Australian Tv in Uk

Roy67

7 hours ago, Roy67 said:

Hi, just wondering if my 2 year old Australian smart Tv will work in the UK ?

With all due respect roy , why bother 

T.Vs are cheap and plentiful here .

Shipping costs - insurance etc 

Forget it , you won't miss neighbours and home and away , once you are back 😀

• Like 1

I disagree entirely with Bunbury61.  We’ve been hesitating between trying to get rid of all our stuff or shipping it back to the UK. I’ve been really surprised to read prices quoted for taking things home which don’t seem that different from how much we paid to bring them out to Oz 14 years ago!  Do a quick add up of how much it will cost to buy a new TV, 3 or 4 decent beds, settee etc. not to mention towels, sheets and all your kitchen stuff.  It makes the removal cost pale into insignificance.  Added to which, you will always have to send some stuff back (photo albums?) so you will have some shipping costs.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your responses.

The TV is only a couple of years old and was quite expensive. It wont actually make any difference to the cost of the container if I take it or not. I was more curious if the TV would actually work due to different frequencies etc. if I sell it here I’ll probably only be able to get a few dollars for it. I think, weighing up the advice given  I’ll probably take it, plug it in and take my chances.

I’ll report back when I plug it in. It’ll either be a great TV or a very expensive, very large CCTV monitor. 

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question.

Cheers Roy

7 minutes ago, Roy67 said:

The TV is only a couple of years old and was quite expensive. It wont actually make any difference to the cost of the container if I take it or not. I was more curious if the TV would actually work due to different frequencies etc. if I sell it here I’ll probably only be able to get a few dollars for it. I think, weighing up the advice given  I’ll probably take it, plug it in and take my chances.

I’ll report back when I plug it in. It’ll either be a great TV or a very expensive, very large CCTV monitor. 

Cheers Roy

Hi Roy, we have recently returned to Australia from the UK, and were told by Sony that our UK TV (smart TV only a few months old) would not work in Australia, regardless of any "add on gadgets". I checked with them because it was a great TV and wanted to ship it over.

Good luck with your move.

2 minutes ago, AliQ said:

Hi Roy, we have recently returned to Australia from the UK, and were told by Sony that our UK TV (smart TV only a few months old) would not work in Australia, regardless of any "add on gadgets". I checked with them because it was a great TV and wanted to ship it over.

Good luck with your move.

Thanks for the heads up. 

We have two TVs that we brought over from the U.K. The oldest was purchased in 2005. We originally bought a free view box so we could watch ‘normal tv’ in Australia but then got a FOXTEL Box for a while before moving on to Apple TV (so a Chromecast would also work). Through this we can watch anything!

19 hours ago, Roy67 said:

Cheers Roy

The tuner built into the TV won't work, but you can get round that by using a set-top box. The rest of its functions (apps etc.) will be ok if you reset the region. What brand/model no. is it?

Edited by Sloth

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...