TRA Delays Introduction of New Migration Assessment Policy

Alan Collett

That is very disapointing news.

Can I please ask Alan, in your opinion do you think that an NVQ2 (possibly 3) for Roof Tileing & Slating is going to be enough to get us past the Tra? (along with a point score of 125) I was hoping that in a weeks time we would have a clearer idea.

Regards, Kelly. :smile:

My NVQ L3 in roof tiling and slating got me to Oz, but it will cost another £2k to get my roofing licence here in Queensland, and still havn't seen a slate, or plain tile since i got here. Lots of concrete tiles, no scaffold, and not a styll saw in sight. Little bit different over here mate.

My NVQ L3 in roof tiling and slating got me to Oz, but it will cost another £2k to get my roofing licence here in Queensland, and still havn't seen a slate, or plain tile since i got here. Lots of concrete tiles, no scaffold, and not a styll saw in sight. Little bit different over here mate.

Hiya, thanks for your reply, very insightfull :wideeyed: Can you please tell me what the 'roofing license' is that you are refering to? Ie: My husband could also get an AQFIII here for £2000, would that be suitable?

Great to here all about the roofing work though, thanks for the info.

Kelly.:smile:

That is very disapointing news.

Can I please ask Alan, in your opinion do you think that an NVQ2 (possibly 3) for Roof Tileing & Slating is going to be enough to get us past the Tra? (along with a point score of 125) I was hoping that in a weeks time we would have a clearer idea.

Regards, Kelly. :smile:

Based on the MAP I have seen - possibly, yes. If you can evidence a skills transition to support the qualification I would be more comfortable.

All this assumes we are not looking at an overhaul of the MAP of course ...

Best regards.

Hiya, thanks for your reply, very insightfull :wideeyed: Can you please tell me what the 'roofing license' is that you are refering to? Ie: My husband could also get an AQFIII here for £2000, would that be suitable?

Great to here all about the roofing work though, thanks for the info.

Not sure what a AQFIII is but to be a subcontractor here in queensland that earns more than $1100 on a contract you need a Queensland Building License. So if you expect to run a gang, normally 6 strong over here you will need 1. Gangs do 2 roofs aday over here and work hard, bloody hard. And all new work is labour only.

If you want to work for a firm you dont need 1, and budget $27.5 dollars an hour, and if you only do 4 hours that is all you get payed, no giving you a day if they only have half a days work

Not sure what a AQFIII is but to be a subcontractor here in queensland that earns more than $1100 on a contract you need a Queensland Building License. So if you expect to run a gang, normally 6 strong over here you will need 1. Gangs do 2 roofs aday over here and work hard, bloody hard. And all new work is labour only.

If you want to work for a firm you dont need 1, and budget $27.5 dollars an hour, and if you only do 4 hours that is all you get payed, no giving you a day if they only have half a days work

Hi again,

My husband does run his own business here, but only has one bloke work for him & when we get to Aus (fingersX) He wants to just work for someone else.

Are you saying that on average $27.5 is pre tax! (hope not)! :shocked:

Where abouts are you living/working? We are hoping to head for the Sunshine Coast area.

I am in Birkdale, south east of Brisbane, so not sure of the work suituation on the sunshine coast, but it is lovely up there, was in Noosa at the weekend, we did the half marathon. I say $27.5 dollars an hour as a guide. People want to pay you that before tax at first, as it is different you feel like a bit of an apprentice for a month or so, all bending down and a back ache as a roofer in UK spends most of the day on their knees and in Oz always on your feet, because the pitch of the roofs is 15-20 degrees. The Aussies are good workers and are much faster than me, and i thought i was good at home. But if you get stuck in they will give you a bit more, $35 but that will be on a casual basis, not inc hols or sick and get yourself to site in your Ute or car, i managed to get some petrol money for this $15 a day. I am working for someone as a subby labour only doing repairs on metal and tiles and earning $40 an hour but others have i know havnt earned so much, as the trades have slowed down a bit over here, but not as much as home i hear. Dan

PM us if you want as we have hijacked Alan's thread SORRY Alan

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alan

In view of the apparently indefinite delay with the new MAP proposal, and its possible complete overhaul, is it time to unstick the sticky thread about Pathway D and leave this new thread sticky instead, please?

I don't understand the MAP thing at all but I sense that now may be a good moment to leave alone the earlier debates on it and focus on what might happen tomorrow instead?

I'll be guided by you about the earlier thread, please, if I may?

Many thanks

Gill

We are nearly 12 months on from the withdrawal of Pathway D, Gill, and my hunch is that making mention of Pathway D without an explanation perhaps confuses those intending trades migrants who are new to the migration process.

On balance I'd probably be unsticking the Pathway D thread, and replacing it with another, such as this one, or an amalgam of posts on the subject.

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler

Thank you, Alan

I have made the old Pathway D thread unsticky.

My instinct is that it is now going to be simpler for everyone to focus on what is likely to be required in the future rather than trying to consider what happened in the past.

I certainly feel that I had got to the point where I had grasped that Pathway D had been closed, just about understood most of the remaining UAC alternatives (understood-ish, anyway) and now this new MAP thing instead has thrown me completely.

I think that it is going to be easier just to try to get to grips with the new MAP.

Presumably the existing Pathways A, B, C & E will remain open whilst they sort MAP out?

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Alan

I also looked on your webpage yesterday and noticed the info re MAP. My wife is a hairdresser in the Uk and has NVQ2 With a total of 6 years experience 3 when she first started back in the late 80's and 3 recent since we returned from a holiday to Perth and decided to move, fingersX. We meet the point score and also my uncel owns his own salon in London Court Perth.

In your opinion would we still be able to move based on the above or might we have a problem.

Any info would be great thanks

Shane

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alan

I've just been browsing British Expats about the MAT issue. 3 points leapt off the pages.

1. George Lombard says his information is that the cause of the latest postponement is to do with the requirement that the 900 hours of work experience required for TRA Pathway 3 [as is] would become a requirement for the 900 hours to be paid work experience under MAP.

2. The Minister for Immi says it is nothing to do with him because DIAC is not responsible for skills assessments. Seemingly DIAC say that MAP is DEEWR's baby.

3. If so, what is the relationship between TRA and DEEWR, please? Is the former an Agency of the latter? If it is, would lobbying Julia Gillard do any good now that Minister Evans has distanced himself from it completely?

Thanks

Gill

Hello Gill.

Yes, TRA operates under the remit of DEEWR and the Minister, Julia Gillard (who is also the Deputy PM - my view is that she has far too much on her plate).

Nevertheless, I sent an email to Ms Gillard earlier this week (also sent to the Immigration Minister), asking her to use her best endeavours to deal with the debacle. Time will tell ...

Best regards.

Hi,

The 'Tra' have posted on their site finally....

NEW ASSESSMENT POLICY FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS

TRA has been consulting with key stakeholders about the proposed new Migration Assessment Policy (MAP). As a result of these consultations there will be a slight delay in implementing the MAP. Further information on the consultations will be provided in the near future.

Here is the latest update about the delay:

The MIA has been consulting with the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations [DEEWR] and Trades Recognition Australia [TRA] about a replacement for "Pathway D" that would allow the migrant entry of more tradespeople to Australia to address ongoing and urgent skill shortages.

Unfortunately, implementation of the new arrangements had to be deferred and TRA has now been advised us that a second draft MAP will be issued in the near future and further consultation with stakeholders will follow.

The development of the revised MAP and consultations have been complicated by a recent move of the TRA within DEEWR - now located within the division responsible for the VET sector.

We look forward to the second draft and the opportunity for further consultation before the end of September.

Fingers crossed the further consultations result in a much clearer new set of guidelines and no further delays!

Thankyou Veronika for keeping us informed, very kind of you. :yes:

So hopefully they are saying that by the end of September they should be able to give a date for the new MAP?......Oh I hope so, im not sure that our hearts can take much more of this! :sad: (I know I speak for our family & all the others in the same situation)

Kelly :0)

Archived