Australia in Recession and massive job losses

Guest lovediving

Guest lovediving
The recession will almost certainly have a knock on effect on the amount of visa's granted - i think it goes without saying. However, certain skilled positions will still be in demand like doctors and accountants (i hope) as i dont see anyone retraining for 7 yrs unlesss they had no other choice. The next post we'll be reading will be 'Aussie Jobs For Aussie People' but hey if that was to happen they wouldn't get all the Brittish eyecandy over to give them the patter!! :laugh:

I think you will find it is already like that here, the ozzies will look after their own before others.......

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankyou Nigel the effert you & others put on here for people they dont even know is most appreciated thankyou.

Guest proud2beaussie
Thankyou Nigel the effert you & others put on here for people they dont even know is most appreciated thankyou.

You're most welcome,mate.if I can help anybody in any way I am only too happy to do it.we all need a helping hand sometimes.

N'OZ

There will be some jobs that are harder to get here due to the recession. There are lots of mining jobs that have gone already.

Jobs like Ali and me....Nursing are pretty safe. I should imagine bus drivers and public transport workers pretty safe too.

Because revenue is going to be down in the private sectors like mining revenue from company tax (& personal tax) will reduce the public purse.

I've started to hear about this already from clients who do upgrade works for hospitals... they've already been capped.

It won't last forever though. Just part of the cycle.

Guest lovediving
Because revenue is going to be down in the private sectors like mining revenue from company tax (& personal tax) will reduce the public purse.

I've started to hear about this already from clients who do upgrade works for hospitals... they've already been capped.

It wont last forever agreed, but 2009 is supposed to be bad worldwide and the true effects are starting to show now.

My sister had her hours cut at work or lose her job, a friend of mine got laid off after 6 years of working in the bank, things are not good here at all and I personally am feeling it, no matter where you are in the world now things are volitile so my advice is if you are going to move countries get a job first because it could be very difficult otherwise.

Guest earlswood
Just wondering, how can there be a skill shortage here now with so many people losing their jobs and the unemployment rate at 4.8%.

How are people still getting in on work visas ?

I think any of you planning on coming here should hurry it up if that is what you want because surely this will all change soon as things get progressively worse in employment here.

You are there...you see whats going on.....good points made as usual....:notworthy:

Guest lovediving
You are there...you see whats going on.....good points made as usual....:notworthy:

I was wondering where you was today.....

So you went back, how are you finding it ?

Guest proud2beaussie
OMG lovediving & Earlswood are husband and wife - only 12,000km apart!

More like trouble and strife.

(Sorry,earls,couldn't resist it.)

Guest earlswood
I was wondering where you was today.....

So you went back, how are you finding it ?

Loving it...especially this winter which what a winter should be :jiggy:

You do appriciate this wonderfull Country when you have been away from it for a bit....but I would not put anyone thinking of trying Oz off as it is also a great Country....you can always come back to a another great Country if you do not like Oz.

Guest lovediving
Loving it...especially this winter which what a winter should be :jiggy:

You do appriciate this wonderfull Country when you have been away from it for a bit....but I would not put anyone thinking of trying Oz off as it is also a great Country....you can always come back to a another great Country if you do not like Oz.

Yes, I am in two minds at the moment New Zealand or back to the UK. I know what you mean though about winter in the UK, I always liked it when I was there at least you could pop to spain or something if you want some sun and not have to travel thousands of kms to leave the country.

I think if people know what they can expect from OZ then it is worth a try and for some they have loved it and are lviing it and good luck to them.

The health Authority I work for has told everyone we have to save 3%, which boils down to not ordering sandwiches for meetings and not back filling posts when people go on leave (which is a bit of novelty anyway as this didn't happen where I worked in the UK, you're colleagues just covered your case load.).

My OH's firm aren't employing new people if people leave, I don't think anyone I've spoken to believes the recession won't affect Aus ... but most of us hope it doesn't hit us too badly.

Ali

must admit that i've been on the sunny coast for over four months now and regually check the job ads and there's absolutely bugger all jobs on there for tradies!!!

saying that though if you're prepared to be versitile and not scared to work hard, sweat hard and harden the f### up as the aussies say then you'll not have to much trouble finding work, it may take a few weeks though.

If you really want to be here, you'll find a way, rather than bitching as you can't get that $50000 a year plus job...

pommypaul, possibly had a few to many, speaking the truth lol.... !

Guest lovediving

The-Perfect-Spouses-Hot-Wife-Ugly-Husband-2.jpg

You really are on form today arn't you. Hillarious ! thanks for making me laugh that is funny :biglaugh:

I'm sorry I cant stay on tonight but I have to babysit my nephew - Earlswood can't wait for your comment

what about dental technicians i have the skills to make you all look 21 again even pablo LOL

:skeptical:ive just forked out 1200 to a private dentist in preston,595 of which for a vittalium denture,the nhs one is like having a mudflap in your mouth,its an ornament on the shelf now

You can not beat a chrome denture you have got a good price as well.

yes maybe kirk, the other alternative was to also have two clips put on,male/female affair because the dentist retained the two roots that used to carry my bridge(if you know what i mean?)thats an extra 600 tho,so the technician is designing the denture so this feature can be added in the future if i want. world of difference in private and nhs though!

Archived