OMG!!! Job interview

PommyPaul

ahhh it didn't go well, first 9 hours were ok but then i faffed up on a 4000mmx2000mm 10mm sheet by messing up the parameters on the cnc machine and junked the metal!!!

Boss was not impressed!! plenty of fing and pommying went on (opps)

But i must of done something right as after telling me to f off home (it was 5 to 5, so almost knocking off time) he said 'come back tomorrow though'

Must admit i'm going to slide out of this one and continue the job hunt though, might as well be picky whilst i've got the chance., at least he got a free days labour to cover the wasted steel..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TheArmChairDetective

Is the come back tommorrow going to be paid?

dough is always handy while your looking fior a job.

ahhh it didn't go well, first 9 hours were ok but then i faffed up on a 4000mmx2000mm 10mm sheet by messing up the parameters on the cnc machine and junked the metal!!!

Boss was not impressed!! plenty of fing and pommying went on (opps)

But i must of done something right as after telling me to f off home (it was 5 to 5, so almost knocking off time) he said 'come back tomorrow though'

Must admit i'm going to slide out of this one and continue the job hunt though, might as well be picky whilst i've got the chance., at least he got a free days labour to cover the wasted steel..

I would go back again if I was you! As you said he didn't give you your marching orders immeadiately! Sure he was annoyed but Im sure that he would rather have you there tommorrow then the work not being done!

Any time working in Oz can only help you with your job hunting to be able to say I have a job already (boss has n't fired me yet!!) but I'm looking for something better has definate merits.

ahhh it didn't go well, first 9 hours were ok but then i faffed up on a 4000mmx2000mm 10mm sheet by messing up the parameters on the cnc machine and junked the metal!!!Boss was not impressed!! plenty of fing and pommying went on (opps)...But i must of done something right as after telling me to f off home (it was 5 to 5, so almost knocking off time) he said 'come back tomorrow though'...Must admit i'm going to slide out of this one and continue the job hunt though, might as well be picky whilst i've got the chance., at least he got a free days labour to cover the wasted steel..

Agh Never mind Paul... I kind of think your instincts might be right on this one... :yes:

I don't like the way he reacted to your f-up & to be honest, he was EXPECTING it, wasn't he?! I'd never be happy when peeps start using ethnic abuse as, a) a method of Encouragement, b) a means of Reprimand, or c) a form of Communication - put the shoe on the other foot would you have said those things to say a Newbie from Poland? I don't think so, why would you?! (Was it even jovial, any underlaying kindness - do you think he really believed what he was saying?) Maybe he feels Brits are taking Ozzie jobs?? The difference, is I wouldn't even THINK such a thing let alone have it come out my mouth. You know BEST what his message was, which is why you feel your best plan is to keep looking, after all I'm sure you will find a workplace that will welcome you & the Boss won't be Pommy-Bashing the first chance he gets! It's not being overly sensitive, it's just Who needs IT?! :jimlad: OK you screwed up, you can hold your hand up to that, but a Good Boss shouldn't have to mock you or make you look stupid in front of the team... And while you may expect & get a certain amount of ribbing at the expense of being a Pom, it shouldn't be the Boss leading the pack for the kill! I say this one's NOT worth the hassle, learn from it, MOVE ON & be GRATEFUL! There WILL be better prospects ahead... and you'll be thankful when you find them.

(I was a migrant in USA 13+ years & I never once had my race/ethnic origins thrown at me when I goofed up. Even here, (where such tings are almost accepted) my Boss said - 'Do you mind being called a POM? I don't even think of you as one, you seem so Australian; I keep forgetting you've only been here a few months!' & he's never called me one since in jest or annoyance!)

You'll be alright, just keep your options open & I'm sure you'll KNOW when you find the right place for you...

X Hope you like your new home MUCH BETTER than the old job!!! :)

ahh cheers herbster, definately going to leave that one in the past!!

New unit is lovely, one bad thing is its got really posh ducted climate control throughout and its so tempting to set it too low, then get blasted by muggyness when i walk out the door in the morning.

Think i'm going to go sign up with some employment agencys soon, they seem like a good bet to find something where i don't have to work myself to the bone for a living.

Just had a phone call from one of the companies i put my cv into and they want me to go for an interview!!!! woohooo

I'm scared now though lol i haven't had an interview in over 11 years!!

Wish me luck all

its as a cnc operator/welder fabricator. :jiggy:

Got any more jobs going out there? My OH is sheet metal worker too!

Kath

ahh cheers herbster, definately going to leave that one in the past!!

New unit is lovely, one bad thing is its got really posh ducted climate control throughout and its so tempting to set it too low, then get blasted by muggyness when i walk out the door in the morning.

Think i'm going to go sign up with some employment agencys soon, they seem like a good bet to find something where i don't have to work myself to the bone for a living.

Be careful with agencies, they will try and get you a job if you are not working not for you but their cut. They tend to fleece you with pay as you work for the firm thro the agency as a casual no hols sick etc but you should get 20% on top of the rate which is the casual rate but the agencies take their cut off that.Are you a qualified cnc only saying that the pay theyare payin you is ****e to some I have heard of

Mally from Kaly

• 2 weeks later...

finally after applying for literally every job i could i've got another interview in about an hours time.

This ones as a Farm labourer but hey ho, its a start, i'm bit worried he won't give it to me though as the boss has already said he's worried i'm just going to stay for a few weeks whilst i job hunt!

Guest angiebabe

Good luck with it Paul...hope you get it. i know the feeling when nothing is turning up work wise as we are going through it at the moment. But you have to keep plodding onwards :yes:

Good luck with it Paul...hope you get it. i know the feeling when nothing is turning up work wise as we are going through it at the moment. But you have to keep plodding onwards :yes:

Thanks, its hard going isn't!!

Have you got you're jobseekers id number yet? i found after getting this all the job agencys suddenly opened their doors and started ringing me back and making the effort to forward my resume to the employers!

Well done Paul: I have higher hopes for this mission than the last! Being that I'm from the land - me pa & all go back generations ohhh ahhhh! On the laaaand! Just Beware the Etiquette though!

As a farmer's daughter, I believe working the land is an honorable pursuit, hopefully amongst honorable, honest, hard-working folk... If you are a skilled welder and have lots of other handy talents (common sense being a PRIME!) they should welcome you with open arms! It'll be hard work, (good for the muscles & disposition) but hopefully you'll have a chance to be in the fresh air - so don't forget sunnies, lots of sunscreen a good hat, gloves leather-palmed & sturdy leather boots are a must - also thick socks (& probably a stout stick!) - Working with straight-talking, no BS blokes, I think you might like it...I'm sure there'll be loads of opportunity to use your skills, fixing machinery, fences, tools - there does seem to be a strong make-do-&-mend culture here & farmer's are a naturally frugal bunch. You know your way round boats, I guess, so you should be good with the weather - another plus & engines.. It will also help to have a bit of understanding & sympathy of how difficult & hard things have been on the land, what with droughts & supermarkets dictating & strangling agricultural enterprise & prices (unless of course this is owned by a supermarket!) On such subjects, just lots of listening, wise nodding & know what ya mean, should suffice for a bit until you can pick up their version of the Farmer's Weekly... Welcome to the Farm, I really hope it is a great experience for you, I think you could be really surprised at how much you enjoy it....

However, can I offer you a word of advice??? I'm not bursting your bubble - but please don't say something like, 'Strewth! I'm a farmer- peeps @ home will never believe this!' -Oh no! Oh no, no, no! :no:Honestly - for etiquette's sake, don't even make a joke using that F word!....or you will be dead meat! HE's THE Farmer, (the land-owner) if he rents he'll be a tenant-farmer or a manager or farm bailiff, Station Manager perhaps... none of the peeps who work for him are farmers either (they might have been, if they've lost their land, but strictly speaking if they are working for him, they ain't Farmers!) Not like being a Gardner, regardless of having a garden or not! You'll be a hand, a laborer, a mechanic... maybe Someone Useful About The Place, but until you've grafted & sweat & toiled & know what will grow where & when, or what sheep can survive on top thousand acres, & how long you can afford to have them graze that area, AND then you've slaved & saved for decades to raise a mortgage for your own bit of Godzone, then you'll be on the road to being a Farmer - but even then it's not a dead cert - all the other Farmers have to approve you & accept you into their fold... then, & only then do you have a shot at that accolade!

Suffice to use that Famous Pommy Paul smile (hope he didn't go on about XZ@@!!** Pommy's???) & just say how great tis to be here & how exciting this experience will be...

A friend's son who worked for me a bit in the UK, recently arrived on a farm in NZ - he's only 21, I think, & had the flight/s from hell, endless delays, layovers with no sleep & after some 50-hrs+ travel he lands at the airport around 5am, the Farmer meets him & drives him straight to the fields to help with the silaging - without so much as a cup of coffee; here lay your load down,let alone, have a kip you must be Knck**d mate, nope! Just here's the tractor, get on with it! :swoon:

All the best - be very interested to hear what you have to do & how you get along... :)

X I'm sure (I hope) you'll enjoy it... If they use your skills & talents as they should...

Thanks Herbster! :)

I think if i was your freinds son i'd of been very tempted to walk, he must be a tought little bugger if he just got on with it!

Your very right about the farmer bit, my official title is farm hand/labourer, its actually a mushroom farm, well three mushroom farms and it definately sounds like i'm going to burn some fat and build some muscle.... which i must admit i don't mind, at least if i do the excercise bit at work i can just relax when i get home :)

I just really hope i can settle in and make it reasonably long term... then i can start thinking about doing some night school and getting some aussie qualifications.

Hya: Hmmmmm Mushrooms..... Hmmmmmmm.... (Not quite what I suspected when you said farming; although I did wonder just what kind of farming would be going on there!!!) Well, Paul, I hope you have a strong constitution!??? Forget what I was saying about the sunnies, hat, sunscreen & fresh air!

Actually I want to grow rhubarb, which is also grown in the dark, but by candlelight & is supposedly very calming & relaxing, so, would be nice & cool on a hot summer's day....

Mushrooms? Sorry Paul - I had visions of you finding a whole new world of Opportunity on a Big Ranch, a sheep station, a cattle farm: The High Chaparral, or maybe a grain producer... rolling prairie to the horizon with miles of fencing & lots of heavy machinery for all that planting & harvesting, lots of opportunity for you to flex your skills & discover your secret, hidden talents...

Mushrooms, now that's a different bag of manure altogether (have you smelt mushroom compost?!) Bless - gotta give you a medal for having a go! Wonder whether you'll be ordering that mushroom burger, now! I am sorry, but hopefully, looking on the Bright side, maybe there will be perks... free distorted mushrooms, mushroom compost, magic mushrooms..! Could be a toughie... all the VERY best.... The other guy probably WAS right... I was just hoping it was like a (proper) farm, as I think you would have enjoyed that experience - but it'll be something to talk about down the pub!

(The lad is doing alright, apparently & quite enjoying it now he's over his jet lag! Bless - you've gotta be HARD down here I think!) I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, lots of luck... In a perfect world, what would be your perfect Aussie job - based on your skills & talents???

X :)

Guest angiebabe
thanks angie, trust me i'm quite nervous about it but at the end of the day i want to live in australia whatever it takes!! :)

I know what you mean we are moving thousands of miles again for the work :err: just hope it works out!

Ahh thanks all :)

It was a damn hard day and i ache all over right now but it was alright, they seemed like a good bunch and it pays enought so that i can pay all my bills and have alittle left over so i'm going to stick with it and then start job hunting again after christmas sometime.

I don't really do any of the mushroom picking which is when its nice and cool, they have a hoard of aussie women that do it, my duties are cleaning out the cold rooms after each harvest, unloading the big old 20ft and 40ft semi trailers by hand (100s of 20kg bags) and a million and other things from whipper snipping to driving utes from farm to farm.

I really don't know what i want to do long term, in an ideal world i'd start up my business doing something boaty or car related, perhaps hiring a small wet shed somewhere with a little on land shed as well and offer a hull and superstructure refurb service.

But hey ho, its all an adventure :)

Well I'm glad to hear there's some variety to the work, Paul! I know that compost stinks, we sell it & it's rancid & I don't normally have a good sense of smell - so if you can stick that you'll get a lot of respect!

Yes, I bet you'd be alright here in Tassie, there's so much boat-related going on, even in little old Kettering, people say it's SERIOUS boat country round here, & on days such as those just past, you'd need to know what you're doing around these rocky shores... And there are often ads for peeps with related experience, even my other half went for such a job, which would have probably suited you down to the ground, if you have any experience with outboards, etc..!

I'm sure if you hang out around the yards (if you have a mo & they have any in your area & it's not just BEACH) then you could get to hear the buzz & who's hiring & just what's going on - pick up a casual job here or there... I know places like Dartmouth, Salcombe, Brixham that's often how guys used to get on the boats - if the skippers see you around & you offer a hand, or shoot the breeze, hang out in their bars - I'd say that could lead you along the right path... If you're not naturally doing that already! How about windsurfing, kite surfing - getting good enough to teach??

Anyway, all the best with this one, as you say, it'll get you fit, pay the bills & if you've got good mates that's a BIG PlUS over the last XX%%!!**! And, think how much you'll know about mushroom farming in a few months time!! Keep us updated, I'm quite fascinated... so I need an old iso to grow my rhubarb in... No wonder I see so many around, but I bet they're not growing rhubarb..! All the best, :)

Cheers, HX

Guest angiebabe

Sounds like you had a ball Paul....good on you for finding work and getting stuck in ..you might actually get to love it and carry on mushroom farming till your 70! :shocked:

Thanks Herbster and angie :)

I'm going to stick with this until at least early next year, but i will be keeping my eye out all the time for something else.

Trouble is with me is all my boat experience is on the job, i've no qualifications (i passed tra before the new rules came in) and i mainly worked on boats with inboard diesel engines and hydraulic drive which definately isn't common place over here.

also i've been out of the welding fabrication trade for over 11 years.

This job is actually alright tbh (touch wood) its actually quite nice to get in the car at the end of the day and feel totally and utterly exhausted, all your muscles acheing... my bodys going to love me for it lol

Guest TheArmChairDetective
thanks angie, trust me i'm quite nervous about it but at the end of the day i want to live in australia whatever it takes!! :)

That's the spirit PAul.

Oh, that job sounds Magic:biglaugh:

Archived