Guest James.S

Hi dunki,

They will send them to the uk, that's what I did. There are about 5 books including the wiring rules book and a work folder to complete. Better with the hard copies from them I would say as they are needed for the revision week and can be used in the exams. I think if you had your own winging rules book it was about $100 cheaper. There was a couple of people there with older versions, not sure what the differences where.

Peter

I think I have lost post here. I know I wrote it, I just can't remember actually posting it. Never mind. Thanks for the answer Peter. 5 books indeed, 130-170$, 600$ for all. Course is 790. But from Peer they did emphasize a fact that it will be difficult to transfer SA license to Victorian. But, I've just discovered that I can get SA provisional license with fitter ARTC. Any opinions is it of any worth paying 388$ for this? Nothing holds me in Vic anyway, so I wouldn't mind to look for work in Adelaide. Actually, there is one small thing holding me in Vic, the fact I've promised to stay here for 2 years, being on State Sponsored visa. Well, what to say, that's not holding really well.

Yeah, it was very straight forward and easy to arrange, I just hope nothing changes before I get to do the course, as last year I think it was September time they changed the rules and OTSR holders could nt do the two week course and had to do 12 month log book route and then just before Xmas they changed their minds again and allowed the two week course to be used by OTSR holders, so my fingers are crossed nothing changes for the time being. I am waiting to hear from an agency about a fifo job, but I'm not too worried about finding work, I think something will come along once there and I have the a grade licence, no point in worrying bout it. Good luck with your final stage of your visa application.

hi there we got r visa grand yesterday, so just getting these forms filled in, any word back from ur application?

Guest getmetooz

Hey all im Steve.

Firstly i have to say this thread has helped me out soooo much its unreal, sooo much hassle involved but going to be well worth it.. just a quick one, does anyone have any of the books needed for the etl exam that there looking to get rid of??

I think I have lost post here. I know I wrote it, I just can't remember actually posting it. Never mind. Thanks for the answer Peter. 5 books indeed, 130-170$, 600$ for all. Course is 790. But from Peer they did emphasize a fact that it will be difficult to transfer SA license to Victorian. But, I've just discovered that I can get SA provisional license with fitter ARTC. Any opinions is it of any worth paying 388$ for this? Nothing holds me in Vic anyway, so I wouldn't mind to look for work in Adelaide. Actually, there is one small thing holding me in Vic, the fact I've promised to stay here for 2 years, being on State Sponsored visa. Well, what to say, that's not holding really well.

Hi,

Not sure about Victoria at the moment, a friend of mine swapped from SA to vic but it was a while ago, getting on for two years ago. Mechanic is the better ARTC cert to get apparently.

As an update, I received my ARTC elec mechanic cert last week, copied it and posted to Adelaide on Thursday and got a call today with license number for SA, card should be here in a few days. They said you can work with the number until card arrives.

Peter.

Hey all im Steve.

Firstly i have to say this thread has helped me out soooo much its unreal, sooo much hassle involved but going to be well worth it.. just a quick one, does anyone have any of the books needed for the etl exam that there looking to get rid of??

Probably better to get a set. They are handy to keep, they are all reference books. May need them one day, even if it's just in case you run out of bog roll.

Guest getmetooz

hi all!! does anyone know the best place to purchase all the necessary books i need to complete the ETL course

Hi I'm an electrican from uk looking to come to oz on a 12 month work holiday visa... Ideally looking for a 475 and sponsorship but the time frame is too small as want to leave beginning of January. Wondering if I come and find an employer, could I change my visa to a 475 and do my various courses to get my licence?

Im currently from a marine/ aggregate/ petrochemical background, is there this sort of work available in the Queensland/ Victoria region?

hi all,

we are moving next week to sydney. unfortunatly the gap training course i was due to start on the 16th has now been cancelled due to low attendance!! does anyone know of anywhere else i can do the Minimum Australian Context GAP training course for people who have done the vetassess? or is there another way i can get my electricans licence?

thanks

Guest richardr87

Is it possible to get your skills assessed over in Australia while on a working holiday visa and maybe working as a trade assistant ?

Theres so much information its bamboozling my brain but after recently being made redundant I am very interested in trying Australia. I have looked at 457 visa in which you need sponsorship before you go but see that you can only work for the same employer for 6 months so wondered do companies tend to sponsor you if you can only work for them for 6 months ?

This is why I thought maybe I could come over on a 12 month visa try and suss things out and get my licensing sorted while over there ? Or take the skills assesment here in UK before doing anything ? I cant get a permanent visa as just passed my AM2 18 months ago so only have 18 month qualified experience and been told you need 3 years. Any help on this from someone who has had experience would be much appreciated and sorry if this has been posted many times before.

Thanks

Richard

I was reading the electricians forum just now on british expats site and seen some posts that the ostr route now needs 12 months gap training. I am arriving in Perth at the begining of August. I have applied for my Provisional license and am waiting on energy safe to send it, they emailed me today saying i did not send all my vetassess paperwork which i have now sent so hopefully i will receive it soon so i can book the course. But the thought of having to work on low pay for 12 months fills me with dread as i have a family to support. Has anyone arrived in Perth lately that can confirm this?

Yeah thats the worst with these forums you hear a lot of different things . I guess we will only really know for sure when we arrive. If i have to do 12 months gap training then fair enough. I can accept that i have to retrain as it is a different country etc , I dont expect to walk off the plane and be top of the tree. If the Uk had been a bit more like Australia our construction industry wouldn't be such a mess

Guest deanoc

hey guys.

Im just wondering did any of ye guys get your A grade license in victoria.Im in melbourne and will be doing the course and tests soon. 16/07/12.If anyone has the regs books and wants to sell them i'll buy them second hand.not much use after the test i reckon,unless your going out on your own.I dont think victoria accept SA licenses anymore.

Kind regards

Dean C

Yeah thats the worst with these forums you hear a lot of different things . I guess we will only really know for sure when we arrive. If i have to do 12 months gap training then fair enough. I can accept that i have to retrain as it is a different country etc , I dont expect to walk off the plane and be top of the tree. If the Uk had been a bit more like Australia our construction industry wouldn't be such a mess

A bit more lie australia In what way.? Have you ever worked in oz.

Guest garyheidi7
hi there we got r visa grand yesterday, so just getting these forms filled in, any word back from ur application?

Hi sorry I haven't been on here for a while. Congratulations on getting your visa granted. We arrived in Perth a week ago, and have been trying to get a rental which is a nightmare! So haven't even thought about the licensing much, will go up to Balcatta on Monday to get the books needed, there is a lot of jobs here so there seems I applied for a couple and had phone calls the following morning they weren't for electricians they were for fire alarm technicians, but isn't really what I want as the money is nt fantastic and even both interviewers said to go for electrical work as they pay far better, although I think without the licence it's pretty hard to get in any where, but like I said I have nt really looked into work too much, but will do next week and see what's around for electricians on the restricted permit. Otherwise will have to wait till I get my licence unfortunately. Good luck on the restricted permit application.

yea iv heard that about the rentals alright.. they may start building more houses to accommodate all these poms coming over..

sent away the forms to a friend in perth so she's posting them on monday, least u havnt long to wait till ur course august isn't it?

id say if an employer knows you are booked in for course they'd prob take ya on, bet ur glad u did all from the uk, so u can concentrate on the other stuff..

good luck and keep us posted on ur findings..

Guest garyheidi7
I was reading the electricians forum just now on british expats site and seen some posts that the ostr route now needs 12 months gap training. I am arriving in Perth at the begining of August. I have applied for my Provisional license and am waiting on energy safe to send it, they emailed me today saying i did not send all my vetassess paperwork which i have now sent so hopefully i will receive it soon so i can book the course. But the thought of having to work on low pay for 12 months fills me with dread as i have a family to support. Has anyone arrived in Perth lately that can confirm this?

Hi we arrived on the 6th July, I am booked in on the august two week training course in Balcatta, just went there today to buy the books needed and it is still all happening nothing has changed at the moment as far as getting the licence. Fingers crossed it won't, as I think I will worry about that happening until Im actually sitting the course. I like yourself sent all paperwork to energy safety from the uk to get your restricted permit then sent it to Leslie at the college and paid and booked on next available course to my arrival. Good luck with your paperwork.

Guest garyheidi7
Hi ya,

just wondered what sort of wage you can earn as a fire alarm technician...if you don't mind sharing?!? Is it enough to live on until you get your license?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve, thats what i was thinking of doing until i got my a grade. And only going on what I've seen and applied for, there is a lot of fire alarm technician positions I had phone calls within a day of applying but unfortunately they need about three different licences to do the work, the ones I went to interviews for we're between 50 and 60,000 but all said in interview to go for electrician work as the pay can be much better. So my plan to do that work temporarily did nt get very far! Hope that helps.

Guest garyheidi7
yea iv heard that about the rentals alright.. they may start building more houses to accommodate all these poms coming over..

sent away the forms to a friend in perth so she's posting them on monday, least u havnt long to wait till ur course august isn't it?

id say if an employer knows you are booked in for course they'd prob take ya on, bet ur glad u did all from the uk, so u can concentrate on the other stuff..

good luck and keep us posted on ur findings..

Hi NPKAE, yes rentals was starting to be slightly stressful, but thank goodness we got accepted on one today, there are lots of houses to look at as they seem to be building a great deal. But I have the feeling with five children and not in work we did nt fair well on paper to the owners of these rentals, but need this licence to get work as an electrician, so bit of a nightmare, but we can at least relax a bit now, got just over two weeks to wait now for course, so roll on two weeks. Also is a good idea when you get here and waiting to do course is to book yourself into other courses which I'm going to be doing is working at heights, EWP, confined space and senior first aid which unfortunately apart from the first aid are about 300 dollars a course, and if you want mine work you need a suitable induction course, ie Rio tinto. All employers are wanting these, so its just a matter paying for them and getting them done really, they are day courses and local. Hope you hear soon from your restricted permit.

Hi NPKAE, yes rentals was starting to be slightly stressful, but thank goodness we got accepted on one today, there are lots of houses to look at as they seem to be building a great deal. But I have the feeling with five children and not in work we did nt fair well on paper to the owners of these rentals, but need this licence to get work as an electrician, so bit of a nightmare, but we can at least relax a bit now, got just over two weeks to wait now for course, so roll on two weeks. Also is a good idea when you get here and waiting to do course is to book yourself into other courses which I'm going to be doing is working at heights, EWP, confined space and senior first aid which unfortunately apart from the first aid are about 300 dollars a course, and if you want mine work you need a suitable induction course, ie Rio tinto. All employers are wanting these, so its just a matter paying for them and getting them done really, they are day courses and local. Hope you hear soon from your restricted permit.

briliant glad yous got house sorted.. wat area r ya for? we know NOR pretty well after staying there in 2010.

have good few mates up that direction.

energy safe should have my stuff now so just wait to see if it goes through alrite, was looking at doing them courses here in ire b4 heading over but prob better to do there in wa, as they don't seem to b interested in uk certs.

i did the white card online last sat so thats done and was posted to mates address in perth.

is there much to study from them books?

I have received my restricted license now but it states that i have to i have to contact Polytechnic West (balga campus) to arrange my gap training.I seen a post on another forum from somebody who has just arrived in Perth saying the same and that the course costs $1700. So it now looks like i will have to do the log book etc. There is no mention of CET balcata and the 2 week course. I will call them on Monday and find out for sure but it looks like the goalposts have been moved again.

This is what ive been deliberating over for months now.

The actual Main goverment is saying somthing totaly different http://www.ee-oz.com.au/files/Skills%20Migration/Skills%20Migration_Link%207.pdf This says that we only need to complete 170 hours of gap training for cert III at a regeional taining org then as far as i read thats it. Nothing to do with log books. But it seems that the state guys are refusing to accept this for A grade licience.

Ive been taking the direct links to sites from TRA and Energysafe Vic so not just randomly making them up.

http://www.ee-oz.com.au/content/view/82/115/ this is the site that states we must complete gap training but not to do log book work.

I just feel they are being overzelous with the log book thing considering that some of us have been in the industry for over 20 years.

We go through all the ups and downs of being assesed on our trades and skills before we're even granted a visa then told at the end that its no good and we have to be a 4th year apprentice for 12 months.

I just wish there would be one organisation to stand up and say "Hey this is the way it has to be done and here is the route to follow!" and all states to agree upon.

Ive been on this rollercoaster now for over 18 months now and all the time the goal posts are being moved.

The australian goverment says that electricians are in shortage so why make us jump through so many hoops. Yes I know there are differences in instalation methods etc but these are quickly learnt and adopted. Any spark with half an ounce of sense would get to grips with.

Thanks for listening

rant over

Justin

I have received my restricted license now but it states that i have to i have to contact Polytechnic West (balga campus) to arrange my gap training.I seen a post on another forum from somebody who has just arrived in Perth saying the same and that the course costs $1700. So it now looks like i will have to do the log book etc. There is no mention of CET balcata and the 2 week course. I will call them on Monday and find out for sure but it looks like the goalposts have been moved again.

its cheaper if your PR i think its around $300. if ur temp visa then yes the larger amount...

Wat do u mean by gap trainning?