Contributory Aged Parent Visa 864

Abi2002

Hi,

My father in law is 76 yrs old and living alone -overseas -  wife recently passed away , only child( my husband) Australian citizen.

We think that 864 is the best visa for him.

My question is what is the quickest visa to bring him here so we can start the application process ? 

With Christmas coming I fear he will become depressed and unfortunately we cannot travel to see him.

8 hours ago, Abi2002 said:

Hi,

My father in law is 76 yrs old and living alone -overseas -  wife recently passed away , only child( my husband) Australian citizen.

We think that 864 is the best visa for him.

My question is what is the quickest visa to bring him here so we can start the application process ? 

With Christmas coming I fear he will become depressed and unfortunately we cannot travel to see him.

I invite you to be cautious about being so open with your plans on a forum such as this.

That said, parents can now seek an exemption to travel to Australia to join children who are permanent residents or citizens.

A visitor visa application runs alongside the exemption application.

Note that visitor arrivals without quarantining are not possible in all of the States.

Best regards.

5 hours ago, A&J said:

Has anyone gone through the 864 experience that I could ask questions of?

You are going to have to budget many thousands. May I suggest that you consult one of the RMAs who posts on this forum for advice about eligibility and strategy, before you commit to a course of action?

A reputable RMA has already responded to your post!

• Like 1

I am aware of the costs and time frame for contributory parent visas, and the fact that on application a BVA will be issued. I would like to know

1. Typically how long after issue of BVA would I expect to have to undergo a health exam, and would there be a health exam close to and before the issue of 864 ( I.e. possibly a second exam)

2. Can you suggest a suitable overseas visitor health insurance policy for the duration of the BVA

3. With regard to tax, is the BVA considered a temporary visa, I.e. is there any tax liability to the Australian government before the 864 is granted.

Thank you in advance for your help. 

1 hour ago, A&J said:

I am aware of the costs and time frame for contributory parent visas, and the fact that on application a BVA will be issued. I would like to know

1. Typically how long after issue of BVA would I expect to have to undergo a health exam, and would there be a health exam close to and before the issue of 864 ( I.e. possibly a second exam)

2. Can you suggest a suitable overseas visitor health insurance policy for the duration of the BVA

3. With regard to tax, is the BVA considered a temporary visa, I.e. is there any tax liability to the Australian government before the 864 is granted.

Alan Collett, who answered you earlier, is both an RMA and an RTA, he would be ideally qualified to answer all these questions. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A&J said:

There is a preliminary health exam on application, but it's not in-depth.  There will be a full health exam closer to grant, but since the waiting time for the visa is at least 15 years, he may not live long enough to have to face it. If he does make it to 91 and he fails the medical, then you'll have to hope he's sick enough to qualify for a medical visa, othrewise you'll have to ship  him home.  

The BVA is a temporary visa.  He will not be a permanent resident of Australia, and he will lose his residency status (and his access to the NHS and all benefits) in the UK, too. So he's going to be in limbo for the rest of his life, probably. There are a few other snags too. 

He will have no access to pensioner or aged care subsidies in Australia.   If he's currently living in the UK, then he'll be able to get most medical treatment on Medicare under the reciprocal agreement, but as I'm sure you know, Medicare doesn't cover everything.   Prescriptions are worth checking - most people his age will be on a few medications, which he'll be getting free in the UK, and Overseas Health Insurance doesn't cover prescriptions.   For instance, my sister is on heart medications which she gets free in the UK but would cost her about $3,000 a year in Australia even on the PBS.  

His British pension will be frozen at the current rate and he will receive no further increases (so you can imagine how much it will be worth in 10-15 years' time).  

If he wants to leave the country, even on holiday, he will need to apply for permission (a BVB) each time. 

If he wants to buy a property to live in, he'll have to apply for special permission from FIRB (for a fee), and then he'll be slugged a foreign investor's fee on top of the purchase price (around $45,000 on a $500,000 property). 

32 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

There is a preliminary health exam on application, but it's not in-depth.  There will be a full health exam closer to grant, but since the waiting time for the visa is at least 15 years, he may not live long enough to have to face it. If he does make it to 91 and he fails the medical, then you'll have to hope he's sick enough to qualify for a medical visa, othrewise you'll have to ship  him home.  

The BVA is a temporary visa.  He will not be a permanent resident of Australia, and he will lose his residency status (and his access to the NHS and all benefits) in the UK, too. So he's going to be in limbo for the rest of his life, probably. There are a few other snags too. 

He will have no access to pensioner or aged care subsidies in Australia.   If he's currently living in the UK, then he'll be able to get most medical treatment on Medicare under the reciprocal agreement, but as I'm sure you know, Medicare doesn't cover everything.   Prescriptions are worth checking - most people his age will be on a few medications, which he'll be getting free in the UK, and Overseas Health Insurance doesn't cover prescriptions.   For instance, my sister is on heart medications which she gets free in the UK but would cost her about $3,000 a year in Australia even on the PBS.  

His British pension will be frozen at the current rate and he will receive no further increases (so you can imagine how much it will be worth in 10-15 years' time).  

If he wants to leave the country, even on holiday, he will need to apply for permission (a BVB) each time. 

If he wants to buy a property to live in, he'll have to apply for special permission from FIRB (for a fee), and then he'll be slugged a foreign investor's fee on top of the purchase price (around $45,000 on a $500,000 property). 

Reference health providers covering the cost of private prescriptions, this might need checking, It might depend on the provider of overseas health cover?, but ours was with Medibank and covered private health prescriptions. I met with a friend who is still on the 410 retirement visa last week, we we’re funnily enough discussing the cost of prescriptions, and she is definitely covered. Possibly different levels of health cover depending on the visa type, but worth checking 

42 minutes ago, ramot said:

Reference health providers covering the cost of private prescriptions, this might need checking, It might depend on the provider of overseas health cover?, but ours was with Medibank and covered private health prescriptions. I met with a friend who is still on the 410 retirement visa last week, we we’re funnily enough discussing the cost of prescriptions, and she is definitely covered. Possibly different levels of health cover depending on the visa type, but worth checking 

Good to know.  I glanced at a few of them and didn't see one with prescriptions covered, but I didn't do an exhaustive search.  I assume it would be more expensive but well worth it, I'd say.  AFAIK the type of visa makes no difference.

Edited by Marisawright

32 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Good to know.  I glanced at a few of them and didn't see one with prescriptions covered, but I didn't do an exhaustive search.  I assume it would be more expensive but well worth it, I'd say.  AFAIK the type of visa makes no difference.

Guaranteed not to be cheaper!!!! I know the cost has gone since we got PR a couple of years ago, and we paid $11,000 annually for top cover.

• Like 1

Either your father in law or you will need deep pockets to live in a bridging visa for the rest of his life.  If he ever needs care whether it’s in his home or in a residential care home (no one can ever say that won’t be needed) then he will have to pay for it and those things run into thousands a month.  I noticed you put  ‘we think it’s the best thing’ is it what he wants too? Based on getting to that age without already having made the move, maybe he doesn’t really want to.  Could assisted living in the UK be worth looking into.  He’d get help and have plenty of opportunity to be with others.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I noticed you put  ‘we think it’s the best thing’ is it what he wants too? ..... Could assisted living in the UK be worth looking into.  He’d get help and have plenty of opportunity to be with others.  

Tulip makes a good point.  It's understandable you think he'd be better off with you to look after him, but do make sure he'd really be happier with you.

Does he have a circle of friends in the UK?  He'll have to leave them all behind, and that could mean he'll be even lonelier in Australia than if he stayed in the UK. 

I'm sure you're a busy working couple - are you sure you'll have the time and motivation to keep him company, or will he be sitting on his own all day?   Check what activities are available for people his age in your area and whether they're likely to interest him - as well as making sure he'll be able to reach them (no free bus pass for him in Oz).   If you have kids, I'm sure they'll fill some of his time at first - but in a few years' time when they're older, they won't want to spend all weekend and after school with grandpa.  Will you be available to entertain him instead, or will you want to live your own lives?  As Tulip says, moving to assisted living, where he'll be living with other people his own age, might be a much better solution.

Edited by Marisawright

22 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Either your father in law or you will need deep pockets to live in a bridging visa for the rest of his life.  If he ever needs care whether it’s in his home or in a residential care home (no one can ever say that won’t be needed) then he will have to pay for it and those things run into thousands a month.  I noticed you put  ‘we think it’s the best thing’ is it what he wants too? Based on getting to that age without already having made the move, maybe he doesn’t really want to.  Could assisted living in the UK be worth looking into.  He’d get help and have plenty of opportunity to be with others.  

Absolutely! This!!!! The older people get the more comfortable they are with their roots and I think supported accommodation is Absolutely ideal. That way he won't find himself isolated on the other side of the world away from a lifetime of friendships - sure he will have you but that's all he will have. I think it is sometimes hard to understand the stresses of moving across the world when you are elderly - its hard work finding new friendships.

• Like 1