Lodging an EOI in the current climate - 190 visa

skizza83

Hi there,

My Skills assessment has recently back fine today which is nice news (and my title is on the skilled shortage list). Unfortunately though because of the current state of the world with Covid still going on, it seems there are no states allowing offshore applications (from me checking each states gov website). 

My main question is - Is it a complete waste of time trying to lodge my EOI at the moment and if i do so will it just lead to my EOI being rejected? I have 2 different states which I want to apply for (which do have the skills on their list, but just not for offshore applicants). Also, should I lodge more than 1 EOI - 1 for each state of the 2 states if that is possible or should it all be done under the same one?

Thanks

On 20/03/2021 at 00:59, skizza83 said:

Hi there,

My Skills assessment has recently back fine today which is nice news (and my title is on the skilled shortage list). Unfortunately though because of the current state of the world with Covid still going on, it seems there are no states allowing offshore applications (from me checking each states gov website). 

My main question is - Is it a complete waste of time trying to lodge my EOI at the moment and if i do so will it just lead to my EOI being rejected? I have 2 different states which I want to apply for (which do have the skills on their list, but just not for offshore applicants). Also, should I lodge more than 1 EOI - 1 for each state of the 2 states if that is possible or should it all be done under the same one?

Thanks

You can create multiple EOIs so it's really up to you. Most states are not accepting offshore applications atm.

A couple of questions off the back of OP's post.

If an EOI is submitted does it sit in a queue until offshore applicants are invited again, or is it rejected based on current conditions?

Secondly in PIOer's opinions how likely is the current skilled occupation list likely to stay in place once borders reopen and offshore invites are active again? I know the odd role comes and goes. We're at the start of the process so don't want to pay for a skills assessment for a role that is on the list but not being invited for offshore applicants, if the whole list will be overhauled once offshore are invited again. 

I've heard there'll be an overhaul to the visa process but I'm not sure if that relates to the visa subclasses available (with an emphasis on regional Oz) or overhauling the occupation list. 

9 hours ago, martl_2001 said:

I've heard there'll be an overhaul to the visa process but I'm not sure if that relates to the visa subclasses available (with an emphasis on regional Oz) or overhauling the occupation list. 

From what agents have been saying, the overhaul will affect what occupations are on the list.  That's the point, because Covid caused such a spike in unemployment and obviously, they don't want the bad publicity of bringing in migrants if there are locals looking for jobs, who could be reskilled (whether that's realistic or not, the government is all about what looks good).

13 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

From what agents have been saying, the overhaul will affect what occupations are on the list.  

Do you think the possible overhaul will be announced in time for what would usually be another round of invites in April, or do you think it's all too uncertain still? Sorry to jump on the post but we're in a very similar position and feel like we're stuck in limbo! I was hopeful they's start slowly opening things back up around now but it's not looking likely is it! 

2 hours ago, tonks said:

Do you think the possible overhaul will be announced in time for what would usually be another round of invites in April, or do you think it's all too uncertain still? Sorry to jump on the post but we're in a very similar position and feel like we're stuck in limbo! I was hopeful they's start slowly opening things back up around now but it's not looking likely is it! 

No

15 hours ago, martl_2001 said:

If an EOI is submitted does it sit in a queue until offshore applicants are invited again, or is it rejected based on current conditions?

The EOI sits in the queue until it gets picked by DHA/State for an Invitation. Or else it will remain in the system until it gets expired after 2 years. You can submit a new EOI as and when its gets expired or about to expire. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

From what agents have been saying, the overhaul will affect what occupations are on the list.  That's the point, because Covid caused such a spike in unemployment and obviously, they don't want the bad publicity of bringing in migrants if there are locals looking for jobs, who could be reskilled (whether that's realistic or not, the government is all about what looks good).

Oh no. Not what I wanted to hear. Hopefully healthcare will be unaffected.

The truth is that the future direction of the Migration program is uncertain. We need to wait for A) the borders to re open and B) see what approach the Government takes.

The reality is that there are many sectors that are struggling to find staff, despite the increased unemployment rate.

The Migration program may be overhauled completely or may just become more targeted to specific occupations.

Only time will tell.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Brilliant, thanks Raul 

I have seen a few people say that their offshore applications have been granted the past few weeks. Have you heard anything else similar?

One of which was Manufacturer for South Australia with 75 points. What I don't understand though is after lodging your EOI, do you not need to also submit an application to the state on their gov website i.e here: https://apply.migration.sa.gov.au/apply_page.php?,d0JsekkwS0JIL3I3TEhpV1g0TkFrUT09? And if so I wonder how they submitted the application when it specifically asks for an Australian residential address (Because If you are currently residing offshore, you are ineligible to apply for state nomination at present).