Am I Missing Something about Perth ?

northernmanc

30 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Not saying they are.  In fact, that's the point.  I remember being struck by that when I first arrived in Sydney.  Sydney has its Little Vietnam and Little China and Little Lebanon.  Yet try to find a suburb where Scots or English or Welsh people congregate and you'll draw a blank. Presumably because we're English-speaking and mostly white, we tend to just become part of the larger community.  I've observed other Australian cities are the same -- except Perth.   I have relatives in Perth and was surprised at how many of their friends are other Scottish migrants who live in the same area.

I think there is certainly familiarity factor, and the fact that a lot of the suburbs when you get away from the city are pretty similar.  Also the land estate type development has meant a lot of people could buy / build in the same area at roughly the same time.  

14 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

No sorry I'm calling BS British people do not move to be in a community of British people that simple is not true.

Most British people don't.  But there was a discussion on PIO some time ago with a census result showing that most of the 10  Australian suburbs with the highest concentration of British born people were all in Perth.  IIRC the top 5 or 6 were all suburbs in Perth's north.  That was the reference to the "Benidorm" effect.  That may now be diluting with other nationalities migrating in greater numbers.

1 hour ago, Cerberus1 said:

This interactive map was on the SBS site around 18 months ago. It shows the top countries of birth by Suburb (excluding Australian born). Some of Perth's Northern suburbs have between 20 - 30% British born.

interesting so long as you take it with a pinch of salt i suppose.

Just shows you how lucky us poms are all the nice suburbs feature the brits "england" and all the inner city and s**thole suburbs have india, china iraq etc

11 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I think there is certainly familiarity factor, and the fact that a lot of the suburbs when you get away from the city are pretty similar.  Also the land estate type development has meant a lot of people could buy / build in the same area at roughly the same time.  

The same was true of Brisbane back in the early 2000s when North Lakes was being developed, north of the city. It became known as "Little Britain" because of the large percentage of Brits who moved there, most of them being new to the country.

On 18/04/2024 at 10:06, Jon the Hat said:

I know of a lot of UK migrants who live in the Northern Suburbs in the newer areas. I believe the opportunity to build a large, new house close to the beach is the attraction rather than living close to other Poms.

4 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

I know of a lot of UK migrants who live in the Northern Suburbs in the newer areas. I believe the opportunity to build a large, new house close to the beach is the attraction rather than living close to other Poms.

I would agree, I live in one of the so called Pom enclaves in the South and been near other Brits was even in the list of considerations. Looking at the map posted above except for one or two areas in the south of the city it's all pom country.