Tourist or Sponsored visa

immigrant589

Hi, I need to apply for visitor visa for parents for first time. I am settled in Australia for 4 years and wanted to know which stream should I apply. My parents are 77 years old and my father has severe dementia and also require assistance. So I want them to apply for longer terms (6months to 1 year).

• Which visa stream should I apply ? and what are chances?
  • will a health examination be conducted and with such medical history is it an issue?
  • What should be possible brief description of application letter 

Please help me out in getting answers before submitting application and I would highly appreciate your responses

Not being funny but if your dad has severe dementia how would he ever cope being on a plane that long .A lot of people i know with it find a short car journey is miles to much for them . . Dementia patients do not like change and being out of the norm . What if he flips out on the plane . My mum got terrible and i wouldnt of dreamt of putting her in that situation . Would he get a visa as that is a serious medical condition if something happens over here . If it came to it , you would be far better going over there to him .Just my thoughts .

Edited by steveshe
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, steveshe said:

Not being funny but if your dad has severe dementia how would he ever cope being on a plane that long .A lot of people i know with it find a short car journey is miles to much for them . . Dementia patients do not like change and being out of the norm . What if he flips out on the plane . My mum got terrible and i wouldnt of dreamt of putting her in that situation . Would he get a visa as that is a serious medical condition if something happens over here . If it came to it , you would be far better going over there to him .Just my thoughts .

Also remember will any insurance company insure him to fly all this way especially the risk  being so high flying for all those hours with no escape . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steveshe said:

Also remember will any insurance company insure him to fly all this way especially the risk  being so high flying for all those hours with no escape . 

Not just the flight, but would any insurance company provide medical coverage for a dementia patient whilst in Australia? The risk of very high medical bills could be a deal-breaker. 

The OP also mentions that his father requires assistance - if that means a carer over and above the family themselves then that could be an issue here. Not being eligible for Medicare would mean the family probably having to employ someone privately

• Like 3

9 hours ago, immigrant589 said:

Hi, I need to apply for visitor visa for parents for first time. I am settled in Australia for 4 years and wanted to know which stream should I apply. My parents are 77 years old and my father has severe dementia and also require assistance. So I want them to apply for longer terms (6months to 1 year).

• Which visa stream should I apply ? and what are chances?
  • will a health examination be conducted and with such medical history is it an issue?
  • What should be possible brief description of application letter 

Please help me out in getting answers before submitting application and I would highly appreciate your responses

When you say a visitor visa for 6-12 months, that for most would mean for an extended holiday.  If that’s the case then take a look at the tourist visa options, depending where your parents live.  If however you really mean you want your parents to travel to Australia with the intention of remaining then it’s better to be just say so.  That changes things and the responses would likely be different.  If the second option is your goal then I think you would be best to reach out to a migrant agent for advice.  There are several excellent agents who regularly post on this site.  Best of luck.

Thanks for responses. My father is in Pakistan currently. I am not after long term visa at the moment. I can explore 870 visa later. I am looking to bring him here for 6 months (visitor visa). I understand the risks during travel but I can bring him here and take care of him for sometime under current circumstances back. The risk is there but he is overall stable and I can take some risk for him.