Am I Missing Something about Perth ?

northernmanc

Hi,

I've just returned from my first reccie to Australia since being granted a 190 Visa and my last stop was Perth after spending time in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide and I left Perth until last as I thought it would be the most likely place that I'd want to live, but I really struggled to find anything to like in Perth and I just wondered am I missing something that makes so many people want to live there ?

I spent five days at The Ritz Carlton which was a great base and visited most of the main suburbs that I'd looked at from afar, from Mandurah in the South to Joondalup in the North and just couldn't find anything which came close to the other cities I visited.  Whilst there were some nice areas, I didn't feel like I was in Australia, at times it felt like I could be in any town in England with Nando's, Fish and Chip Shops, empty shops and scruffy in places.

I really wanted to like Perth, especially as I have a nice house budget and there are some beautiful houses where I could live, but there didn't seem to be anything to draw me there other than the lovely houses and I don't know whether it was that the other cities felt more Australian and had more wow factors, but I left Perth feeling disappointed and it would really help me to know why people move to Perth to help me understand if I did miss something.

I'm fortunate that I can work anywhere in Australia as my company has a presence in each City and they've given me the choice on where to live.  At the top of my list is Adelaide closely followed by Brisbane with Perth last and this is what I least expected.

Any comments would be helpful.  I'm due to visit again once more in January ahead of moving in June next year and it would be great to know that there is something about Perth that I should look at again,

Well if you left Perth feeling disappointed stroke it off your list of places to live.  As you say, you can work anywhere in Australia so give Perth a miss.  We lived there for a few years a long time ago and really liked it.  We lived in Mullaloo.  After that we moved to Sydney for almost 30 years.  I'm not a city person so we retired to Tasmania which suits me far more than any of the mainland cities.

Good luck wherever you end up!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, northernmanc said:

Hi,

I've just returned from my first reccie to Australia since being granted a 190 Visa and my last stop was Perth after spending time in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide and I left Perth until last as I thought it would be the most likely place that I'd want to live, but I really struggled to find anything to like in Perth and I just wondered am I missing something that makes so many people want to live there ?

A lot of Brits go to Perth because they have relatives who moved there.    Especially in the days of the Ten Pound Pom, it was one of the most popular destinations (partly because it was the first place the boat stopped).  I think some British migrants come to Australia wanting Britain with sunshine (just like they go to Benidorm and stay in the English-speaking ghetto), so having a less "Australian" feel is going to suit them down to the ground.  I believe there are particular suburbs of Perth where Brits congregate -- something that doesn't happen in Sydney or Melbourne.  In other Australian cities you can easily identify Lebanese or Vietnamese or Indian suburbs but not British or Irish ones. 

Also, bear in mind that Sydney and Melbourne had a massive influx of Italians and Greeks after WWII, and a lot of the lifestyle there (the cafe culture, the food) comes from those migrants rather than anything "Australian".  

It's important to listen to the 'vibe' of a place, I think.   It seems to me that Perth is a place people either love or hate.   For instance, I have friends who moved there from Sydney and wouldn't move back if you paid them.  On the other hand, I have a niece who spent her whole WHV year in Sydney and adored it.   Some time later, her employer posted her to Perth for three months for an assignment, with the opportunity to stay on a 482 for 2 years. After her Sydney experience, she assumed she'd have a great time.  However, she couldn't wait to go home. Too quiet, no wow factors as you say.  I suggest listening to your gut.

• Like 3

I'd agree if you didn't get a good feeling then maybe it's not for you. I don't know why you wouldn't love it, I do! I live in Mandurah which isn't in Perth of course. I appreciate the beaches and access to countryside more than the hustle and bustle of the city. That said I could happily reside in Fremantle! It's hard to comment because it is personal taste. Go with what is right for you, are there any other factors for moving to a certain city? This can make you feel more comfortable with a decision further down the road.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, northernmanc said:

Hi,

I spent five days at The Ritz Carlton which was a great base and visited most of the main suburbs that I'd looked at from afar, from Mandurah in the South to Joondalup in the North and just couldn't find anything which came close to the other cities I visited.  Whilst there were some nice areas, I didn't feel like I was in Australia, at times it felt like I could be in any town in England with Nando's, Fish and Chip Shops, empty shops and scruffy in places.

I really wanted to like Perth, especially as I have a nice house budget and there are some beautiful houses where I could live, but there didn't seem to be anything to draw me there other than the lovely houses and I don't know whether it was that the other cities felt more Australian and had more wow factors, but I left Perth feeling disappointed and it would really help me to know why people move to Perth to help me understand if I did miss something.

I'm fortunate that I can work anywhere in Australia as my company has a presence in each City and they've given me the choice on where to live.  At the top of my list is Adelaide closely followed by Brisbane with Perth last and this is what I least expected.

Any comments would be helpful.  I'm due to visit again once more in January ahead of moving in June next year and it would be great to know that there is something about Perth that I should look at again,

Thanks 🙂

I'd say your impression pretty much nailed it. Perth is rather underwhelming when one views from ground level. In IMO looks more promising when viewed from an aircraft.  (at high altitude)  

Yes does feel rather superficial in appearance (which largely is) with a number of same look, mind numbing suburbs.  But I would like to know why your impressions of both Adelaide and Brisbane were more positive? At least in Perth we have beaches easily accessible unlike Brisbane, wonder just how differing Adelaide is from Perth, besides possibly being better located being several hours from Melbourne?. I admit The Hills are rather pleasant. 

But I know loads of people that haven't liked Perth. Mostly due to lack of vibe and related issues. WE do have a massive drug problem, but that probably wasn't something that influenced your thinking. 

14 hours ago, benj1980 said:

I appreciate the beaches and access to countryside more than the hustle and bustle of the city.

I notice people who are really enthusiastic about Perth are often beachlovers or sports lovers.  The climate and easy access to beaches are a great plus for people with those interests.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I notice people who are really enthusiastic about Perth are often beachlovers or sports lovers.  The climate and easy access to beaches are a great plus for people with those interests.

I immediately thought of Paul1Perth.  He's perfectly happy in Perth  ......................  loves any sport to do with the sea which he lives very close to.  

He's not been on the forum for a while.  Hope he's OK.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

I'd say your impression pretty much nailed it. Perth is rather underwhelming when one views from ground level. In IMO looks more promising when viewed from an aircraft.  (at high altitude)  

Yes does feel rather superficial in appearance (which largely is) with a number of same look, mind numbing suburbs.  But I would like to know why your impressions of both Adelaide and Brisbane were more positive? At least in Perth we have beaches easily accessible unlike Brisbane, wonder just how differing Adelaide is from Perth, besides possibly being better located being several hours from Melbourne?. I admit The Hills are rather pleasant. 

But I know loads of people that haven't liked Perth. Mostly due to lack of vibe and related issues. WE do have a massive drug problem, but that probably wasn't something that influenced your thinking. 

I found with Adelaide that everything was very close wherever you were and if you lived towards the hills, you'd only be 25/30 mins from the beach and on the coast, only 30 mins to the hills.  There seemed to be good access from most suburbs to the CBD, although I noted that some of the suburbs that were nice along the coast, for me were too far if I had to go into the CBD each day.  While it did feel small, to me, it had everything I would need and if I wanted the big city for a weekend, it was only two hours by plane.  As with Perth a lot of the suburbs sprawled into each other, but that's no different from driving into London or Manchester.  I did find some lovely beaches towards the south which looked nicer than the ones in Perth, or certainly more picturesque.   Brisbane I liked more for the access to The Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast and while the city was much like any other city, it just felt there was more of a buzz about the place than Adelaide and Perth.  Yes, you're right, the beaches aren't on the doorstep but for me as long as they are within a 30/35 min drive that's all I want because I'm not a beach-bum and only want to go there for walks or a relaxing day in the sun. 

I often judge places by the amount of photos I've taken and in Perth I struggled to take that many, which to me shows it's missing something as I'm usually snap happy.  I'm sure most people that live in Perth are very happy, but I don't want to live in a Benidorm where people just go there to be just like home and miss out on the bigger picture of embracing life in a new culture.  

This is just one persons view, and I maybe more particular about where I live, but I left feeling so disappointed as I thought it would be the place for me.  But now I know it's SA or possibly Queensland where I will focus on my next trip.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, northernmanc said:

I found with Adelaide that everything was very close wherever you were and if you lived towards the hills, you'd only be 25/30 mins from the beach and on the coast, only 30 mins to the hills.  There seemed to be good access from most suburbs to the CBD, although I noted that some of the suburbs that were nice along the coast, for me were too far if I had to go into the CBD each day.  While it did feel small, to me, it had everything I would need and if I wanted the big city for a weekend, it was only two hours by plane.  As with Perth a lot of the suburbs sprawled into each other, but that's no different from driving into London or Manchester.  I did find some lovely beaches towards the south which looked nicer than the ones in Perth, or certainly more picturesque.   Brisbane I liked more for the access to The Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast and while the city was much like any other city, it just felt there was more of a buzz about the place than Adelaide and Perth.  Yes, you're right, the beaches aren't on the doorstep but for me as long as they are within a 30/35 min drive that's all I want because I'm not a beach-bum and only want to go there for walks or a relaxing day in the sun. 

I often judge places by the amount of photos I've taken and in Perth I struggled to take that many, which to me shows it's missing something as I'm usually snap happy.  I'm sure most people that live in Perth are very happy, but I don't want to live in a Benidorm where people just go there to be just like home and miss out on the bigger picture of embracing life in a new culture.  

This is just one persons view, and I maybe more particular about where I live, but I left feeling so disappointed as I thought it would be the place for me.  But now I know it's SA or possibly Queensland where I will focus on my next trip.

I'm from WA originally and find no fault with your observations. A tough chore to separate the best suited between Brisbane and Adelaide I expect? But to be fair, you were in Perth in winter. There is far less going down that time of year and the beaches do not look as pristine, with often a lot of sea weed and sand not laid. (a lot of sand is washed away in winter by the strong seas and replenished in summer) I always thought the best month was November  to view Perth. 

But perhaps Adelaide is better suited? Henley Beach for example. I've looked at it myself . I'm sure there is a mixed feeling with regards to living in Perth. But your observations were generally pretty much a fair assessment. Just another thing. There is a lack of vibe in Perth, but a lot going on behind closed doors. 

3 hours ago, northernmanc said:

now I know it's SA or possibly Queensland where I will focus on my next trip.

If you can, make that trip at the height of summer (January/February).  Adelaide gets blistering heat but it's a dry heat.   Queensland temperatures do not get as high, but it's very humid during the worst of summer, so it feels a heck of a lot hotter.

The fact is that different people react differently to humidity.  You do acclimatise to some extent, but I lived in Sydney for over 30 years and while I lost some of my tolerance for cold, I didn't develop much tolerance for humidity.  If you've never lived in Asia, you've probably never experienced humidity like it.  For someone like me, who is sensitive to it, it's purgatory for about three months every year.  When we were in Southampton in 2015, people used to complain about "an awfully humid day" and I felt like falling about laughing, because it was so extremely mild compared to Sydney in summer.

If you're lucky and don't have a problem with summer humidity, then Queensland will reward you with glorious sunny winters.  

• Like 2

I like Perth but wouldn't want to live that far out - I live in Mount Pleasant - 15 minutes to the city, 20 to Freo / beaches.  On the river for kayaking, walking and cycling.  It is a very easy place to live.  I think Adelaide and Brisbane are too though.  Once you get further out it is houses and shopping centres and I can't think of much worse.  Some of the beaches are lovely though.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2022 at 21:20, Marisawright said:

A lot of Brits go to Perth because they have relatives who moved there.    Especially in the days of the Ten Pound Pom, it was one of the most popular destinations (partly because it was the first place the boat stopped).  I think some British migrants come to Australia wanting Britain with sunshine (just like they go to Benidorm and stay in the English-speaking ghetto), so having a less "Australian" feel is going to suit them down to the ground.  I believe there are particular suburbs of Perth where Brits congregate -- something that doesn't happen in Sydney or Melbourne.  In other Australian cities you can easily identify Lebanese or Vietnamese or Indian suburbs but not British or Irish ones. 

Also, bear in mind that Sydney and Melbourne had a massive influx of Italians and Greeks after WWII, and a lot of the lifestyle there (the cafe culture, the food) comes from those migrants rather than anything "Australian".  

It's important to listen to the 'vibe' of a place, I think.   It seems to me that Perth is a place people either love or hate.   For instance, I have friends who moved there from Sydney and wouldn't move back if you paid them.  On the other hand, I have a niece who spent her whole WHV year in Sydney and adored it.   Some time later, her employer posted her to Perth for three months for an assignment, with the opportunity to stay on a 482 for 2 years. After her Sydney experience, she assumed she'd have a great time.  However, she couldn't wait to go home. Too quiet, no wow factors as you say.  I suggest listening to your gut.

Marisa, you have nailed it, especially in your first paragraph. I especially concur with the Benidorm comment. While it may not be a consideration for many, Perth is a HUGE distance from other capital cities, which for me is an issue. From Brisbane, i can hop on a plane and be anywhere on the Eastern coast within 2 hours or so. So when it comes to a weekend break, nothing is too far (think continental Europe from the UK), Perth is that little bit further. I sincerely believe the multiculturalism of other cities is a big magnet for me. I'm in Brisbane and with the lead up to the 2032 Olympics, Queensland will be an exciting place. I guess also, observing interstate movement of the Australian population is a good indicator as to where people, with itchy feet, want to live... 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 10:35, Marisawright said:

I love sports but not the beach (I enjoy the river more). To the OP  I agree with others, if it didn't hit the spot then cross it off your list.  I love it and felt the same that you did about Melbourne and Sydney - Australia is a big place - look for somewhere you'll feel at home

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ali said:

I love sports but not the beach (I enjoy the river more). To the OP  I agree with others, if it didn't hit the spot then cross it off your list.  I love it and felt the same that you did about Melbourne and Sydney - Australia is a big place - look for somewhere you'll feel at home

I much prefer the River too.  Same in Sydney I guess.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 14:50, Steve Elliott said:

Marisa, you have nailed it, especially in your first paragraph. I especially concur with the Benidorm comment. While it may not be a consideration for many, Perth is a HUGE distance from other capital cities, which for me is an issue. From Brisbane, i can hop on a plane and be anywhere on the Eastern coast within 2 hours or so. So when it comes to a weekend break, nothing is too far (think continental Europe from the UK), Perth is that little bit further. I sincerely believe the multiculturalism of other cities is a big magnet for me. I'm in Brisbane and with the lead up to the 2032 Olympics, Queensland will be an exciting place. I guess also, observing interstate movement of the Australian population is a good indicator as to where people, with itchy feet, want to live... 

I suppose you learn to make compromises. When I went to Perth 5 years ago for two 6 week holidays, the first thing I noticed was that I could drive for pleasure, unlike in Sydney with its 7 day all day jams.

How important is it to go away for weekends to other cities? For some it is important. For others you spend your weekends where you live. When I went back to England to live my passion was cycling and walking in The New Forest. Here in Surfers I spend my weekends with either walking distance or tram distance of places I want to go.

I don't like what I see as the hassle of travelling, stuck in traffic jams, taking hours to get anywhere.  Surry Hills to my brother's home in Spring Farm near Camden is 60 km without ever leaving Sydney.

So, I could live in South Perth just off the north/south freeway and over the Swan from the CBD with all the facilities I need. If I wanted a week of culture in Sydney or Melbourne I'd take a week or two holiday there.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

We our doing our reccie trip in August, I know it’s winter over there, buts it’s the best time to take the kids out of school, we’re planning to go to Perth, and Melbourne. 
we took East coast off our list because I do not do well with humidity! 
We’re interested to see what visiting both places will do to our decision, we have two sporty children 10 and 13. 
We have family in Perth and friends in Melbourne. 
Although I don’t want the “Benidorm” way of life, I know a massive plus for my son will be how often he can get to the beach! In the UK he is begging us to get the pool out from April! He swims for the local swim team, water sports is life for him. 
For this reason we are edging towards Perth due to the climate.
 The house prices from what we have seen in Melbourne that do have a pool are high and few and far between (rentals) and then the weather wouldn’t allow for this outdoors way of life. 
So if Perth doesn’t tick your boxes I guess it’s ok to say and luckily you can go anywhere 😊

On 14/04/2024 at 22:20, TheBs said:

We our doing our reccie trip in August, I know it’s winter over there, buts it’s the best time to take the kids out of school, we’re planning to go to Perth, and Melbourne. 
we took East coast off our list because I do not do well with humidity! 
We’re interested to see what visiting both places will do to our decision, we have two sporty children 10 and 13. 
We have family in Perth and friends in Melbourne. 
Although I don’t want the “Benidorm” way of life, I know a massive plus for my son will be how often he can get to the beach! In the UK he is begging us to get the pool out from April! He swims for the local swim team, water sports is life for him. 
For this reason we are edging towards Perth due to the climate.
 The house prices from what we have seen in Melbourne that do have a pool are high and few and far between (rentals) and then the weather wouldn’t allow for this outdoors way of life. 
So if Perth doesn’t tick your boxes I guess it’s ok to say and luckily you can go anywhere 😊

Perth is nothing like Benidorm those comments are pretty ridiculous, I have been in Perth for 10 years now and love it. Enjoy your recce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

Perth is nothing like Benidorm those comments are pretty ridiculous

No one said it was like Benidorm.  What we said was that when they move abroad, many British people prefer to live in a community of other British people, rather than become part of a melting pot.  Benidorm is an example.  

Perth is the only city in Australia where that happens.  The five most British suburbs in Australia are all located in Perth.   For some migrants, that might be exactly what they're looking for.  Others (like Steve) prefer a multicultural experience.  

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

No one said it was like Benidorm.  What we said was that when they move abroad, many British people prefer to live in a community of other British people, rather than become part of a melting pot.  Benidorm is an example.  

Perth is the only city in Australia where that happens.  The five most British suburbs in Australia are all located in Perth.   For some migrants, that might be exactly what they're looking for.  Others (like Steve) prefer a multicultural experience.  

No sorry I'm calling BS British people do not move to be in a community of British people that simple is not true.

On 09/10/2022 at 12:02, northernmanc said:

Hi,

Thanks 🙂

just wondering, and I'm sure you've looked into where you can live and work, but I just wanted to check - if you are on a 190, are you not sponsored by a specific State or Territory, in which you need to spend the first two years?

9 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

No sorry I'm calling BS British people do not move to be in a community of British people that simple is not true.

It's on the record.  Of course not ALL British people move to be in a community of Brits, but in Perth, it's FAR more common than anywhere else in Australia.  The statistics prove it. Look it up.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

It's on the record.  Of course not ALL British people move to be in a community of Brits, but in Perth, it's FAR more common than anywhere else in Australia.  The statistics prove it. Look it up.

Many nationalities are known for setting up little communities in different countries. I actually think the brits aren't the worst

Germans are pretty notorious at it

51 minutes ago, can1983 said:

Many nationalities are known for setting up little communities in different countries. I actually think the brits aren't the worst

Not saying they are.  In fact, that's the point.  I remember being struck by that when I first arrived in Sydney.  Sydney has its Little Vietnam and Little China and Little Lebanon.  Yet try to find a suburb where Scots or English or Welsh people congregate and you'll draw a blank. Presumably because we're English-speaking and mostly white, we tend to just become part of the larger community.  I've observed other Australian cities are the same -- except Perth.   I have relatives in Perth and was surprised at how many of their friends are other Scottish migrants who live in the same area.