• 3 months later...

So, getting frustrated. After waiting 6 months to get to this stage and having previously been registered with AHPRA before , they now want me to prove, that the nursing course I did ( which is the same nursing course that got me previously registered) was taught in English (among other things). I am British, don’t speak any other languages, the course was taught in the UK and I don’t know of UK universities teaching nursing courses predominantly in other languages. They can’t find the certificate of good standing the NMC sent them or the international criminal check which were both sent electronically. Hmm 🤔 

My wife has had to wait 6months to apply for registration, due to her degree not being listed. Once applied it’s been 9 weeks to ask for  further information. Same as Coxy7, they can’t find the certificate of good standing the NMC sent them or the international criminal check which werboth sent electronically.

Hi all,

We waited about 3 months to get through the assessment stage and have now started the registration process.  @2006deant, your 9 weeks wait for the further information request sounds to be a standard timescale according to other forums, so that is what we are setting our stall by.

@Coxy7, @2006deant, you have both mentioned the missing NMC and crime check info.  Has this caused an issue or were they just not looking hard enough?

Way back when we started this process, our immigration agent said that the AHPRA was the last thing to do and will only take a few months from start to finish.  Even with that advice being given before Covid, I'm feel like we have really missed a trick in not starting the registration process a lot sooner, considering the timescales some are experiencing (such are your 6 months to this point).

Although, this is the time of year over there when the majority of native nurses are getting their registrations renewed (due to the end of their academic year and course graduations being around this point).  If this is creating a bottleneck then it should clear rather than persisting.

@girlwander -how are you approaching the travel exemption challenge?

Good luck to us all,

Turns out they weren't looking hard enough it was in a different portal. It's weird that they just send formal email saying it's not there and have you panicking before checking said portal. 

I can hopefully get some certifying done tomorrow and I should be complete. It takes SIGNIFICANTLY longer and is SIGNIFICANTLY harder than it used to be to get registered, maybe immigration agent is not aware of this change in process. I know this having been registered before, they also take absolutely no notice of the fact that I was registered before, hence having to send same documents they already had. 

I would just like to say to anyone who might come across this post. In my experience, having worked in different countries. I think applying for nurse registration is the FIRST thing you should do or at least at the same time as everything else. Definitely do not hold off, it's not always a walk in the park. 

On 07/05/2021 at 08:25, 2006deant said:

My wife has had to wait 6months to apply for registration, due to her degree not being listed. Once applied it’s been 9 weeks to ask for  further information. Same as Coxy7, they can’t find the certificate of good standing the NMC sent them or the international criminal check which werboth sent electronically.

Did you phone the case manager? I downloaded a copy of the one the nmc sent (it's on your nmc login page somewhere) and sent it to the case manager as evidence it had been sent and then she found it. 

On 10/05/2021 at 23:01, Coxy7 said:

Turns out they weren't looking hard enough it was in a different portal. It's weird that they just send formal email saying it's not there and have you panicking before checking said portal. 

I can hopefully get some certifying done tomorrow and I should be complete. It takes SIGNIFICANTLY longer and is SIGNIFICANTLY harder than it used to be to get registered, maybe immigration agent is not aware of this change in process. I know this having been registered before, they also take absolutely no notice of the fact that I was registered before, hence having to send same documents they already had. 

Hi @Coxy7

If you don't mind me asking, what documents have they requested that you get certified?

Thanks

Nic

On 07/05/2021 at 08:25, 2006deant said:

Hi @2006deant

what further info did they request of you? Hope you don’t mind sharing this info. 

Thanks

Nic

Well on the website it says if you can’t get statements of service you can provide pay slips, tax information etc (everything has to be certified, absolutely everything, transcripts, references, I can’t think of a document that hasn’t been certified, money and time at the solicitor has been intense) . However the payslips and tax information weren’t  enough after all so I had to get a statement of service which was very difficult because 2 companies over the last 5 years do not give out references (a weird policy that seems to be adopted more and more in the UK, my husband cannot get a written reference from his workplace either). So I had to fight and go to my boss then HR then HR management and wait a long time for them to agree to give me a very limited statement of service, which I then got certified and can only hope is enough. (And I’m sure HR are still suspicious about it, they really weren’t keen)

You see in Australia there are Justices of the Peace ready and available to certify your documents usually weekly at any shopping centre. Here finding a JP is  virtually impossible and AHPRA aren’t like the passport people where it can be a teacher or a Nurse it has to be a JP or a Notary Public (there are others on the list but the Notary Public was feasible to me).

Me and the (expensive) solicitor are like besties now.

7 minutes ago, Coxy7 said:

Well on the website it says if you can’t get statements of service you can provide pay slips, tax information etc (everything has to be certified, absolutely everything, transcripts, references, I can’t think of a document that hasn’t been certified, money and time at the solicitor has been intense) . However the payslips and tax information weren’t  enough after all so I had to get a statement of service which was very difficult because 2 companies over the last 5 years do not give out references (a weird policy that seems to be adopted more and more in the UK, my husband cannot get a written reference from his workplace either). So I had to fight and go to my boss then HR then HR management and wait a long time for them to agree to give me a very limited statement of service, which I then got certified and can only hope is enough. (And I’m sure HR are still suspicious about it, they really weren’t keen)

You see in Australia there are Justices of the Peace ready and available to certify your documents usually weekly at any shopping centre. Here finding a JP is  virtually impossible and AHPRA aren’t like the passport people where it can be a teacher or a Nurse it has to be a JP or a Notary Public (there are others on the list but the Notary Public was feasible to me).

Me and the (expensive) solicitor are like besties now.

That's good to know, we used a Notary Public for information that was requested at the assessment stage.  We have that stuff to hand anyway I think, so hopefully they won't pull something out of the hat for our application.

Just a waiting game, an expensive and not much fun waiting game.

• 2 months later...

The authority office in my home country emailed me that your certificate of good standing is ready and come to get it. then I myself should post it to AHPRA. Do you know that AHPRA will accept this certificate from me instead of directly sent by the authority office in my home country?

Have you got a case office officer? I’d check with them. Any queries we had with our further evidence or documents were answered promptly and reasonably by our case officer. 

good luck

1 hour ago, Sima said:

The authority office in my home country emailed me that your certificate of good standing is ready and come to get it. then I myself should post it to AHPRA. Do you know that AHPRA will accept this certificate from me instead of directly sent by the authority office in my home country?

• Like 1

On 12/05/2021 at 19:04, Coxy7 said:

I know, I am excited I have submitted my new certified docs so hopefully that’s it and soon I’ll be registered! 🤞

Have you got your present in person letter through? Ours came through and now it’s job hunt time. 

20 hours ago, Sima said:

Probably not. I think they should be able to email it to AHPRA directly.