Shipping Company recommendation London -Melbourne

Anna Mat

The last one i used  ( 2018) for a UK --> AUS  move was PSS.

They were ok-ish , which ever company you go with, it really depends on the crew you get on the day  ( i did a few of these moves . UK-AUS once , AUS-UK twice , West Coast  to East Coast  in Aus a few times too).

As an example :We had prepared all our item and sorted shows/boots  and wooden item into some crates to be packed  separate , when we unpacked on the other side they just slapped a label on it without protective packaging and put it into the container . Some packing teams  don't spend too much time thinking when they pack your house.

We know now to pack/protect all the stuff that is important to us ourselves .

They all promise you the world and have glossy brochures with red carpet  .  Then on the other end  you get a completely different company to do the delivery ...

i think we had Kent delivering for them in OZ, which was OK.

Came back to the UK with Grace which were excellent , they have used WridgWays to deliver here which were ok apart from the custom clearance and delivery took forever which led to spending two weeks in an empty house ( i put this  down  to Covid being a "new" thing in 2020 ).

I have used shared container and sole small containers in the past , didn't really experience any difference, arrived about in the same time frame .

PSS were very pedantic about the cubic meter used and send us a bill for just over a tenner  because we were over by a whisker , Grace was more Aussie style "Yeah Nah , she'll be right mate no drama " 🙂 

i never do the insurance with the removal company , have always used Letten Percival for that .

I will do the move myself again  in about another 12 month (UK - AUS) ....

• Thanks 1

Our two Sevenseas MoveCubes arrived here in Melbourne this week, after leaving the UK in late May. It was a very positive experience without any problems. Very good communications from Sevenseas, their website is easy to use and you can track the progress of the ship (we even got to watch the ship arriving in Melbourne). At both ends the drivers were on time, very helpful and friendly. All costs were as per the original quote and no additional charges when we changed the delivery address in the last week. Two large MoveCubes cost about £2,500 plus AU$700.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RandL said:

The last one i used  ( 2018) for a UK --> AUS  move was PSS.

They were ok-ish , which ever company you go with, it really depends on the crew you get on the day  ( i did a few of these moves . UK-AUS once , AUS-UK twice , West Coast  to East Coast  in Aus a few times too).

As an example :We had prepared all our item and sorted shows/boots  and wooden item into some crates to be packed  separate , when we unpacked on the other side they just slapped a label on it without protective packaging and put it into the container . Some packing teams  don't spend too much time thinking when they pack your house.

We know now to pack/protect all the stuff that is important to us ourselves .

They all promise you the world and have glossy brochures with red carpet  .  Then on the other end  you get a completely different company to do the delivery ...

i think we had Kent delivering for them in OZ, which was OK.

Came back to the UK with Grace which were excellent , they have used WridgWays to deliver here which were ok apart from the custom clearance and delivery took forever which led to spending two weeks in an empty house ( i put this  down  to Covid being a "new" thing in 2020 ).

I have used shared container and sole small containers in the past , didn't really experience any difference, arrived about in the same time frame .

PSS were very pedantic about the cubic meter used and send us a bill for just over a tenner  because we were over by a whisker , Grace was more Aussie style "Yeah Nah , she'll be right mate no drama " 🙂 

i never do the insurance with the removal company , have always used Letten Percival for that .

I will do the move myself again  in about another 12 month (UK - AUS) ....

Thansk a lot ! I really apprecaite your detailed review on shipping companies .

Best of luck with your move ! 

8 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Our two Sevenseas MoveCubes arrived here in Melbourne this week, after leaving the UK in late May. It was a very positive experience without any problems. Very good communications from Sevenseas, their website is easy to use and you can track the progress of the ship (we even got to watch the ship arriving in Melbourne). At both ends the drivers were on time, very helpful and friendly. All costs were as per the original quote and no additional charges when we changed the delivery address in the last week. Two large MoveCubes cost about £2,500 plus AU$700.

Thanks a lot Susie. Very helpful. Hope you are enjoying your new location ,despite the lockdown. We are aiming to get to Melbourne in Q1 2022 🙂

1 hour ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Why did you have to pay $700 in addition to the English cost SusieRoo?

There is always extra to pay when the Movecube arrives because they can't predict the Australian charges.  They usually give you an estimate in the quote though, you just have to be sure to read the small print.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

There is always extra to pay when the Movecube arrives because they can't predict the Australian charges.  They usually give you an estimate in the quote though, you just have to be sure to read the small print.

Same here an "Quarantine examination fee" has to be paid when your stuff lands in Australia, in our case it was A$480.00 . It depends if everything is going through or if there are charges for cleaning or destroying of goods if not meeting quarantine regulations . 

Just make sure everything  outdoorsy  smells like Jeyes Fluid 🙂 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Did your contents arrive safely with no damage, mould or mildew? Did you pack it all yourself? And did you insure it? If so who with? 

17 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Did it take roughly 12 weeks then? Everyone keeps warning me it will be delayed a lot due to global Container shortages and other issues. 

That's great yours arrived fairly quickly under the circumstances. 

5 hours ago, bicek said:

Did your contents arrive safely with no damage, mould or mildew? Did you pack it all yourself? And did you insure it? If so who with? 

No sign of damp, all packed by us and you wouldn't have noticed any difference from closing the MoveCubes in the UK to opening the doors here. We didn't ship any large items, no mattresses or white goods, everything was in cardboard boxes so I’m not sure if this makes a difference. Also, I don’t think they inspected anything as no boxes had been opened.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bicek said:

Did it take roughly 12 weeks then? Everyone keeps warning me it will be delayed a lot due to global Container shortages and other issues. 

That's great yours arrived fairly quickly under the circumstances. 

I don’t think there is a problem with container shortages. Sailing time is only about six weeks and any delay is due to the time it takes to consolidate a number of MoveCubes into a full container. We are currently living in South Melbourne, which is very close to the port, so I guess this may have helped with our delivery (less than a week from ship arriving to receiving our stuff).

• Thanks 1

On 02/09/2021 at 15:02, RandL said:

i never do the insurance with the removal company , have always used Letten Percival for that

Hi RandL , is there are reason for using another insurance company ex.Letten Percival ? Have you ever had a bad experience? many thanks ! 

Just now, Anna Mat said:

Hi RandL , is there are reason for using another insurance company ex.Letten Percival ? Have you ever had a bad experience? many thanks ! 

It is typically cheaper to get insurance directly rather than through the middlemen (the removals company are just middlemen and charge you more for the same cover) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna Mat said:

What  bicek said. It normally works out cheaper  to go directly to an insurer