491 mechanic 90 points

I’m only at the eoi stage and have put one in for Tasmania, but hoping to put one in for nsw in July. How long did it take for people 491 to come through pre covid. It’s kind of getting stressful not being able to carry on with normal life and putting eveything on hold whilst waiting for some movement 

The best plan is not to put your life on hold.    When you buy a ticket in a lottery, do you put your life on hold while you wait to see if you've won?   

All you've got right now is the chance that you might be able to get a visa.   Even if you've got enough points and your occupation is on the list. It's like applying for a job:  you're up against a lot of other applicants who have just as many points and just as good qualifications, and they can't hire you all.  There's a quota. 

No one knows when things will get back to normal, and even when they do, it looks like there will be big reductions in the lists.  I'm guessing we won't know till the end of 2021. Then you are up against a huge backlog of people who applied in 2019/2020.  And even when things are normal, the whole process takes around a year.

Sorry to paint a dismal picture, but it's reality. Your best plan is to get on with your life as if you'll be staying where you are.  Then if you get the visa it's a bonus - and if you don't, you haven't wasted several years of your life hanging around.

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, wrussell said:

It is just about fatal to lodge an EoI for more than one state or territory.

I was about to say the same thing.   When you apply for a visa for a state, you are supposed to be eager to live in that particular state.  If you then go and apply for another state, you're making it really obvious you're only using the state as a way to get to Australia.  It makes them worry that you'll arrive and only stay in the state long enough to get PR, then you'll be off.

I've not got to EOI yet. Does this mean that each state can see that you've applied for another?

Even so I'm surprised that it's frowned upon. A lot of people just want to live in Australia regardless of state (rightly or wrongly).

I understand the OP's point about life being on hold, especially financially. I'm looking at our tired garden and would overhaul it but would prefer to save the money for Oz. There's a few things around the house like that.

57 minutes ago, martl_2001 said:

Even so I'm surprised that it's frowned upon.

It would be illogical for it to not be frowned upon. After all one is pledging to contribute to their chosen state's economy by bringing one's skills.

By submitting EOIs to multiple states, one comes across as having no commitment and loyalty to a particular state, implying that one may choose greener grass if the opportunity comes along.

Thus the original state who sponsored that person has deprived someone else of the opportunity to contribute to their economy and society.

Edited by DukeNinja
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, martl_2001 said:

I've not got to EOI yet. Does this mean that each state can see that you've applied for another?

Even so I'm surprised that it's frowned upon. A lot of people just want to live in Australia regardless of state (rightly or wrongly).

I understand the OP's point about life being on hold, especially financially. I'm looking at our tired garden and would overhaul it but would prefer to save the money for Oz. There's a few things around the house like that.

You might want to live in Australia regardless of state but each state  is entitled to be sure that people they offer places to are committed to life in their state. A lot of people have been accepted by one state but then immediately reneged and gone to another and, quite rightly, they get mighty miffed about it.  

I'd agree with the others, don't put your life on hold, if the garden needs doing then  get on with it. Assume you'll be staying then anything else is a bonus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

I'd agree with the others, don't put your life on hold, if the garden needs doing then  get on with it. Assume you'll be staying then anything else is a bonus. 

I'm talking about projects where the financial cost would scupper the migration funds, rather than pulling up a few weeds, although I'd be open to excuses to get out of that 😉

7 hours ago, martl_2001 said:

I'm talking about projects where the financial cost would scupper the migration funds, rather than pulling up a few weeds, although I'd be open to excuses to get out of that 😉

What are you going to do with your home sell up if you get a visa ? 
if it’s that bad you are going to be getting knocked down on price or if you do the work you will get your money back. So will have money in the end. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rallyman said:

What are you going to do with your home sell up if you get a visa ? 
if it’s that bad you are going to be getting knocked down on price or if you do the work you will get your money back. So will have money in the end. 

Not initially no.

It's not bad. It's a really nice house. We'd be changing things based on personal preference.