Do you need a credit card to book car hire?

THORPES

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help?

On a previous thread (I cant find it now) someone mentioned that you need a credit card to book car hire.

We need to book a car from Brisbane airport, so is it correct that you need a credit card?:unsure:

We have never had one and dont really want one so does anyone know if there is another way?

Thanks in advance

Jill

xxx

Hi Jill,

cant answer your question, but we are in the same boat, we dont have credit cards either and dont want to get one, in fact my oh flatly refuses to have one.

however, i have been reliably informed by a friend of my hubby who used to live in oz. to really check the hire car small print, apparently its not widely published but they charge the earth if you go over your allotted mileage, which can be easily done when you are searching for the right area to live in the first few weeks you are there. He advised to buy a cheap runaround car as it could work out much cheaper for you.

let me know please as we are heading for brisbane too.

lynne

Guest Working to fish

Hi no you dont ,we flew into Brisbane and rented a car from a firm that i cant remember there name lol, If you pm cal (cal,gary) i am sure cal will recal the name.

Any how ,we phoned this firm from the uk and they held a car for us and we paid cash on arrival.

Hope this helps ,if i can recal the name i will post again.

eddie

Hi Jill!

I'm sure you do need a credit card when hiring a car - could be wrong but I'm sure we did.

Have a good look round as like Lynne said some companies limit your mileage - we used abel cars and they didn't.

I would recommend taking out the extra cover for insurance. As you know we had a car crash - still to this day believe it wasn't our fault, had witnesses who said it wasn't our fault but think the police just thought we were going home the next day so easier for them to blame us - easy prey and all that!

When you do hire a car they note down any scratches etc that's already on the car - make sure you go out with them and point out any they don't. They inspected our car in the dark (10pm) and it was throwing it down!!!

My advise - be extra cautious! However I would use abel again if the price was right!

:hug:

Jo x x x

Guest Working to fish

Like i said we dont have a credit card and phoned a car hire firm in Brisbane and they held a car for us ,will pm cal to find out who it was ,as my memory is fading with all the sun.

eddie

Hi Jill,

cant answer your question, but we are in the same boat, we dont have credit cards either and dont want to get one, in fact my oh flatly refuses to have one.

however, i have been reliably informed by a friend of my hubby who used to live in oz. to really check the hire car small print, apparently its not widely published but they charge the earth if you go over your allotted mileage, which can be easily done when you are searching for the right area to live in the first few weeks you are there. He advised to buy a cheap runaround car as it could work out much cheaper for you.

let me know please as we are heading for brisbane too.

l

I think your friend must have been aused car salesman 2nd hand cars here are expensive 96 Hyundal Lantra $4000, Have you a uk debit card use that , a lot of the rental firms ask for a card becayse you pay the bond on it . You might find you need acredit card as the eftpos system is unlike the chip and pin, you can`t pay for things over the net or phone.

mally

Hi Jill!

I'm sure you do need a credit card when hiring a car - could be wrong but I'm sure we did.

Have a good look round as like Lynne said some companies limit your mileage - we used abel cars and they didn't.

I would recommend taking out the extra cover for insurance. As you know we had a car crash - still to this day believe it wasn't our fault, had witnesses who said it wasn't our fault but think the police just thought we were going home the next day so easier for them to blame us - easy prey and all that!

When you do hire a car they note down any scratches etc that's already on the car - make sure you go out with them and point out any they don't. They inspected our car in the dark (10pm) and it was throwing it down!!!

My advise - be extra cautious! However I would use abel again if the price was right!

:hug:

Jo x x x

I think it was abel cars on the tv current affairs prog and the extortion over alleged damage, can`t be certain thought it was them

The major hire car companies definitely require a credit card - I stood behind some Poms at Melbourne airport who were really getting into it with the poor Hertz man recently. He was adamant that they wouldnt hire without a credit card. Maybe some of the smaller operators will but the big ones definitely wont.

I think it was abel cars on the tv current affairs prog and the extortion over alleged damage, can`t be certain thought it was them

:yes:Interesting!!!

i think the car hire place cal recommends is brisbane car hire ?? Could be wrong but it rings a bell.

Jill - pm Cal she won't mind! I mither her enough!

Jo x x

Guest rachntom

We have just received our very 1st credit cards we have never owned one and never really wanted to own one but we are wanting to book our accomadation in singapore and they will only accept credit cards but I will be paying it off the very next day once ive used it, I have heard also that a lot of car hires only accept credit cards, if you apply for one you can ask for a certain limit we have £1000 on ours, it might be worth just applying for one even if you dont use it,

Archived