Very upset!

Guest YellowGecko

Guest YellowGecko

Sorry to be a misery guts but I am sitting hee in tears at the moment.

As many know, I am a Brit Citizen in Oz with my Oz hubby and and our 4 mth old baby.

We had planned to move back to the UK but hubby needed a settlement (spouse) Visa.

An Immigration agent based in the UK came highly recommended to me for dealing with our application, by an Aussie agent based in Brisbane.

So we hired this UK agent and set the wheels in motion at the start of July of this year to get this visa. I told the agent we intend to fly to the UK on one-way tickets on Oct 25th and asked whether there would be sufficient time in sorting the application out and it getting processed in time. He said yes. We booked the tickets.

So we did all this via e-mails.. us having to keep scanning docs and e-mailing them over to this agent, to build up our case file, etc.

Only this monday just gone (the 8th) did we finally receive the complete application package from him, in which to fill in and send off to Canberra to apply. In amongst the documents was some jargon he'd printed out, clearly stating by Canberra that settlement Visas take up to 12 weeks to process!!!!

Our flight's in 6 weeks!!! Enquired as to whether it can be fast-tracked and no. Only UK applicants can do that.

So now I shall have to fly all the way back to the UK on Oct 25th with our baby, alone, and Dion will have to wait here probably another 6 weeks or more.. which will take us to the middle of December and then try and get a flight during the busiest period I think the airline we are booked with charge another $300 for rearranging flight time/dates.

I am so upset, yet very angry at the same time, with this bloomin' Immigration laywer. It's his job to KNOW it takes up to 12 weeks, surely?!! We've only paid half his bill so far and I don't know what to do about it all now.

I know you're advised not to book flights til you have your visa in hand, but we trusted this agent and went on his word that we had plenty of time.

And jeez, it's so much harder to get into the UK than it is to get over here, we have learned! You wouldn't believe it, perhaps, but tis true!

Has anything similar happened to anyone here?

Can anyone give me any advice on what I should do?

Thanks for letting me rant.

Jo x

Oh Jo have a nice cuppa and take some deep breaths

Right I would scan the page that quite clearly states this information and send it with a letter that states what he had told you (abt how long it would take), tell him on the strength of his words you booked your flights. You could ask him to cover half of the cost seeing as the document says XXamount of weeks!

He will say that nothing is guaranteed and hoped that it would be quicker. You just have to be prepared for the battle.

Are you sure you want to make the trip back on your own? Can you not stay abit longer with hubby and come back together. Know your feeling abit poorly at the moment and you dont want to be any more added stress on yourself.

Good luck and let us know how things go Kimx

Guest YellowGecko

Hi Kim, yes I have kept all email communication between myself and the agent, so I can blast him with it all. I was just going to do it via email, to be quicker, but I don't know as that's as good as a physical letter delivered to his office.

I can't stay here longer, I do have health issues to deal with back home, yes, and some other reasons, as well, but I do basically need to be on that flight, in a nutshell.

I have my cuppa...lol.. using it to take headache pills with!

Jo x

Guest YellowGecko

Whlist we are on the subject, anyone else had to fly solo with a baby? Do you get much help from the airline staff in the airports with luggage, or anything? :(

Arr bless you. I still think good old fashioned letter sent special mail is the best way to go, for some reason it always looks my serious than an email. But I would email him to let him know that you are lodging a complaint via letter to him today !!! Just to give him something to think about for a few days lol seeing as he has given you a headache

Good luck x

Jo,

Soz to hear you are feeling peeed off (bit like me at the mo) & things arent going to plan for you, why do we always keep hitting brick walls theres always something that stuffs things up !!!

Perhaps you & me should hit a bottle & take a few hundred chill pills to put a smile back on ours faces.

Hope you get some good news soon

stuju x

Hi Jo

He sounds as though he needs a stern letter from you, as Kim says. This is all you need at the moment isnt it, with just having had your daughter and all.:arghh:

If you don't get any joy from him, escalate the matter as far as you can and if they're registered agents, threaten to take it to MARA or whatever body they're affiliated to.

Hope it gets sorted soon

Sue xx

Sorry to here you problems. With regards to help when flying alone, a lot will depend on who you are flying with, however make sure you get to the airport in good time, and ask for assistance even before you check in ! Sometimes they will even check you in straight away without queing ! Don't forget to sort out your seat online and online check in as this will help get the seat you want.

Guest YellowGecko

Well I just got the better half to phone the immo agent as I just keep bursting into tears and he spoke to the agent's legal secretary. Wouldn't you just know it, the agent is having a day off.

Dion explained all to her, anyway, and she didn't know what to say... just.. "sorry", over and over.

She said she'll call the agent at home today and ask him to ring us back... betcha a million dollars he doesn't.

AND.... WE RECEIVED A CALL FROM THE BANK TODAY... SEEMS WE HAVE FALLEN VICTIM TO CREDIT CARD FRAUD!!!!

Ohhh the day just gets betterer and betterer!!

Cheers!

Jo x

So theres the words Jo !!!

Goodness credit card fraud too! We've had this before as well

Jo, look at it this way, it's can only get better. Have a nice night sleep x

Guest YellowGecko

Very good point, Alan.

When Dion pointed out to his legal secretary over the phone that it is, indeed 12 weeks for a visa and not 30 days, his secretary said, 'Well he obviously got the timescale wrong."

Dion replied, "Well isn't it his job to KNOW these things? You call yourselves migration experts and you don't seem to know your own job."

All she could say was sorry.

Judging by the company's website, they've been going many years and did come well recommended by an agent over here, as I say.

Sheesh it's so tempting to name names but I know the rules and am zipping it!

:arghh:

Please someone wake me up from this bad dream?

What a nightmare.

My hubby might have to return early and Im not looking forward to the prospect of a flight with a toddler on my own.

On a more positive note most airlines will be very helpfull to your situation.Travelling with a baby on your own my sound like a nightmare but once your bags are checked in it shouldnt be too bad.As your little one isnt too mobile yet you should be able use the basinette and get some sleep and the chance to eat. I know its a nightmare but just think in a few weeks you will be back and your family will be falling over that baby of yours.

Guest YellowGecko

Hi joetrac, I do hope you end up not having to fly solo with a toddler. I can imagine that to be worse than with a 6 mth old, yes.

I actually phoned the booking agent last night (couldn't get hold of anyone from the airline) and asked for assistance with luggage and whatnot and she said they'd sort it out. I was hoping to be able to take the pushachair onboard but got told it's not allowed, so am expected to have to carry her in my arms everywhere (including 4 hrs at Kuala Lumpar airport!). It's just ridiculous.

Don't worry about time passing slowly til you leave. if you're anything like us, you've lots to do and get sorted before the move, which seems to be making time pass quickly, for me. I know how much you are looking forward to getting home and I know how that feels. Yes, Sarah will be whisked from my aching arms, back home, by cooing family members, so then I can actually sleep.

Just can't believe how a migration expert can make such a cock up. Even now he's shocked at the "massive delays" at the consulate for visas. I have tried explaining that there is NO delay... 12 weeks is the usual time in which a settlement visa is processed.

Hope he doesn't ask for the other half of his money....:realmad:

Jo x

I was hoping to be able to take the pushachair onboard but got told it's not allowed, so am expected to have to carry her in my arms everywhere (including 4 hrs at Kuala Lumpar airport!). It's just ridiculous.Jo x

Hi Jo, when we flew here, and interstate too, we kept the pushchair until the last moment, and they take it off you as you board the plane. Don't know about Kuala Lumpar, but in Dubai certainly they had courtesy prams lined up as you got into the airport terminal. May be worth checking.

Really hope this all comes together as best it can for you now.

Jo x

Hi Jo,

I just wanted to say that I'm sure you'll have helpful staff on the flight (we did) and you might even meet a friendly passengar who'll help you out in KL airport.

This will make you feel better; we're going home to visit in December. I'm flying to the UK alone with my three year old twins and my husband will have a restful flight two weeks later, alone!!!

When we came here we broke the flight and stayed in Hong Kong for a few days but on both long haul flights the kids never slept at the same time.

So I imagine that by the time I touch down in the UK I'll be so pleased to see my mum, hand the kids over and sleep for a few days!!!!

Good luck with everything though, I hope you're feeling a bit better today!

Guest funkymonkey
Whlist we are on the subject, anyone else had to fly solo with a baby? Do you get much help from the airline staff in the airports with luggage, or anything? :(

HI

I flew back home with my son when he was 8 months and again when he was 18 months old and i was 5 months pregnant with number 2. When he was smaller was so much easier, flew with emirates and booked a basinet and then carried on his routine as would have done normally. Staff were fairly helpful but wouldn't rely on them for sure. We flew from Perth where the ground staff were great, fast tracked me through passport control and quarantine on the way back. Dubai were not so helpful and Heathrow not helpful at all, 3 male groundstaff watched me struggle with luggage etc and not one offered to help! But, as long as your super organised have everything with you that you need and tell yourself its just one days travelling to get to where you want to be you'll be ok. Oh and if no one offers you help just damn well ask them, sometimes people just don't realise!

When i flew back with my son shen he was 18 months old that was a different story and don't think i'd do it again on my own.

Hope this helps and good luck.:jiggy:

OK first of all, dont bother about travelling with the baby - it isnt hard, I promise. My advice would be to ditch the pushchair altogether and just go with a sling (baby carrier). At 6 months you could still carry on the front quite easily. Travel as light as possible because you do want to be paying attention to the baby and not a whole load of "stuff". I did the trip to UK on my own with a 12 week baby and 3.5 yr old back in the day and it was a breeze, as was the return when the baby was 5 months old. I didnt ask for any additional assistance and really didnt find that I needed any - except for a cup of tea while feeding (and dont expect the girls on BA to do that for you:nah:) It wasnt at all bad. My only rule when travelling with a baby was that when the baby sleeps, we all sleep! Changing etc is not a problem - drop down table in the loos are easy to use. I dont know if you are bf but if you are, it is certainly the easy way to go!!!!

What about the visa - any chance that the DH could get an Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp in his visa instead? Is there a UK parent (or grandparent?) perhaps which might give him the extra alternative? I know I have canvassed this because I too am married to an alien (ooops, Aussie) but I know that he can get ILR because his mum was born in UK - that may be a bit quicker, I dont know the time frames (it was a "just in case I can persuade him to go home" pipe dream) but I do know that the UK High Commission is not a fast worker at the best of times although you could ask them or perhaps even come down here and camp on their doorstep - they are semi reasonable about adjusting to peoples' emergency situations. In the mean time, go for broke with the agent, he needs shooting (or sueing, whichever is easier!)

Have some (((hugs))) some days are the pits and hopefully you have got all your bad bits over and done with in one hit!

Guest YellowGecko

Right then.

Am *still* waiting to hear back from the booking agent with whom we booked the airline tickets (flying with Malaysian btw) about the pushchair and whatnot. If it's possible to use it right up til just about to board the aircraft, that'd be fantastic, but waiting to hear about this one.

Already been told they can arrange assistance for me with luggage. And woohoo! I'd get to board first, eh? A bit of VIP treatment, yes that'll do nicely. lol

However, I emailed my cousin who is a trolley dolly for BA, who told me that the cabin crew are not allowed to hold the baby at all, because of insurance purposes, so how the heck I get to go to the toilet, is anyone's guess! :goofy:

And I don't want her to puke on the lap of whoever's sat beside me, cos then I'd definitely have no one to hold her whilst I go and errr... powder my nose!

Had another twist to it all yesty, though. I phoned the Consulate in Canberra and actually got to speak to someone who was more human and showed a bit of compassion (yes, they do exist! OMG!) I told her of our predicament and that I need to get home for medical treatment but hubby has to wait for Visa and she reckons if I get doctor's certificate, outlining my cause, fax it through to Canberra, fast-tracking IS possible, because I'd have difficulty flying solo with a baby when I am a crook chook!!!

Just goes to show you... when they tell you "NO FAST-TRACKING ALLOWED" - IGNORE THEM AND TRY IT ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed..

Thanks guys. :wubclub:

Jo x

Guest YellowGecko

Cheers Jo.

Just want to add that we will NOT book with Malaysian Airlines again! I had trouble contacting them over the phone and the booking agent said she would speak to them for us, but she's just e-mailed, saing she cannot get through to them, either! She tried all day yesterday and again this morning.

Sadly, a lot of businesses seem to be like this, nowadays. No one cares anymore..

Jo x

Guest YellowGecko
Hi Hun,

My god i can't believe all the problems you are having!!

I'll give you a ring tmrw speak to you then.

Keep your chin up in the meantime.

Hugs sent to you.

Alison x

Hello petal,

Yeah I hope things are running a lot more smoothererer for you guys!

It's just one thing after another here at the mo!

Be good to chat on phone to you.

Speaky soon.

Jo x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest YellowGecko

OMG I feel like one of you UK'ers who get your Visa through to come to Oz and are dancing around the living room with glee!!!

My Aussie husband just received an e-mail today, saying they've granted him his UK Settlement Visa and that it'll be in the post in the next few days!

I am so excited to be going home next month, as excited as you all coming out here! LOL! And relieved that I'll no longer be having to fly back alone with an energetic 6 mth old!

So the "12 week visa processing time" actually turned out to be 3 working days, as the application was processed urgently, by request of my GP, outlining my medical prob and the fact I may need surgery upon my return to the UK. Never thought I'd be HAPPY to be sick!

YAYNESS!!!! :jiggy:

Jo x

Archived