Hippies...

pob

Are there hippy communes in Australia?

What about travelling groups that meet up in RV's, would they be called that there?

Personally I have been to Slab City in America, I enjoyed meeting the different people and viewing their alternitive lifestyle. It was not for me, but I do think the world is a better place for having places like that. Christiania in Copenhagen is also an interesting place, just people living an alternitive lifestyle. Same for the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in Arizona.

I have been to Nimbin, it seemed more aligned to kids just wanting to get high. If thats your thing then go for it, there is more to life than living it in a haze or a daze.

So I am wondering if there are communes around Australia? People just trying to live in harmony, or just trying to live to get by?

Do people drive ariound and meet up with other caravans and campervans? Are there face book groups? Do people meet up in the desert for a party like the burning man festival in America?

Or is it a solo kind of thing there?

There must be lots of houseless people there living in vehicles?

Anyone know of such events?

There are certainly Van Life pages on FB.  Can't think that I've ever obviously seen the equivalent of a New Age Traveller in Australia though I guess there would be somewhere.  The whole living in a van thing is not viewed as a fringe here; selling your house and just travelling around in a van is becoming something of a rite of passage for young and old - however, such people tend to have halfway decent vans and tow vehicles as the outback tracks like the Tanami and the Oonadatta will destroy your gear if it's not suitable.

I've been to some caravan parks that have permanent residents, but whether there's an associated community, couldn't tell you.

Isn't it Nimbin in Australia? I've never been there but heard stories.

Also Byron Bay. Not many can afford to buy there or probably rent but it would attract people who would sleep in their van just to be there.
Tones and I famously was living in her van and busking in Byron Bay just before she hit the big time.

Not in the sense America still does, or The Travellers has they were called in UK late last century, that lived a gypsy lifestyle in part, travelling the country in old buses and trucks. Many camped in wigwams or tents in Wales over winter. They held a philosophy for the most part and many were family units. (harassed  by police and local authorities for being outside the norm)  

Australia had such communes as you inquired back in the seventies and part of the eighties, but as in most places, these mostly dissolved over time. There were a few in my area of the South of WA. Certain areas that were settled by so termed Hippies, more often surfers, along with a few alternative types, did make a presence in towns lie Denmark, Margaret River,  in WA, now both expensive places, far beyond the affordability of any modern day Hippies. (a number of the original alternatives succumbed to the profit machine leading in a large part to the unaffordability)

Probably the closest I've seen to what the original Hippies sought, was what I'd call part timers, who played at being Hippies for a duration, (why not?) they were from all parts of the world, but often Brit's, Dutch, French or German , living in camper vans, attempting to dodge authorities by camping free in illegal places (mostly everywhere in cities/towns) travelling the country , attempting to pick up work here and there, smoking quite a lot of weed, consuming cheap casket wine, enjoying simplicity, quite open to all new comers to join them (often around a fire) but obviously once their visa was up they returned back to 'normal' life. 

• Like 1

There are a lot of "travellers" here in Tasmania.  Lots of younger people in vans (not campervans or caravans).  Their number plates are from all over the mainland.  They often park up where a sign specifies NO OVERNIGHT STAYS and NO CAMPING but they don't leave a mess and are quiet so nobody seems to bother about them.  During the summer the nearby trees and hedges are draped in their newly washed clothes.  I've had lot of interesting conversations with some of them.  Until Covid there were also a few from Europe and the USA/Canada.  They pick up casual jobs on farms etc.

I am guessing I am more of a grey nomad, than a hippy.

I just wondered if there were gatherings for people and if it was legal to drive out into where the earth is red and park up and have an informal gathering. Either an RV or a tent.

Crack open a couple of VB's with other like minded people.

1 minute ago, pob said:

I just wondered if there were gatherings for people and if it was legal to drive out into where the earth is red and park up and have an informal gathering. Either an RV or a tent.

Many, many grey nomads around.  All you have to do is book into any caravan park around the country and you'll find them.  However I think most people stick to the coast.

https://www.facebook.com/thegreynomads1/

I think the ones who are willing to rough it outback are less common. Also, of course, the distances are so great that you're less likely to stumble across people.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pob said:

A lot of grey nomads have self-contained vans and free camp, we recently bought a motorhome off an elderly couple who travelled extensively and rarely stayed in caravan parks. Apps like Wikicamps and Geocamps can help you find areas where camping is allowed as well as nearby facilities.

Edited by Drumbeat
  • Like 1

Lots of vans around where i live. Many have Vic plates, some QLD, sadly suspicious activity is suggestive of many of them. Yes Grey Nomads have been part of the landscape for a number of decades. (you seem to get your cruisers or Van nomads with the age) Hardly Hippies though, perhaps some where in the day. 

There are free camping grounds, usually out of the towns a bit. I've stayed in a few in NT. Pretty good actually, people from everywhere, often quite friendly. It is the more permanent parks, or a mixture of where the problems seem to be, or where to us. 

I guess Australia too expensive to be a Hippy in. Better off going to India or South East Asia if wanting, what is left of the Hippy experience, I'd say. 

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Lots of vans around where i live. Many have Vic plates, some QLD, sadly suspicious activity is suggestive of many of them. Yes Grey Nomads have been part of the landscape for a number of decades. (you seem to get your cruisers or Van nomads with the age) Hardly Hippies though, perhaps some where in the day. 

There are free camping grounds, usually out of the towns a bit. I've stayed in a few in NT. Pretty good actually, people from everywhere, often quite friendly. It is the more permanent parks, or a mixture of where the problems seem to be, or where to us. 

I guess Australia too expensive to be a Hippy in. Better off going to India or South East Asia if wanting, what is left of the Hippy experience, I'd say. 

What do you mean by sadly suspicious?

Are they mobile theives? Brothels? Drug dealers? or what?

I have been in permenent parks in America, some have been lovely, people so friendly. Some you drive into and reverse straight back out, you know it's not the place for you.

I think I was just looking for a gathering, maybe a route that they would follow.

11 hours ago, pob said:

What do you mean by sadly suspicious?

Are they mobile theives? Brothels? Drug dealers? or what?

I have been in permenent parks in America, some have been lovely, people so friendly. Some you drive into and reverse straight back out, you know it's not the place for you.

I think I was just looking for a gathering, maybe a route that they would follow.

Your third suggestion affirmative. It's become very common. Pretty similar here in some respects, although I would suggest it is the longer term parks with more of the issues. At least in anti social type behaviour. 

As for routes it's usually a case of following the sun. You , depending on age, may choose the Grey Nomad path or the younger van life of those going around OZ either as International Travellers or the local variety. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 31/05/2022 at 06:45, Blue Flu said:

Your third suggestion affirmative. It's become very common. Pretty similar here in some respects, although I would suggest it is the longer term parks with more of the issues. At least in anti social type behaviour. 

As for routes it's usually a case of following the sun. You , depending on age, may choose the Grey Nomad path or the younger van life of those going around OZ either as International Travellers or the local variety. 

Gosh calNgary must have over done the laughing gas again, at least hope nothing more 'illicit' shall we call it? While always more than happy to bring on a smile, even laughter , in no way, re reading my post can I detect any part of that post, that would move even the  stiffest of   upper lips.  How odd.

• Haha 1