Temporary Campervan Insurance in Uk for a holiday back home on Aussie Licence

Forbes1

Hi,

We're coming back to the UK for a month for a holiday after living in Oz for 10 years & our U.K. driving licences have expired. Anyhow We're going to buy a campervan & then get a mate to sell it when we go (hopefully save some money) anyhow anyone had any luck getting temporary insurance & using their aussie licences & if so who & how much. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Billy & Jane 

1 hour ago, Forbes1 said:

Hi,

We're coming back to the UK for a month for a holiday after living in Oz for 10 years & our U.K. driving licences have expired. Anyhow We're going to buy a campervan & then get a mate to sell it when we go (hopefully save some money) anyhow anyone had any luck getting temporary insurance & using their aussie licences & if so who & how much. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Billy & Jane 

On a note not related to driving licences, have you already found the camper van? If not be prepared for a difficult search, since COVID people have gone crazy for them in the UK and the usual "dump" of them into the resale market in the winter didn't happen this year (as people are planning on UK hols in 2022 again) so there are very few available

For a month, by the time you've bought it and insured it and then lost money reselling it, it will almost certainly be cheaper to rent a decent one 

5 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

It will be much simpler to just re-apply for a UK driving licence using your mates (or a family members) address.

They are currently churning them out in about 3 weeks from application (having almost caught up from their horrendous COVID backlog)

And almost certainly not legal

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, welljock said:

And almost certainly not legal

It's 100% legal. So long as they are still UK citizens and haven't surrendered their licence.

The address on your licence is your UK contact address it does not have to be your residential address. Many licences are registered to service addresses.

Equally it is perfectly legal to have a UK and an AUS licence at the same time.

In fact similarly to rules in AUS if you have a UK licence (a driver number not the physical card which can expire) you are supposed to drive on that permission in the UK rather than your AUS licence (vice versa in AUS - I just got my new NSW licence and I had to sign an undertaking that I would only use my NSW licence in AUS and not my UK one)

Edited by Ausvisitor
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

On a note not related to driving licences, have you already found the camper van? If not be prepared for a difficult search, since COVID people have gone crazy for them in the UK and the usual "dump" of them into the resale market in the winter didn't happen this year (as people are planning on UK hols in 2022 again) so there are very few available

For a month, by the time you've bought it and insured it and then lost money reselling it, it will almost certainly be cheaper to rent a decent one 

Oh yee of little faith, there's plenty of vans in our price range, may even just buy a small van, Berlingo, Caddy etc. . Lived in vans for years in Europe & U.K. & Aussie, so kind of know the deal. Really interested in Insurance recommendations, thanks for your input 👍

5 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

It's 100% legal. So long as they are still UK citizens and haven't surrendered their licence.

The address on your licence is your UK contact address it does not have to be your residential address. Many licences are registered to service addresses.

In fact similarly to rules in AUS if you have a UK licence (a driver number not the physical card which can expire) you are supposed to drive on that permission in the UK rather than your AUS licence (vice versa in AUS - I just got my new NSW licence and I had to sign an undertaking that I would only use my NSW licence in AUS and not my UK one)

I believe if you no longer live in the UK you should hand in your UK driving licence.

• Like 3

The speed of any services in the UK at the moment is slow so buying, registering, insuring then selling a van just for a month looks hard work to me. Have you looked at rentals or borrowing one from an enthusiast club perhaps? Would be different for three months but a month will fly by.

22 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

We was told by DVLA you need to be a resident and living in the UK to hold a UK licence , not live in Australia as a resident and hold one as its illegal . 

6 minutes ago, steveshe said:

We was told by DVLA you need to be a resident and living in the UK to hold a UK licence , not live in Australia as a resident and hold one as its illegal . 

However as soon as a British citizen sets foot on UK soil they are deemed resident in the UK. They may also have habitual residence somewhere else (like Australia)

9 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

However as soon as a British citizen sets foot on UK soil they are deemed resident in the UK. They may also have habitual residence somewhere else (like Australia)

Can you provide a link to prove that?  I'd be surprised if it is the case.  

For things like transacting on a bank account, registering with a GP, or getting treatment under the NHS, it's not enough to be a citizen - you must also show proof of a permanent address.  

• Thanks 1