Visitor visa (subclass 600) Sponsored family stream

Lilly23

Hi.

I and my wife are expecting our second baby in August 2021. Our first baby is 10 months and it will be difficult for us to handle things during the delivery of the second baby. Therefore, we want to call my mother-in-law from overseas on "Visitor visa (subclass 600) Sponsored family stream".

Due to the current (Covid-19) situation, I understand entering and leaving Australia is not easy. 

But at the same time, we need my mother-in-law to be here with us during the delivery time as my wife is already feeling very depressed due to the things we will face during the delivery of our second baby.

The delivery is in August so maybe things will get better by that time? As vaccine has already rolled-out. Also, we live in Perth and here the situation is comparatively better than the rest of the country. My mother-in-law lives in Pakistan where the vaccine is already started. Maybe she can get vaccinated before she comes here.

Please advise. What can we do to make our case strong? 

Bye.

Lilly!

Not likely to happen, you're going to have to go it alone as Australia is closed to international visitors.  There are plenty of Australian citizens who want to return and cant get back so they really need to have priority.  Could your wife fly back to Pakistan to have the baby if she is that unable to cope?

Just now, Quoll said:

Not likely to happen, you're going to have to go it alone as Australia is closed to international visitors.  There are plenty of Australian citizens who want to return and cant get back so they really need to have priority.  Could your wife fly back to Pakistan to have the baby if she is that unable to cope?

Thanks for your reply. We actually first assessed the option of flying to Pakistan, but after consulting with our GP here and some family doctors in Pakistan, we came to the conclusion that delivering the baby will be better here mainly due to the health facilities that are provided here are very good, plus my wife has developed gestational diabetes due to pregnancy and her consultation doctors here are following with her to control her diabetes. She needs to attend the hospital whenever the doctor calls her. 

Don't you think we should actually explain the case to the case officer with the supported documentation and maybe they issue visas on compassionate grounds?

Thanks.

Lilly!

13 minutes ago, Lilly23 said:

... after consulting with our GP here and some family doctors in Pakistan, we came to the conclusion that delivering the baby will be better here mainly due to the health facilities that are provided here ...

Don't you think we should actually explain the case to the case officer with the supported documentation and maybe they issue visas on compassionate grounds?

What supported documentation do you have?   Has her doctor said it's essential for your wife's health to have her mother present for the birth?  Will the doctor put that in writing? That's the kind of supporting documentation you will need.

With all due respect, I had 3 babies in 2 and 3 quarter years. Yes, it is tough and no, I didn't have my mum here and my husband worked two weeks in Hong Kong every month from before my eldest was born until my youngest was 4. Having a parent come here on compassionate grounds for childbirth is exceptionally unlikely a reason for a visa to be granted. There are thousands if not hundred of thousand of circumstances just like yours - I have had several friends visa requests denied to visit dying relatives - unfortunately in a pandemic we need to accept that things will be hard and not to our liking. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Lilly23 said:

Hi.

I and my wife are expecting our second baby in August 2021. Our first baby is 10 months and it will be difficult for us to handle things during the delivery of the second baby. Therefore, we want to call my mother-in-law from overseas on "Visitor visa (subclass 600) Sponsored family stream".

Due to the current (Covid-19) situation, I understand entering and leaving Australia is not easy. 

But at the same time, we need my mother-in-law to be here with us during the delivery time as my wife is already feeling very depressed due to the things we will face during the delivery of our second baby.

The delivery is in August so maybe things will get better by that time? As vaccine has already rolled-out. Also, we live in Perth and here the situation is comparatively better than the rest of the country. My mother-in-law lives in Pakistan where the vaccine is already started. Maybe she can get vaccinated before she comes here.

Please advise. What can we do to make our case strong? 

Bye.

Lilly!

I don’t think you can make your case strong. She’s having a baby and has you her husband for support and help.  There’s a big difference between want and need. People every second of every day have babies, many without any support network at all. You will both be fine and neither child will either notice or remember how troublesome it may be for you. Australia isn’t giving out tourist visas right now and won’t be in August either.  I cannot imagine for one second someone wanting a bit of help because they’re having a baby will be seen as an exceptional situation.  If your wife is struggling she will be able to reach out to Health visitors/doctors. If you’re worried about someone watching your little one during the labour and have no friends/neighbours who can babysit then again, speak to the health visitor.  I’m sure you won’t be the first in that situation and I’m sure they’ll come up with a solution. Second babies are generally born much quicker too.  I hope you and your wife can look forward to the new arrival rather than feeling very depressed.  Have confidence in the fact that you will both manage together, you’ll be ok and reassure your wife of the same.  

• Like 2

I'm sure it's not the norm, but recently someone posted on a facebook group to say that they were having a baby and applied for an exemption for their mother to enter on a tourist visa and it was granted. I don't know the specifics of their situation obviously, but they figured if you dont ask you dont get, and it was granted at the third attempt. If I was in the OP's shoes I would probably assume it won't happen and plan accordingly, but would also roll the dice and apply for an exemption because there's nothing to lose in doing so. Getting a flight over/taking the place of a citizen/PR on a flight who is trying to get home is a whole other debate.

Apple for an exemption on compassionate grounds, please supply all documents needed and a doctors report. It can happen, but it's not guaranteed.

The other problem will be the fact that her mother will need to 14 days quarantine and flights are limited and expensive.

If you have the resources to get her into Australia on a 600 VISA, try it. There is no harm in trying and you may be successful. 

Looks like other people have been successful in this scenario.

On 03/03/2021 at 14:51, Lilly23 said:

Thanks for your reply. We actually first assessed the option of flying to Pakistan, but after consulting with our GP here and some family doctors in Pakistan, we came to the conclusion that delivering the baby will be better here mainly due to the health facilities that are provided here are very good, plus my wife has developed gestational diabetes due to pregnancy and her consultation doctors here are following with her to control her diabetes. She needs to attend the hospital whenever the doctor calls her. 

Thanks.

Lilly!

No harm in applying for tourist visa....and pursue with authorities.

Hi all.

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback, experiences, and advice. 

I understand in the current situation (Covid-19) entering and leaving Australia is not easy as borders have hard restrictions. Therefore, our first priority is to prepare well and prepare for the worst case. The good thing is that we still have some time in the delivery of the baby and therefore we're trying our best to prepare mentally, especially myself so that I can give support to my wife. My wife has spoken to her GP and has discussed her depression issues. GP has also advised us few things on how to cope with depression and how to handle situtation. 

As others suggested, that there is no harm in applying, therefore, we will give it a chance and will keep our fingers crossed!

Thanks again!
Lilly.

• Like 1