Moving to Melbourne area with teens... yay or nay

jessi

6 hours ago, can1983 said:

is that 200k your only family income? I honestly would say its not huge as a family income but probably adequate.

Whether it is enough would surely depend on how much of a home loan you need to take out or how much rent you need to pay.

200k would easily pay for day to day expenses with a small mortgage (<300-400k), but $200k isn't going to service a million dollar loan for example (although a bank may well lend it to you) without living very frugally.

So i would look at housing costs its everything here.

Thanks for that.

It would be for the first while until everyone is settled and I could then work in a Crèche. However the 200k is only the first years pay, it will increase yearly. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jessi said:

Thanks for that.

It would be for the first while until everyone is settled and I could then work in a Crèche. However the 200k is only the first years pay, it will increase yearly. 

Jealous. Haven't seen a payrise in 3 years!

The job is near Deer Park/ Caroline springs area. 

Any insider info on a nice village feel neighbourhood commutable? 

Would there be anywhere within the hour where we would be able to buy some land with a house down the line. But mainly my worry is my teenagers in regards to the area. Safe and away from gangs/ drugs and maybe with places where he could do some dirt biking and the likes of those things. 

What way would the likes of spiders be if we're more rural? Is it a real worry for children? Like do parents go out and check for spiders first in the garden. 

4 hours ago, jessi said:

The job is near Deer Park/ Caroline springs area. 

Any insider info on a nice village feel neighbourhood commutable? 

Ah that makes a huge difference.   Caroline Springs is right on the very outskirts of Melbourne, almost in the country already.  

https://www.homely.com.au/caroline-springs-melton-melbourne-greater-victoria

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Ah that makes a huge difference.   Caroline Springs is right on the very outskirts of Melbourne, almost in the country already.  

https://www.homely.com.au/caroline-springs-melton-melbourne-greater-victoria

Yeah I drove out there today from the CBD, it was 40 minutes in the car from the CBD on a Sunday morning. 

It's worth pointing out there is absolutely nothing in Caroline Springs so cinemas, decent shops, good restaurants you will be travelling 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jessi said:

What way would the likes of spiders be if we're more rural? Is it a real worry for children? Like do parents go out and check for spiders first in the garden. 

Yes, the probability of encountering spiders and snakes is higher in more rural areas.  But, no, parents don't go out and check for spiders first.  You - and that includes children - learn to keep alert and take precautions ie. where not to put hands and feet without checking first, not leaving shoes/boots outside the door without checking before putting them on,  keeping areas clear of habitat which might be attractive to unwanted beasties..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/04/2024 at 16:44, jessi said:

Are there any apprenticeships for that age or would he have to be 18? He's not planning on going to school any longer than he has to 🙄.

School education in Australia is administered by the various state governments so it is not exactly the same throughout the country.  However schemes for starting apprenticeships/traineeships in senior school are common.  This is the information for Victoria:

School-Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships | vic.gov.au (www.vic.gov.au)

11 hours ago, Skani said:

School education in Australia is administered by the various state governments so it is not exactly the same throughout the country.  However schemes for starting apprenticeships/traineeships in senior school are common.  This is the information for Victoria:

School-Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships | vic.gov.au (www.vic.gov.au)

Brilliant! Thanks so much. 

12 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Yeah I drove out there today from the CBD, it was 40 minutes in the car from the CBD on a Sunday morning. 

It's worth pointing out there is absolutely nothing in Caroline Springs so cinemas, decent shops, good restaurants you will be travelling 

What about sunbury do you know? 

Would that be a nice neighbourhood for children and teens would anyone know? I see it was mentioned up above.

I see a few kids have recently gone missing around sunbury but then again that could be runaway teens long back home. It's so hard to know without actually being there.

Once we make the decision if we're going it'll be super quick so I'm hoping I can think of anything beforehand that could become a problem. 

2 hours ago, jessi said:

Would that be a nice neighbourhood for children and teens would anyone know? I see it was mentioned up above.

I see a few kids have recently gone missing around sunbury but then again that could be runaway teens long back home. It's so hard to know without actually being there.

Once we make the decision if we're going it'll be super quick so I'm hoping I can think of anything beforehand that could become a problem. 

Sunbury's fine (just, for the love of God, don't accidentally move to Sunshine).  Got a couple of colleagues who live there, and they're quite happy.

If any kids have gone missing around there and anything untoward happened, it's not made the headlines over here as far as I've seen or heard on the radio.

Edited by BendigoBoy

3 hours ago, jessi said:

Sunbury is a suburb these days, not a rural area, but (like Caroline Springs) it's right on the very outskirts of Melbourne and still has a country-town feel about it. 

9 hours ago, BendigoBoy said:

Sunbury's fine (just, for the love of God, don't accidentally move to Sunshine).  Got a couple of colleagues who live there, and they're quite happy.

If any kids have gone missing around there and anything untoward happened, it's not made the headlines over here as far as I've seen or heard on the radio.

Thanks for the tip. Avoid sunshine! 

So we may look a little further out. Now that I know his job is on the outskirts too. 

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Sunbury is a suburb these days, not a rural area, but (like Caroline Springs) it's right on the very outskirts of Melbourne and still has a country-town feel about it. 

Thank you, would you know of a safe rural area not too bad to commute from towards deer park?

Or any areas to avoid. 

4 hours ago, BendigoBoy said:

Too easy.  Look at Eynesbury, unless you have a pet cat.

Is that because of all the witches looking for a co pilot?

Seriously though what's the issue with cats out there?

Edited by Ausvisitor

8 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Is that because of all the witches looking for a co pilot?

Seriously though what's the issue with cats out there?

It was a by-law when they started building the estate: no pet cats to protect native fauna.

On 15/04/2024 at 04:22, jessi said:

Brilliant! Thanks so much. 

If you are on a temporary visa though, apprenticeships aren't available - you didn't say if your visa is temporary or permanent. 

14 hours ago, jessi said:

Thank you, would you know of a safe rural area not too bad to commute from towards deer park?

To be specific nowhere is going to be a bad commute to Deer Park/Caroline Springs because he won't have to enter the city.  It's just a case of deciding how long a commute he wants.  

However Quoll makes a good point. If, as you say, your visa will "move quickly" it must be a 482 temporary visa, in which case you won't be able to access the apprenticeship scheme.  I'm sure your husband will want to apply for a more permanent visa asap, but that can take a year.

Edited by Marisawright

19 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

However Quoll makes a good point. If, as you say, your visa will "move quickly" it must be a 482 temporary visa, in which case you won't be able to access the apprenticeship scheme.  I'm sure your husband will want to apply for a more permanent visa asap, but that can take a year.

Add in usual caveats and warnings about 482s being temporary, no guarantee of permanent residency and the need to potentially go home on expiry here, etc.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2024 at 01:44, jessi said:

Hi everyone, 

My husband has gotten a good job offer in Melbourne. 

At least I think its good. It would be 200.000 aud per year.

Would we be living ok as a family of 5 on that starting money? We have 2 teenagers and a 5 year old.

If he did accept we would like to live as rural as possible within an hours drive into Melbourne, as he will have to commute. Geelong distance would be good but geelong is a city so far too big for our liking. 

Also I've heard rumours of a lot of drug users around the area amd now I'm not sure if it's gotten so bad that it wouldn't be wise with teenagers? 

I'd love some local Intel as we know all cities have drugs but from what we hear theres an ice epidemic apparently. 

We would be coming from rural Ireland, however I grew up in Berlin myself. 

Also in regards to schools for teens, do they really teach about 82 genders these days or is that not as bad as it seems from afar. 

Thank you 

Jessi

Actually the hardest and most important part will be deciding which AFL team to support.  Life revolves around AFL 365 days of the year…

14 minutes ago, Bulya said:

Actually the hardest and most important part will be deciding which AFL team to support.  Life revolves around AFL 365 days of the year…

If you can't decide which team to support, just slag off Collingwood.  You'll be backed up by most of the state... and more than a few Collingwood supporters, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BendigoBoy said:

If you can't decide which team to support, just slag off Collingwood.  You'll be backed up by most of the state... and more than a few Collingwood supporters, too.

I like your thinking..

10 hours ago, BendigoBoy said:

Add in usual caveats and warnings about 482s being temporary, no guarantee of permanent residency and the need to potentially go home on expiry here, etc.

Yes very true, everyone thinks it won't happen to them but it can and it does.

In our office we decided to stop focussing on one area of the market that was not as busy as we imagined it was going to be. 

This meant we ended up having to make some redundancies including a couple of people who had moved their families over (2 adults 3 kids of school age) expecting to make their life over here (including selling up back home). Unfortunately once you get the news you have 88 days to find a new job and get the sponsorship transferred (which is a large paperwork activity that doesn't happen overnight) or you have to leave the country.

A 482 is good for those who want a short adventure or those who are aware and willing to take the risk but it's not the nirvana guaranteed path to PR everyone suggests it is...

• Like 2