Work issue

DukeNinja

As part of my job I am expected to travel overseas maybe twice a year for training.  It's to Germany, China or US. The last one I went to was Germany. Travel times are a weekend at each end. Employer is only offering 1 day back.

Can I challenge this? This "rule" is not in the Travel policy or the employee handbook. I've said the latter and my manager said this will now be included in the next revision. 

6 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

As part of my job I am expected to travel overseas maybe twice a year for training.  It's to Germany, China or US. The last one I went to was Germany. Travel times are a weekend at each end. Employer is only offering 1 day back.

Can I challenge this? This "rule" is not in the Travel policy or the employee handbook. I've said the latter and my manager said this will now be included in the next revision. 

I knew a guy who worked for Nokia and he had to go to Scandinavia a few times a year. He claimed for every hour, even when he was sleeping. But he had a brain the size of a planet, and I think they would have paid him anything. Sort of depends on your negotiating powers I guess.

11 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

I would be definitely looking into this. Your employer sounds like a 🍆

On 08/12/2023 at 19:51, DukeNinja said:

I think it depends on where you are salary wise.  If you are well paid, I would consider it part of the job, if you are low paid hourly then they should be compensating.  Personally I tend to tweak my travel a bit to have a day in the destination to get over jet lag / sightsee a little.  Or I will stopover in the UK where it makes sense and visit family.

• Like 3

I have no control over the travel arrangements. They are made and given to you by the company administrator. 

Two lots of travel a year and you are giving up 6 days of your personal time.

I see where you're coming from, but what is "well paid"? I would say my salary is comparable to what it would be in the public sector. I don't think they'd try to pull this off though.

6 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

I have no control over the travel arrangements. They are made and given to you by the company administrator. 

Two lots of travel a year and you are giving up 6 days of your personal time.

I see where you're coming from, but what is "well paid"? I would say my salary is comparable to what it would be in the public sector. I don't think they'd try to pull this off though.

So that would be the same public sector that allows you 2 whole extra days on your mingy bereavement leave because you have to travel halfway round the world? And even then you have to beg for it. Trust me, they give you nothing unless you have achieved Superstar-Godlike status.

2 hours ago, Nemesis said:

So that would be the same public sector that allows you 2 whole extra days on your mingy bereavement leave because you have to travel halfway round the world? And even then you have to beg for it. Trust me, they give you nothing unless you have achieved Superstar-Godlike status.

Would you get extra bereavement leave if you worked in UK ? 

19 hours ago, ramot said:

Would you get extra bereavement leave if you worked in UK ? 

Obviously I meant if the reverse situation. Work in UK parents in Australia

My husband was refused bereavement leave when my mother died as it was his MIL. Had to take annual leave

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ramot said:

Obviously I meant if the reverse situation. Work in UK parents in Australia

My husband was refused bereavement leave when my mother died as it was his MIL. Had to take annual leave

I actually offered to take annual leave at the time, but it was refused even though the leave was available. Had to get unpaid leave approved at a higher level. 

However, this wasn't my point when I posted, my point was in reply to Dukeninja who seemed to think the public sector wouldn't treat him the way his employer is; I just wanted to point out that the public sector isn't necessarily "fair" either, and that probably applies in both countries, it was never a UK v Oz thing.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2023 at 15:30, Nemesis said:

I wouldn't have needed it if I worked in the UK. Threatening me with the sack if I spent more time than 4 days away (including travel) for my Dad's funeral wasn't humane really.

If it’s a parent or immediate relative you usually get 2 weeks as standard in public sector UK. Sorry, this is in reply to Ramot, not you Nemesis!

Edited by Cheery Thistle
Replied to wrong member by accident