british jobs for british people,lmao

pablo

Guest Dunnmaster

The problem is when Tony Blair signed us up when these eastern european joined the EU he did not like most other countries put in immigration limits which he could have done( the tories begged him to do). So whereas other countries can just say no we cant (apparently)

My last 3 jobs i should have been in (over last 10 weeks) have all been lost to cheap labour the last one in aberdeen (2years work) where a firm who employs Mexicans just came in and said whatever the price we will undercut it by £100,000 so it is just not eastern europe but a problem with this goverments at***ude to british workers.

Sorry for the rant but just feel totally betrayed by a government that puts the right of foreigners above our own. Now been out of work for 10 weeks and no sign of any and i have not been out of work since i started at 16 (now 45)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. Just so we are blaming the right person, it was Ted Heath whose signature took us in to the EU. The following extract is from the BBC website (hopefully I'm allowed to borrow it?)

1st January 1973: The United Kingdom has become a fully-fledged member of the European Economic Community.

Ireland and Denmark also joined Britain in becoming the newest members of the community, bringing the total number of member states to nine.

At midnight last night a Union Jack flag was raised at the EEC's headquarters in Brussels to mark the occasion.

Celebrations were held in the city and one of Britain's new European Commissioners, George Thomson, joined revellers in a torch lit procession.

Prime Minister Edward Heath is optimistic that Britain's membership of the community will bring prosperity to the country.

He said: "It is going to be a gradual development and obviously things are not going to happen overnight.

"But from the point of view of our everyday lives we will find there is a great cross-fertilisation of knowledge and information, not only in business but in every other sphere. "And this will enable us to be more efficient and more competitive in gaining more markets not only in Europe but in the rest of the world."

My questions now are: has that promised prosperity been and gone and have we been cross-fertilised yet?

Guest Dunnmaster
Hi. Just so we are blaming the right person, it was Ted Heath whose signature took us in to the EU. The following extract is from the BBC website (hopefully I'm allowed to borrow it?)

1st January 1973: The United Kingdom has become a fully-fledged member of the European Economic Community.

Ireland and Denmark also joined Britain in becoming the newest members of the community, bringing the total number of member states to nine.

At midnight last night a Union Jack flag was raised at the EEC's headquarters in Brussels to mark the occasion.

Celebrations were held in the city and one of Britain's new European Commissioners, George Thomson, joined revellers in a torch lit procession.

Prime Minister Edward Heath is optimistic that Britain's membership of the community will bring prosperity to the country.

He said: "It is going to be a gradual development and obviously things are not going to happen overnight.

"But from the point of view of our everyday lives we will find there is a great cross-fertilisation of knowledge and information, not only in business but in every other sphere. "And this will enable us to be more efficient and more competitive in gaining more markets not only in Europe but in the rest of the world."

My questions now are: has that promised prosperity been and gone and have we been cross-fertilised yet?

Sorry not on about when we joined EU it was when eastern European became member states in europe 2004 and we had a chance to sign an agreement to limit the no of migrant workers we allowed in. We along with i think Norway and Ireland did not sign the agreement so we cannot limit the number of workers but the rest of europe can. Tony Blair opted not to sign.

Guest sparkyinoz

I do completely agree, Its unreal how they can bring in foreign labour as times are hard for the british workers..............

BUT what will any one do !!!!!!!! talk about it moan moan moan......... The government shoud step in and say NO but do they ?? How could they let foreign companies tender for such a large contract .....

Britain needs to keep more stuff in house and not let any one move in...........

I guess thats why I feel OZ is on the right track with skilled visa requirements u have something to offer then maybe u will get in ????????????

Guest proud2beaussie

Sorry Kate but the EU is a completely different body to the EEC,the laws that we are talking about relating to foreign labour are a part of the EU Treaty which Tony Blair signed,the EEC was basically a body set up to encourage free trade amongst European nations and it had no clauses about foreign labour.so afraid you cant blame Heath.

I do completely agree, Its unreal how they can bring in foreign labour as times are hard for the british workers..............

BUT what will any one do !!!!!!!! talk about it moan moan moan......... The government shoud step in and say NO but do they ?? How could they let foreign companies tender for such a large contract .....

Britain needs to keep more stuff in house and not let any one move in...........

I guess thats why I feel OZ is on the right track with skilled visa requirements u have something to offer then maybe u will get in ????????????

Thats a great point sparky, you do not really have to offer to much to get into Britain, apart from a criminal record, and 10 kids!:biglaugh:

Sorry Kate but the EU is a completely different body to the EEC,the laws that we are talking about relating to foreign labour are a part of the EU Treaty which Tony Blair signed,the EEC was basically a body set up to encourage free trade amongst European nations and it had no clauses about foreign labour.so afraid you cant blame Heath.

But didn't the EU come about from and through the EEC the EC?

Sue x

But didn't the EU come about from and through the EEC the EC?

Sue x

Its kind of an extension of it sue yes, but from what i understand it was more to do with europe forming one large trading base to enable it to compete with the likes of the USA,import/export kind of thing, nigelinoz is saying that it has now been taken one step further,i.e freedom of movement,any "european" being allowed to work in any eu country etc, this is a reletively new development,as are a lot of the eu rules that are now imposed on us. we had the chance to impose labour restrictions,as a lot of countries did,we chose not to!

To be honest, I gave up on the UK looking after the interests of UK citizens years ago. It was one of the reasons why we migrated nearly 8 years ago, and nothing I have heard or read since makes me think we did the wrong thing.

If anything the situation in the old country has deteriorated - I have no faith in the people who run the UK to make a decision that would be in my interests, nor those of many others.

All of which explains why the numbers departing the UK are so high. And in so doing the demographic of the country changes, exacerbating the problems.

Best regards.

just typical though andy,im all right jack and all that,it will never change,futile even hoping it does mate

Just wanted to share this poem with you, that can be adapted to fit anyone really.

When the Nazis came for the communists,

I remained silent;

I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,

I remained silent;

I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,

I did not speak out;

I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,

I remained silent;

I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,

there was no one left to speak out.

Heard a version of it years ago and it stuck in my head.

Sue x

Guest earlswood
The mistake was signing up with the EU and being able to work anywhere in the EU - I wonder how many brits took advantage of that? We all knew that people would flock to the UK because of all it would provide. You can't knock the people who come - they wanted a better life/more money - it's human nature, but someone at the top needs to do something. Brits are feeling margionalised and ignored in their own country ... and it's the fault of the politicians

Ali

No....best thing we ever did.

Anyway...........the lads stuck up for themselves and it "looks like" they have had some kind of result,50%of the workforce will now be local labour,or so they say!good luck to them,its just a pity our gvnmt could'nt have intervened first,fat chance of that!

Guest earlswood
Apathy,THIS is whats wrong with brits,17,000 members and 6 or 7 people have passed an opinion on this disgrace of a situation, thats the uk all over. if this forum was called "french in oz", hundreds would have had an opinion,99.9 % of the forum cant even be arsed feigning anger,let alone showing any real indignation over it. AND THATS WHY BRITS WILL ALLWAYS HAVE THE PI## TAKEN OUT OF THEM,END OF!

But also admired as the most fair and democratic Country in the world....nuff said..

But also admired as the most fair and demogratic Country in the world.

exactly! and thats why we will allways have the piss taken out of us,F### plattitudes off people who are laffing at us and abusing our "fair" system/attitude,look after our own first,END OF,and btw earl.........i think you have a brit view of what the rest of the world thinks of us,i think you will find the rest of the world doesnt admire us

Guest earlswood
exactly! and thats why we will allways have the piss taken out of us,F### plattitudes off people who are laffing at us and abusing our "fair" system/attitude,look after our own first,END OF

we do stick by the EU rules when others are taking the ****...I agree.

we do stick by the EU rules when others are taking the piss...I agree.

thats my point,i couldnt give a toss about being seen as a fair country,fair to a lot of europeans means naive/lets take the pi## out of them,and thats exactly what happens,ive worked with eatern europeans who openly admit they couldnt get away with what they do here in any other country,to me that just makes us dic#####s,not fair!

We'll soon be having "Australian jobs for Australians".

Don't kid yourselves that because you're a pom or "skilled" that somehow it won't mean you. You will be taking a job off an Australian or worse still bludging off the state... like all those other bloody immigrants. :biglaugh:

We'll soon be having "Australian jobs for Australians".

Don't kid yourselves that because you're a pom or "skilled" that somehow it won't mean you. You will be taking a job off an Australian or worse still bludging off the state... like all those other bloody immigrants. :biglaugh:

if theres no jobs for us then fair enuf,if the aussies give preference to aussies fair enuf,logical i say,im not a hypocrite,btw...........as far as im aware we wouldnt get "dole" anyway,or medical help for free,so dont class the people moving over to oz the same as the freeloading f#####s who come over here,did they all go through two years of stress,paperwork,and thousands of pounds to get here?nah

if theres no jobs for us then fair enuf,if the aussies give preference to aussies fair enuf,logical i say,im not a hypocrite,btw...........as far as im aware we wouldnt get "dole" anyway,or medical help for free,so dont class the people moving over to oz the same as the freeloading f#####s who come over here,did they all go through two years of stress,paperwork,and thousands of pounds to get here?nah

You will get medical help to the same extent as Aussies do. Your family may get some welfare assistance (although not sure?) even though you won't get dole.

These freeloaders you speak of are fellow EU citizens whether you like it or not. :smile: Entitled to live anywhere within the EU just as you are.

The paperwork, stress, expense and hassle you're going through now, is pretty similar to that which other non EU nationals have to go through to get into the UK and most other countries. Ask an Aussie who has tried to emmigrate to the UK what its like. One I knew of was returned to Aus in handcuffs.

However my original point is... you will very likely be on the receiving end of these sort of anti-immigrant comments very soon as recession starts to bite hard. :smile:

You will get medical help to the same extent as Aussies do. Your family may get some welfare assistance (although not sure?) even though you won't get dole.

These freeloaders you speak of are fellow EU citizens whether you like it or not. :smile: Entitled to live anywhere within the EU just as you are.

The paperwork, stress, expense and hassle you're going through now, is pretty similar to that which other non EU nationals have to go through to get into the UK and most other countries. Ask an Aussie who has tried to emmigrate to the UK what its like. One I knew of was returned to Aus in handcuffs.

However my original point is... you will very likely be on the receiving end of these sort of anti-immigrant comments very soon as recession starts to bite hard.

It would be interesting to know how many foreign workers in Britain went through the same rigorous system to work and live here as we have to to live elsewhere, I dont know the answer but would be willing to bet it is very few. Also a big proportion of those working are illegal and have no right to be here. I have witnessed this first hand over the last 2 years with jobs i have had in London. I have been into builders merchants where there has been every other nationality apart from Brits, and you can bet your life most of these are illegal and not putting anything back into the system. Britain is a free loaders paradise, and not just from others, there is plenty going on in house as well and until it is sorted we as a country are F**ked. I am now preparing myself for a barrage of insults, so bring it on! :yes:

However my original point is... you will very likely be on the receiving end of these sort of anti-immigrant comments very soon as recession starts to bite hard. :smile:

There not anti immigrant comments,they are pro british comments, theres a difference,as regards comparing paperwork to get into the uk if your european to the paperwork brits have to do to get into oz,theres a world of difference,what paperwork does a european have to submit? can we / do we refuse them entry with a criminal record?no, do we refuse them entry if they have aids for instance?no..........in fact if they have aids we HAVE to take them!do they have to pay immi £1000?no. vetasses tests?no,medicals?no.trying to compare what brits have to go through to get into oz to what europeans have to do to get into the uk is like comparing ann widdecombe to salma hayek.i fully expect to get anti immigrant comments,if its justified,then fair enuf,the thing is ,im going on a recce to find out if im needed/wanted,if im not,i wont be going.if i am wanted,then probably i will be going,and whatever the aussies want to dish out they will get back,and more. i wont go anywhere and take peoples jobs,i also wont go anywhere and undercut the native workforce by 50% either,unlike some of these europeans,its not how we do things where im from.

There not anti immigrant comments,they are pro british comments, theres a difference,as regards comparing paperwork to get into the uk if your european to the paperwork brits have to do to get into oz,theres a world of difference,what paperwork does a european have to submit? can we / do we refuse them entry with a criminal record?no, do we refuse them entry if they have aids for instance?no..........in fact if they have aids we HAVE to take them!do they have to pay immi £1000?no. vetasses tests?no,medicals?no.trying to compare what brits have to go through to get into oz to what europeans have to do to get into the uk is like comparing ann widdecombe to salma hayek.i fully expect to get anti immigrant comments,if its justified,then fair enuf,the thing is ,im going on a recce to find out if im needed/wanted,if im not,i wont be going.if i am wanted,then probably i will be going,and whatever the aussies want to dish out they will get back,and more. i wont go anywhere and take peoples jobs,i also wont go anywhere and undercut the native workforce by 50% either,unlike some of these europeans,its not how we do things where im from.

:smile:

Why is it that some Brits can't get their head around federal Europe?

You can live in any part of the EU you choose to and the same goes for all other Europeans who are part of the EU. Its just the same as federal Australia. You can choose to move to any of the other states if you want to at any time.

Federal Europe is a system which benefits all Europeans including Brits. Without it the UK is some insignificant (albeit moderately wealthy) little island experiencing gradual growing insignificance on the world stage.

If you don't come from an EU country then getting a residence visa for the UK is (or at least certainly was) a very difficult thing to achieve. You had to have something like a PhD, or a very particular skill to stand any chance. In fact the only realistic way to gain residency was through marriage or humanitarian for the great majority of people. For an Australian marriage was the only way (unless their parents/grandparents are British citizens by birth).

As for undercutting the locals? That's exactly what you will do indirectly. Business tells the federal gov what skills it is short of (ie currently expensive). Then priority is given to these skill groups to flood the Australian market and through simple 'supply and demand' labour costs are reduced to meet business expectations. I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all, competition is good for all of us ultimately but don't kid yourself that somehow you're not part of a labour cost control and minimisation. :smile:

Guest JoanneHattersley
If you don't come from an EU country then getting a residence visa for the UK is (or at least certainly was) a very difficult thing to achieve

None of us know exactly what procedures immigrants go through to get into UK. HAs anyone on here done it? Can any agents enlighten us please??

All I know is that I am glad that I am in a country that took me nearly 9 months to get into. I am glad that they take their immigration seriously. I am glad that they vet everyone.

As for undercutting the locals? That's exactly what you will do indirectly.

I agree with FatPom. Its the same here. We are all immigrants here!!! I walked into an australian job when I got here. Infact they held it for me for 4 months as they couldnt find an australian to fill it!

Guest proud2beaussie
Its just the same as federal Australia. You can choose to move to any of the other states if you want to at any time

Actually it's very different because the Australian states are all part of one country,which is not the system with the EU,and also even if you move states in Australia you will not (apart from minor differences) be paid any different for your work than any other Australian,yes there are state awards for some occupations but basically if I as a chef choose to work in Sydney instead of Hobart then I will be paid the same .that is very different to EU workers being paid significantly less than a Brit for the same job.

I did some research last year and found out that around 65% of all London pubs are employing illegal immigrants and paying them less than the minimum wage,in preference to hiring British workers,

None of us know exactly what procedures immigrants go through to get into UK. HAs anyone on here done it? Can any agents enlighten us please??

I looked into this some years ago (beginning of Blair & Howard era) due to a colleagues surprise at whats required for a pom to get into Aus. It was much harder then than now. I realised I had no idea about immgration to UK.

At that time the UK generally had a zero immigration policy except for special groups such as visiting academics, senior medical specialists, religious leaders, Equity sponsored artists, company transfers at senior levels and such like. The biggest other groups would have been humanitarian I guess with probably spouse visa's to follow. They were still allowed in of course.

Today its probably changed??? But I'm willing to bet its still quite difficult for non EU citizens.

I vaguely recall some years ago the announcement of the system opening up a little to include the highly qualified (Masters grads upwards???) and a points based system like ours but it might only have been for discussion?

Archived