Finding teaching role while still in UK

HayD91

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to find a teaching role in Western Australia while still in the UK? 

I submitted my 189 EOI last week as a secondary school maths teacher. I know there's a long way to go yet, but me and my wife were discussing moving before finding a job or using the 1 year period after getting the visa granted (hopefully), to find a teaching role and move over 1 month before the job starts, providing some level of financial stability. Any advice would be helpful 😀

Cheers in advance! 

6 minutes ago, Haydn Drake said:

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to find a teaching role in Western Australia while still in the UK? 

I submitted my 189 EOI last week as a secondary school maths teacher. I know there's a long way to go yet, but me and my wife were discussing moving before finding a job or using the 1 year period after getting the visa granted (hopefully), to find a teaching role and move over 1 month before the job starts, providing some level of financial stability. Any advice would be helpful 😀

Cheers in advance! 

I will leave the specifics of how feasible it is to find a teaching role while overseas to those more in the know. @InnerVoice might be able to provide some insight on that.

In terms of moving only a month before the job starts, I would just ask you to consider whether that's realistically time enough.  I moved over in August 2016, and it was a different world for rentals at that time.  We were very fortunate in booking a short term apartment for two weeks on arrival and then landing a 12 month rental agreement two days later.  If you have to juggle house hunting alongside starting a new full time job, it could be worth sitting down to consider if maybe a little more leeway (another month or so) on arrival to sort out long term accommodation and get yourself grounded in the country is something to consider.  (Although I appreciate that's also potentially another month without an income stream).

• Like 2

In fairness money isn't that much of an issue for an extra month, it was mainly because we've heard stories of people struggling to find work for 6 months and then it could start to be a problem after that. 

So you think 2 months would be a better plan? 

22 minutes ago, Haydn Drake said:

In fairness money isn't that much of an issue for an extra month, it was mainly because we've heard stories of people struggling to find work for 6 months and then it could start to be a problem after that. 

So you think 2 months would be a better plan? 

@benj1980 is a teacher in WA and should be able to advise on your chances of finding work from overseas, and also whether you really need to worry about that.

As Bendigoboy says, it's not so much the difficulty of finding work, as the difficulty of trying to find work and trying to find a home, both at the same time.   So yes, two months is  much more sensible.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BendigoBoy said:

I will leave the specifics of how feasible it is to find a teaching role while overseas to those more in the know. @InnerVoice might be able to provide some insight on that.

In terms of moving only a month before the job starts, I would just ask you to consider whether that's realistically time enough.  I moved over in August 2016, and it was a different world for rentals at that time.  We were very fortunate in booking a short term apartment for two weeks on arrival and then landing a 12 month rental agreement two days later.  If you have to juggle house hunting alongside starting a new full time job, it could be worth sitting down to consider if maybe a little more leeway (another month or so) on arrival to sort out long term accommodation and get yourself grounded in the country is something to consider.  (Although I appreciate that's also potentially another month without an income stream).

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

@benj1980 is a teacher in WA and should be able to advise on your chances of finding work from overseas, and also whether you really need to worry about that.

As Bendigoboy says, it's not so much the difficulty of finding work, as the difficulty of trying to find work and trying to find a home, both at the same time.   So yes, two months is  much more sensible.

I was about to say @benj1980 was the best person to ask, but Marisa got their first. If I'm not mistaken Ben works in teacher recruitment in WA, so he might even be able to help the OP find a suitable position. I don't think you'll have any problems finding work in teaching at the moment, although it may not necessarily be in a location that you like.

I think arriving a month before you are due to start work is probably long enough to get yourself settled in if there's just the two of you, but then you might want factor in some R&R time so you can have a bit of a break before you start your new jobs.

Edited by InnerVoice
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

I was about to say @benj1980 was the best person to ask, but Marisa got their first. If I'm not mistaken Ben works in teacher recruitment in WA, so he might even be able to help the OP find a suitable position. I don't think you'll have any problems finding work in teaching at the moment, although it may not necessarily be in a location that you like.

I think arriving a month before you are due to start work is probably long enough to get yourself settled in if there's just the two of you, but then you might want factor in some R&R time so you can have a bit of a break before you start your new jobs.

We also have 2 daughters aged 12 and 7, so I think more than a month would be sensible as we have to find schools too! Thanks for the advice 😀

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Haydn Drake said:

We also have 2 daughters aged 12 and 7, so I think more than a month would be sensible as we have to find schools too! Thanks for the advice 😀

Hi All

I'm currently in the UK and just so happened to open up my laptop. Lots of rain in Cornwall and Plymouth! In terms of finding a job role there certainly is more flexibility in terms of gaining a position from the UK. This wouldn't have happened a couple of years ago. That said, schools will want to know that you are ready to go and able to work as soon as possible. For example, we will have a Maths role to start after Easter, I am sure we would provide a contract for an overseas teacher in the current climate. (I am thinking this is too early for you!) But trying to plan any longer than a term would be unrealistic. Schools don't want to be burnt by a teacher who changes their mind but likewise want to show commitment to them as there is a shortage. 

Location is a big factor of course. Perth area and NoR don't have the same shortage issues as SoR. I work and live in Mandurah and we have all been jostling for the same teachers who have chosen to make the area their home. If and when you're ready to make the move I'm happy to send out your resume to schools within your preferred area, we are pretty well networked over in WA. Likewise, if you would like me to look over it I am happy to do so. It is a bit of a minefield and I was grateful for some friendly advice so feel free to ask any other questions.

• Like 3

On 30/12/2023 at 09:06, benj1980 said:

Hi All

I'm currently in the UK and just so happened to open up my laptop. Lots of rain in Cornwall and Plymouth! In terms of finding a job role there certainly is more flexibility in terms of gaining a position from the UK. This wouldn't have happened a couple of years ago. That said, schools will want to know that you are ready to go and able to work as soon as possible. For example, we will have a Maths role to start after Easter, I am sure we would provide a contract for an overseas teacher in the current climate. (I am thinking this is too early for you!) But trying to plan any longer than a term would be unrealistic. Schools don't want to be burnt by a teacher who changes their mind but likewise want to show commitment to them as there is a shortage. 

Location is a big factor of course. Perth area and NoR don't have the same shortage issues as SoR. I work and live in Mandurah and we have all been jostling for the same teachers who have chosen to make the area their home. If and when you're ready to make the move I'm happy to send out your resume to schools within your preferred area, we are pretty well networked over in WA. Likewise, if you would like me to look over it I am happy to do so. It is a bit of a minefield and I was grateful for some friendly advice so feel free to ask any other questions.

Tell me about it, the weather in Bristol is awful too! 

We discussed where to live and decided SoR and would prefer anywhere from Rockingham to the Greater Mandurah area, so that sounds pretty promising. 

Easter is too early for me, this may sound odd considering we're leaving the country but I made promises to my year 10 students last year (Now Year 11 students) that I would stay until they finished their GCSEs. I would like to keep this promise and exams usually finish around May/June. I figured this might be how long it takes to get the invite, go through the visa process and be accepted anyway, although I have certainly heard of it happening quicker. 

I will definitely send a CV over when we're ready, and would appreciate any feedback you would have for me. 

I have a different question regarding my wife, she has recently qualified as a Primary School teacher, but due to our move will not be able to finish her ECT 2 year period (previously NQT 1 year), would she be able to work as a teacher or would her not finishing her ECT period be a problem? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/01/2024 at 21:02, Haydn Drake said:

Tell me about it, the weather in Bristol is awful too! 

We discussed where to live and decided SoR and would prefer anywhere from Rockingham to the Greater Mandurah area, so that sounds pretty promising. 

Easter is too early for me, this may sound odd considering we're leaving the country but I made promises to my year 10 students last year (Now Year 11 students) that I would stay until they finished their GCSEs. I would like to keep this promise and exams usually finish around May/June. I figured this might be how long it takes to get the invite, go through the visa process and be accepted anyway, although I have certainly heard of it happening quicker. 

I will definitely send a CV over when we're ready, and would appreciate any feedback you would have for me. 

I have a different question regarding my wife, she has recently qualified as a Primary School teacher, but due to our move will not be able to finish her ECT 2 year period (previously NQT 1 year), would she be able to work as a teacher or would her not finishing her ECT period be a problem? 

No problem she would be a grad teacher. There's nothing wrong in looking after your students and their grades, just potentially an aodd time for teacher movement, but I am sure in maths there would be roles available. Potentially with us!

Yes the weather was rubbish, I had a train terminated at Temple Meads not ideal when going to London. Anyway that's another story and I am back in the sun!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2024 at 23:18, benj1980 said:

No problem she would be a grad teacher. There's nothing wrong in looking after your students and their grades, just potentially an aodd time for teacher movement, but I am sure in maths there would be roles available. Potentially with us!

Yes the weather was rubbish, I had a train terminated at Temple Meads not ideal when going to London. Anyway that's another story and I am back in the sun!

That sounds promising, suppose I'm lucky maths is usually in demand. It's a relief regarding my wife, she was worried she wouldn't be able to teteach.

Fingers crossed for an invite sooner rather than later! 

• Like 1