british jobs for british people,lmao

pablo

Just wondering what people think of the kick in the teeth for the british building industry over in lincolnshire?its one thing people saying we "needed" east europeans when there was a building boom ( supposedly a boom anyway ),but shipping hundreds of italian and portuguese builders in when the building industry is dead is quite another thing,apparantly the company doing the construction isnt even accepting applications from brits,i have worked abroad myself so i dont want to sound like a hypocrite,but germany WAS desperate for builders when i was there.what happened to rules about employing a % of local labour?people can come on here and talk about freedom of movement,and were all in the e.u etc all they want ( and i know who the apologists will be btw ),but i KNOW one thing,the italian/french govnmt and people wouldnt let it happen,regardless of e.u "rules",if a shipload of brit builders turned up in naples/marseilles to completely take over a site they would be lynched!its typical of this country that we allow it,knowing the way the handwringing ,liberal lefties are here they are probably on there way to lincs now to set up soup kitchens for the poor italians as we speak.its this kind of fiasco that contributes to people losing all faith in the u.k.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest proud2beaussie
Just wondering what people think of the kick in the teeth for the british building industry over in lincolnshire?its one thing people saying we "needed" east europeans when there was a building boom ( supposedly a boom anyway ),but shipping hundreds of italian and portuguese builders in when the building industry is dead is quite another thing,apparantly the company doing the construction isnt even accepting applications from brits,i have worked abroad myself so i dont want to sound like a hypocrite,but germany WAS desperate for builders when i was there.what happened to rules about employing a % of local labour?people can come on here and talk about freedom of movement,and were all in the e.u etc all they want ( and i know who the apologists will be btw ),but i KNOW one thing,the italian/french govnmt and people wouldnt let it happen,regardless of e.u "rules",if a shipload of brit builders turned up in naples/marseilles to completely take over a site they would be lynched!its typical of this country that we allow it,knowing the way the handwringing ,liberal lefties are here they are probably on there way to lincs now to set up soup kitchens for the poor italians as we speak.its this kind of fiasco that contributes to people losing all faith in the u.k.

I can completely understand your point of view Pablo,and I agree with your sentiments about jobs for British workers,but I would be interested to know who you blame for it.

I mean wasn't it Tony Blair who signed Britain up to be part of the EU? I seem to remember hearing about an article in the Grimsby Telegraph a few years ago in which

Blair was described as one of the worlds best ever leaders.

If this is the legacy he has left does he deserve that title?

I would value your opnion ,you seem to be a proud Brit,and I wonder what you think about the state that your country is in at the moment/

BTW I also admit that Australia has heaps of problems as well so this isn't meant to be a Aus vs UK thing,not at all,I would just like to hear what a brit thinks is wrong,and what can be done about it to make Britain ,"Great" again.

I can completely understand your point of view Pablo,and I agree with your sentiments about jobs for British workers,but I would be interested to know who you blame for it.

I mean wasn't it Tony Blair who signed Britain up to be part of the EU? I seem to remember hearing about an article in the Grimsby Telegraph a few years ago in which

I would value your opnion ,you seem to be a proud Brit,and I wonder what you think about the state that your country is in at the moment/

BTW I also admit that Australia has heaps of problems as well so this isn't meant to be a Aus vs UK thing,not at all,I would just like to hear what a brit thinks is wrong,and what can be done about it to make Britain ,"Great" again.

Peter Mandleson stood up in parliment yesterday and put his support behind Texaco who are employing the Italians/portugese, thats how much the government care about British workers in that part of the country. The reasons that were given were that the foreign workers were ready to rock straight away but the british workers would have to be trained! Blair new the time was right for him to jump ship and drop brown in it, and now we are all paying the price. andy

Guest proud2beaussie
Peter Mandleson stood up in parliment yesterday and put his support behind Texaco who are employing the Italians/portugese, thats how much the government care about British workers in that part of the country. The reasons that were given were that the foreign workers were ready to rock straight away but the british workers would have to be trained! Blair new the time was right for him to jump ship and drop brown in it, and now we are all paying the price. andy

What are the unions doing about it ? anything?

I can't imagine the CFMEU (Construction,Forestry,Mining,Energy Union) one of the biggest unions in Australia,even thinking about allowing that sort of thing here,there wouild be mass rallies everywhere, and if a

government minister allowed it to happen he would lose pre-selection for his seat at the next party conference.

Guest Tracy Murphy
Britan needs a system like Aus for emigration. strict but fair only allowing skill shortages to enter. Is part of the reason for going to Aus to get away from this culture.

I agree with you. It is about time we had a proper migration system that only allows in those people who have skills or can financially support themselves.

I'm all for freedom of movement...but not when it is movement in one direction....the UK. It seems that a large number of migrants come here and cannot support themselves. I'm happy to help those that come here for humanitarian grounds....but there is a lot of pee taking going on!!!!

Come on the UK....stand up and fight for your rights. If all else fails, come to OZ with the rest of us Brits on the run (lol). I've had enough!!!!!

Lovin the snow though!!!!!:biglaugh:

What are the unions doing about it ? anything?

I can't imagine the CFMEU (Construction,Forestry,Mining,Energy Union) one of the biggest unions in Australia,even thinking about allowing that sort of thing here,there wouild be mass rallies everywhere, and if a

government minister allowed it to happen he would lose pre-selection for his seat at the next party conference.

It is not Texaco as I said in my post but Total ( apologies ) Apparantly due to EU laws "it is difficult to see how the unions can protest about foreign workers being used " So basically the unions cant do a lot! I dont think anyone can blame the individuals for wanting to come to Britain to work, but it is a kick in the teeth for the brit workers. In 2008 there were 1.1 million foreign workers in Britain, and 250,000 brits working across the EU. andy

Guest earlswood

Brits will not stand for it....and after this I dare anyone firm to just bring in their own workers....good on those workers for standing up for BRITISH WORKERS.

Brits will not stand for it....and after this I dare anyone firm to just bring in their own workers....good on those workers for standing up for BRITISH WORKERS.

Well said Earlswood, it is time to stand up and be counted. andy:yes:

If all else fails we could talk about it over a cuppa tea and a couple of digestives!!!!!

Earl Grey and choccy digestives? andy:biggrin:

The problem comes about from EU laws which we are bound by, so Gordon Brown's "British jobs for British workers" was (yet another) governmental mis-statement. We are free to work in the EU (though I can't imagine groups of Brits being shipped into another EU country in this economic climate) and similarly EU workers are 'welcome' here.

It's tough, but we let international businesses line the governmental pockets of the day such that we signed up to join the EU and now there is no going back!

How long before the sterling is replaced by the euro?

Personally, I think that Britain still has many great things about it. Unfortunately, good strong government leadership is not one them!!

Guest Tracy Murphy
Earl Grey and choccy digestives? andy:biggrin:

Cor blimey, you is a bit posh wanting earl grey. I note the link to Earl...are we missing Earlswood by any chance...I note you are still looking for him.

Choccy digestives are a yes though!!

Flippin eck...been on internet over 1 hr...better get back to work!!!!!

I dont blame TOTAl tbh,all they are doing is maximising profits,exactly what any company would do "given the opportunity",i would be living in la la land if i expected them to hand the british building industry a boost,first of all i blame the main contractor JACOBS for subbying the work out to a foreign company,mainly because they have'nt insisted on a % of local labour being involved in the project.its a basic monetary fact that a lot of countries in the E.U have much cheaper living costs than the uk,so basically we will allways be open to this kind of thing,they can get the contracts because they pay less than the going uk wage for the trades in question,BUT even though the foreign tradesmen earn less than the uk equivalent its still more than they would earn or need in their own countries,so i guess unless every country in the E.U has the same living costs,same minimum wage laws( which will never happen ) this kind of thing will allways happen,i cant see any end to it,its a massive basic flaw in the whole concept of the E.U.,unless we have the same low cost of living in the UK that they have in poland,italy,and some of the other countries we will never be able to compete.as regards being a proud brit mate,a proud scouser yes,but i think the affinity and love of all things english is a lot less pronounced where im from tbh,that doesnt mean i dont understand those that "are" proud brits,just stating a fact that lpool in general isnt realy like that.as regards blair/brown and especially that halfwit mandelson(playing the race card,suprise!) and the labour party,im sick of them,it seems all they have done is create hundreds of thousands of public sector jobs in the NHS etc,yet it is worse than ever before imo,hundreds of thousands of penpushers with obscure job titles who contribute nothing to the country,im from a big labour stronghold tbh,but im sick to death of all the P.C laws and ott enforcement of them that labour has brought in.as regards to what can be done.......our govnmt could flout the rules the same as other gvnmts do,i.e the french and italians in particular,they look after their own people first and foremost,case in point ,a load of illegals who were rounded up by the italian gvnmt a while back,put on transporter planes and deported,if our gvnmt done that the streets would be full of the great unwashed protesting and handwringing,lying in front of the planes etc,but our gvnmt wouldnt do that anyway,our illegals would appeal about fifty times and drag it all out for years,in the meantime getting all their benefits etc. and no,im not getting involved in the oz/uk debate, some prefer oz,some prefer uk,its that simple to me.

Apathy,THIS is whats wrong with brits,17,000 members and 6 or 7 people have passed an opinion on this disgrace of a situation, thats the uk all over. if this forum was called "french in oz", hundreds would have had an opinion,99.9 % of the forum cant even be arsed feigning anger,let alone showing any real indignation over it. AND THATS WHY BRITS WILL ALLWAYS HAVE THE PI## TAKEN OUT OF THEM,END OF!

Apathy,THIS is whats wrong with brits,6 or 7 people have passed an opinion on this disgrace of a situation, thats the uk all over. if this forum was called "french in oz", hundreds would have had an opinion,99.9 % of the forum cant even be arsed feigning anger,let alone showing any real indignation over it. AND THATS WHY BITS WILL ALLWAYS HAVE THE PI## TAKEN OUT OF THEM,END OF!

Breathe in, Breathe out, breathe in, breath out

Guest Sebbers

Another point of debate it seems that whilst the gvt is crying out that there is a shortage of tradesman in the building industry why haven't they pumped money into our industry like they have with the banks, car & steel industry are we about to become members of the forgotton industry in the uk?

Lets not forget that most of the eastern europeans that entered the uk were employed within the building industry thus driving down standards, pay, health & safety do I need to say anymore.

James

Another point of debate it seems that whilst the gvt is crying out that there is a shortage of tradesman in the building industry why haven't they pumped money into our industry like they have with the banks, car & steel industry are we about to become members of the forgotton industry in the uk?

Lets not forget that most of the eastern europeans that entered the uk were employed within the building industry thus driving down standards, pay, health & safety do I need to say anymore.

James

we have allways been,and will allways be looked on as casual labour mate.agree with all you say.

James

Hi James, welcome to pio, hopefully this recession will see the back of a lot of eastern europeans and bring standards back up. On the same sort of line I myself have employed several english lads and they have all been next to useless, to engrossed in there phones or new trainers, so labour has been hard to come by, so far as a matter of principle I have not employed foreign labour.andy

Guest proud2beaussie
I dont blame TOTAl tbh,all they are doing is maximising profits,exactly what any company would do "given the opportunity",i would be living in la la land if i expected them to hand the british building industry a boost,first of all i blame the main contractor JACOBS for subbying the work out to a foreign company,mainly because they have'nt insisted on a % of local labour being involved in the project.its a basic monetary fact that a lot of countries in the E.U have much cheaper living costs than the uk,so basically we will allways be open to this kind of thing,they can get the contracts because they pay less than the going uk wage for the trades in question,BUT even though the foreign tradesmen earn less than the uk equivalent its still more than they would earn or need in their own countries,so i guess unless every country in the E.U has the same living costs,same minimum wage laws( which will never happen ) this kind of thing will allways happen,i cant see any end to it,its a massive basic flaw in the whole concept of the E.U.,unless we have the same low cost of living in the UK that they have in poland,italy,and some of the other countries we will never be able to compete.as regards being a proud brit mate,a proud scouser yes,but i think the affinity and love of all things english is a lot less pronounced where im from tbh,that doesnt mean i dont understand those that "are" proud brits,just stating a fact that lpool in general isnt realy like that.as regards blair/brown and especially that halfwit mandelson(playing the race card,suprise!) and the labour party,im sick of them,it seems all they have done is create hundreds of thousands of public sector jobs in the NHS etc,yet it is worse than ever before imo,hundreds of thousands of penpushers with obscure job titles who contribute nothing to the country,im from a big labour stronghold tbh,but im sick to death of all the P.C laws and ott enforcement of them that labour has brought in.as regards to what can be done.......our govnmt could flout the rules the same as other gvnmts do,i.e the french and italians in particular,they look after their own people first and foremost,case in point ,a load of illegals who were rounded up by the italian gvnmt a while back,put on transporter planes and deported,if our gvnmt done that the streets would be full of the great unwashed protesting and handwringing,lying in front of the planes etc,but our gvnmt wouldnt do that anyway,our illegals would appeal about fifty times and drag it all out for years,in the meantime getting all their benefits etc. and no,im not getting involved in the oz/uk debate, some prefer oz,some prefer uk,its that simple to me.

Great post,Pablo,Thank You.

The mistake was signing up with the EU and being able to work anywhere in the EU - I wonder how many brits took advantage of that? We all knew that people would flock to the UK because of all it would provide. You can't knock the people who come - they wanted a better life/more money - it's human nature, but someone at the top needs to do something. Brits are feeling margionalised and ignored in their own country ... and it's the fault of the politicians

Ali

different twist don't throw the arrows to hard at me, when the shift came to relieve me from work last night I had to hand some work over to them and they went mad. My god they had come to work and had to do some work. Is this why we are importing so many migrants cos they just get on with the job. We have apparently had it so good for so long and all these foreign workers are coming over here for the good times. Could you have imagined them coming over during the miners / pit workers strikes they would have been lynched.

Archived