Guest James.S

e

well how are you getting on wit the gap training? eprofiling system? you think it can be completed within the year?

I should have my complete around the 8 month mark due to working overtime and doing differant types of work, but it all depends on how quickly i get the capstone done and receive the results then license which knowing everything else probably wont be quick. Still not finished the homework but i am doing a bit every night now until its done! There is a lot of it especially when you are trying to settle in to a new country with a young family!!

It may be a problem, i know vetasses require a full apprenticeship and i have heard of people having problems with gaining an artc due to not having completed an apprenticeship.

It does state in the guidelines if you have not completed a apprenticeship, you could supply 7 years work experience in your trade which i do have but some of it is self employed as a subby, and working for local builders and general public.

Hi I am just looking for some of your help on here, I have read a few pages on this thread but all the abbreviations and pages make it hard to find what I am looking for.

I have a 1 year working holiday for Australia I will be leaving this June, I would very much like to find any Electrical work. I have worked as a electrician for 15 Years doing everything from containment in industrial to domestic & some data, most of this work I have been self employed. I dont have a apprenticeship but I I have the city & guilds 2360 level 3 and 17th edition and a few electronic city and guilds. I would quite happily work under someone as a mate if necessary, I dont plan on taking my own jobs on just work for other people. Is there anything I can do to make things easier before I go in june?

thanks

Hi all,

Its my first post, so please go easy.

Completed my city&guilds apprenticeship around 4 years ago.

Been thinking of travelling to aus for x amount of months to see how i find it. If i like it, then i'll apply for a working visa and then see what happens.

You read so many different views on what it takes/needs to work as a spark in Aus.

I wouldnt mind working as a trade assistant while things are in process, and also i feel you'll get an understanding of what it takes to spark in Aus without putting too much pressure on yourself.

Could some explain to me what the actual process is from getting in as a TA to becoming a spark.

Heres a few other questions that would be really handy to have answered....

How hard are the exams in Aus to get your license?

Cost from TA to spark?

Time it takes from TA to Spark?

Difficulty in finding work in WA/Sydney?

Is the standard of sparking higher in Aus than England?

Is it hard to survive on a TA's wage?

Any other pointers would be great.

Many thanks

hi all, im a 22 year old control systems wireman. Completed an advanced apprenticeship with btec national certificate amognst other qualifications and im looking at going to aus for a year on a WHV. Will employers in the control panel industry consider employing me with my UK qualifications, or do i need to get them changed over? Just wondering because it seems expensive for one year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Well if you go on a WHV you would apply to the TRA which you do when you get there. It can take up to 3 months, then you do a 1 week nobody can fail course and that's it. The TRA application is a watered down version of the vetassess paper application, you need to provide proof of apprenticeship, references and declaration about your work activities (If you look at another migration site called british expats theres an electricians forum in there with a lot of info on the TRA application). But........... You can only do this in WA and SA currently, and you can work in NSW without a license, all the other states make you do gap training as well. I was told it was getting changed in WA to gap training for all soon but wether it does or not is anybodys guess. They seem to change the system state to state a lot. If you are intending on coming long term then you would be better jumping through the hoops and getting PR as you may find an employer to sponsor you but if you lose the job you have 28 days to find another and i personally wouldn't like an employer to have that kind of hold over me. Its a minefield and it depends on where you go and it could change by the time you get there!

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get this nailed down. Can I get a WHV travel to perth and get an "A" license in a 3 month course and later return to Australia on a PRV and not need to do a 1 year GAP as I already have my A license?

If so were can I apply for the 3 month course in perth to do this?

I'm just trying to work this out because this would make life abit easier for me and atleast I could do some more travelling then staying I'm one place for 1 year.

Cheers for reading

Hi there. this is a massive thread so im just going to ask a couple q's. hope someone can help.

im in perth and i've just got my provisional from energy safety. it also has the next step on there which is the gap training course (at the balga campus). im trying to find out if that once i've completed this 2 week course can then i apply for an A class licence??? my company is desperate for me to get it asap but i'm hearing that i have to do a yr experience. which i think is a load of old tosh really.

Thanks

Hi there. this is a massive thread so im just going to ask a couple q's. hope someone can help.

im in perth and i've just got my provisional from energy safety. it also has the next step on there which is the gap training course (at the balga campus). im trying to find out if that once i've completed this 2 week course can then i apply for an A class licence??? my company is desperate for me to get it asap but i'm hearing that i have to do a yr experience. which i think is a load of old tosh really.

Thanks

Well that depends on if you have an OSTR (vetassess) or an ARTC, ARTC yes, OSTR 1 year gap training, logbook, homework and trade test.

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get this nailed down. Can I get a WHV travel to perth and get an "A" license in a 3 month course and later return to Australia on a PRV and not need to do a 1 year GAP as I already have my A license?

If so were can I apply for the 3 month course in perth to do this?

I'm just trying to work this out because this would make life abit easier for me and atleast I could do some more travelling then staying I'm one place for 1 year.

Cheers for reading

Its a 1 week or 2 week course but an artc will take about 3 months from applying from what i hear but this loophole may close, then again it may not!

H all,

first post so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place. We got to Australia on Tuesday, I'm on a permanent residency visa. In the UK I worked in the switchgear industry, building lv panels of all shapes and sizes. I'd been doing it for nearly 22 years but I have no formal qualification in the building or the theory behind it all, I was thrown in a deep end and worked and learnt as I went.

our main priority was getting to Australia so a job has sort of taken the back seat prior to getting everything else sorted to get here. But now I need to start looking and am beyond clueless.

Could I start with a few basic questions?

Without qualifications, is it even worth trying to find a job in the same industry? Am I going to be retraining to to do a job I can already do? Just a quick look round has left be struggling, my wife suggested finding companies and sending a letter of interest along with my CV. Would this be a good way to start?

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Vetassess is only for visa purposes. Once you get here you will still need an ARTC to apply for a licence.

Thats not true. Vetassess is for migration but it gives you your provisional license same as ARTC but some states WA, SA have a kind of loophole that allows ARTC holders to do a 1 week course. If you have a Vetassess OSTR you are not allowed to apply for an ARTC and if caught doing this you could be refused the provisional license alltogether.

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/energysafety/PDF/Forms/R098_1112_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Thats not true. Vetassess is for migration but it gives you your provisional license same as ARTC but some states WA, SA have a kind of loophole that allows ARTC holders to do a 1 week course. If you have a Vetassess OSTR you are not allowed to apply for an ARTC and if caught doing this you could be refused the provisional license alltogether.

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/energysafety/PDF/Forms/R098_1112_Fact_Sheet.pdf

I do apologise i got it wrong, when my OH did it Electricians were assessed by TRA and you still had to get an ARTC and I thought it was the same. I will know to keep my mouth shut in future.

Do I have to Have a apprenticeship to do any of these courses? or will the city and guilds qualification 2360 level 3 be ok and my experience actually doing the job?

can i apply for this ARTC before I leave the uk, I am going on a WHV

also where do I find this application form , I have searched the net and there are loads of different forms/websites, can i do it online?

Edited by chrisb6363

i've spoke to the tutor of the college that i have enrolled in. he says i have to do a 2 wk gap training course and complete a log book (E profiling ) then do a final exam. i said how long will it take to get my A class licence, he said depending on my log book it could be 5 months to a yr.

does anyone know if the log book is easy to complete quickly?

they are crying out for trades but they make it as difficult as possible to get a licence to work. i wouldnt mind but some of the stuff they do is rough as f**k.

thanks again for your help

I am doing the same thing and i reckon i will complete the logbook in around 7months but i average at least 45- 50 hrs a week. The key for me really will be how quickly i can get the final exam booked, i am going to find out about this soon as the TAFE has been shut for summer holidays. But i wouldn't be surprised if there's a 3 month wait for the Capstone as its the same as the Australian apprentices do so will probably be booked well in advance!

i've spoke to the tutor of the college that i have enrolled in. he says i have to do a 2 wk gap training course and complete a log book (E profiling ) then do a final exam. i said how long will it take to get my A class licence, he said depending on my log book it could be 5 months to a yr.

does anyone know if the log book is easy to complete quickly?

they are crying out for trades but they make it as difficult as possible to get a licence to work. i wouldnt mind but some of the stuff they do is rough as f**k.

thanks again for your help

Some of the stuff...? Don't you mean all of it...?

Hi there lads,

Uk Sparkie in Perth here,

Just wondering if theres any sparks in Perth who have done the one day practical exam for permanent migration. Was feeling pretty confident but now its comin up to a week away, slightly bricking it!! Really just wanna get it passed first time so I can go on to get permanent residency. So any heads up would be greatly appreciated. The switchboard design and test, sounds pretty straight forward, the DOL starter and three phase motor circuits including stop/start station, thermal overloads business is a little daunting, any idea what the pracs like?? If anyone could give me any ideas on what to squat up on or a detailed day from when they went, that would be of great help!!!!

Thanks everyone

Si

I am doing the same thing and i reckon i will complete the logbook in around 7months but i average at least 45- 50 hrs a week. The key for me really will be how quickly i can get the final exam booked, i am going to find out about this soon as the TAFE has been shut for summer holidays. But i wouldn't be surprised if there's a 3 month wait for the Capstone as its the same as the Australian apprentices do so will probably be booked well in advance!

does the logbook require evidence? can it be lets say..........fabricated? i'm going to ring TRA tomorrow and see if i can still go down that route. this way is just all over the top.

does the logbook require evidence? can it be lets say..........fabricated? i'm going to ring TRA tomorrow and see if i can still go down that route. this way is just all over the top.

The logbook has to be signed off by your employer and i believe they can also be audited from time to time as well so the answer would be no unless your employer wanted to risk it. The TRA will tell you that you are not allowed to apply for an ARTC and that if you do you risk your license being revoked completely. Although someone said they got away with it on another forum. They do love to make you do courses and stuff here. You need a ticket to take a dump here.

Might sound like a silly question, would the logbook need to be signed off by an Australian employer? I will be working on a ship.

I would like to do the logbook and eventually work in the Oil & Gas industry of Australia instead of abroad but I'm not going to quit my international maritime job to take up domestic sparky work.

The logbook has to be signed off by your employer and i believe they can also be audited from time to time as well so the answer would be no unless your employer wanted to risk it. The TRA will tell you that you are not allowed to apply for an ARTC and that if you do you risk your license being revoked completely. Although someone said they got away with it on another forum. They do love to make you do courses and stuff here. You need a ticket to take a dump here.

yes the TRA shot me down. I'm going to go into the energy safety office and ask what i can do to avoid this logbook shite. i need to be qualified like yesterday. references from my employer will hopefully be the answer.

Also i tried to register for an eprofile but my employer and college was not on the list? any ideas?