Moving back to the UK!

NottmTex

Hey guys!

Firstly I just wanted to say thanks for the content you’ve all contributed to. Reading through some of it has been super helpful!

I’m thinking about moving back to the UK next year with my partner.

I left England at 5 years old (dual-citizen now) and have been back nearly every year.

All my family is back in the UK and I stayed as Melbourne is all I’ve known living wise & I played sport as a job for 8 years before having to retire last year.

Now I’m retired from sport I have nothing keeping me here, don’t get me wrong I love it here but I feel guilty as my grandparents, parents are getting older.

My questions are what are some key considerations? Then what are also some of the key things to do, setup bank accounts, fly stuff over etc

My partner isn’t English either, she’s an Oral Health Therapist so could potentially work for the NHS and we’ve been looking at a partner visa.

Would seriously appreciate any help!

Thanks!

You’ll need your NI number. You should have had one when you were born so your mum may have it, otherwise you’ll need to apply for it. Fairly straightforward though. You can swap your Aus licence for a U.K. one but you’re going to need to establish some proof of address quite quickly - usually official documentation to that address.  Bank accounts also will require proof of address so it’s a bit chicken and egg with establishing proof!

Does your partner have any British ancestry? Grandparents are good because a British grandparent means they can apply for an Ancestry visa which is a whole lot easier than a Partner visa which requires you to prove an annual income over about £20k or savings over £65k (sorry, forgot the exact amounts). I believe partner visa recipients must prove their status (including financial support) every year.

Otherwise, if you can take unpaid leave from your current job, you might want to treat it as a sabbatical and see how you like it. Hedge your bets as it were. 

As for sending stuff - we were happy users of the Seven Seas move cube service but we didn’t have furniture to transport. It was economical and efficient but you do have to pack everything yourself. 

• Like 1

The partner visa requires you to evidence you can financially support your partner by showing you have earned x amount over the last 2 years (I think), and also evidence you have a job lined up in the UK to continue that support. You also have to show evidence of having suitable accommodation for your partner and a host of other things. The burden is on you as the sponsor to be able to evidence you can provide all these things for your partner (which is a bit antiquated).

If your partner is young enough to get a working holiday visa then that might be the simplest way to go. If you want to stay in the UK longer then you can apply for a partner visa later, but you’ll already be in the UK, have a job, somewhere to live etc which would make it a lot easier in terms of gathering evidence for the partner visa.

I really appreciate all your comments! @Quoll knowing my mother she would have likely lost that NI haha but I'm sure I can get another pretty easily. I am moving back to my hometown of Nottingham where all my family live so proving my address should surely be straightforward to prove I would have thought?

I was fortunate enough to stay in Nottingham for my former job (cricketer) for 2/3 months a year and play Cricket which was great. I loved it but would obviously be different living in the UK to a 2/3 month stay. Especially working and going through my first winter since I was 5 in the UK! 

Is there anything else you can think of in regards to admin based stuff? Will sort out address, NI etc. Just wondering if there's anything else I should be considering.

@MacGyver I think my partner's dad was actually born in the UK, will have to check. So if this was the case going for an ancestry visa would be a lot easier? We've done some more research and seen that getting my partner a work visa for 2 years would be a lot easier than the partner visa, especially as her skills are deemed as "important skills" in dental care in the public system.

1 hour ago, NottmTex said:

@MacGyver I think my partner's dad was actually born in the UK, will have to check. So if this was the case going for an ancestry visa would be a lot easier? 

My Australian born child was able to get a British passport simply because i was his British born parent, so could be even simpler…………

1 hour ago, NottmTex said:

I am moving back to my hometown of Nottingham where all my family live so proving my address should surely be straightforward to prove I would have thought?

No more so than where ever you moved to.   It’s won’t be difficult, you’ll just need evidence of your address, a utility bill for example.  If you’re renting then you can get one of them quick enough.  If you’re planning on living with family for a while, you can ask them to add your name onto one of their utility bills and request an up to date bill be sent.  

It’s a good idea to get evidence of no claims on your car insurance as some insurers will take it into account.  We had some exorbitant quotes after 15 years away and no credit history.  AliQ advised me to contact NFU and they were happy to accept our Australian no claims, saving us hundreds of pounds.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NottmTex said:

I am moving back to my hometown of Nottingham where all my family live so proving my address should surely be straightforward to prove I would have thought?

Actually if you are going to live with family, proving your address will be more difficult, not less.  Banks will ask for a copy of a utility bill for that address with YOUR name on it.  If you're not paying the bills at that address, your name won't be on anything. 

One way around it:  a month or so before you go, notify your Australian bank of your change of address (don't put "c/o" on the address, just your name and address as if it's your own home).    If you get your credit card bill posted to you, then that's all you need to do - your next credit card bill will be waiting for you when you arrive.   If you normally get it electronically, then you'll need to request a paper statement to be sent to you.  You can then use that as proof of address.

Don't close your Australian bank accounts by the way, they'll be handy in future.  Take a good look at your superannuation fund - make sure you're in a good one (note, you can't hold a SMSF if you're overseas). Once you've left, write to tell them your new address and instruct them to cancel all insurances.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Actually if you are going to live with family, proving your address will be more difficult, not less.  Banks will ask for a copy of a utility bill for that address with YOUR name on it.  If you're not paying the bills at that address, your name won't be on anything. 

One way around it:  a month or so before you go, notify your Australian bank of your change of address (don't put "c/o" on the address, just your name and address as if it's your own home).    If you get your credit card bill posted to you, then that's all you need to do - your next credit card bill will be waiting for you when you arrive.   If you normally get it electronically, then you'll need to request a paper statement to be sent to you.  You can then use that as proof of address.

Don't close your Australian bank accounts by the way, they'll be handy in future.  Take a good look at your superannuation fund - make sure you're in a good one (note, you can't hold a SMSF if you're overseas). Once you've left, write to tell them your new address and instruct them to cancel all insurances.  

Many people get the family member to ring up British Gas for example and add another name to the bill.  They can then just ask for an up to date bill to be sent out and they then have their proof of address. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NottmTex said:

Very helpful everyone, appreciated! @Marisawright as far as Super funds go, is it best to make sure I'm in one not charging fees whilst I'm overseas? Will make a note to cancel the insurances on it, that's where most of my fees come from.

They all have to charge fees because they’ll continue to actively manage your investments even if you’re no longer contributing. 

Personally I would go for one that charges low fees like Australian Super

• Like 2