AFL

Ausvisitor

At the Marvel stadium right now watching my first ever AFL game (or indeed any Aussie rules game).

Incredibly good fun to watch but totally bonkers, and it's going to take a while to get my head around the rules 

Any shortcuts to understanding this game?

Far as I can see rules are:

Bounce ball every now and again.  I suppose there's an increment but frankly are the refs counting?;

Jumping on someone's head is allowed, encouraged and will guarantee Youtube plays forever;

Flamethrowers are not allowed, but the teams would like them to be.

Husband is Victorian, and I spend many an hour asking "what did he get a point for now?" In response, I get asked why the ball goes backwards in rugby.  This is why I like Alpine skiing - you either get to the bottom in a good time or you get limbs torn off by fences - nice and straightforward.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Eera said:

Far as I can see rules are:

Bounce ball every now and again.  I suppose there's an increment but frankly are the refs counting?;

Jumping on someone's head is allowed, encouraged and will guarantee Youtube plays forever;

Flamethrowers are not allowed, but the teams would like them to be.

Husband is Victorian, and I spend many an hour asking "what did he get a point for now?" In response, I get asked why the ball goes backwards in rugby.  This is why I like Alpine skiing - you either get to the bottom in a good time or you get limbs torn off by fences - nice and straightforward.

from my understanding there are actually a lot of rules, as they are in Union, but the advantage rule is played alot, so it appears there are less rules than there are. Keeps the game flowing.

Edited by newjez

4 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

At the Marvel stadium right now watching my first ever AFL game (or indeed any Aussie rules game).

Incredibly good fun to watch but totally bonkers, and it's going to take a while to get my head around the rules 

Any shortcuts to understanding this game?

Far more complicated than it appears but it will take a king time to really understand.  Only good live, it’s not suited to TV unlike the NRL, Super Rugby etc.  

• 2 months later...