Flights to Australia - reliability?

ADM21

Just to update on LHR to Perth via Singapore Airlines.  Having just been bounced from our original Wednesday departure we’ve worked out the same plane flights are just the Friday departures.  Places going fast, and from May onwards for premium fares

2 hours ago, Canbush said:

Just to update on LHR to Perth via Singapore Airlines.  Having just been bounced from our original Wednesday departure we’ve worked out the same plane flights are just the Friday departures.  Places going fast, and from May onwards for premium fares

We have just booked our flights with Singapore Airlines for a bit later in the year,but flying into Sydney. The non transit flights are only listed up to end of May. I guess they are scheduling like this on the basis they may not need to make them non transit after that time period. So for any flights booked for dates after May, passengers will need to double and triple check their booking accordingly to make sure it is converted to a non transit flight if that is still needed at that time. My feeling is that UK might not be under the same restrictions by Singapore at that time. Hard to say but I will keep my eye on it. 

Really sorry your flight got bumped. Did you have to pay £1500 extra per person or for a group? There is a flight schedule floating around the Facebook groups which shows all Singapore Airlines non transit flights listed until end of May. For anyone who wants to fly before then. I can post it to the forum if that helps, I have saved the image somewhere... 

Edited by bicek

18 minutes ago, bicek said:

We have just booked our flights with Singapore Airlines for a bit later in the year,but flying into Sydney. The non transit flights are only listed up to end of May. I guess they are scheduling like this on the basis they may not need to make them non transit after that time period. So for any flights booked for dates after May, passengers will need to double and triple check their booking accordingly to make sure it is converted to a non transit flight if that is still needed at that time. My feeling is that UK might not be under the same restrictions by Singapore at that time. Hard to say but I will keep my eye on it. 

Really sorry your flight got bumped. Did you have to pay £1500 extra per person or for a group? There is a flight schedule floating around the Facebook groups which shows all Singapore Airlines non transit flights listed until end of May. For anyone who wants to fly before then. I can post it to the forum if that helps, I have saved the image somewhere... 

The £1500 was for the two of us.  Brought our tickets up to full economy of about £1350 each.

if you have that image I’d be interested in seeing it.  We aren’t facebook or Twitter users.

Edited by Canbush

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2021 at 10:47, Canbush said:

The £1500 was for the two of us.  Brought our tickets up to full economy of about £1350 each.

if you have that image I’d be interested in seeing it.  We aren’t facebook or Twitter users.

I've attached the schedule up until 31st May here. Yep I don't either but started an account purely to access the info, as it is very helpful! Hope this helps.

154600434_10158458534480129_6803354414487199993_n.jpg

Very interesting- thanks for posting.  I can see why they cancelled our 7th April Wednesday flight, but i am annoyed that they didn’t offer to transfer us to the Saturday flight they introduced instead.  Hard not to think that it was because we had cheap advance purchase economy tickets !

Adm

On 15/02/2021 at 17:19, ADM21 said:

Hi all, 

I'm relocating from London back home to Australia with my family in April and I'm keen to understand whether people are actually getting back home on the first flight they've booked?

We have a flight booked with Qatar in April but want to know how reliable the flights are and are people going to Aus needing to re-book?

Any insight would be really appreciated!

Hi there I was wondering how your relocation is going.... we aren’t planning on gonib to august but are so worried our house will be packed on a ship and we will be stuck here with cancelled flights.... did u have personal belongings to ship out ... how many weeks before your flight did you send your things.... so many ifs and buts at the moment- truly hope not goes well for you 

On 21/03/2021 at 10:30, bicek said:

I’m assuming if I booked a flight in august which turned out not to be same plane transit- I could change my dates to a same transit plane once SA publish their sixty day advanced schedule? 

24 minutes ago, Dreambig1 said:

Adm

Hi there I was wondering how your relocation is going.... we aren’t planning on gonib to august but are so worried our house will be packed on a ship and we will be stuck here with cancelled flights.... did u have personal belongings to ship out ... how many weeks before your flight did you send your things.... so many ifs and buts at the moment- truly hope not goes well for you 

Hi there! We ended up getting seats on a repat flight so we're officially in Australia. Still very pricey even to get seats on that flight but we really didn't want to risk our flight getting bumped as had shipped all our stuff and wrapped up everything in the UK. 

If you haven't registered with DFAT I highly recommend that you do! We received an email a few days after we registered with 2 flight dates and luckily we managed to book quickly but most seats were gone so you need to be fast and keep an eye out on your emails so you can book straight away. 

Hopefully the situation is better in August but for us the DFAT flight was most reliable. Only thing is everything had to be done at the last minute as they don't give you much notice! 

Hoping everything goes well for you! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ADM21 said:

Hi there! We ended up getting seats on a repat flight so we're officially in Australia. Still very pricey even to get seats on that flight but we really didn't want to risk our flight getting bumped as had shipped all our stuff and wrapped up everything in the UK. 

If you haven't registered with DFAT I highly recommend that you do! We received an email a few days after we registered with 2 flight dates and luckily we managed to book quickly but most seats were gone so you need to be fast and keep an eye out on your emails so you can book straight away. 

Hopefully the situation is better in August but for us the DFAT flight was most reliable. Only thing is everything had to be done at the last minute as they don't give you much notice! 

Hoping everything goes well for you! 

Congratulations what a relief! How much notice did u have between the flight dates and the actual flight? I hadn’t thought to register as we are emigrating so don’t consider ourselves in a dire situation just frustrating! We r planning to ship out stuff six weeks before we are due to fly and remain in our house with go air beds etc.... just pray we don’t get bumped weeks and weeks ! 😔 

2 minutes ago, Dreambig1 said:

Congratulations what a relief! How much notice did u have between the flight dates and the actual flight? I hadn’t thought to register as we are emigrating so don’t consider ourselves in a dire situation just frustrating! We r planning to ship out stuff six weeks before we are due to fly and remain in our house with go air beds etc.... just pray we don’t get bumped weeks and weeks ! 😔 

We had about 2 weeks notice. It will ask you about your personal situation and we completed it due to personal reasons of urgently needing to get home. See how you go and hopefully your first flight goes when it's supposed to! 

23 hours ago, ADM21 said:

We had about 2 weeks notice. It will ask you about your personal situation and we completed it due to personal reasons of urgently needing to get home. See how you go and hopefully your first flight goes when it's supposed to! 

Very much the same with us.  Having been bounced once, and with the impending prospect of being homeless by the end of April, we updated our DFAT and were lucky to get a repatriation flight offer two days later (probably coincidence).  We’d previously not tried for the flights as we had commercial flights booked since October and felt there were people with more need of them than us, but that changed when we got bounced with all our belongings enroute to Fremantle.   Assuming a negative Covid test on Saturday we fly for Darwin next Monday. Like so many others, going through the stress and expense of the last few months has been crippling, but we finally have a sense we are almost home!

On 06/04/2021 at 21:39, Dreambig1 said:

So glad- will keep fingers crossed- can I ask how many weeks before your scheduled flight did you ship your belongings?? Do you think the fact you had shipped everything bumped you up the dfat list....

I do think we were just quick reacting to the offer email coming in, unless they're changed the system a lot since we first registered last October.  That said, we certainly were in a hole as we had everything shipped two weeks before our original flight and our temporary accommodation was due to come to an end.  As it happens, I had arranged to have a few days extension of the tenancy just in case we hit a problem on the 7th April, and the DFAT flight dovetailed in perfectly.  If I hadn't done this as a precaution, we would have been in serious trouble with where to stay from 12th April given the lockdown still in place and holiday cottages/airbnb's booked solid for spring school holidays.  None of our UK friends or my family were in a position to help, not least because they all had vulnerable adults they naturally wanted to protect.  We are at the age where sofa surfing isn't so easy :-). We also already have a house to rent in Australia so we need to get there without too much of a delay so as not to jeopardise that - not good with the rental market in Oz being so tight.  We're very lucky to have somewhere already lined up and not having to house hunt when we get there.

At the moment I am seriously stressed out for our PCR Test being negative on Saturday.  No reason why it shouldn't be as we've had a round of vaccination at the beginning of March and have kept well isolated, but after a while you just get completely paranoid that something will go wrong!

All the best for your own trip.

On 09/04/2021 at 00:54, Dreambig1 said:

Good luck for your flight and getting home quickly x 

All good - safely tucked up in the Howard Springs quarantine centre.  Looking forward to a few days in Darwin when we get out, then back home to Perth at last.  Looking forward to being able to give family and friends a hug. 

• Like 4

In case anyone is interested, we have two vouchers for PCR fitness to fly tests available with ExpressText - https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a-test/.  We had arranged tests for our SingaporeAir flights that got bounced, then got repatriation flights instead.  Qantas include testing in their flight costs so our ExpressTest ones are redundant.  The company wouldn’t refund, but sent me two £80 vouchers instead.  They are valid until next April and fully transferable, so I’m happy to offer them to anyone needing tests done and struggling like we were with the sheer costs of everything.

Pete

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Canbush said:

In case anyone is interested, we have two vouchers for PCR fitness to fly tests available with ExpressText - https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a-test/.  We had arranged tests for our SingaporeAir flights that got bounced, then got repatriation flights instead.  Qantas include testing in their flight costs so our ExpressTest ones are redundant.  The company wouldn’t refund, but sent me two £80 vouchers instead.  They are valid until next April and fully transferable, so I’m happy to offer them to anyone needing tests done and struggling like we were with the sheer costs of everything.

Pete

It would be well worth posting this as a separate thread so it gets its own nice big headline, more chance of people seeing it that way.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

It would be well worth posting this as a separate thread so it gets its own nice big headline, more chance of people seeing it that way.

Hi

good thought.  I’d prefer someone gets to use them than have them wasted.

pete

• 2 weeks later...

The most cost effective airline is definitely Qatar.

They can rebook on any flight to another day with no price differences. Etihad stuffed us around even on a business flight, cancelling their low cost options and removing ALL flights that were booked with that option, simply changing the time of the departure and arrival, forcing everyone who bought a ticket to have to upgrade. Fortunately we were able to rebook our Qatar tickets before we were fully refunded.

Edited by psuwara

On 17/04/2021 at 14:19, Canbush said:

Pete

If you do not mind, can you let us know how much we should expect to pay for a repatriation flight? I assume you booked via dfat, incase the booked commercial flights were cancelled. Also any reparation flights departing from Manchester airport?  

Hi.

we only took up the DFAT offer when our commercials got cancelled and we were faced with becoming homeless in the UK.  The flights cost us £1200 each, and then there is A$2500 each quarantine cost at Howard Springs, but you can spread the repayments over 12 months.  Flights are only from London as far as I am aware.

We were bound for Perth so very fortunate with the DFAT flights.  With the WA cap just reduced to 500 per week I have no doubt we would have been bounced again from commercial flights.

Pete

• Thanks 1