made the decision to award the Visa's though prior to this, between Aug and Oct 2009 we were led to believe through a letter from DIAC/DIMA that we wouldn't be awarded, we were devastated and so in January 2010, we brought back the £10k fund we had sent down and we bought a pony built a stable block and paddock for our daughter, took finance out on a brand new Freelander and out of the rest of our savings back here I got myself a nice Volvo s80.............So how gutted were we when in June 2010 we received a call from our agent in Brisbane asking whether or not we still wanted our Visa's..........Very as we knew at that point there was no way we could afford to move anytime soon.....They awarded them but the dropped the bombshell they wanted us in oz by the end of August.....Couldn't do it and we started negotiating, as we had a Son who was getting ready for GCSE's etc, so we asked for Aug 2011 for activation which they refused and stated they would only extend until the end of October 2010 and so we flew down for 3 weeks just to get them activated.......this is only the latter part of the very very long saga................

Pat...... Great news though on the IELTS front, we'll battle the rest of the paperwork soon, of course now we have our Daughter going into yr10 in Sept and shortly afterwards starting her first two GCSE's and so our aim now is for Sept/Oct 2014,.....Watch this space.....I'm happy to share our story..

Pat..

How awful! What a complete mess! This is my fear about applying for 175/176 as there is no guarantee when they will come through. Not sure of the route we should go really. Though at least you have your visas now! Thank you for sharing your story!

I am currently applying for a spouse visa to join my husband in Queensland, I am a registered nurse post-registration of 3yrs+ with a Bsc. I know that I have to apply to the Australian Nursing and Midwifery board, and was not sure if I have to sit the English general test as some links are saying that you do not need it. I also wondered if anyone had applied for employment prior to recieving their registration, and what is the average wait for registration. I am desperate to return as soon as possible, but do not want to give up my nursing position here in the UK, until I can secure a post in Australia. x

Guest LouiseM

Hi all,

Im hoping to go to Oz for a year in November 2012 to work as a nurse on a flexible bases as i travel. Im going to apply for a working holoiday visa. Im just starting getting all the revlevent documentation together at the moment to aply for the nursing pin with APHRA as ive heard it can be a lengthy process of at least 6months. Im currently unsure of a couple of thing.

1. If i sit the IELTS exam before I send out my application would i need to notify APHRA first as it states they want the results sent direct from the IELTS office, should i send out my application first??

2. If im flexible nursing & wanting to start work in Brisbane do I apply to the state of Queensland on my APHRA application?

3. To certify documents can a nurse at work do this??

4. Do I send off to get verification from the NMC just before sending out the APHRA? & is it just the APHRA board I need to write down?

Sorry for all the questions but im quite confused, would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks Louise x

Guest cdchaplin

hi louise aphra is the hardest part of the whole process for most of us!!! send your application because it takes ages before they even look at it. You can ask test centre to send results direct to aphra. certify documents has to be done by a notary you can find a local one online. aphra registration applies to all states so doesn't really matter which you apply to. Apply to nmc whenever as they norammly take month to send you the form then send back etc.., and apply to your university to get transcript as this was my biggest hurdle as they needed to prove my diploma was equivalent to there degree!!! good luck xxx

Hello. this is the first time i have ever used a forum, so please excuse me if it's not the right place. I wasn't sure if i should start a new thread? i wonder if i could ask if anyone could give me some advice?

I have been working in mental health for the past 8 years (currently as a senior project (keyworker) worker in an alternative to psychiatric hospital (community services) with NHS; before as a nursing assistant). I have a place on a 2 year postgrad diploma in mental health nursing starting in september 2012. THis means i will just have turned 44 when i (hopefully) complete the course.

Can I apply for a skilled migration visa (to WA) at that time, before having a year's experience as a (qualified) mental health nurse? I have been trying to ascertain if my previous experience will count as (similiar) but have not been able to ascertain this.

Obviously if this is not possible then I stand to lose points once I turn 45. Is it your age at the time of the application that counts or when the visa is granted

Any help would be most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Sue:notworthy:

I am currently applying for a spouse visa to join my husband in Queensland, I am a registered nurse post-registration of 3yrs+ with a Bsc. I know that I have to apply to the Australian Nursing and Midwifery board, and was not sure if I have to sit the English general test as some links are saying that you do not need it. I also wondered if anyone had applied for employment prior to recieving their registration, and what is the average wait for registration. I am desperate to return as soon as possible, but do not want to give up my nursing position here in the UK, until I can secure a post in Australia. x

Hi Pollgirl, Im similar to you, 3 years post reg Bsc. Im going on a 457 visa and didnt have to sit an english test. I think as long as you can prove that you were taught in English they will be happy with that. They accepted my high school exam results as proof of this. I also secured my job before i had even started my AHPRA application so yes, it can be done :smile: Be warned though, registering with AHPRA can take forever. I applied in aug and im still not registered. I was lucky in that i had already organised a delayed commencement with my sponsor so i've had the time to wait.

Guest robnnic
Hi all,

Im hoping to go to Oz for a year in November 2012 to work as a nurse on a flexible bases as i travel. Im going to apply for a working holoiday visa. Im just starting getting all the revlevent documentation together at the moment to aply for the nursing pin with APHRA as ive heard it can be a lengthy process of at least 6months. Im currently unsure of a couple of thing.

1. If i sit the IELTS exam before I send out my application would i need to notify APHRA first as it states they want the results sent direct from the IELTS office, should i send out my application first??

I sat IELTS before i applied to APHRA....on the IELTS application put to address of the APHRA office you are going to use...once you get your IELTS results there will be a reference number on it...keep this in mind and when you send your application to APHRA send a covering letter with this reference number on.

2. If im flexible nursing & wanting to start work in Brisbane do I apply to the state of Queensland on my APHRA application? Once you arrive in Australia you will have to activate your registration by taking you letter and passport to the office you have applied at.

3. To certify documents can a nurse at work do this??

You need to get a Justice of the PEace to certify ALL documents for APHRA...can be quite a difference in the cost so loo around (google it if you dont know any)

4. Do I send off to get verification from the NMC just before sending out the APHRA? & is it just the APHRA board I need to write down?

Yep it is just the APHRA address you need to write down...you can do this beforehand and again it will join up with you application once you send it.

Sorry for all the questions but im quite confused, would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks Louise x

Hope this helps Louise

Nic.x.

Guest LouiseM

Hi, im new to pomsinoz, im hoping to go out to oz in November for a year on a working holidayvisa, with the aim to do flexible nursing. Will i have to do the anmc skills assessment, or can i just do the aphra registration? Thanks

Guest robnnic
Hi, im new to pomsinoz, im hoping to go out to oz in November for a year on a working holidayvisa, with the aim to do flexible nursing. Will i have to do the anmc skills assessment, or can i just do the aphra registration? Thanks

I don't know about that...sorry.x.

Guest LouiseM
Hope this helps Louise

Nic.x.

Thanks very much for the reply, lots to be doing! Do you know if i need anmc skills assessment? Im thinking its only needed for permenent visas. Did u fill out a form for crb check? X