Born in the UK, living in CQ

CqPom

Hi, 

So I'm from England and have been living over here for 11 years, my eldest son was also born in the UK, his dad is an Aussie so he has citizenship by descent. The siblings were born here so have Aussie citizenship/birth certificates.

My issue now is my eldest is 14 nearly 15 and started working for a friend, so I opened him a bank account but because he is so young he needs ID which he doesn't have...other than his British birth certificate he has no ID... However it was refused because it states at the bottom "not to be used to identification purposes"

What the! It now has me thinking I'm going crazy and must of ordered a second copy of his birth certificate and I lost the original... Do all birth certificates from UK have  "not to be used to identification purposes?"

I just had a quick look at my daughters and it says '' Please note a birth certificate is not evidence of identity''.. I know for my UK born kids, i have always used their UK passport (although expired), birth certificate, Medicare card and citizenship certificate (once we gained it) when setting them up a bank account and had no problems. Can the post office advise what documents you need?

Cal x

Thanks Cal,

ANZ wouldn't use my sons expired UK passport either... they said no to both his birth certificate and his passport, so it had me stumped... I can obviously use a letter from his principal but it has me flabbergasted that his 2 ID's can't be used by ANZ!

Jules x 

• Confused 1

Guest The Pom Queen

ANZ do say they will accept an old passport as long as it isn’t more than 2 years. I’m guessing if you have been here 11 years his may well be. I do agree with Quoll that a passport would be very useful, although it’s not an instant fix.

‘I read somewhere that the Commonwealth don’t require ID so I googled it and this is what I found.

“In some cases, if you already have access to your bank's Internet banking service, you may be able to apply to open a kids bank account online. This is the case if you apply for a CommBank Youthsaver Account, which does not require you to visit a branch to provide proof of ID. However, most kids accounts, including accounts with Westpac, NAB and ANZ, require you to visit your nearest branch in person to provide your personal details and prove your identity.”

16 hours ago, CqPom said:

Hi, 

So I'm from England and have been living over here for 11 years, my eldest son was also born in the UK, his dad is an Aussie so he has citizenship by descent. The siblings were born here so have Aussie citizenship/birth certificates.

My issue now is my eldest is 14 nearly 15 and started working for a friend, so I opened him a bank account but because he is so young he needs ID which he doesn't have...other than his British birth certificate he has no ID... However it was refused because it states at the bottom "not to be used to identification purposes"

What the! It now has me thinking I'm going crazy and must of ordered a second copy of his birth certificate and I lost the original... Do all birth certificates from UK have  "not to be used to identification purposes?"

Yes they do. 

16 hours ago, CqPom said:

Thanks Cal,

ANZ wouldn't use my sons expired UK passport either... they said no to both his birth certificate and his passport, so it had me stumped... I can obviously use a letter from his principal but it has me flabbergasted that his 2 ID's can't be used by ANZ!

Jules x 

An expired passport isn’t considered ID in most situations as it’s not current and therefore not valid. As you’ve seen, a birth certificate isn’t evidence of ID so him having 2 ID’s not strictly true as he has no valid documents. Many UK banks will take a UK birth certificate for under 18’s and that perhaps is the issue there. Your son’s birth certificate is an overseas one and may not be accepted. They simply may not accept any birth certificate. I think you’ll need to get his passport sorted out. It will be handy for many things over the years so a worthwhile investment. 

Edited by Tulip1

Guest AltyMatt

I set up a Spriggy account for my daughter as didn't want to deal with all the id requirements of the main banks. It's ideal for young families but probably not suitable for your son's employer.