over 45 visa chances?

James44

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I can tell you from recent experience that the first $25k of buying stuff can happen very very quickly.  And we brought a full container load as well.

I can totally imagine that! Having moved last June and done a lot of work to the house it all adds up soooo fast! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrsPOB said:

What service are you using for the doggies? We've used PetAir each time, and like you, we had one easy flyer and one anxious. Fraggle our boy, no problem ever. Our girl, Doozy, is an anxious flyer. We always get the service that sprays the crate with calming pheromones, which is really helpful. We also requested that the crates be placed together (next to each other) so that they can see and smell each other. This also goes for quarantine. 

We are a little worried about our next trip, as it will be the first time Doozy has ever flown without her brother. She was a bit lost the first two months he was gone and was always looking for him. She's only now using all of the dog bed. She still doesn't sit on his side of the sofa, eat from his side of the bowl or wait on his side of the door. The other day I was grooming her, and when I pulled out the brush, I realised I had left hair in the brush from the last grooming. It was Fraggle's; after a bit of a cry, I realised that Doozy was smelling and licking the hair. Her tail was wagging, and she looked up at me as if to say, I smell him! I smell him! Where is he? Even now, the tears are flowing. 

20170526_224423.jpg

Aww wee soul! 

It’s Pets Abroad UK that our agent has partnered with. Have only just had the quote and I know there’s a lot to get sorted now. Not least save the money to take them! I was actually wondering if mild sedation was an option for the big dog! 

48 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Aww wee soul! 

It’s Pets Abroad UK that our agent has partnered with. Have only just had the quote and I know there’s a lot to get sorted now. Not least save the money to take them! I was actually wondering if mild sedation was an option for the big dog! 

They’re not allowed to be sedated.  If it was safe then it would be the kindest thing but it’s not safe due to the conditions in flight.  They won’t fly them if they believe they’ve been sedated.  Probably why they have to spend the night before flight with the pet company. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

They’re not allowed to be sedated.  If it was safe then it would be the kindest thing but it’s not safe due to the conditions in flight.  They won’t fly them if they believe they’ve been sedated.  Probably why they have to spend the night before flight with the pet company. 

I did also wonder about the safety of it too and haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere so assumed it was a no no. 

3 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I did also wonder about the safety of it too and haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere so assumed it was a no no. 

I think the altitude can increase the effect of the sedation meds and no one monitoring them in the air for hours, it’s just too dangerous.

I took a dog to Australia and bought a cat back to the uk and both survived and recovered well.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2023 at 00:38, Cheery Thistle said:

Really not sure about the container. We moved house last June and got rid of so.much.stuff!! So hopefully won’t need to do too big a job of clearing out. Thinking of bringing 2 beds as they are basically brand new and I really like my mattress. They were quite expensive also.

22 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you're taking those big items, then that's one decision you don't have to make -- they won't fit in a Movecube, so  a shared container is your only choice. 

Even so, I think you're probably right to consider bringing the beds and the suite. People used to say it's not worth shipping furniture because it's going to take six to eight weeks to arrive.  The thing is, most furniture retailers in Australia don't keep stock any more.  They have display stock, and then they order the furniture (usually from China) when you place the order.  Lo and behold, that's going to take six to eight weeks. So you'll actually be waiting longer for your new furniture (because you have to trek round the shops to find it first), than if you'd shipped your own.

17 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I can tell you from recent experience that the first $25k of buying stuff can happen very very quickly.  And we brought a full container load as well.

MoveCube's are a lot more expensive than they used to be. I looked into this about a month ago and the large one (6 cbm) is £2155, and that doesn't include packing materials. By comparison, a 20ft container will cost around £4k and has a capacity of 25-28 cbm of usable space. They also pack everything for you which is a huge hassle you don't have to worry about, and the packers will pick up on items that they thing might be an issue at customs. My understanding is that if your container has been professionally packed, then there is also less chance that it will be inspected.

I think a MoveCube makes sense if you're returning to the UK, where the cost of replacing things is much cheaper, but if you're moving out here I'd be inclined bring everything and the kitchen sink. That extra couple of thousand spent on shipping will be a drop in the ocean compared with replacing larger items of furniture, and white goods that you couldn't get in a MoveCube.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Think we will take the beds, mattresses and suite then. The suite was about £4.5k but over 10 years ago. It’s Natuzzi Italian leather and a classy bit of furniture which now has a few miles on the clock lol. So it is probably worth taking. It’s always good to have something to start you off as well I think - replacing everything all at once gets really expensive really fast. Haven’t got to looking at the shipping yet - we are still over a year away from moving and there are other things in front of it in the to-do queue. 

You might well end up with a home with 2 lounge areas so having a retiring main lounge suite is no bad thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

You might well end up with a home with 2 lounge areas so having a retiring main lounge suite is no bad thing.

We have two lounges. The smaller darker one is where the 'terrestrial' TV lives, which only gets switched on for the football or other free-to-air sporting events on SBS.

17 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

MoveCube's are a lot more expensive than they used to be. I looked into this about a month ago and the large one (6 cbm) is £2155, and that doesn't include packing materials. By comparison, a 20ft container will cost around £4k and has a capacity of 25-28 cbm of usable space. They also pack everything for you which is a huge hassle you don't have to worry about, and the packers will pick up on items that they thing might be an issue at customs. My understanding is that if your container has been professionally packed, then there is also less chance that it will be inspected.

I think a MoveCube makes sense if you're returning to the UK, where the cost of replacing things is much cheaper, but if you're moving out here I'd be inclined bring everything and the kitchen sink. That extra couple of thousand spent on shipping will be a drop in the ocean compared with replacing larger items of furniture, and white goods that you couldn't get in a MoveCube.

God I was not going to bring white goods. Our fridge freezer is quite old, as is the washing machine. Everything else is integrated and I’d be hoping to get a house where most appliances are integrated. Is that unrealistic? I literally have no clue lol. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

We have 2 lounges here. The front one is rarely used and that’s where the leather suite lives! There’s only 3 of us so really only use that room when we have friends/family round. 

3 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

God I was not going to bring white goods. Our fridge freezer is quite old, as is the washing machine. Everything else is integrated and I’d be hoping to get a house where most appliances are integrated. Is that unrealistic? I literally have no clue lol. 

I'd say so, unless you buy a new build or a house that's been recently renovated, in which case the kitchen will likely have a fitted fridge and dishwasher. On average, the general standard of accommodation here is lower than in the UK - if you compare like for like. Honestly, you'll wonder what you're paying all that money for!

I brought over all my white goods, sold the fridge-freezer and washer-dryer for a decent amount of money, and kept the Smeg dishwasher which is merrily working away 10 years later. We bought the house from an Austrian couple who'd been in Australia 50 years, but had decided to spend their twilight years back in Salzburg, which sounded very romantic but I can't imagine how they hacked the winters after being here that long - especially in Cairns. They basically left us an entire house full of stuff for free and we had two of everything at one point, so we just kept the best and sold the rest. I calculated that by the time we'd done we'd raked in about $2,000, which went a fair way towards covering our shipping costs.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Integrated? What's integrated?

Only joking, I do know.  I just can't remember the last time I saw one in a house here.  You won't find a fridge or washing machine already installed in most homes.  Sometimes there will be a dishwasher or a tumble dryer.

Like I said, do a pretend shop at an Australian retailer website, like Harveynorman.com.au before you decide whether to take stuff or leave it behind. Prices here are different for a lot of things.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

Sounds a bit third world lol. Just kidding but….My current kitchen was fitted in October last year and I have integrated gas Hob, small integrated under counter fridge, integrated double pyrolytic oven and integrated dishwasher - all Neff. I have a utility with a freestanding washing machine, fridge freezer and tumble drier. A separate chest freezer in the garage. Am I sounding spoiled?! Maybe I am….a bit. I can’t slum it exactly at this stage of my life I don’t think. That phase of my life is hopefully over now! 

Not Sure $2000 is worth me shipping things that I maybe won’t need or use. Will speak to the relocation agent and see what she advises maybe? In my head I was shipping some furniture and personal effects and leaving the appliances. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Integrated? What's integrated?

Only joking, I do know.  I just can't remember the last time I saw one in a house here.  You won't find a fridge or washing machine already installed in most homes.  Sometimes there will be a dishwasher or a tumble dryer.

Like I said, do a pretend shop at an Australian retailer website, like Harveynorman.com.au before you decide whether to take stuff or leave it behind. Prices here are different for a lot of things.

I will have a wee look at prices. Was wondering if we could maybe buy a few things second hand if necessary to start us off. Again, not sure how realistic it is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I will have a wee look at prices. Was wondering if we could maybe buy a few things second hand if necessary to start us off. Again, not sure how realistic it is. 

Once again it depends where you're going to live in Australia.  I've never come across second-hand furniture stores where I've lived in Australia (other than antique shops or designer retro stores).  You'll find a few of the larger charity shops ("op shops" here) carry furniture but some of them won't handle electrical goods because it costs them too much to have them safety-checked.  Your best bet will be Gumtree.com.au or Facebook Marketplace.  

I'd suggest you start by working out what it would cost to ship the stuff you really want to take.  You may be surprised.  The smaller the shipment, the more it costs per square metre.  You may find it'll cost $2,000 to ship the beds and personal effects, but if you take the whitegoods as well, it'll only be an extra $500.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Sounds a bit third world lol.

TBH you may think about that comment once you arrive, and decide you're not far off...

I am half-kidding, but I do remember being overawed by the sheer variety and quality of furniture, household appliances, kitchenware, linens etc etc etc when we returned to the UK in 2015.   You have to remember that Australia's entire population is only 25 million and for a lot of European and US companies, that's too small a market to bother with, especially as everything has to be sent via expensive, slow shipping.  Mind you it doesn''t bother me much -- I'm a minimalist and most of my  furniture  is plain old IKEA!

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Sounds a bit third world lol. Just kidding but….My current kitchen was fitted in October last year and I have integrated gas Hob, small integrated under counter fridge, integrated double pyrolytic oven and integrated dishwasher - all Neff. I have a utility with a freestanding washing machine, fridge freezer and tumble drier. A separate chest freezer in the garage. Am I sounding spoiled?! Maybe I am….a bit. I can’t slum it exactly at this stage of my life I don’t think. That phase of my life is hopefully over now! 

Not Sure $2000 is worth me shipping things that I maybe won’t need or use. Will speak to the relocation agent and see what she advises maybe? In my head I was shipping some furniture and personal effects and leaving the appliances. 

If you're going down the MoveCube route then everything you send will to need to fit into a 6ft cube, or you may as well just get a container. If you use a container you can also ship a car, which are eye-wateringly expensive over here. My wife's Mazda 2 cost $6,500 in 2019 and is now worth $8,000. A lot of other things are more expensive than they were before covid due to supply chain issues, and demand outstripping supply. Also, the increased cost of living means that more people are buying second hand than before, so goods are holding their price.

You sound like someone who enjoys the finer things in life, but if you want quality over here then you really will pay for it. The first time you walk into a major retailer over here, you are probably going to wish you brought more stuff from the UK.

Depending on what car you have, the Iron Chef will tell you whether it's worth shipping.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Sounds a bit third world lol.

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

TBH you may think about that comment once you arrive, and decide you're not far off...

I am half-kidding, but I do remember being overawed by the sheer variety and quality of furniture, household appliances, kitchenware, linens etc etc etc when we returned to the UK in 2015.   You have to remember that Australia's entire population is only 25 million and for a lot of European and US companies, that's too small a market to bother with, especially as everything has to be sent via expensive, slow shipping.  Mind you it doesn''t bother me much -- I'm a minimalist and most of my  furniture  is plain old IKEA!

'Third world' would be a bit harsh, but 'backward' is the way many of us feel from time to time. It's why so many Europeans gravitate towards the major cities on arrival because they are cosmopolitan enough not to feel isolated. When you are in Europe or Asia it seems like you're at the centre of the world, whereas down here we're right on the edge. Conversely, the pristine nature of our environment, the lack of crowds, and the abundance of natural resources, make Australia a unique place to live.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Took me a while because they use different model numbers, but I found the Miele washing machine I bought for £999 on Harvey Norman. $2799. 

LG TV looks about the same tho. ~10% higher

Edited by FirstWorldProblems
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Took me a while because they use different model numbers, but I found the Miele washing machine I bought for £999 on Harvey Norman. $2799. 

LG TV looks about the same tho. ~10% higher

I am not overly precious about brands and realise that buying European is probably not sensible or realistic. I think a Miele dishwasher would set you back about £1-1.5k at current UK prices - I looked when I fitted our kitchen. 

1 hour ago, InnerVoice said:

If you're going down the MoveCube route then everything you send will to need to fit into a 6ft cube, or you may as well just get a container. If you use a container you can also ship a car, which are eye-wateringly expensive over here. My wife's Mazda 2 cost $6,500 in 2019 and is now worth $8,000. A lot of other things are more expensive than they were before covid due to supply chain issues, and demand outstripping supply. Also, the increased cost of living means that more people are buying second hand than before, so goods are holding their price.

You sound like someone who enjoys the finer things in life, but if you want quality over here then you really will pay for it. The first time you walk into a major retailer over here, you are probably going to wish you brought more stuff from the UK.

Depending on what car you have, the Iron Chef will tell you whether it's worth shipping.

We’ve got an Audi A4 Quattro estate. 2018. Paid for. Didn’t even consider that it would be worth shipping, we were going to sell it. I think it’s worth about £15-20k. Only has 45k miles on it. We got the Quattro for the Scottish winters and estate for the dogs. Most people say it’s not worth the hassle or expense of shipping a car? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

We’ve got an Audi A4 Quattro estate. 2018. Paid for. Didn’t even consider that it would be worth shipping, we were going to sell it. I think it’s worth about £15-20k. Only has 45k miles on it. We got the Quattro for the Scottish winters and estate for the dogs. Most people say it’s not worth the hassle or expense of shipping a car? 

In most cases it isn't, but in some cases it is depending on the make, model, age, mileage, etc. Yours might be worth it - I'd definitely run it past the iron chef/lady.

9 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

In most cases it isn't, but in some cases it is depending on the make, model, age, mileage, etc. Yours might be worth it - I'd definitely run it past the iron chef/lady.

Will look. Another thing to add to the list. Our agent has a link with motopool so the plan was to just lease for a few months on arrival then buy something. 

@Marisawright We are headed to Brisbane area.