One way travel insurance from UK

DavidIII

Hi,

I'm soon to be moving and would like some recommendations on one way travel insurance from the UK to Australia and if anyone has purchased this, what this actually covers and for what period can you obtain this - Should I get it until I can subscribe into medicare  ?

All comments would be most welcome.

Thanks 🙂

24 minutes ago, DavidIII said:

Hi,

I'm soon to be moving and would like some recommendations on one way travel insurance from the UK to Australia and if anyone has purchased this, what this actually covers and for what period can you obtain this - Should I get it until I can subscribe into medicare  ?

All comments would be most welcome.

Thanks 🙂

We used Insureandgo UK. They have a good website, but I set up ours by phone and they were very helpful.

We took out insurance just for the journey (48 hours) as we already had our medicare cards. You can always extend your period of cover if necessary once you arrive here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AliQ said:

We used Insureandgo UK. They have a good website, but I set up ours by phone and they were very helpful.

We took out insurance just for the journey (48 hours) as we already had our medicare cards. You can always extend your period of cover if necessary once you arrive here.

Yup, that’s what we did. Just covered the journey because we’ve got Medicare cards. If you haven’t got Medicare (and possibly private health too) get a longer cover to get yourself set up. You don’t actually subscribe into Medicare - it’s taken out of your pay and rather depends on the visa you arrive on. If you arrive as a PR you get full Medicare coverage but if you’re only temporary you get the basic reciprocal cover and additional private health may be sensible.

Edited by Quoll

Just make sure you don’t get standard holiday insurance. It must be one way insurance. If you get the usual holiday insurance, the terms and conditions are that your trip must start and end in the U.K. Your insurance would be invalid if you wasn’t a round trip. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tulip1 said:

Just make sure you don’t get standard holiday insurance. It must be one way insurance. If you get the usual holiday insurance, the terms and conditions are that your trip must start and end in the U.K. Your insurance would be invalid if you it wasn’t a round trip. 

Totally agree with Tulip1.

Never skimp on travel insurance, it's a long long way to fly and you need that reassurance. 

NEVER be complacent when covering your health when travelling. 

• Like 1

Thanks for these comments.  I’ve not got Medicare yet and will apply once in quarantine assuming you can apply with a short term rental address, so would you recommend extending the cover for about a month ?  Also, if you’re not working immediately, can you still apply for Medicare because we’re planning on taking a few months to settle in and ensure our daughters happy at school.

52 minutes ago, DavidIII said:

Thanks for these comments.  I’ve not got Medicare yet and will apply once in quarantine assuming you can apply with a short term rental address

You are covered by the reciprocal agreement with the NHS from the moment you step off the plane.   Even UK residents here on holiday are covered.    You wouldn't be covered for elective procedures but all you're really worried about in those first few weeks is ensuring you can get treatment if you fall ill - and that is definitely covered.  You don't even need to apply for anything, just prove that you were a UK resident before you arrived. 

You may still wish to extend your travel insurance if you wish to be covered for repatriation to the UK.  Also, be aware that dentistry and spectacles are not covered by Medicare.

53 minutes ago, DavidIII said:

Thanks for these comments.  I’ve not got Medicare yet and will apply once in quarantine assuming you can apply with a short term rental address, so would you recommend extending the cover for about a month ?  Also, if you’re not working immediately, can you still apply for Medicare because we’re planning on taking a few months to settle in and ensure our daughters happy at school.

Thanks 🙂

Your medicare coverage depends on your visa.  If you have a permanent resident visa then you are covered by full medicare as soon as you register for it.  If you are only temporary then you will be on a reciprocal coverage or temporary medicare. Register when you are out of quarantine and have a permanent address otherwise you will be faffing about changing addresses. YOu'll need a permanent address to get a child into school

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

Your medicare coverage depends on your visa.  If you have a permanent resident visa then you are covered by full medicare as soon as you register for it.  If you are only temporary then you will be on a reciprocal coverage or temporary medicare. Register when you are out of quarantine and have a permanent address otherwise you will be faffing about changing addresses. YOu'll need a permanent address to get a child into school

But temporary Medicare will cover you for all emergencies or sudden illnesses, no problem. 

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

But temporary Medicare will cover you for all emergencies or sudden illnesses, no problem. 

Only “necessary” medical cover though but of course if they’re pr then it’s irrelevant. I think that’s a potential trap if anyone is expecting to reside on the reciprocal agreement for any length of time. Emergencies and acute illness no worries. I remember someone a few years ago who was caught because an investigatory procedure was deemed elective but, obviously, not in the mind of the person. Fortunately they discovered that their employer had taken private insurance for them so the procedure was covered. It’s a gamble if relying on the reciprocal agreement long term. 

2 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Only “necessary” medical cover though but of course if they’re pr then it’s irrelevant.

But the point is, the OP is asking about whether they should extend their travel insurance for a few weeks after arrival.  Travel insurance would not cover elective procedures either. So they will be no worse off relying on reciprocal cover for that period of time, which is all they are asking about. 

• Like 2

Travel insurance also covers your valuables.  We had ours cover us on arrival until we got settled and sorted insurance here.  After all we travelled with several thousand pounds worth of electronics, and all my most valuable jewellery.  
Your credit card insurance won’t work as it requires a round trip to be valid.

Although all the one way insurance was pretty poor in terms of valuables it is better than nothing.  We forget just how much phones, lap tops, I pads etc add up to,

• Like 1