Onshore partner, bridging visa - difficult to find work?

pinkpom

Currently mulling over options to get back to Aus before my PR travel facility expires next October. If we (me, partner, baby son) go and do an onshore partner application my understanding is my partner would switch to a bridging visa with full work rights after tourist visa expires. I have heard employers are reluctant to hire people on bridging visas - does anyone know if this is the case? Financially it wouldn’t necessarily be a disaster, but I would worry about isolation/loneliness for my partner not having a job and meeting people and also the effect on his career being out of work for a year or so. He works in finance. Any responses appreciated, thankyou 

22 minutes ago, pinkpom said:

Currently mulling over options to get back to Aus before my PR travel facility expires next October. If we (me, partner, baby son) go and do an onshore partner application my understanding is my partner would switch to a bridging visa with full work rights after tourist visa expires. I have heard employers are reluctant to hire people on bridging visas - does anyone know if this is the case? Financially it wouldn’t necessarily be a disaster, but I would worry about isolation/loneliness for my partner not having a job and meeting people and also the effect on his career being out of work for a year or so. He works in finance. Any responses appreciated, thankyou 

Its tricky but not impossible. You get to be very good at explaining although its only a bridging visa, its just dependent on your relationship/marriage continuing and is a pathway to PR, as opposed to something like a WHV which has an end date.

2 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Its tricky but not impossible. You get to be very good at explaining although its only a bridging visa, its just dependent on your relationship/marriage continuing and is a pathway to PR, as opposed to something like a WHV which has an end date.

It sounds like you have personal experience - were you able to get work and how long did it take you, please?

25 minutes ago, pinkpom said:

Normally your partner would be at a disadvantage compared to a candidate who doesn't have a status that leaves a worry if they can stay long term, but (depending on their skill set and the location) employers can't be as picky in the current market.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pinkpom said:

Currently mulling over options to get back to Aus before my PR travel facility expires next October. If we (me, partner, baby son) go and do an onshore partner application....

If you're not going back till September/October, apply for a partner visa now and there's a good chance it will be approved before you travel, if you're applying from the UK.  That's my understanding anyway, maybe an agent like @paulhand can confirm.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ken said:

Normally your partner would be at a disadvantage compared to a candidate who doesn't have a status that leaves a worry if they can stay long term, but (depending on their skill set and the location) employers can't be as picky in the current market.

Thanks Ken. I’ve read unemployment is exceptionally low at the moment. He works for an investment bank in financial services. Location wise would we need to go to Sydney or Melbourne? I have friends telling me Brisbane could be a possibility.  I can work anywhere so we can head to the place most likely for him to find work 

39 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If you're not going back till September/October, apply for a partner visa now and there's a good chance it will be approved before you travel, if you're applying from the UK.  That's my understanding anyway, maybe an agent like @paulhand can confirm.

Thanks very much for replying. Yes that’s what we’ve been told by a very well respected agent. I won’t go into the details, but financially it would be much better if we didn’t have to weigh out the money for the visa/agent till the end of next year. So just trying to figure out all the options and decide what’s best. 

31 minutes ago, pinkpom said:

Thanks very much for replying. Yes that’s what we’ve been told by a very well respected agent. I won’t go into the details, but financially it would be much better if we didn’t have to weigh out the money for the visa/agent till the end of next year. So just trying to figure out all the options and decide what’s best. 

If you are not an Australian citizen, you will need to factor in that, to be a sponsor, you need to be "usually resident" in Australia. 

1 hour ago, pinkpom said:

Thanks Ken. I’ve read unemployment is exceptionally low at the moment. He works for an investment bank in financial services. Location wise would we need to go to Sydney or Melbourne? I have friends telling me Brisbane could be a possibility.  I can work anywhere so we can head to the place most likely for him to find work 

I should think his bridging visa status would be somewhat of a hindrance in that market especially in the bigger cities.  If he were happy to be a barista or a hotel concierge then it wouldnt be so much  of a challenge.  Far better to arrive with his partner visa in hand.

1 hour ago, paulhand said:

If you are not an Australian citizen, you will need to factor in that, to be a sponsor, you need to be "usually resident" in Australia. 

Thanks Paul. It does seem that there’s a difference of opinion between agents and the knowledgable people on this site - I have been told it’s not usually a problem if the applicant is from the UK. But it’s exactly this point that’s making me look at the onshore visa. It’s an expensive gamble otherwise!!

34 minutes ago, Quoll said:

I should think his bridging visa status would be somewhat of a hindrance in that market especially in the bigger cities.  If he were happy to be a barista or a hotel concierge then it wouldnt be so much  of a challenge.  Far better to arrive with his partner visa in hand.

Thanks Quoll. There may be a risk with applying for a partner visa from the UK though as Paul Hand has mentioned above. Lots to weigh up!! Thanks for your input 

11 hours ago, pinkpom said:

Thanks Paul. It does seem that there’s a difference of opinion between agents and the knowledgable people on this site - I have been told it’s not usually a problem if the applicant is from the UK. But it’s exactly this point that’s making me look at the onshore visa. It’s an expensive gamble otherwise!!

Paul is a highly experienced agent so I'd go with his advice.  Unfortunately, some less reputable agents will downplay the risks to get your business -- after all, they still get their full fee even if you don't get the visa. 

On another note, if you're considering Sydney vs Melbourne vs Brisbane, be aware that house prices have sky-rocketed in Australia over the last five years.   If you compare equivalent homes in equivalent suburbs, Sydney is the most expensive city in Australia by a very long way.  Equivalent homes in Melbourne are about two-thirds the cost of Sydney.   Brisbane is half the price of Sydney.

Obviously, in Sydney and Melbourne you can find cheaper housing, but it means living far out in the suburbs with a long commute.

Edited by Marisawright

14 hours ago, pinkpom said:

It sounds like you have personal experience - were you able to get work and how long did it take you, please?

Mine was on a Provisional Spouse Visa, a long time ago, but I know others have been one bridging visas to a Spouse Visa as well as in the same position as me. The trick is that getting the interview is the hard part, then you at least get the chance to explain your visa position. 

12 hours ago, pinkpom said:

Thanks Quoll. There may be a risk with applying for a partner visa from the UK though as Paul Hand has mentioned above. Lots to weigh up!! Thanks for your input 

It is a vexed question to be sure - but then how are you going to get him into the country?  Lie about his intention to be a tourist?  Run the risk of being turned around at the border?  What visa are you going to get for your baby?

23 minutes ago, Quoll said:

It is a vexed question to be sure - but then how are you going to get him into the country?  Lie about his intention to be a tourist?  Run the risk of being turned around at the border?  What visa are you going to get for your baby?

@Quoll, I used to have the same concerns as you, but it has been explained by the agents here many times now.   

It is NOT illegal to enter the country on a tourist visa with the intention of applying for a substantive visa.   It IS illegal to enter the country on a tourist visa with the intent to stay forever regardless of your visa outcome.    It's up to the immigration officer, on the day, to decide whether you're likely to overstay illegally.

I'd say in this case, where a woman with a valid PR visa arrives with a husband and a baby, it's going to be pretty obvious to the Immigration Officer that it's a genuine relationship so it's unlikely they'll have any trouble getting a spouse visa, so there's unlikely to be an overstay situation.